Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by texhanddoc View Post
    George.. you should look into CrossFit. I have been doing it for 6 months now. Its been my favorite workout routine, style, etc. of everything I have done, including P90X and Insanity.
    Doc I answered right before I saw you post this. See how we think alike lol!?
    Empty your mind. Become formless and shapeless, like water. When water is poured into a cup, it becomes the cup. When water is poured into a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Be water, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by beachta1 View Post
    I think signing up for the race and then telling everyone you are going to do it absolutely makes you accountable for finishing it!!! People will ask you about training and support you leading up to the race. Once you complete the race, you'll be an inspiration for others to do the same. If I can do it, anyone can do it!
    I'm hoping so! I've also talked one friend into doing it with me and have 2 more that are thinking about it. So it's not just my money I'm investing, but not I've got them counting on me too.

Getting out and running this morning was miserable. The humidity is miserable. It felt like I was breathing water.
    Princess Half Marathon 2013, Glass Slipper Challenge 2014, Tower of Terror 10 miler 2014

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beachta1 View Post
    Congrats to all of you starting running!! I ran my first half marathon in May and I know how much hard work goes into it. I started a training schedule in January, but those first few weeks were very cold. I tried doing some inside running but I'd much rather be pounding pavement.

My advice to any of you would be to stick with it, to buy great running shoes, and to watch your diet. I know that I had some lbs to lose and watching what I ate while training made me lose even more!! I promise, as the pounds come off, it becomes much easier to run. Overall I lost 15lbs while training which was great. I finished the race in 2:26 and under 2 and a half hours was my goal. I'm hoping to run the same race in May again!!
    Wow! That's fast.
    Janine

Thanks for starting this thread Mr. Baloo. It is very difficult for me to be motivated to run during the week. This actually is helping a lot!
    Brandi

Just the motivation I needed Mr. Baloo. This fellow CPA will start too. Just have to remind myself, every month has a 15 in it. Life must go on.

I looked in the mirror one day in June and didn't like how I looked. Stepped on the scale and said HOLY CRAP 246 pounds. Saw an informercial for Tapout XT and said hey that looks like something I can do.

June 24th I started it . On my 30th day I was down 23 pounds, 7 BMI Points and 3 inches off my waist.

Looking forward to seeing my results in another 58 days.

I have also started walking a mile and jogging a mile 3 days a week.

I went from eating 90% junk food to 90% healthy food. I also cut out my 12 pack a day of diet pepsi and drink water only

George, I was also going to suggest P90X. Despite the cheesy infomercials, it's a really good program for strength, endurance, and flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by SS Disney View Post
    Just the motivation I needed Mr. Baloo. This fellow CPA will start too. Just have to remind myself, every month has a 15 in it. Life must go on.
    Yup, we either have a deadline or a deadline to prepare for. Throw in 2 kids and it really gets crazy.

W1D2 went great, looking forward to D3 tonight before the Olympic Ceremonies.

I'm heading out to do W5D3 of C25K. And it's not even 9pm yet. The heat finally broke here in MN and it is a very lovely, not humid 80 degrees outside. I'm hoping the cooler weather will help when I get to that first "jog 10 minutes" section. I can do this, right? I mean, I just did 8 min on Wed. 2 more min. is nothing, right? Right?
    Me (Heather) DH (Patrick)
    DS16 (Alex) DD5 (Savannah)

I would sell my soul to the devil for the heat to break. I have an ugly, itchy heat rash on my chest. And my BIL is getting married next Sat. I got all excited when the weatherman this morning said our morning temps will be dipping into the high 60s. Of course with 97% humidity, I don't think that's going to help my chest look less diseased.
    Princess Half Marathon 2013, Glass Slipper Challenge 2014, Tower of Terror 10 miler 2014

googled C25K, just finished W1D2, D3 on Sunday (normal running buddy is out of town). Thanks for all the inspiration!
    Brandi

Week 1 is down... I may add 2 more days of week 1 and 2 days of week 2 next week...

Heat to break??? Heck not till end of Sept here.

Hey Brandi. Did you get a final Hubig fix for a while?... I didn't :(

For those starting c25k don't be afraid to stretch out the weeks a bit it will help later and prevent getting discouraged. Be honest with yourself about your fitness level. What is there to loose if you go extra weeks? You are still excersizing.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    I did six weeks of P90X, then spent a week eating through the DDP and never got back on the horse. In those six weeks though I made incredible strides toward levels of fitness I hadn't experienced in years.

I just started a new job at a University and I'll be joining the gym August 1st. I've often said that I'd love to run one of the Disney Half Marathons, and with my position requiring frequent travel to Florida, the stars might be aligned for running the Disney Half in January 2014. 18 months should be enough time to train, right? :D
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

18 months better be enough! I'm doing the Princess Half with only 7 months to train!

