Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TGM vs easyWDW

TGM vs easyWDW

Hi Im just wondering if there are any intentions to make this a paid for subscription site like TGM or will this site remain free? Do the crowd predictions that Josh makes on this site differ much from the TGM predictions. I understand that TGM has very outdated touring plans, so it is nice that this site offers updated plans, I can also see that the mods and users on this site offer very good advice where as TGM seems to rely on the good will of the users providing the info. I have looked through the site and cant seems to find anything about Josh, where does his knowledge come from? Is it first hand experience or does it come from using logic and psychology to predict likely park crowds. Where ever it comes from I really appreciate the advice that makes a WDW vacation memorable and makes touring much much easier. Thanks

Peanut butter is yummy.
    I'll let Josh answer your question about the site and his intentions

But I will address this-

I understand that TGM has very outdated touring plans, so it is nice that this site offers updated plans, I can also see that the mods and users on this site offer very good advice where as TGM seems to rely on the good will of the users providing the info.
    True that TGM is very outdated- the value is only in the forums now. Most if not all of the mods here are TGM members/defectors.

How many of my secrets do you want?

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i love josh. Janine's Avatar
    Janine

Would Get Along Well With Matt Hochberg USAgooner's Avatar
    All I know is Josh's site lacks decimals.

Most of the recommendations are "data driven" based on Disney's own crowd predictions, both from the past and looking forward. I don't rely on the past as much as "other sites" do, just because past behavior isn't indicative of future behavior and unless you know the underlying causes of the behavior, knowing that the second Monday in May in 2009 was very busy won't help you predict crowds for the second Monday in May in 2011. If you have the information, it's very easy to look at the crowd patterns and figure out what makes the Parks more crowded and then I can apply that information to the future when conditions are the same. To answer your question as directly as possible, I have a lot of information that most people will never see and that makes it relatively easy to create the crowd calendars - both for recommended Parks and for overall crowds.

As for as reviews and general information is concerned, I don't have any relationship with Disney nor have I ever. 97% of the reviews are from first hand experience and leg work of my many minions. The exceptions being the fact that I've never slept in most of the DVC properties and I haven't eaten in some of the resort restaurants. Mostly because of the cost. You're welcome to invite me though.

As far as a "TGM vs. easyWDW (props for the "correct" use of easy btw and for being the first person to find the "report post" button), I've been told that my "recommended Parks" jive pretty closely with what you would find on TGM. I don't think he rates Parks from "best to worst" like I do and I don't think he points out the "best day of the week" at each Park like I try to. I could be wrong though.

owes it all to duffy
    We want more! I am very intrigued by your background and how and why you do this. I love the site and recommend it to everyone. I can't wait to report back on my trip.
    Jill

12/1998 - Offsite
    4/2003 - CSR (convention)
    2/2010 - CBR
    5/2011 - CSR - trip report, trip report part 2
    10/2011 - Grand Floridian - trip report
    4/2014 - POR - trip report
    12/2015 - Grand Floridian
    1/2016 - Universal Studios - Portofino Bay trip report
    3/2016 - CSR

Oh. That's it. I was expecting other kinds of secrets.
    Janine

I could tell you, but it would probably come with a ban and a lobotomy. The time in between the lobotomy and when I tell you all of the secrets would be pretty amazing I imagine. Not sure if it would be worth it though. Probably.

Forgot to answer your money question - as a "webmaster," my primary concern is extracting as much money from the userbase as possible. Whether that will be through a subscription service, cleverly hidden affiliate links, obnoxious advertising, or a mixture of those three remains to be seen.

I've never used TGM (or any paid service), but I love what Josh is doing here and fully support it. I've suggested it to numerous people.

Since I haven't used the other services, I don't have anything to compare, but I've found Josh's recommendations to be very accurate.

Minions!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    It's an amusement park, for goodness sake, how much planning could you need?

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    and for being the first person to find the "report post" button)
    Someone got reported?! Are they going to be banned?!
    I think a public flogging would be much more fun, as opposed to a secret ballot.

Unless, of course, it's me. In which case, I'll just slip quietly into the night. But I'm bringing Lisa's cheese grater with me.
    Janine

I could tell you, but it would probably come with a ban and a lobotomy. The time in between the lobotomy and when I tell you all of the secrets would be pretty amazing I imagine. Not sure if it would be worth it though. Probably.
    Can I get back to you on this?
    Janine

Yeah - if anything there will just be more secrets in the future.

