Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building the Excitement

fizboBunny

Building the Excitement

I'm going on a 3 family trip. Most of one family has never been. Most of another family has not been in a very long time. I am going to send out emails to help build up the excitement. I sent my first out at 100 days with a picture of Cinderella's Castle. I think for the others I'm going to do them weekly starting at Week 12. Some weeks I will send out info about our trip, like specifics about restaurants we are booked at, things about the resort we are staying at, stuff about the halloween party. At 10 weeks I'd like to send out 10 classic rides, for example. I'm trying to come up with lists and not duplicate rides. Here's the lists I'm working on. Whatever number I end up with I'll send out on that week. Please help me complete the lists. Thanks. Also, suggest any lists I should add.

Coasters and Thrill Rides

Hollywood Tower Of Terror
    Rock 'n' Rollercoaster starring Aerosmith
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    Space Mountain
    Splash Mountain
    Expedition Everest

Classic Rides

Dumbo
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Peter Pan's Flight
    Jungle Cruise

Headliners (<<<----- Would Love another name for this list)
    Soaring
    Toy Story Midway Mania

It's A Small World is as classic as it gets and Carousel of Progress was from the fair. Do a Classic character week. Princess/Prince character week. Disney shows such as Beauty & The Beast and Indiana Jones etc week. Disney fireworks and parades week. World showcase countries week.
    Have A Great Day!

Vinnie

Previous trips: 91 GF- 92 CB,DL, POL- 93 CT,DL,CB- 94 WL,CB,BC- 95ASSP,WL,POL,CB- 96 DL,YC,ASM,BV- 97 POL,CS, WL,DL,POF-98 WL,CB,ASM,DCL- 99 CS,BI,ASMV,POF- 00 GF,DCL,ASM,CS- 01 POL,CB,,AKL,ASMV, WLV- 02 YC,ASMV,BCV,AKL- 03 WL,CB,GF, POP- 04 CS,BC, POP,CT,SS- 05,POR,WL,CB- 06 POL,POP,AKV, ASMV- 07 GF,WL,CB,DCL- 08 ASM,YC- 09 CS,WL- 10 CT,AKL- 11 WL- 12 AOA - 13 Pop, BC - 14 WL,CS - 15 Poly, CB, BC

fizboBunny
    Thanks! Those are some good ideas. Carousel of Progress is one of my faves, but I don't want to add it if it won't be open when we are there. Isn't it open only seasonally now?

Everyone going is the type that likes doing countdowns and stuff like this before trips. My FIL says that going on a trip with me and my SIL (we are the planners) is more fun because of the planning and countdowns we do.

Here's what I have so far. Keep in mind that I'm going to include pictures with the emails.

12 Weeks Out
    Four Parks, One World
    (Send this with Icon for each Park)
    Magic Kingdom (Cinderella's Castle)
    EPCOT (Spaceship Earth)
    Hollywood Studios (Sorcerer's Hat)
    Animal Kingdom (Tree of Life)

11 Weeks Out
    11 Countries of Epcot
    Mexico
    Norway
    China
    Germany
    Italy
    United States of America
    Japan
    Morocco
    France
    United Kingdom
    Canada

9 Weeks Out
    Cast of Characters (there are 9 of us going)
    List of people going on our trip. I was thinking I can do something like below. I will send it out with blanks..

Cole
    Second Visit to WDW
    Favorite Ride: Pirates of the Caribbean
    Looking most forward to: swimming in the pool with the dragon (POFQ)
    Character he most wants to meet: Mickey

8 Weeks Out

Classic Rides of Magic Kingdom

Dumbo the Flying Elephant
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Peter Pan's Flight
    Jungle Cruise
    Haunted Mansion
    Mad Tea Party
    Swiss Family Tree House
    It's a Small World

7 Weeks Out
    Coasters and Thrill Rides

Hollywood Tower Of Terror
    Rock 'n' Rollercoaster starring Aerosmith
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    Space Mountain
    Splash Mountain
    Expedition Everest
    Mission: Space

6 Weeks Out
    The Lands of Magic Kingdom
    Main Street USA (Home of Town Square Theater where you meet Mickey)
    Adventureland (Home of Pirates of the Caribbean)
    Frontierland (Home of Big Thunder Mtn RR and Splash Mtn.)
    Liberty Square (Home of Haunted Mansion)
    Fantasyland (Home of Peter Pan's Flight)
    Tomorrowland (Home of Space Mtn.)