I'm going to trying changing my running time. I'm a morning runner. I prefer it, and it means I don't have to worry about what to do with the kids. It's so crazy humid in the mornings. I checked the forecast tonight, and while technically the temp is higher than in the mornings, the real feel is lower. 67% humidity isn't great, but it's significantly better than the 97% humidity we had at 7 AM. There's a 1/3 mile track near my house with a playground in the middle. I don't like running there, but I can run while the kids play.

don't ask me to spin in circles mdsd8700's Avatar
    I just found this thread and will continue to read along but thought I would post since I run everyday, well nearly everyday; about 360 days out of the year.

I started running 7 years ago and until then I had never exercised a day in my life but was lucky enough when I was young to be able to eat what I wanted and maintain my weight. That changed as I got older. By the time I was 38 I was heavier than I had ever been, although still not overweight (but close) and unhappy with being so. With no real goal in mind one day I got on the treadmill and I am not sure what came over me but I became incredibly focused and running became my thing. I started to change the way I eat and drink. Went organic and really incorporated water which I never drank before. In 5 months I was up to running 6 miles a day and I lost 38 pounds (but I always round to 40....LOL!). I was as thin as I was in high school and could completely feel the difference in my energy level. I have never gained the weight back and continue to run, but only do 4 miles a day now. I don't eat quite as well as I used to but still watch my intake. I can honestly say I don't think I have every enjoyed running although there are days it isn't so bad. Now it is as much a part of my day as getting out of bed and although not my favorite thing I couldn't image not doing it. I probably should add some strength training to my routine if only a few times a week but I can't seem to do it.

I have always wanted to run in a Disney race, one of the shorter ones anyway hopefully someday I will.

I have enjoyed reading this thread thanks to everyone for posting. I don't know many people who like to talk about exercise!

.... passing thought.. and possible motto of the future thread....

... to all who come to this happy place.... GET MOVING!!!

great story mdsd8700... I see your heading to your first food and wine fest.... you will have a wonderful time! Wife and I did that along 1.5 years ago... man, what a great day we had...
    Look for the Bear Necessities.....

BCV - Mar '13, Dec '13
    BWV - Feb '04
    CBR - May '07
    CSR - Apr '12
    DOL - Nov '09, Apr '11
    POFQ - Feb '05
    POLY - Aug '10
    POP - Feb '08
    OKW - Aug '10
    SoG - Nov '00
    SSR - Dec ' 12
    WL - May '02, Feb '09,
    offsite - Nov '92

I started the C25K and Jillain Micheal's 30 Day Shred at the beginning of July with the goal of losing about 15 pounds. Up til this point the only exercise I was doing was walking maybe once or twice a week. About two weeks into both programs I stepped on the scales and had gained 8 lbs!!! I was journaling my food each day and counting Points with Weight Watchers, so I don't think food was the issue. Anyway I got so frustrated with the weight gain despite my hardwork, I haven't done anything in about two weeks. I thought maybe you guys who have been doing this a while might have some insight as to why I was gaining instead of losing. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Baloo View Post
    Hey Brandi. Did you get a final Hubig fix for a while?... I didn't :(
    Me neither! I tried last night. The guy at Rouses laughed. They were sold out first thing in the morning in about 5 minutes. There was a serious run on Hubig's pies.
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by sltimmons View Post
    About two weeks into both programs I stepped on the scales and had gained 8 lbs!!! I was journaling my food each day and counting Points with Weight Watchers, so I don't think food was the issue. Anyway I got so frustrated with the weight gain despite my hardwork, I haven't done anything in about two weeks. I thought maybe you guys who have been doing this a while might have some insight as to why I was gaining instead of losing. Thanks in advance!
    Man... that is a bummer... dont get frustrated... it is difficult to tell, but it really boils down to calories in and calories out, in the simplest sense of the rules... My personal beliefs are that we should eat 5-6 smaller meals/snacks a day so that we do not reach that boiling point where we loose control over our food intake. Also, watching those white carbs, white bread, rice and potatoes. At 290, I am definatly not a living example of this belief, but have a lot of experience loosing and re-loosing those 50 lbs to be where I like to be, 240.

There had to be some calorie slippage there... maybe uncharted snacking or tasting before a meal? if not, maybe eating the wrong foods either together, or at the wrong times??? had to be something there. Also, I think our bodies go through cycles.... sometimes the weight just falls off... other times it takes all week to loose that 2 lbs. There are many factors to weight loss, maybe something was there to cause fluid retention??? Your case is a really good puzzler....???

Also, I find that working out, tends to boost my hunger, and psychologically, I feel that i can eat them because I am working out faithfully. This doesnt result in any weight loss.

