Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DLR October 21-26, 2012 - Former Californian finally staying on site!

carries her own pineapple juice RebeccaMcK's Avatar

DLR October 21-26, 2012 - Former Californian finally staying on site!

I'm a little bored (and summer hasn't even officially started yet), and so even though I'm starting this report waaaaaaaaaay before I need to...I thought I'd go ahead and start a pre trip report for our upcoming Disneyland trip. We're going over our DD7's fall break from school (not the whole break, but from the Sunday through the Friday so we have a little time before and after to recover before she returns to second grade), so crowd levels will be somewhat low (the locals there do not get fall breaks and mostly go on weekends to DLR. Crowd levels typically go up on Fridays and then back down on Mondays). This summer will be filled with just "stay-cation" stuff....things we can do within a day's trip. Hubby will take our daughter camping now and then (I really don't camp any more - I stay home to mind our dog usually), I'll take her to fun places around town, we'll see fun movies both at home and in the theaters, and we don't plan on going anywhere out of the state until October 21st.

Just a bit of an intro first of who'll be traveling.
    McKennas2011.jpg
    Hubby and I are both 41 (he'll be 42 this month), and our daughter Kimberly just turned 7 in late May. That above pic is from last year. Kimberly was born here in Colorado Springs in 2005, but Hubby and I are both basically from California (he was born in Spain while his dad was working there, but he's a U.S. citizen). I was born in Los Angeles County and lived in southern California until Hubby and I moved to Colorado in early 2004. In all that time except for the last few years we lived there, I basically went to Disneyland with my parents or with other people (visiting family, friends, Girl Scout troop) at least once a year since 1972. When I stopped going, Fastpasses were introduced (I never used any until December 2010 there, after getting used to using them in May 2010 at WDW during our first trip there) and I had only been to Disney California Adventure once - back when they didn't have much at all. I don't even have many photos from the first time I went there, just of some fake "movie star trailers" that were there for the then-popular live action 101 Dalmatians (when Glenn Close played Cruella DeVille). Now I've been there about 4 times, and there is plenty more to photograph. And why are we going this fall? CARS LAND at DCA! It opens June 15th (very soon now, which is another reason I'm starting this pre trip report early). Some of you reading will get there before I do. In fact, my own sister and my parents will most likely explore Cars Land next month while they're out there for my dad's birthday. They've promised to tell me all about it and show me pictures. I know more about Cars Land right now than they do, lol. I've read up on it on various websites, seen videos online and on TV (Ellen sent the two funny little English girls Sophia Grace and Rosie there, and they were the first kids let into the place....America's Funniest Home Videos filmed their season finale there and showed two of the three rides in action). I've got pictures I'll post here that I got from Facebook and from a website or two, if that's okay. It's a great new addition to Disney California Adventure, as is Buena Vista Street from what I hear (red trolley car, Carthay Circle theater replica, fountain, tile benches).

Originally Hubby didn't want to go on this trip, but I reminded him that we'll come home raving about how fun Radiator Springs Racers was (we've likened it to Test Track and that's Kimberly's favorite ride) and then he'll HAVE to go see it next time we're down there....so let's just all go see it at the same time and share the experience. Kimberly is looking forward to the trip. If anyone reading hasn't read my earlier trip report, the link is in my signature below (October 2011 WDW trip) and I buried three days of Disneyland "day trip" reports in it. Specifically, if you start at post #40 on page 2 of that report and read through page 4 you'll read and see pictures of two days Kimberly and I spent at DL & DCA (all together that's DLR for Disneyland Resort) a few days apart. We drove back and forth from my parents' house. I've never stayed on site, ever. Dad went with us on the first day, a Sunday. The second time it was just Kimberly and me. Then there's a brief addition to the trip story on page 5, post #113. THEN later in the report, on page 14 at post #336, I tell the story of one December day spent at DLR (just Kimberly and me). There are LOTS of pictures, and I mention that here because all except for anything new since we last went to Disneyland I pretty much photographed everything in the two parks already. I'm sure I'll take more pictures on the upcoming October trip, of course - but maybe not of everything I already posted in the past. So feel free to read those pages I mentioned. I had views of the Cadillac Range in Cars Land when they were still being built/painted (you get great views from atop the Mickey Fun Wheel on Paradise Pier). I took lots of pics of the Storybookland miniature scenes you see from the boats and the Casey Jr train rides. And I am always pretty detailed about what time we got in line for something, what time we boarded the ride and when it ended. In October we'll have more time so my usual park touring plans won't be as rigidly planned as in the past. Still, we will try to not have any long lines.