S/He reported my post

Oh, now that's funny!
    Janine

guess we'll go to disney world today nicole's Avatar
    S/He reported my post
    Nicole
    with family DH, DDs (13, 9, & 7)

completed our 1st trip May 2011 at POR

only person to nominate a josh picture for potd guff's Avatar
    Most of the recommendations are "data driven" based on Disney's own crowd predictions, both from the past and looking forward. I don't rely on the past as much as "other sites" do, just because past behavior isn't indicative of future behavior and unless you know the underlying causes of the behavior, knowing that the second Monday in May in 2009 was very busy won't help you predict crowds for the second Monday in May in 2011. If you have the information, it's very easy to look at the crowd patterns and figure out what makes the Parks more crowded and then I can apply that information to the future when conditions are the same. To answer your question as directly as possible, I have a lot of information that most people will never see and that makes it relatively easy to create the crowd calendars - both for recommended Parks and for overall crowds.

As for as reviews and general information is concerned, I don't have any relationship with Disney nor have I ever. 97% of the reviews are from first hand experience and leg work of my many minions. The exceptions being the fact that I've never slept in most of the DVC properties and I haven't eaten in some of the resort restaurants. Mostly because of the cost. You're welcome to invite me though.

Let me run this one by you...

Is a crowd level of 5 in May the same as a crowd level 5 September or December? I ask this because my idea is keep track of crowd levels and wait times throughout the day (as reported by my wait time app) then compare those wait times with crowd level that corresponds to my trip dates. I'm hoping that will help me plan my vacation a little more accurately. I also realize that it may be a fool's game.

Yes, any two "Crowd Level 5" days should be the same as far as the total number of people at a Disney World theme park. A crowd level 5 day might mean 50,000 people in Magic Kingdom, 35,000 people in Epcot, 25,000 people in Hollywood Studios, and 25,000 people in Animal Kingdom. And if you looked at another "Crowd Level 5 Day" with the same attributes/recommended Parks/hours of operation then the wait times should be pretty close to being the same. The problem with wait times is that they can be radically different depending on a lot of factors, including hours of operation, evening entertainment, etc. So wait times might be longer at Magic Kingdom at 6pm in October when the hours are 9am to 9pm than they are in April when the hours are 8am to 12am, even though the same number of people walk through the turnstiles. I'm not sure if that makes sense or if it sounds like I'm being purposefully confusing.

So as far as how the overall crowd level relates to wait times, if the hours of operation are similar and the other factors are similar (Extra Magic Hours, day of the week, evening entertainment etc) then the wait times should be similar.

You probably haven't put together your itinerary since you've got another few weeks before December's hours are out. When the hours come out and you've got a good idea about where you want to go, I can certainly tell you what to expect as far as wait times are concerned.

only person to nominate a josh picture for potd guff's Avatar
    It makes sense. I know I won't be making a true 'apples to apples' comparison, but as long as I'm not comparing apples to monkeys I'll be OK.

I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the December hours and crowd calendar. I'm hoping that the week I picked Dec 11th - 18th will miss the high point of the holiday season.

Historically, that's a good week. Probably not quite as good as the previous week, but far, far less crowded than the following two weeks.

Yeah, that should be just fine, especially earlier in the week. You should also miss the hassle of the Christmas Parade taping the week before and the Magic Kingdom Christmas Tree should be up. The other holiday stuff is a big bonus too, obviously. The only real hassle will be getting to Main Street Electrical Parade if you want to see it.

S/He reported my post
    (Just) Karen

berwick ( mailto: ) has reported this post:

http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...=9980#post9980

This is part of this thread:
    TGM vs easyWDW
    http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showthread.php?620

This is the reason that the user gave:
    far too secret!

This message has been sent to all moderators of this forum, or all administrators if there are no moderators.

Please respond to this post as applicable.

berwick ( mailto: ) has reported this post:

http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...=9980#post9980

This is part of this thread:
    TGM vs easyWDW
    http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showthread.php?620

This is the reason that the user gave:
    far too secret!

This message has been sent to all moderators of this forum, or all administrators if there are no moderators.

Please respond to this post as applicable.
    Awesome!

What ever happened to the thread where we were recreating your life story? That was epic!
    (Just) Karen