Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: Fitness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Laurensara View Post
    Ok, running experts, I have a question for you. I have done a few 5Ks but I am very slow with my run/walking. 40 minutes is about as good as it gets for me. My friend has run several half marathons. She really wants me to sign up for the Pittsburgh half with her in May 2015. Is this even possible for me? I think it would be great to say that I finished a half marathon, but I don't know if I enjoy running enough to do it. Is 6 months enough time to get ready and will I get slightly faster if I commit to running/walking 3 or 4 days a week?
    Hi Lauren- absolutely! I think if you stick with training, you'll absolutely be able to pick up your distance and speed. I've run the Pittsburgh half twice, its such a great race. Since you live in Pittsburgh you know better than anyone that you'll need to add some hill training to your schedule since that city is not flat and there is a big hill near mile 11-12. The second time I ran the race I was coming off a foot injury and did a lot of walking. I finished in 3 hours and 11 minutes. There were still a fair amount of people who were running and walking with me. I'd check out some run/walk training programs if you think that is your best way to finish the race. I know there are a lot of people who swear by a run a few minutes, walk a minute, repeat.

I may see in you Pittsburgh, that is the marathon I'm hoping to register for!!!
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/dreambuildertricia

Quote Originally Posted by beachta1 View Post
    Thanks Tayna and Stephanie!! I have been thinking about running a marathon and this race gave me the green light. I think I can I think I can!
    Funny how that happens, After each race I set my sites on the next one. I remember when I trained for MONTHS for my first 5k, then thought I think I can do a 10k and now I'm signed up for a 1/2 Marathon. I fully expect if I don't crash at the end of wine and dine that I'll have caught a marathon bug as well. Good for you and yes, if you think you can, YOU MOST CERTAINLY WILL. :)
    Stephanie, Lexington 11, Cadence 9, Jacob 7

In training for first WINE AND DINE HALF MARATHON November 2014

Sept 2013 Beach Club Resort (Free Dining)
    Nov 2011 Contemporary Resort Hotel (Free Dining)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurensara View Post
    Ok, running experts, I have a question for you. I have done a few 5Ks but I am very slow with my run/walking. 40 minutes is about as good as it gets for me. My friend has run several half marathons. She really wants me to sign up for the Pittsburgh half with her in May 2015. Is this even possible for me? I think it would be great to say that I finished a half marathon, but I don't know if I enjoy running enough to do it. Is 6 months enough time to get ready and will I get slightly faster if I commit to running/walking 3 or 4 days a week?
    If you stick to a training plan and take it slow you will absolutely be able to do it. This is coming from a 50 year lady who just started running last year and never thought she would complete a 5k. Don't even think about the pace, work up to the distance no matter how slow, then if there is time you can work on improving the pace. I do run/walk intervals the entire race. I say go for it, you will be happy and proud.
    Stephanie, Lexington 11, Cadence 9, Jacob 7

In training for first WINE AND DINE HALF MARATHON November 2014

Sept 2013 Beach Club Resort (Free Dining)
    Nov 2011 Contemporary Resort Hotel (Free Dining)

I 100% agree that training slow is the way to go. I feel like I just learned that lesson and I've been running for awhile now. When I stop caring about my pace and just thinking about going for it, I feel much more satisfied after a run. There is no pressure to be a certain speed or finish in a certain time. Its just getting out there and taking it one step at a time.
    Tricia

Lauren - Trust the training and get the distance in! That's ultimately what's more important, as noted by the above posts. Get the distance in. Even if you walk a majority of it. Six months is plenty of time to train for a half. Walk/run is a great way to start.