I have everything planned/booked for the trip (hotel, airfare) except for dining reservations and the Disneyland Express bus that can get us from LAX to our Disney Paradise Pier hotel (overlooking DCA, but we won't have a theme park view unless they surprise us with a free upgrade, hehe). I have heard that we don't have to book the bus ahead of time, but I will still call ahead maybe a couple weeks before our trip. We have a connection in Denver on the way out there, but we have a direct flight when we return home on the Friday to Colorado Springs (good, because we'll land late at night and then it's just a 20 minute easy drive home from the airport).

If this will fit, I'll include some hotel pics now that I got from Disney's site:
    ourHotel.jpg

ourHotelanotherView.jpg

ourHotelSign.jpg

More in the next post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 WDW&US ASMo 1 Day Solo US&DHS Trip Report, 2011 Poly (incl. DLR/DCA July & Dec)
    Trip Report, 2012 DLR PPier Trip Report w/bonus features, 2013 ASMo Trip Report, 2014 Oct AKL-KV, BLT & Nov ASSp WDW&US Trip Report & more.

Yep, I took photos of the computer screen - many times you'll be able to see the website above the picture. Anyway, we got a $125 discount from a code I've been saving from CheapTickets (we got air travel through them last year and they sent me a discount code to use on hotel reservations) so we opted for the least expensive of the three on site Disney hotels rather than go with a nearby "good neighbor" hotel within walking distance. Paradise Pier is also within walking distance, and I've learned that we could even walk to Grand Californian across the street and go through their lower level to get to Downtown Disney or through their exit into DCA. You would think Disneyland's monorail would stop at each hotel, but no....it stops at a station near Rainforest Cafe in DTD (in Anaheim, DTD is smaller than Orlando's and is spread out between the two theme parks as far as I recall) and otherwise goes roundtrip back to where you board the ride in Tomorrowland near the Nemo Submarine ride. We'll have five nights there, and we're only going into the parks on 5 of the six days. The Sunday we arrive, it'll be around 3:30 pm at LAX so by the time we get to our hotel we're just going to relax, have dinner at the hotel or somewhere in DTD, look around, but not go into either theme park. We won't have a car, so visiting family members (my parents and Hubby's mom) will drive to us for the days they can make it. My parents plan to come out on the Wednesday, I think, which would have been my grandma's birthday (Mom's mom), so we will dine somewhere nice - maybe Steakhouse 55 in the Disneyland Hotel or else somewhere of my mom's choosing. Technically, while we have park hopper tickets for each weekday of our trip (we leave for home on the Friday but our flight isn't until after 8 at night so we can stow our luggage with the front desk and go spend some time in DL or DCA or both), we might not be in the parks all five days. It was a good deal price-wise to go ahead and get 5 days of tickets when I bought them from Disney's site - just like with WDW tickets, they get cheaper per day the more days you get them (if that makes any sense). I'm not sure Hubby knows I got us five days' worth of tickets, hehe. So, if my parents want to go into a park with us, they'll get their own day tickets - same for Hubby's mom, who might actually go into both parks with us since she hasn't been to DLR in a long time (she's coming a different day than my parents - they all get along fine, but this way the grandparents get their "own time" with Kimberly). And she could maybe stay the night in our room with us, sharing Kimberly's bed, since she has a much longer drive and may as well go home the next morning. She has offered to stay in the room one night with Kimberly while Hubby and I go out and do something (maybe that's when we'll see Fantasmic or ride Indiana Jones, whatever Kimberly won't do. She has seen Fantasmic before, but in reserved seating at DHS - and she is almost tall enough now for the Indiana Jones ride and the CA Screamin' coaster, but so far she's leery to try either of them).

