Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disney to Allow Guests to Schedule Ride and Show Times, Get Room Keys Before Arrival

tests unsafe roller coasts in china blyday's Avatar
    Yes, most other parks now charge for some sort of front of the line pass, including US/IOA and 6 Flags. I just find it un-Disneylike. Although based on threads I've read, there are many who disagree.
    Interestingly enough.....those that disagree are always the ones who can easily afford the extra it costs for the front of the line passes. For me, one of the biggest sells of Disney is that once you have paid to enter the park, you are on the same footing as everyone else there....no matter what your budget is. In our situation, if it were just DH and I going....sure.....we could handle paying extra for them but it rarely is just DH and I that we are paying for. For example.....this upcoming trip, we will have 5 additional people that we are paying for.

The article did mention that Disney is aware of the concerns people have about those who do not plan or do not know to plan. I'm sure somewhere out there, those people are being accounted for....but even then.....I just am not a fan of this idea.

That said.......thanks to a few comments here.....I have come up with a very good point of the whole thing.......Right now, planners know to get to the parks early. If those same planners decide to sleep in because they have their FPs all set up, etc.....well......now those first 2 hours in the morning will be even less crowded!!!!

PS my understanding of online check in is that it changes check in from one line fits all, to an express line for those willing to pump in all the info for them. You still have to / get to speak to a person.
    This is currently the way that online check in works. According to the article, the with the new version, you receive your KTTW in the mail and just go directly to your room or the parks without stopping by a desk and talking to anyone ever!! I'm just not a fan of this idea. On the other hand.....it would be nice for those who are doing a split stay where their package doesn't start for 2 days after they get there as they will already have their tickets.
    Brenda

Will work for Dole Whips. Brandie's Avatar
    My first thought is that I'd hate for this to be a premium service with a premium price tag.

On our Christmas vacation in 2008 all but 2 of our party of 7 were struck with the Norwalk virus. For the second half of our trip we missed most of our ADRs. If I had been on the Dining Plan, I would have been pretty bummed about missing TSs when my family was sitting in our room eating crackers and drinking Sprite. It was bad enough that we'd paid for park tickets we wouldn't be using.

What if I'd paid for a day full of fast passes/show reservations that my family couldn't use because of illness?

will return when the custom user titles improve bdlily's Avatar
    Well, that's just like me to get all excited about something without thinking it through fully. You've all raised some excellent points about the pros/cons to NextGen planning. I hope they really think things through fully as they begin to implement it. I have faith that they will.
    Brooke
    WDW- CR '80, GF '89, GF '95, GF '01, GF '04, Poly '05, BWI '07, BC '07, AoA '13
    DL- DLH '88, Best Western '09, GCH '10, GCH '11

South Georgia, yeah its Disney World hot here.
    I can't say that I could "easily afford" anything at Disney, but the option would be nice.
    Craig

flickr

Still recalls that Hollywood & Vine's food was unmemorable
    Born in Brooklyn, you never really leave no matter where you live
    I completely agree about the 6 month out reservations. I find myself making multi ADRs because I'm not sure when I will able to eat at a certain place. I usually don't reserve for 2 places at the same time. But I can't make reservations more than a month or two out.

I'll never eat at certain restaurants (you know the ones!) and I just have to deal with it. But if that became true of key attractions, it would stink!

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case vatmark's Avatar
    I wonder how many slots they would allow per ride. I'm assuming that if they have this "plan your ride" thing then they would reduce the number of regular FP's allotted. Will it be a per ride price or set price for your entire stay? What if you pay for it and can't even get that many rides scheduled? You figure everyone wants to schedule the top rides in each park and there is only a few in each park that fit that category. Most people are not going to schedule those rides first thing in the morning. The people who never make rope drop and walk in around 10:30am will schedule the rides for 10:30 or later and those who normally do rope drop to get on the top rides will now want to schedule them later as well so they can sleep in. Hmmmmm this may be a good thing. Rope drop will be less crowded.

Ann

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to remain hopeful that this will not be a service that come with a price tag. I have my faith in Disney, since it has always stayed true to Walt's vision, in that it's a place that an average family can enjoy. It's not just a destination reserved for the affluent, and everyone is treated the same (yes, I understand that there are deluxe resorts and signature restaurants).

That is one of the things that I don't like about Universal. If you're able to pay a premium, you can get a 'go straight to the start of the line' ticket - at the expense of others waiting in the lines. Those waiting in line, watching 'them' pass by, are made to feel like second class citizens. Disney would never make a guest feel like that.

My hope is that it's just an upgrade to the FP system, in that you don't have to go to the attraction to get the FP. And maybe you can get one a bit in advance.

And, yes, I do have a bit of Polly Anna syndrome.
    Janine

And, yes, I do have a bit of Polly Anna syndrome.
    edith

[AKL 11/06 | POLY 9/07 | POLY 11/08 | CSR 9/09 | BC/POLY 7-8/10 | BLT 1/11 | AKV 1/12 | BLT/POLY 9/13]

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    They're probably planning to make some of those billions back by firing most of your front desk staff
    That's something else that bothered me too. My DH said they'd still have to have a front desk and people up front but I'm willing to bet it would be a very small staff and friendly customer service would be lacking.
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

I'm not sure I like it. I already feel like needing ADRs to eat pretty much anywhere is overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by blyday View Post

This is currently the way that online check in works. According to the article, the with the new version, you receive your KTTW in the mail and just go directly to your room or the parks without stopping by a desk and talking to anyone ever!! I'm just not a fan of this idea.
    If I'm not stopping at the hotel before i head to a park, what am I doing with my carry-on luggage?
    (Just) Karen

Wake me up at the end of the meal
    When I first heard of this I thought it sounded like a great idea. But I agree with some of the other posts. I hate the idea of having to call 6 months in advance to make ADR's. I remember a day when you could get into any restaurant on the day you went to the park, you made your ADR's when you arrived that day. Although I like to plan my park day, I like flexibility and don't think I want to plan every second of my day. I also think that if you know how to use FP's effectively it is great, but it does make stand by lines even longer. It gets to the point that if you don't have a FP forget about going on that ride. I am not sure I am in favor of this change.

staying at best friends pet care while her dogs enjoy the grand floridian Husker Mouse's Avatar
    I agree with blyday 100%!!!! I live 1400 miles from WDW. I spend a lot in airfare to just get my family there. I can't be nickled and dimed anymore. They may take the Parks and make it easier for the wealthy while those of us who scrimp and save like us (Saturday night and Hamburger Helper) can't be on an even playing field. I really don't think this is what Walt ever intended I hope it doesn't become a park for the wealthy!

makes josh ride in the passenger seat Rhonda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    With a price tag of one billion dollars plus, ......
    I'm not willing to pay that much for a FP............ (sorry, that just kind of cracked me up)
    Rhonda (obviously)

2009~CBR
    2010~AKV
    2010~POP
    2011~POR
    2012~ASMo (mom and son trip)
    /with 2 "I won a contest" nights at POFQ!
    2012~POP
    2013~POR
    2014~ASSp

Our August 2011 Trip Report

Prefers the 14 hour drive from WEST Virginia over the queue for Tomorrowland Speedway sherry1015's Avatar
    I'm not really sure I like the idea of reserving a time to go to a show or to go on a ride. A lot of unexpected things happen while on vacation and what if you don't show up for your scheduled time?? That would be wasting a lot of space for other guests....I think it's ridiculous that you have to make dining reservations 6 months in advance and now this.....I mean give me a break...I love going to disney but I would hate to be this planned for a vacation.