Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of an AP? Look here first!!!

tests unsafe roller coasts in china blyday's Avatar

Thinking of an AP? Look here first!!!

Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about APs and the answers. Please read scan through this and see if you can find the answer to your question. If you are not able to find the answer, please feel free to post your question in the forum. Please do NOT post your question in this thread.

If you notice an error or have a suggestion for a question to be added, please post it on this thread. Thank you!!!

Annual Passes (APs)

Q: What types of APs does Disney have?
    A: There are 3 types of APs for non-Florida Residents: Regular, Premium, and Premier. The Regular Pass is for the 4 major parks only. You can hop between the parks with an AP. The Premium AP is good for the 4 major parks, the water parks and Disney Quest. The Premier AP is good for the 4 major parks, the water parks, Disney Quest and the 2 parks of Disneyland Resort.

Q: Do I get any "perks" with an AP?
    A: Yes indeed you do!!! They included discounts at some stores, the option to purchase the Tables in Wonderland card (good for discounts on Table Service meals and includes adult beverages), Free parking at all of the parks, and occasionally Disney will release AP only rates on the different Disney Resort hotel rooms.

Q: If I have an AP, can I get the dining plan without purchasing a ticket?
    A: Yes, as long as you booked your room as an AP room only booking. (Very important, whether your room is discounted or you are paying rack rate, the reservation must specifically be made as an "AP Room Only" booking or you will be required to buy tickets to add on the dining plan.)

Q: Will I be able to get free dining without purchasing a ticket?
    A: No, package deals require you to purchase a certain length ticket. You can save an unused ticket for a later date but you will still have to purchase the ticket to get the discount.

Q: We are going to go to Disney World twice over the next year, is an annual pass the best choice for us?
    A: This is another one of those cases where you need to crunch the numbers and see. First ask yourself the following questions: How many days will you be going for each trip? Is the AP cheaper then purchasing the tickets for that number of days? Will we be staying off-site for one or more of our trips where the free parking will save us some money? Will getting the Tables in Wonderland card be good for us? Make sure that as you are comparing prices that you look at the whole picture. If you do not normal hop, don't compare the hopper ticket's price to the AP, even though you can hop with the AP. Make sure that you compare what you really are planning to use with the AP that you need. Then you will get a complete picture as to whether it is going to save you money or not. One other element to consider is if you normal stay on site with package deals that will require you to purchase a ticket anyway. That could be the deal breaker right there. Bottom line, before purchasing an AP, make sure that you crunch those numbers!!!

Q: Should I get the Regular AP or the Premium AP?
    A: Will you be going to the Water Parks and/or using Disney Quest enough to make it worth the upgrade? Again, crunch the numbers. If you tend to go to the Water Parks twice a trip and Disney Quest at least once, then the Premium might be the way to go.

Q: I want to get an AP but we currently have a package with Free Dining. Will I lose my free dining if I upgrade to an AP??
    A: No, not as long as you upgrade your ticket to an AP after you check into your resort. The package rules are that you must purchase a "x" number day ticket. You have fulfilled the obligation. What you do with that ticket after you check in is totally up to you!!!

Q: How do you upgrade to an AP?
    A: You can take your tickets to any Guest relations window to upgrade your ticket. If you purchased your ticket from a third party reseller, make sure that you use the ticket at least once first. Then just pay the difference between the value of your current ticket at the time you purchased it and the AP. Your expiration date will be based upon the first time that you used your ticket.....not the day that you get your AP.

Q: Can I use 2 unused tickets to upgrade to one AP?
    A: Depends. The policy is that you can only use one ticket to upgrade however, Cast Members will occasional allow you to get away with combining two tickets. Again....this is not policy so don't expect it to happen but it won't hurt to ask either.

Q: My AP expires on November 14th. Does that mean that the 13th is the last day I can use it or the 14th?
    A: The 14th. APs are good for 366 days which means that they are good on the date of expiration but not the day after.

Q: I am upgrading my MYW tickets to an AP. Our trip starts on Aug 20th but we aren't planning on getting the APs until the 27th. When will my AP expiration date be?
    A:
    Your AP will be backdated to the date that you first used the tickets you are upgrading to. So, in this case, your expiration date will be Aug 20th of the following year.

Q:
    We are getting APs but my child will be turning 10 this year. Do I need to get him an adult AP?
    A: Disney policy is "the age the child is at the time of first use". So, if your child is 9 at the time you first use the AP, then you will pay for the child AP and it will be good for the entire 366 days, even after your child has turned 10.

Q: When we get our passes, my youngest will be 2 but she is turning three this year, do I need to get her a pass?
    A: Until she turns 3, she is free, however, once she turns 3, you will need to purchase a pass or ticket for her to enter the park.

Q: We are thinking of going to Disneyland in April and WDW in November. Should we get the Premier AP?
    A: No. The Premier AP only makes sense if you go to one of the 2 parks at least twice and at least one visit to the other park. You will save more money by going to WDW twice in the year then DLR but in either case, you need at least 3 Disney parks in a one year time to make it worth it.