As for meals, the dining plan Disneyland Resort offers confuses me - plus, I didn't book the trip package with Disney (hotel was through Cheap Tickets, and airfare was through Hotwire....park hopper tickets so far were the only thing bought through Disney). And I never know what does and does not accept the dining plan (not all possible food locations might accept the vouchers). So, we're paying out of pocket and maybe by then that's all we'll have left to pay for the trip. Two things I'd like to book ahead of time (60 days out for DLR dining) are the Minnie & Friends Breakfast at the Plaza Inn in Tomorrowland (I've heard there are characters there we haven't met yet in any of the parks) and the Storytellers Cafe breakfast (with characters that might include Meeko from Pocahontas, a rare one now) at the Grand Californian. Character-wise, Kimberly has posed with A LOT OF THEM now, thanks to all the trips dated 2009 and later in my signature....starting with the November 2009 cruise, through a couple DLR day trips, two WDW trips. I actually have a photo book put together by Shutterfly that show all the good character photos of Kimberly with them over the years. I have scanned the pages into JPG files and will post them here later. There aren't many characters left for her to meet now, lol - of the ones she WANTS to meet.

For now, though: More pics of the hotel where we'll stay....
    ourHotelRoomSample.jpg

ourHotelToonsLobby.jpg

ourHotelPoolOverhead.jpg

The pool, jacuzzi and slide (not attached to the pool at all) are on the roof of the third floor.
    ourHotelPool.jpg

I've heard we can go up there and hear/see the DL fireworks at night.
    ourHotelJacuzzi.jpg

The main restaurant in our hotel (not sure of its name...I don't think it's Goofy's Kitchen) - the pic might not post here:
    2010 WDW&US ASMo 1 Day Solo US&DHS Trip Report, 2011 Poly (incl. DLR/DCA July & Dec)
    Trip Report, 2012 DLR PPier Trip Report w/bonus features, 2013 ASMo Trip Report, 2014 Oct AKL-KV, BLT & Nov ASSp WDW&US Trip Report & more.

Nope, the restaurant pic didn't post. I'll do more later. Bye for now.

Hello!!!! I'm in of course! The hotel looks nice & it's sounds like you got a good deal. I can't wait to see your photos. I wish I could get over to Disneyland - it looks great!

Thanks, Michala - I realized after I emailed the link to you and Amanda yesterday I forgot to "sign" it, lol. But you'd know from the email address that it was from me.
    ----------------------
    The photo amongst the hotel pics (posted yesterday) that looks like a sand castle against a wall - that is the lobby TV area, where the kids (of all ages) can sit and watch cartoons. What I don't yet have, and I'll probably just wait and take my own picture of it when we get there, is a pic of the Goofy surfer statue in the lobby. When I told my sister where we would be staying (she's not joining us this time - she went on my first WDW trip with me in May 2010 and lives in Texas), she said, "Oh, the one with the big Goofy statue in the lobby!" She stayed there before for a work conference (she works at a Houston university, in the field of student leadership), and my parents apparently visited her there....it was very windy (spring time) and she walked them through all nearby Disney buildings including the Grand Californian hotel (the most expensive of the three Disney Anaheim hotels, designed by the same architect who designed Wilderness Lodge in Orlando). When I told my dad about how to get to the hotel (and I emailed the directions to Hubby's mom), I told him to just remember the address is 1717 S. Disneyland Drive. 1717 is their home address number, so that should be easy to remember.
    Parking at the hotel costs the same as parking in one of the theme park parking lots, so they may as well park at our hotel and be closer to meeting up with us (see our room, etc.) when they're here.