5 Weeks Out
    Disney Transportation
    Magic Kingdom Railroad
    Monorail
    Bus
    Ferry
    Friendship Boat

4 Weeks Out
    Dining Reservations
    'Ohana Character BreakfastLocated inside the Polynesian Resort, what better way to start off a Disney vacation than by having breakfast with Mickey. Also joining us for breakfast will be Lilo, Stitch, and Pluto for autographs and pictures.
    Our Island Feast is served "Family-Style" which means we bring it to you, so sit back and relax. E oli oli!

Liberty Tree Tavern

SciFi Drive In
    Via Napoli

Headliners (<<<----- Would Love another name for this list)
    Soaring
    Toy Story Midway Mania
    Star Tours

This is a fun thread! Sorry you're not getting more comments!

May I suggest a "Best of easyWDW" week

waiting for a street car
    Re Carousel of Progress open only seasonally I found this on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carousel_of_Progress
    Though it is still listed as a seasonal attraction, it has remained open nearly every day of the year and during the Magic Kingdom's regular park hours since 2003.

Yeah, Carousel is open every day.

double fisting mickey ice cream bars and germany pretzels
    You are going to a lot of work but how creative. I may steal some. You could do "treats" as a week....dole whip, Mickey ice cream, pretzels, main street ice cream cookie would be my top four however not I that order!

Claire
    2012 WL with DH, DS, DS, DM, DF, DSis, DBinlaw, DCousin
    2012 POLY CL and BWV with DH, DS, DS, FIL, MIL
    2010 BLT with DH, DS, FIL, MIL
    2009 Dolphin with DH
    2007 Offsite - Sister's Bachelorette Party

I'm not a theme park aficianado, but I think your "headliners" category might also work as "only at Walt Disney world"?

Very fun idea!

I think you could easily come up with 10 WDW treats! Maybe two nighttime spectaculars? (Fantasmic and illuminations)

And for 1 - wishes fireworks - maybe with Josh's video from the 4th. (They'll never know the difference, right? )

fizboBunny
    I came up with another

2 Weeks Out
    Special Events

Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party
    Food and Wine (and Beer) Festival

I love this idea. My DH is in Iraq and will be home 14 days before our trip. He's exctied to go, but I wish he knew more about WDW (like I do). I mean when I say "FotLK at AK" he has no idea what I'm talking about!!!
    I think I may send him something like this on a weekly, if not daily basis to get him more familiar with the "terminology"
    -Ashley

fizboBunny
    My husband is home and still gets confused with the terminology so I can see how being far away would make it worse.

For 10 Weeks Out I'm going to do 10 Characters We Will Meet, but I'm nervous about doing this. I don't want to list someone unless we are going to actually meet them. So far I have 5 we will definitely see. All the kids going are boys. Can anyone suggest 5 more that we will definitely get to see. I'm not sure about Phineus and Ferb because our priority for Hollywood Studios is Jedi Training and TSMM.

10 Characters We Will Meet:
    Mickey
    Minnie
    Pluto
    Lilo
    Stitch

Quote Originally Posted by fizboBunny View Post
    For 10 Weeks Out I'm going to do 10 Characters We Will Meet, but I'm nervous about doing this. I don't want to list someone unless we are going to actually meet them. So far I have 5 we will definitely see. All the kids going are boys. Can anyone suggest 5 more that we will definitely get to see. I'm not sure about Phineus and Ferb because our priority for Hollywood Studios is Jedi Training and TSMM.