FWIW, after my back injury (1 year ago!) I slowly got back into running by walking. I walked 1 mile a day for nearly two months, sans pain. Then I just slowly added 1/4 mile each time. Eventually got up to walking 3 miles, and then tried throwing in some running. I used a generous ratio of run 1 minute/walk 4 minutes (5 minute blocks are easier for math in my head). Once that became easy, I changed it to 1:30/3:30, and so on and so on adding 30 seconds to the running portion each time I felt ready to increase. Then I added more distance, also just a little at a time. I was, perhaps, super cautious with my increasing of time and distance because I did not want a relapse with my herniated disc. But my rambling point of my story is that if you just add a little bit at a time, even just 1/2 mile more every two weeks, it all adds up. And it's easier on your body with a good six months to do this. Eventually, you will be able to add 1 mile per week more, but for starters maybe just try a 1/2 mile and see how it goes.

Above all though, get the distance in and don't worry about that pace. Eventually the pace will catch up to you as you get stronger.
    Tanya

Medals received : 08 WDW Half ~ 10 Princess Half + 10 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 11 WDW Full ~ 11 Wine & Dine Half ~ 12 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 12 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 13 Half + Full = GOOFY ~ 13 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare + C2C ~ 14 January Marathon Volunteer ~ 14 ToT 10 miler ~ 15 DOPEY Challenge ~ 15 Avengers ~ 17 cxld Half ~ 2017 DLParis

Medals pending : 2021 Star Wars, 2023 Glass Slipper + Tink

I have never missed a race I was healthy for, but seriously considering ditching a Half Ironman I have this weekend.

Race start is at 7:30 and temps at 7 am are forecasted to be 28 with a wind chill of 19. Hopping on the bike about 8 am and it should warm up to a balmy 31 with a wind chill of 25. By the time I would end the bike it shouldn't be so bad in the mid 40's, but I'm really starting to think about sitting this one out.

We all must be out of shape... this thread has been quiet for awhile!!

Ran 8 miles yesterday, it was hard to complete. Need to get a few more long runs in before the half, but not expecting a PR after yesterday. I was running into the wind for the 2nd half of the run which didn't help...
    Tricia

Hahaha.... Or just busy running!

I finished Dopey 2 weeks ago. So that was a lot of running for training. I just took 2 weeks off and it was amazing. :)

Back to maintenance running now. Just keeping it around 20 miles/week or so. And if I see the right race on the horizon, I'll sign up. Otherwise, no real plans until the Gasparilla Challenge in Tampa, 2016. I'm also hoping to get in the lottery for the Big Sur marathon next April.

You'll do great come race day Tricia! Remember that Disney races aren't for PR's. Just try to relax and have fun with it!
    Tanya

Medals received : 08 WDW Half ~ 10 Princess Half + 10 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 11 WDW Full ~ 11 Wine & Dine Half ~ 12 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 12 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 13 Half + Full = GOOFY ~ 13 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare + C2C ~ 14 January Marathon Volunteer ~ 14 ToT 10 miler ~ 15 DOPEY Challenge ~ 15 Avengers ~ 17 cxld Half ~ 2017 DLParis

Quote Originally Posted by runDisneygirl View Post
    Hahaha.... Or just busy running!

I finished Dopey 2 weeks ago. So that was a lot of running for training. I just took 2 weeks off and it was amazing. :)

Back to maintenance running now. Just keeping it around 20 miles/week or so. And if I see the right race on the horizon, I'll sign up. Otherwise, no real plans until the Gasparilla Challenge in Tampa, 2016. I'm also hoping to get in the lottery for the Big Sur marathon next April.

You'll do great come race day Tricia! Remember that Disney races aren't for PR's. Just try to relax and have fun with it!
    I want to hear about your race! Will you be sharing any type of TR with us?
    Tricia

Quote Originally Posted by beachta1 View Post
    We all must be out of shape...
    Hey! Round IS a shape

I've actually lost 13 pounds since early December, Yay Me!