Now I'll see what random pics I have left to add here. First, a pic of my parents (taken by ME, ha!) - it was taken almost five years ago but they still look the same (and you'll see some pics of my dad in the July portion of the TR I mentioned since he went to DLR on one of the two days with Kimberly and me):
    DadMom.jpg

I don't have a good photo ready to share of my Hubby's mom Toni....so we'll wait and I will get a photo taken of her later when she meets us at Disney. She is very active with Kimberly, like a best friend doing all the same things together. Toni went with us to Knott's Berry Farm once (great theme park in Buena Park, CA - with Kimberly, my parents and me) and my dad observed them and said jokingly, "It was nice Kimberly's little friend could come along." She'll give her horsey rides and everything. Not bad for a lady aged 67. She has two other grandchildren, older than Kimberly. My parents have no other grandchildren besides Kimberly and they don't move around like that any more, lol. Mom will be 66 this year, and Dad will be 69 in July.

Here is a pic I took from Facebook and it is now my computer's desktop wallpaper:
    desktopWallpaper.jpg

And here is the current picture on my Droid phone, as wallpaper:
    cellPhonePic.jpg
    I think it's Mickey Mouse with a bag of candy or something shiny. It's one of the few pictures that would fit and still let me see it around the little icons for apps on my phone. Speaking of my phone, I got a black backpack that has a battery charger inside, so as long as I keep THAT charged I should be able to re-charge my Droid whilst in the parks whenever necessary. In July at DCA, my phone was being used so much for photos and FB posts, etc., it died rather early in the days - so hopefully that won't happen again.

I re-joined Facebook about a month or so ago, mostly to keep in touch with my next door neighbor who just moved to Georgia (yes, of course, I told her she's within good driving distance to WDW now - so some day she'll take her two kids there). One of the hotel pics I posted (the very clear one, lol) was borrowed from Facebook, too - they let you download the pics. Most of the internet pics I took screen shots of are from disneylandnewstoday.com (a good site for just seeing pictorial tours and finding out what's new at DLR). I'm on Touring Plans for the Disney Anaheim parks to check crowd levels and line (queue) lengths.

Speaking of crowd levels, want to know what the crowd levels are for the dates we'll be at DLR? Overall, each day it ranges between 1 and 3 (out of 10!) for one or both parks. I have the estimated park hours (because they're not released yet for October, so TP guessed based on previous Octobers) and I only care about the Monday through Friday hours since we're not going on Sunday:
    Monday the 22nd: DL open 8 am - 6 pm (there might be a Halloween party that night)...Crowd level 1.1
    DCA open 10 am - 8 pm....Crowd level 3.2 (World of Color at 8:15 pm)
    Tuesday the 23rd: DL open 8 am - 6 pm (I'll find out probably in September if these hours change)...Crowd level 1.1
    *Magic Morning (think EMH) at DL for Disney and Good Neighbor hotel guests: open at 7 am (will we make it?!?!?)
    DCA open 10 am - 8 pm....Crowd level 2.9 (World of Color 8:15 pm)
    Wednesday the 24th: DL open 9 am - 8 pm....Crowd level 1.7
    DCA open 10 am - 8 pm....Crowd level 3.0 (World of Color 8:15 pm)
    Thursday the 25th: DL open 9 am - 8 pm....Crowd level 1.6
    *Magic Morning (we only get to pick one to attend during our stay - you get this with a 3 day stay or longer) 8 am
    DCA open 10 am - 8 pm....Crowd level 3.3 (World of Color 8:15 pm)
    Friday the 26th: DL open 8 am - 7 pm....Crowd level 1.9
    DCA open 10 am - 11 pm.......Crowd level 6.5 (see how it starts jumping up from Fridays through the weekends)