10 Characters We Will Meet:
    Mickey
    Minnie
    Pluto
    Lilo
    Stitch
    Since you'll be in HS, can you add Mater and Lightning McQueen? Even though they're inanimate objects, the boys might still want pics with them? (Unless you're specifincally doing characters they'll get autographs from) or what about Woddy and Buzz?
    Or maybe just 10 Characters we WANT to meet?

fizboBunny
    I do like the idea of we "want" to meet. How about 10 Characters We Hope To Meet.

I just need one more pair or single.... Here's my updated list.

Mickey and Minnie
    Lilo and Stitch
    Pluto
    Lightning McQueen and Mater
    Phineus and Ferb
    Captain Jack Sparrow (we are going to MNSSHP dressed as pirates so I think this is a must do for us)
    Buzz Lightyear
    Woody
    Sully and Mike Wazowski

How about Pluto and Goofy together? Donald and Daisy? You could pair Buzz and Woody together as well... Not sure how old the boys are but Pooh and Tigger can usually be found together...

fizboBunny
    We will be meeting Pluto at a character breakfast ('Ohana), so I didn't want to pair him up.

Do Buzz and Woody meet together?

Is Goofy easy to meet?

I believe Buzz and Woody meet together in HS, but separately in MK.
    I also believe Goofy should be easy to meet (esp in AK if I recall) but check out Kenny the Pirate for exact locations and pairings:

http://kennythepirate.com/

Yes, Buzz and Woody (usually, sometimes one of them is missing for brief periods of time) meet together across from TSM in DHS. Buzz meets near Cop/his ride in Tomorrowland in MK. Woody meets (with Jessie most of the time) in the MK in Frontierland, down near the Splash Mountain exit.

I believe Goofy is no longer meeting in Camp Minnie Mickey at AK and now only meets in Dinoland at that park, and that line tends to be a bit longer than his CMM line usually was. However, Pluto is usually there with him in Dinoland. I think he does a set or two at the hat in DHS. I'd check Kenny the Pirate's site as Becky suggests and get the exact set times and show up in advance of those set start times. You could also go to the Character Spot at Epcot at/near rope drop on an Epcot day and you'll get the whole Fab 5 in one go, including Goofy. (Send a runner for Soarin' FPs while you do this if there's someone who doesn't mind missing the meet and greets.)

However, my personal favorite place to meet Goofy is by Pirates of the Caribbean, where you can meet Pirate Goofy. We've had some really good times there, and given the interest in meeting Captain Jack, this one might be a hit with your group too.

If you want to see Captain Jack at MNSSHP, I would do that first thing at the beginning of the party. His line will be one of the long ones pretty much all party long, and it will probably start forming up prior to 7:00. However, if you get there early enough, you will use up as little "party time" waiting there as possible and your wait will probably be a lot shorter overall. I think we want to do this m&g first this year as well.

Characters not on your list:

Dug and Russel from Up also meet near It's Tough to be a Bug, and I would go there just before one of their sets (again, listed on Kenny's site) is due to begin because I've seen that line get pretty long.

Tigger/Pooh/Eeyore are usually pretty easy to meet at AK, down on the Discovery Island landing. You can't see the meet and greet from the path so the line doesn't draw as many people as other, more visible meet and greets do.

Chip and Dale are available in several different places across the park. They are usually very interactive and fun and even kids who have never seen a cartoon of theirs seem to enjoy meeting those two. As always, Kenny's site is the go-to to find out when and where they'll be, but usually their line in Tomorrowland starts short and gets long, as does their line outside of Innoventions West (on the side of the building that faces The Land pavilion).

----

Also, you could do a list of street performers you're going to try to catch. Many of the performing groups are great fun to watch. I particularly like the JAMMitors (Future World East), the Ziti Sisters (Italy/Epcot) and The World Showcase Players (UK/Epcot), but there are many others that are fun to watch as well, especially in the World Showcase. Get the schedules off of the Times Guides for the parks (Josh posts them here, and you can also get them at Steve Soares' site) and see if you think you can work some entertainers in.
    If you read my Disney blog when you're bored and you're done reading what's new at EasyWDW, I wouldn't cry.

fizboBunny
    I completely forgot about Goofy as a pirate! We are definitely going to try and see him.

I like the idea of character spot, but I don't like the back drops. yuck.