Dont get frustrated and just keep at it. It will eventually come. You will learn how your body works and make adjustments along the way to help in the weight loss.

BCV - Mar '13, Dec '13
    BWV - Feb '04
    CBR - May '07
    CSR - Apr '12
    DOL - Nov '09, Apr '11
    POFQ - Feb '05
    POLY - Aug '10
    POP - Feb '08
    OKW - Aug '10
    SoG - Nov '00
    SSR - Dec ' 12
    WL - May '02, Feb '09,
    offsite - Nov '92

Hey all, GREAT NEWS!!!!

I did some calender work yesterday, right before the battery died on my laptop, and even taking it slow during C25K, I typically do 4 days over 1.25 weeks rather than 3 days a week, I can still possibly run my 2nd half on December 15th, the Old Man River Half Marathon. I was really stoked because I thought I had started too late to get it in. It really boosted my commitment to the program again. Yippee Kai Yay!!!!!!!

Anywho... on to week two!!!!!!!!

BCV - Mar '13, Dec '13
    BWV - Feb '04
    CBR - May '07
    CSR - Apr '12
    DOL - Nov '09, Apr '11
    POFQ - Feb '05
    POLY - Aug '10
    POP - Feb '08
    OKW - Aug '10
    SoG - Nov '00
    SSR - Dec ' 12
    WL - May '02, Feb '09,
    offsite - Nov '92

don't ask me to spin in circles mdsd8700's Avatar
    .... great story mdsd8700... I see your heading to your first food and wine fest.... you will have a wonderful time! Wife and I did that along 1.5 years ago... man, what a great day we had...
    Thanks! Very much looking forward to our first F&W Trip.

My personal beliefs are that we should eat 5-6 smaller meals/snacks a day so that we do not reach that boiling point where we loose control over our food intake. Also, watching those white carbs, white bread, rice and potatoes.
    I couldn't agree more with this. When I began excercising and trying to lose weight the pounds came off most quickly and easily when I switched to eating totally healthy. No processed foods at all. Only organic. Absoultely no high fructose corn syrup or anything white; bread, rice, potatoes etc. I admit I went a bit insane and my kids made fun of me since I bought organic everything; sugar, flour and even ketchup. If it passed lips it had nothing artificial. As well I kept myself on a fairly low daily calorie intake but as Mr. Baloo said I ate more often. I paid more for the food for sure but coupled with my daily running it worked great. However I am no expert and only know what worked for me.
    Last edited by mdsd8700; 07-29-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Good work you guys! Keep in mind that sometimes it takes quite a while to physically see any results. 2 weeks is really the minimum time to notice anything different. 4 weeks is more likely. Your body is going through lots of changes when you start exercising. I'm not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV), but rather speaking from experience. Having started up training programs about 7 times now, there's always a little adjustment period where your body gets used to a new routine. Every body is different! And an adjustment period when you stop! Keep it up though, the rewards will be worth it!
    Tanya

Medals received : 08 WDW Half ~ 10 Princess Half + 10 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 11 WDW Full ~ 11 Wine & Dine Half ~ 12 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 12 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 13 Half + Full = GOOFY ~ 13 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare + C2C ~ 14 January Marathon Volunteer ~ 14 ToT 10 miler ~ 15 DOPEY Challenge ~ 15 Avengers ~ 17 cxld Half ~ 2017 DLParis

Medals pending : 2021 Star Wars, 2023 Glass Slipper + Tink

Well W2D1 went pretty well... it was really hot so I took it extra easy. Looking forward to fall in Nov.

Hey y'all, just joining in here. I started back up with C25K again this morning and just completed W2D1. Humidity wasn't too bad early this morning so it was actually bearable. We'll see how Thursday and Saturday go since it's supposed to be heating up again later this week.

Oh, and it's totally unfair to even bring up Hubig's pies on a fitness thread :-)
    Alison

early 80s: off site ~ 1994: off site ~ Jan 2011: off site ~ Feb 2011: POR ~ Dec 2011: POR ~ Feb 2012: off site ~ Aug 2012: POR
    Sep 2012: Honeymoon at BC and AKL ~
    Dec 2012: Swan ~ Xmas 2012: BC CL ~ April 2013: Dolphin ~ Aug 2013: Poly
    Aug/Sept 2013: BC anniversary trip ~ Sept 2014: Dolphin/Universal anniversary trip ~ Jan 2015: BWI w/just the princesses
    June 2015: Contemporary ~ Sept 2015: POP ~ Aug 2015: BWV anniversary trip ~ Oct 2016: Dolphin ~ Nov 2016: BWI - Dapper Day

Thanks for the advice! I am quite impatient and I guess I was expecting quicker results. I will keep at it and hope for the best.