Thread: Ticket prioritization and Non-expiring tickets

Ticket prioritization and Non-expiring tickets

This is an FYI, don't do what I did kind of post (and a little rant).

We had both 5 day MYW hoppers and old NE tickets linked to my husband's and kids' accounts. We checked at the ticket booth and she said "you are good to go" and that they were prioritized correctly to use the 5 day MYW hoppers. I didn't have a lot of faith in what she said because the NE were added first and I really thought they probably needed to change the prioritization. But what do I know, maybe the most recently added tickets are used first (they aren't)? And we were in a hurry, and guest services had a long line, and I figured if there was a problem Disney would fix it. I also had them tap with the 5 day hopper ticket card instead of their magic bands hoping this would be another indication those were the tickets we intended to use (it wasn't of course).

We went through and after "double checked" with the person at the gates with the ipad and of course they used a day off the NE tickets. We were told to go to guest services any time that day and "it is an easy fix" (haha).

At the end of the night I went to guest services and my husband took the kids back to the hotel because it was of course a 30 minute line all day long (Epcot, weekend, food and wine festival).

They cannot easily replace the used NE days because that ticket type is no longer being issued. It is "an easy fix" if it is a currently available ticket, they just re-issue a new ticket. But no one is allowed to issue an NE ticket because they are no longer offered. He gave us a confirmation number to redeem at a future date for one day comp hopper tickets for each person. They can't be placed on our account now because comp tickets expire the same day they are issued. He couldn't give us a MYW 1 day hopper because they now all expire within 1-2 years even if you get the more expensive ones not tied to a specific date. "What about fastpasses?" I asked. "No problem they will give you any fastpass you need at guest services the day you activate the tickets, this happens all the time" (smiles and chuckles). I must have looked skeptical because he assured me he would put a "note" in the file about giving us fastpasses. And since I was visibly frustrated he did not take a day off of our 5 day hoppers which were supposed to have been used that day. Normally that would have made zero difference to us because the extra day would expire after 14 days before we returned. But it turned out to be a little help in that we were going to wait until 4 pm to go to MK on our Christmas party day to save a day off a regular ticket. We had a 4 pm ADR and this gave us some flexibility to enter the park at 3 pm instead of 4 pm and we weren't in the mass of people at the party entrance hoping to be let in at 3:45 and then rushing to our ADR.

It was as reasonable a resolution as was possible in the circumstances. But I'm growing weary of having to work hard to avoid snags with our vacations at Disney. No matter how much I try to contingency plan there is always SOMETHING that doesn't go as planned. I had to spend 30 minutes in line at guest services on this trip and we get to pick a date on a future trip to wait at guest services before park opening to be issued tickets and fastpasses for the day based on a promise and a little slip of paper with a confirmation number. And my kids' NE tickets can no longer be transferred to someone else because they are now considered partially used (my husband's NE ticket was already partially used prior to this trip but the kids had previously unused tickets).

What would I do differently? In hindsight I wish I would have at least moved my kids' NE tickets to a dummy profile. Then there would have been no risk of the tickets being mistakenly used. I couldn't have done that for my husband's ticket because it is already partially used. And I wish I had double checked the prioritization with the person with the ipad at the gates BEFORE going through the tapstyles (apparently you can ask to check in advance and they will call the ipad person over). And maybe most of you already know this but those ticket cards, once linked to a profile on MDE, become just like a magic band and can access ANY ticket on the profile/account. So that is not insurance that you are only using the ticket that was originally on the card. The only way for that ticket card to only represent the original ticket would be to not link it to MDE at all. But then of course you wouldn't be able to book FP in advance.

I hope this post will save someone else from doing what we did.

Anne I am so sorry! I have two Platinum AP certificates that for some reason I linked on my MDE. They are under dummy names. (Just an initial and our last name). I ended up being on the phone for a total of about 2 hours with Disney IT before our October trip because my daughter’s profile completely disappeared. In the course of them finally finding her (and her AP and fastpasses) they mentioned just putting the dummy AP’s under one of our profiles; I am glad I said no. I agree it is a little old dealing with. While we were there in October I renewed our Platinum AP’s to the DVC Gold. Nothing showing right now that the upgrade is even in effect. It says renew now on the profile. I think I will be calling again when the FP’s booking for January opens up in a week...

Are you done with Disney for a bit now? Just focusing on your cruise?
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by kmc8826 View Post
    Anne I am so sorry! I have two Platinum AP certificates that for some reason I linked on my MDE. They are under dummy names. (Just an initial and our last name). I ended up being on the phone for a total of about 2 hours with Disney IT before our October trip because my daughter’s profile completely disappeared. In the course of them finally finding her (and her AP and fastpasses) they mentioned just putting the dummy AP’s under one of our profiles; I am glad I said no. I agree it is a little old dealing with. While we were there in October I renewed our Platinum AP’s to the DVC Gold. Nothing showing right now that the upgrade is even in effect. It says renew now on the profile. I think I will be calling again when the FP’s booking for January opens up in a week...

Are you done with Disney for a bit now? Just focusing on your cruise?
    Good for you for keeping your AP vouchers on the dummy! Disney IT is just not reliable and I'm kicking myself for trusting it would work itself out. Overall we had a great trip and this was probably our worst IT issue so I guess I should be thankful it wasn't worse? FP was working well. I had no trouble pulling up the app and looking for 4th and beyond etc. (although it seems like there is less availability for 4th FP with each successive trip). FP was a major challenge when I was last there in May so thankful that wasn't as bad this time. Although it sounds like FP booking is still glitchy a lot of the time for a lot of people.

I have my no-kids January marathon trip still to come but otherwise we don't have our next WDW family trip planned. It feels so odd to be back home and not really know when we will go next. I feel so much ambivalence about WDW. It can be so great at times, and at other times it's frustrating to work so hard and pay so much $ to have a good vacation.

But yes, very much looking forward to the cruise! Although I feel like I have no idea what I am doing as far as cruise planning. I haven't traveled abroad in the last 10 years and the last trip was pre-kids. A little hesitant about the logistics of getting to the cruise and any sightseeing after. We wanted to add on a 3 day land portion after the cruise but Adventures by Disney is just too expensive to justify. And the 3 day after-cruise itinerary in Rome (understandably) isn't great for younger kids. If they were 12 or older we would probably just do it even with the crazy cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    And maybe most of you already know this but those ticket cards, once linked to a profile on MDE, become just like a magic band and can access ANY ticket on the profile/account.
    I've had people argue against me while explaining this in the past (and the flip side, that deactivating a card doesn't deprioritize the ticket), but unfortunately you became a data point that it's true. I'm sorry the prioritization didn't take - we've been lucky with it working so far. Our NE tickets are such a hassle, but we still have something like 5 waterpark days on them as well as a couple of main park days so we just reprioritize every time.