Q: What is this Premier AP?
    A: The Premier AP is the newest AP. It was released in 2010. This is the only AP that gives you admission to both WDW and DLR. Unlike the other APs, there is no discount available on this AP, not even for DVC members. It can only be purchased at either of the 2 Disney resorts.

Q: What if I have an AP already and want to upgrade it to a Premier?
    A: You can do this, no problem. It must be done at Guest services at any of the parks or Downtown Disney. You will be charged the difference from the original AP and Premier AP. Your expiration date will remain the same as the original AP.

Water Parks, Disney Quest and more

Q: Can I just get an AP for the Water parks?
    A: Yes.

Florida Resident Annual Passes
    Q: I live in Florida. What APs are available to me?
    A: Florida residence can get the Regular AP and the Premium AP at a discounted rate. In addition to that, there are 4 other AP options for Florida residents: Weekday Select Pass (good for admission for the 4 major parks Mon-Fri Only/Block out dates apply/Does NOT include free parking), Seasonal Pass (good for the 4 major theme parks/block out dates apply/does NOT include free parking), "After 4" Epcot AP (good only at Epcot after 4 PM), and "After 2" Water Park AP (good for the 2 Water Parks after 2 PM only.)
    Last edited by blyday; 03-11-2014 at 05:23 PM.

because bodie3002 was taken bodie3003's Avatar
    Great information, Brenda--you answered all of the questions I had!
    Kim--mom to 3 girls, grandmom to 3 girls

Quote Originally Posted by bodie3003 View Post
    Great information, Brenda--you answered all of the questions I had!
    Thanks Kim!!!! I'm sure there are many more that I'm missing. But hopefully it is at least a decent start.
    Brenda

Craig's Photography Understudy
    Great, concise info! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by blyday View Post

Q: What if I have an AP already and want to upgrade it to a Premier?
    A: You can do this, no problem. It must be done at Guest services at any of the parks. You will be charged the difference from the original AP and the $700 (+tax). Your expiration date will remain the same as the original AP.
    Can you do this at Guest Services at DTD as well? We'll have to do this in September.
    (Just) Karen

Quote Originally Posted by DizDragonfly View Post
    Can you do this at Guest Services at DTD as well? We'll have to do this in September.
    Yes......thanks for pointing that out. I'll add that to the answer!!!
    Brenda

Yes......thanks for pointing that out. I'll add that to the answer!!!
    Oh good! Because that was my plan. I need to upgrade our DL APs to Premiere and get a TIW card. I've heard the best place to do the more "complicated" stuff is at DTD. And since we're staying at OKW, it'll probably be the most convenient. I guess I'll find out!
    (Just) Karen

Quote Originally Posted by DizDragonfly View Post
    Oh good! Because that was my plan. I need to upgrade our DL APs to Premiere and get a TIW card. I've heard the best place to do the more "complicated" stuff is at DTD. And since we're staying at OKW, it'll probably be the most convenient. I guess I'll find out!
    Yeah.....DH and I might end up doing this when we arrive too rather then waiting until the next morning. We'll see........
    Brenda

Clarification - for non-Florida residents, there are 3 kinds of APs... (FL residents have different choices).

Also - I believe you can purchase the ticketless AP package with dining if you pay rack rate for your room as well, but I'm not 100% on that one.

There is a typo in the first line of the first answer - it says "The Regular Pass is for Park the 4 major parks only."

Disney policy is "the age the child is at the time of first use". So, if your child is 9 at the time you get the AP, change the end of this sentence to say "at the time you first use the AP"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    It's an amusement park, for goodness sake, how much planning could you need?

Thanks again Vicki!!!! I should hire you as my official fact checker!!!! I've added a small section about the Florida Passes and have made the above changes!! Thanks again!!!
    Brenda

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    Q: We are getting APs but my child will be turning 10 this year. Do I need to get him an adult AP?
    A: Disney policy is "the age the child is at the time of first use". So, if your child is 9 at the time you first use the AP, then you will pay for the child AP and it will be good for the entire 366 days, even after you child has turned 10.
    So what if dad and mom have adult FL seasonal passes, son has child seasonal pass and daughter (2) has no pass but turns 3 during the timeframe of the others' passes? Do we need to get her a pass mid-year?
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) Disney Institute (Jun 97) CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) FW/VWL (Nov 10) Poly (Mar 11, May 11) BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) SSR (Oct 11) YC (Oct 12) Swan (Oct 13) WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) Pop (Oct 14) POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) CBR (Dec 15) ASMo (Dec 16)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmilz View Post
    So what if dad and mom have adult FL seasonal passes, son has child seasonal pass and daughter (2) has no pass but turns 3 during the time frame of the others' passes? Do we need to get her a pass mid-year?
    Yes.....when she turns 3, she will need to have a pass to enter the park. I'll add that note to the list above.
    Brenda

I would like advice on AP's. I have an Premium AP for Disneyland. I go about once sometimes twice a month. We have a 9 day trip planned to WDW in December. I would need an 8-9 day park hopper while at WDW. so I am planning on upgrading to the Premier AP when it gets closer to our departure date. Am I correct in my thinking that this is a better/cost effective way to do our tickets for WDW?