I didn't jot down all the expected parades (Mickey's Soundsational Parade), the Mickey's Halloween Parties and World of Color shows, but we will catch WoC at least once (there is a lunch/dinner package we could do through Wine Country Trattoria or Ariel's Grotto for a priority standing-to-watch area, and I think Hubby would prefer the food from WCT). I've looked at menus online (thank you to allears.net - they provide more menu info than Disneyland's own site), and we might try the new Carthay Circle "premier cuisine" area (the inside reminds me a bit of HBD at DHS) but I doubt we'll dine much at the Grand Californian....the Napa Rose place, while very well reviewed, doesn't seem to have much of what Hubby would eat (he's even fussier than our daughter) and it seems too expensive. We can get filet mignon, lamb and other things like that elsewhere on property and it might cost less.

Now I'll end this post with a pic I found on FB of the dragon from Disneyland's Fantasmic - it's impressive (at DL, you're lucky if you get to sit down to see the show...and that requires staking out a spot in advance. Most of us stand to see the spectacle. I once got to stand on the bridge over the POTC line, but I don't think people can be up there any more without special permission/paying):
    FantasmicDragon.jpg
    Last edited by RebeccaMcK; 06-07-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Park Hopper tickets breakdown for the 5 days: Just dividing the total I paid of $723 between three people (I know the child's ticket costs less than the adults', but here I'm just dividing it equally between the three of us), that's $241 per person, and that breaks down to a little over $48 per person, per day. That's more like what it USED to cost to get into Disneyland (I remember when admission was around $35 per adult). I had priced 3-day ticket cards (hoppers) that I could get at King Soopers (Kroger market) nearby, and it's $198 per child under age 9 and $214 per person aged 10 and up. Well, we're there for so long it seemed a waste to only get 3-day tickets. Even if I'd bought enough of those 3-day tickets to equal six days' worth, it would have totaled $1,252.00 for the three of us. You get a discount for getting the tix directly from Disney online, so this wound up being worth it to me. I had to pay $5 for shipping and handling (that's included in the $723 total) since I wanted the tix mailed to me (and I have them now)...so that's just more points on my Disney Chase Visa, which before this trip was booked was completely paid off thanks to an inheritance my grandma left me. In fact, you could say she basically paid for all our Disney trips thus far (whatever we hadn't paid off in the mean time since the November 2009 Disney Wonder cruise) - which is another reason my parents and we will toast her wherever we dine on her birthday during our trip. Here is a pic of Kimberly with her great grandma, at K's fourth birthday (a princess tea party):
    withGG.jpg
    That was a fun girls-only party a few years ago, and Kimberly was dressed as Belle (she still fits into the outfit). My mom and grandma came up here to help plan and host the party. Dad came, too, and he kept the doggies out of the way (they had their dachshund with them, and I have our dachshund Peanut). When my parents go with my sister to DLR next month (for one day - they live 45 minutes from the parks), my dad will use another day from his 3-day ticket that he bought with me last July, and the ticket is good through this September so he'll go another time and hopefully get the same ticket deal for my mom so she can use the park hoppers, too. They'll do Disney at "their speed" which includes going into all the shops, skipping the fast rides, going window shopping, eating/drinking (mostly hot tea for mom, coffee for dad), and looking around. Mom hasn't been into DCA at all yet, so Cars Land, Buena Vista Street, the Hollywood area, Paradise Pier, and the mermaid ride will all impress her. Speaking of the Little Mermaid ride, I found one pic on FB that I decided to steal and post here, because while I took a lot of pics on the ride myself (they're in the July and December pages of the other TR) they were mostly a bit blurry - so now here is a good pic of Ariel in one of the ride's early scenes:
    ArielRide.jpg

Earlier, I mentioned a restaurant pic from Paradise Pier Hotel - and this is from their Surfside Lounge in their lobby area:
    ourHotelRestaurantSample.jpg