I'm hoping to hit a characterpalooza, but since the characters are random I can't include them in my email. (This reminds me to add characterpalooza times to my things to print for Disney list)

fizboBunny
    I sent out the 12 Weeks Out email today.

12 Weeks from today we will be checking into Port Orleans French Quarter at Walt Disney World. I can't wait to share this amazing family vacation with all of you. To help build the excitement I thought I'd share some information about WDW. For starters WDW is made up of four major theme parks, all of which we will be visiting.

Magic Kingdom - This is the original park at WDW. It is the most iconic and home of Cinderella's Castle. This park is also the location of some of the most well known rides, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and Splash Mountain.

Epcot - This park is like two parks in one. Futureworld is home to Spaceship Earth, the big golf ball like building. Spaceship Earth is the icon for this park. World Showcase is like a year round worlds fair. You can see buildings, eat food, and shop at the 11 different countries featured here, and ride some neat rides too.

Hollywood Studios - The icon for this park is the Sorceror's Hat. This park is home to some of the most thrilling rides in WDW. Rock and Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror.

Animal Kingdom - The icon for this park is the Tree of Life. This tree is amazing. It is an artificial tree. When you get up close you notice that the bark is made of carvings of different animals from around the world. This is a theme park and zoo all rolled into one. Explore the different continents of Africa and Asia as you ride thrilling rides. This park is home to Expedition Everest.

double fisting mickey ice cream bars and germany pretzels
    :). Love the thought behind this!

Claire
    2012 WL with DH, DS, DS, DM, DF, DSis, DBinlaw, DCousin
    2012 POLY CL and BWV with DH, DS, DS, FIL, MIL
    2010 BLT with DH, DS, FIL, MIL
    2009 Dolphin with DH
    2007 Offsite - Sister's Bachelorette Party

What about some of the toys from the World? The build your own light saber since you will be doing Jedi Training? Mr. Potato Head? Legoland? Not sure what else for this one, but I know both of my boys are excited to make their own light saber and buy a box of pieces for our Mr. Potato Head! I also liked the shows idea from a previous post. Great idea! I might have to steal this too!

Quote Originally Posted by fizboBunny View Post
    I sent out the 12 Weeks Out email today.
    great job!!
    -Ashley

This is awesome - great job!

fizboBunny
    Here's this weeks email (in the email I as able to make the pictures all the same size):

We will get to visit 11 countries, all without leaving Florida. EPCOT is divided into two sections, Future World and the World Showcase. The world showcase is divided into 11 areas, each representing a different country. Each pavilion offers food, adult beverages (beer, wine, mixed drinks), and shopping that is unique to the country they are representing. The plan for this trip is to mostly eat as we make our way around the world. Since we will be visiting WDW during the Food and Wine (& Beer) Fest there will also be many small booths added selling sample size portions of food from that country. While the adults are enjoying world showcase (and adult beverages), the kids will be playing Agent P's World Showcase Adventure game.

1. Mexico
    The main building of this pavilion is a pyramid. Inside the pyramid is what feels and looks like an outdoor market at twilight in Mexico. There is a tequila bar, restaurant, and many kiosks. Inside the pyramid you take a relaxing boat ride and see everything Mexico has to offer.

2. Norway
    Norway is best known for vikings and trolls. Maelstrom is a leisurely boat ride through the icy waters of Norway until you run into some trolls!

3. China
    Here you can see performances by acrobats while you dine on eggrolls.

4. Germany
    This pavilion is home to Karamel Kuche. A shop that makes authentic german caramel.

5. Italy
    On the Friday of our trip we will be dining in the Italy Pavilion at Via Napoli.

6. The American Adventure

7. Japan

8. Morocco
    In this pavilion you may just run into Aladdin and Princess Jasmine.
    King Hassan II actually sent Moroccan artisans to design and create the many mosaics.

9. France
    Here you can enjoy a Grey Goose Slushie. YUM!

10. United Kingdom
    Have a cup of tea or enjoy some fish and chips.

11. Canada

I think your emails are fabulous! What a fantastic way to build the excitement for your trip!