Yes. The premium is $499 plus tax and the premier is $700 so once you get above a 2 day ticket (so more then the $201 difference) you are saving money by upgrading to the Premier. Just make sure that you realize that the expiration date for the premier will be the current expiration date for your DLR Premium AP. Oh and added bonus to the Premier....it includes the Water Parks and DQ......just in case you want to give one of the a try!!
    Brenda

Good good info!
    How would I go about finding AP room discounts if I do not currently have an AP? I would consider getting one if it would help me with a room discount:)
    So far haven't seen much for Wilderness Lodge (September). Going with Free Dining at the moment.
    Shari

Unfortunately, if you don't have a current AP, you can't look up AP pricing online. You basically have 2 options, contact a TA and have her/him look up the prices for you or call Disney.
    Brenda

Unfortunately, if you don't have a current AP, you can't look up AP pricing online. You basically have 2 options, contact a TA and have her/him look up the prices for you or call Disney.
    Ah, gotcha- thank you for the fast reply!
    Shari

Quote Originally Posted by tink1963 View Post
    I would like advice on AP's. I have an Premium AP for Disneyland. I go about once sometimes twice a month. We have a 9 day trip planned to WDW in December. I would need an 8-9 day park hopper while at WDW. so I am planning on upgrading to the Premier AP when it gets closer to our departure date. Am I correct in my thinking that this is a better/cost effective way to do our tickets for WDW?
    Tink, We are doing the same thing! Thanks for the great question!

My question is about getting the PP activated. Once you purchase it (them), do you activate it at your home park (DL) and it is all set for the other parks (WDW)? OR Do you need to activate it at both parks the first time it is used?

Premiers can only be purchased in person at a park....so they are activated at the window where you are purchasing them. We had the Premier last year and it was so easy to use......we didn't have any problems getting into any of the parks. There was a time when they first started them that the ones purchased at DLR were not working at WDW and people had to go to the window to have them print out a new one but I believe they have worked out the bugs now so that this doesn't happen.
    Brenda

And you can't use the Premium AP in Disneyland Paris. I know that seems a ridiculous consideration to US residents but a surprising number of UK visitors have APs. Just because they might come for a month or do two trips in a year if they have bought a villa.

Premiers can only be purchased in person at a park....so they are activated at the window where you are purchasing them. We had the Premier last year and it was so easy to use......we didn't have any problems getting into any of the parks. There was a time when they first started them that the ones purchased at DLR were not working at WDW and people had to go to the window to have them print out a new one but I believe they have worked out the bugs now so that this doesn't happen.
    Thank you.

This may have already been asked and answered somewhere, but I couldn't find the answer. I know that you can use package tickets and upgrade them to an AP, but can you also use them to renew an AP? Our APs are up for renewal in early December and we're looking at taking a trip in December to take advantage of free dining. Could we use the tickets from that package to renew our existing APs?
    Alison

early 80s: off site ~ 1994: off site ~ Jan 2011: off site ~ Feb 2011: POR ~ Dec 2011: POR ~ Feb 2012: off site ~ Aug 2012: POR
    Sep 2012: Honeymoon at BC and AKL ~
    Dec 2012: Swan ~ Xmas 2012: BC CL ~ April 2013: Dolphin ~ Aug 2013: Poly
    Aug/Sept 2013: BC anniversary trip ~ Sept 2014: Dolphin/Universal anniversary trip ~ Jan 2015: BWI w/just the princesses
    June 2015: Contemporary ~ Sept 2015: POP ~ Aug 2015: BWV anniversary trip ~ Oct 2016: Dolphin ~ Nov 2016: BWI - Dapper Day

Yes, you can upgrade tickets for an AP renewal. Just make sure that the renewal is done within 30 days of expiration.
    Brenda

Thanks so much, Brenda!
    Alison

early 80s: off site ~ 1994: off site ~ Jan 2011: off site ~ Feb 2011: POR ~ Dec 2011: POR ~ Feb 2012: off site ~ Aug 2012: POR
    Sep 2012: Honeymoon at BC and AKL ~
    Dec 2012: Swan ~ Xmas 2012: BC CL ~ April 2013: Dolphin ~ Aug 2013: Poly
    Aug/Sept 2013: BC anniversary trip ~ Sept 2014: Dolphin/Universal anniversary trip ~ Jan 2015: BWI w/just the princesses
    June 2015: Contemporary ~ Sept 2015: POP ~ Aug 2015: BWV anniversary trip ~ Oct 2016: Dolphin ~ Nov 2016: BWI - Dapper Day