Thread: 1brm vs studio

what do we do when we're there?

1brm vs studio

is it best to do studios on F/S and 1 brm for the rest? Thanks
    Last edited by Canwegosoon; 08-06-2012 at 10:05 PM.

expert on dietary needs and disney dining clanmcculloch's Avatar
    Best is relative. Is the savings of two nights in a studio worth it to you to have to change rooms? What's your reasoning for wanting a 1br over a studio? I know what my reasoning would be and how important that is to me but only you know what it means to you.

I didn't understand the question either - what are you trying to accomplish?

I wouldn't change rooms unless there was some very good reason for it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    It's an amusement park, for goodness sake, how much planning could you need?

don't ask me to spin in circles mdsd8700's Avatar
    We enjoy split stays so switching is never an issue for us. We have ony been DVC members 2 years so we haven't had a lot of practice using our points in different scenarios. However if you trying to save some points and try out a couple different resorts at the same time then a studio on Fri/Sat and a 1 bedroom on the weekdays would be a good way to do it. Of course there is less room in a studio but if your family doesn't mind for a couple of nights and of course you don't mind the switch it can save some points if you are going to need them for another trip. There are lots of combinations of studio/one bedroom stays that I am sure you can find (given availability....which is key) when looking at the point charts. It could be a fun mental exericise to see what is the best way to conserve points.

he's right
    I did not get into timesharing so that I could stay in hotel rooms. And a studio is just a fancy hotel room.

Okay, *maybe* if it were just my wife and I, but even then, we really really prefer a 1BR, and we generally limit ourselves to a 2BR with the kids. We like to keep the living room a living room.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    I did not get into timesharing so that I could stay in hotel rooms. And a studio is just a fancy hotel room.
    And a Disney studio isn't even as fancy as a standard room at the corresponding resort. One queen bed and one sleeper sofa is hardly enough for two, let alone four.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

As odd as this sounds the only thing that I am looking forward to is the inroom laundry. I can not stand the fact that there is a kitchen- there I said it out loud

Granted- I purchased DVC knowing it had kitchen...but I cook 51 weeks out of the year- and I want a week off. So I can ignore the whole kitchen area- but I must do laundry every 3 days and we generally go 9-10 days.

We do not have a ton of points- 231...but I have a few left from this year 19...and I can borrow from 2014

We want to do bwv/akv and of course we are talking 3/28-4/5 or 4/6 2013...yes Easter- Can do 1-2 nights cash to facilitate rooms...and will move up to two times. So I am trying to maximize without using 2 years worth of points. I feel like I am asking a lot...

Wake me up at the end of the meal
    I understand your goal to save points. Instead of paying cash for 1-2 nights maybe you should rent points from someone. I would also point out there is no inroom laundry in a studio. Although if you would only be staying in a studio 2 nights shouldn't be a big deal.
    Wendy

Oct 1995: Treehouse Villas (Village Resort); Oct 1999: BWV; Mar 2000: POR; Feb 2001: Orange Lake; Jan 2003: AS Sports; Nov 2005: Vistana; Apr 2007: SSR; Apr 2009: BCV; Nov 2009: BWV; Apr 2011: BCV; Dec 2011: BCV; March 2013: BCV; Nov 2013: OKW; Apr 2014: AKL; Nov 2014: BWV; Feb 2015: BCV; Oct 2015: SSR; Mar 2018: BCV; Feb 2019: BCV; Dec 2019: BCV; Jan 2020: BLT

The laundry is why I want to upgrade from our usual studio...sure the extra room will be nice...but it is not my top priority- the laundry is- I think I sound a little strange.

I am kicking around 28/29/30 in a studio...then 31/1/2/3 in a 1brm and then 4/5(poss 3/4/5 because of our move to aKL)in a studio again

Quote Originally Posted by Canwegosoon View Post
    ...but I cook 51 weeks out of the year- and I want a week off. So I can ignore the whole kitchen area- ...
    I couldn't agree more. I never cook on vacation and can't figure a time when I would want to. I do like the full size fridge.

Of course you can only purchase 24, but there are always the one time points from Disney. They do have some restrictions:

You can get them once per use year
    They are $15 each and expire according to the use year of the reservation booked and are non-refundable, non-transferable and cannot be banked or borrowed.
    They can't be used for any WL or applied to existing reservations
    Must be used at 7 months

I did not know about the one time points- I will look into that

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Laundry facilities at DVC properties for studio guests are free, so if you don't care about the extra room in a 1BR and don't mind a trip to the laundry (most - all? - are located by a pool) you'll save your points and have laundry, though it will be less convenient than in-unit.

I did not know about the one time points- I will look into that
    If you wanted more than the 24 points Disney will sell you. You can try the TimeShare store. They now rent points, $12 each I think. I have never done it myself but I think you tell them what you are looking for and if they can find it they transfer the points to your account. You can only transfer in/out once per use year, so if you wanted to try this you couldn't have had a previous transfer for the UY. I had read good things about TSS for not only their DVC resale but also this newer point renting which started about a year ago I beleive.

The laundry is why I want to upgrade from our usual studio...sure the extra room will be nice...but it is not my top priority- the laundry is- I think I sound a little strange.

I am kicking around 28/29/30 in a studio...then 31/1/2/3 in a 1brm and then 4/5(poss 3/4/5 because of our move to aKL)in a studio again
    Hey, we all can have strange reasons for wanting to upgrade. My main reason for "needing" a 1 BR is the two TVs. DH plunks himself in front of the main TV and it only gets two channels-ESPN and the Golf Channel all vacation (the vacation where he spends as much time as possible watching said TV).
    I used to agree with you 1 BR Sun-Thurs, then studio on F/S. However, in the past few years, DVC has readjusted points so that now you don't use so many more points on weekends. So now we're more likely to stay put-the extra points aren't that many more to make it worth it to us to move.

I have started to book thanks to some great advice here...what I am doing is
    28/29/30 in a studio bwv
    31/1/2 in a 1brm bwv
    3/4/5 in a studio at AKL.

I figure this would get me the laundry when I want. I am still considering a 1 brm at AKL or BWV supplementing with 2014 points. Not thrilled to be switching 2 times- but it is doable and I do think we will enjoy the extra room. Might have to just tell myself that it will be ok to splurge on a bigger unit and less vacations or vacations over less busy times now that the kids are going to hs.

Thanks all!!!