We will most likely have dinner at PCH Grill our arrival night. I mentioned Goofy's Kitchen before in an earlier post, but that's in the Disneyland Hotel. I don't think we're going to go there, but if we do, their characters include Mad Hatter, Alice, Goofy and Pluto. They are all I saw mentioned. Their breakfast includes b'fast enchiladas, Mickey waffles, Mickey pancakes, French Toast, sausage, bacon. We'll dine at Steakhouse 55 in the DLand Hotel, and their menu includes crab cake, a 7-onion soup, short ribs, NY strip, filet mignon, ribeye, porterhouse, prime rib, lamb (Napa Rose has lamb too, but we'd prefer this place), chicken, salmon, potatoes au gratin, garlic mashed potatoes, mac'n'cheese, spinach, green beans -- I only wrote down what I know my family would eat. There are probably other menu options, too, of course. But when I mentioned all the in-hotel eateries to Hubby as a possibility of where we'd go for a nice sit-down meal, Steakhouse 55 sounded the most promising to him.

He'll have to do SOME buffets, of course (he recently said he doesn't like buffets any more; he prefers to be served at the table). We'll have the Minnie & Friends Breakfast buffet at the Plaza Inn near Tomorrowland, like I mentioned before - the characters include Minnie, Tigger, Captain Hook, Tweedle Dee, Tweedle Dum, Fairy Godmother, and Rafiki. RAFIKI!! If we meet him there, we definitely won't have to search him out at Disney Orlando any more (we've never been to the place in AK where we could supposedly meet him if he's still there). And believe it or not, Kimberly has never met the Fairy Godmother or the Tweedle twins. She's not that into Alice in Wonderland but she has happily met Alice before, at Epcot. The characters at Minnie's breakfast seem kind of random, but I know someone who has been there every trip to hug Tigger (she's my sister's age, lol) and she was pretty confident about the reported characters. Maybe others we haven't met would be there, too. We've met Minnie, Tigger and Captain Hook before.

The character breakfast from 7 - 11:30 am at Storytellers Cafe in the Grand Californian Hotel (where you can apparently either order the buffet or an entree from the menu, which I bet Hubby will opt to do) include Chip'n'Dale, Meeko (from Pocahontas) and whomever else. I stopped writing at Meeko....Kimberly would love to meet him. She has met Pocahontas before and asked if the humming bird is also a character she could meet. Nope. Oh well. From 11:30 am until 2 pm, that place serves lunch and it includes food like spare ribs, a chicken quesadilla, NY steak, ravioli, carne asada (Hubby might like that), margherita flatbread, spaghetti, burgers, turkey club sandwich, and for kids chicken nuggets, pizza, or mac'n'cheese. Again, I only wrote down menu items I know my family would eat.

I'm counting on those crowd levels staying low for our trip days, because that way we wouldn't have to be at rope drop each morning and could take our time enjoying a couple of these breakfasts (I'll pack granola bars and maybe cereal for other mornings, and we could get breakfast delivered to our room from Room Service once). Of course, whichever morning we do the Minnie's Breakfast at Plaza Inn, we'll be let into the park early to go do that whether it's a Magic Morning hour or not. I'll be able to get an empty (crowdless) photo of Sleeping Beauty Castle! I have never done that, except for maybe some "off to the side" pics that show only Kimberly and my dad (in the other TR), which make it seem like no one else is around (but they are).

By the way, we got our Park Hopper tickets before the prices went up. Now, for example, to get a one day two park ticket (hopper), it costs $125 for an adult. To do just ONE of the two parks for one day, it costs $87 per adult. I told Hubby's mom that we'll help her out with her ticket if necessary. I think that my parents will probably NOT go into the parks when they come see us, seeing as how by then they'll probably have gone twice (Dad has those two days left on his existing ticket and it won't still be good in October) - but I could see Toni wanting to go into at least one of the two parks with us. I have told her about Cars Land, and she saw the first movie. She also hasn't been to Disneyland in years, probably not since Hubby was a kid (or at least a teenager). I bet she could talk Kimberly into doing some of the rides we haven't been able to talk her into doing (but now Kimberly at least says she WILL ride Haunted Mansion, like we ALMOST did last December before she had to use the restroom after we'd been in line for a looooooong time....the difference is, now her Daddy will be there, too - and we three can maybe ride together. Or else Toni could ride with her and I'll ride with Hubby, however we fit in those ride vehicles, lol. I am not a small person. I used to be, a long time ago, lol).