I haven't been able to do a lot of activity because of a compressed nerve in my spine but I'm eating so good and I'm looking forward to it instead of being like meh a carrot lol

I found these things called Mason Jar Salads - and they looked SO good

So I went to buy Mason Jars and of course they didn't have any so I got these plastic jars instead ....and every Sunday I make three Salads for me, and three for BF and on Wednesday night I make them again for Thursday and Friday and I switch up what was in the salad the first 3 days of the week so it doesn't get boring.

different kinds of lettuce, spinach, cukes, onions, carrots, pumpkin seeds, raisins, some crunchy stuff that I'm not sure what the mix is lol, corn, red peppers, blueberries, strawberries, cuties, chix, tuna, eggs

If you look up Mason Jar Salads it tells you to put the dressing at the bottom and build up but since we had to get bigger plastic jars we're just adding the dressing afterwards but after 6 salads I still haven't hit half way thru it yet :)

This time I really do want to focus on the activity in my life because I've lost weight so many times and it comes back when I'm "Off my diet" so I wanted to focus on getting and staying active - but with my back/leg...it'll come it'll come it'll come :)

oh and I got new sneakers and a fitbit this weekend! :)
    Last edited by TiggerGirl; 01-26-2015 at 03:57 PM.
    CR Jan 18-23 2018 YC Jan 23-28

You go!! I have seen the mason jar salads but have not tried them! That is so great they are working for you and that you can find variety. I think that is one of the hardest parts for people when it comes to losing weight, eating the same five health foods over and over. Its easier when you can enjoy and mix it up!!
    Tricia

Thanks!

I'll just eat what's in front of me - whether it's grapes, oranges or M&M's. And if I don't bring it in to work there are pretty much zero healthy choices so I eat doritos and rice krispy squares and powdered donuts.

This is...well 13 pounds ago was...the biggest i've ever been. I'm now 3 pounds below where I was when I tried again and I lost 50 pounds

Food is my crutch and after my sister died I just didn't care about anything including myself. but I'm so uncomfortable and I'm too young to be so inactive. so here I go :)

I appreicate your encouragement and support!
    CR Jan 18-23 2018 YC Jan 23-28

No TR from me. I'm too lazy. But if you have specific questions, ask away!
    Tanya

How goes it, easy fitness peeps?

I fell of the fitness wagon after Dopey. Fell off, got run over, and am laying in a ditch! Starting to slowly get back at it. I think I was burned out. It's been a nice break but time to get back at it.

Signed up for Avengers in Disneyland in November, plus a 5k and a 10k this summer. Need some mojo! Hope all is well.
    Tanya

Ran the Cherry Blossom 10 miler in DC recently, it went well! 11 minute mile pace, ran the entire time! I don't have any other races I'm registered for, which makes me sad. I feel like races always give me something to aspire to!
    Tricia

I'm starting my "Run towards turning 40" with a 5K this fall (Yeungling Octoberfest in Bethlehem PA) so I JUST started getting back into my training. My basic plan is:
    Oct '15 - Octoberfest 5K
    Nov '15 - Turkey Trot 5K
    March '16 - Get your Rear in Gear 4mi
    Oct '16 - Rock n Roll Half
    and the biggie:
    Feb '17 - Princess Half!

I'm sure there will be some other things that pop up, but I know that I NEED to have them planned or else I'll get lazy and put it off ;)

Congrats on the Cherry Blossom run Tricia! Want to come to Philly and run with me next year?? ;)

Looks great ladies! Yep, I discovered I really need a race in my future or I have no reason to get off the couch. I mean, I walk the dogs 4 times a day, but it's speedwalk - sniff - speedwalk - sniff........ Having that goal of a race, and a PR, really really helps. :)
    Tanya

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyW View Post
    I'm starting my "Run towards turning 40" with a 5K this fall (Yeungling Octoberfest in Bethlehem PA) so I JUST started getting back into my training. My basic plan is:
    Oct '15 - Octoberfest 5K
    Nov '15 - Turkey Trot 5K
    March '16 - Get your Rear in Gear 4mi
    Oct '16 - Rock n Roll Half
    and the biggie:
    Feb '17 - Princess Half!

I'm sure there will be some other things that pop up, but I know that I NEED to have them planned or else I'll get lazy and put it off ;)

Congrats on the Cherry Blossom run Tricia! Want to come to Philly and run with me next year?? ;)

What RNR Half are you doing?