Ending for now. More later when I have time.
    Last edited by RebeccaMcK; 06-07-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Downtown Disney, where I think we'll spend some time since it's the walking route (if we go that way) to the main gates of both parks. I found a pic of it that shows it from a bit overhead, at night:
    DTDabove.jpg
    I haven't really spent much time at Anaheim's DTD before. I have walked around it in the past. I remember having a meal somewhere there a long time ago but can't really remember where it was, lol. I have a map of the DTD area (showing the three Disney hotels as well) from a good site (it admittedly needs a little updating because some of the guy's maps are a little old) that lets you download the PDF files. The site is here: http://willcad.org/disney_maps.shtml

And from what I can tell in the tiny print on the DTD map that I printed out, amongst its color coding, there is: a House of Blues, a Rainforest Cafe (I'm sure we'll eat there at some point...we've dined at a couple in the past including DTD Orlando's), ESPN Zone, Tortilla Jo's (my sis says avoid that place; she didn't like her meal there in December), Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen (or Creole Cafe, according to allears.net), Naple's Ristorante & Pizzeria (my sis says that place is very good), Catal Restaurant (Mediterranean)....and what's not on the map is La Brea Bakery Cafe & Express (might be new-ish, as are some of the following), Uva Bar, Napolini, Haagen Daas, Compass Books Cafe, Jamba Juice, and some shops including Lego Store and World Of Disney. The old map shows a Build A Bear shop, too, but I don't know if it's there any more.

We might eat in more than just RFC, time and our appetites will tell.

I'll get to Cars Land stuff soon. First, I heard the Matterhorn is re-opening soon from its lengthy refurbishment (which included new ride vehicles, yay!). The new ride vehicles are more like the Magic Kingdom Space Mtn pods. One person per seat, with seat belts. Hated it for Space Mtn at Magic Kingdom (jerky ride no matter where you sit), but it might do well for Matterhorn. I found pics online:
    newMatterhornSeats.jpg

Matterhorn.jpg

MatterhornSegment.jpg

I take my own pics occasionally of the Matterhorn (an old classic DL attraction that is technically part of Fantasyland but it's close to Tomorrowland too), but I never get the views that the above pics show, so there you are. In case I forget later to try for my own pics of it. I love that ride. I wonder if part of the refurb included updating the abominable snowman (animatronic) inside that you see once or twice. I'm on enough FB pages related to Disneyland, I might find out soon once the ride re-opens and someone posts something.

While showing some DL pics, I'll share these next ones too - Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage...a must do if you've never done it. The sub doesn't go all the way under water, but your little observatory windows by your seats are under water and you'll see scenes down in the lagoon from "Finding Nemo." Lines are shortest for that ride first thing in the morning, so that's when we do it (now we're just going to do it if Kimberly spots the ride and wants to go on it, since we've done it three or four times now). The pics I have are from above the water level:
    NemoSubsLagoon.jpg

More in the next post. No more pics will fit here.
    Last edited by RebeccaMcK; 07-31-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: changed "lap bars" on Matterhorn to "seat belts"

More of the submarine lagoon area:

NemoSeagulls.jpg

NemoSub.jpg

NemoSubsRide.jpg
    I hope those are all different pics, lol. There are some new monorails in use, and since the monorail ride loads and unloads right next to the submarine voyage ride I'll put the pics I have of two of the new Cars-themed monorails here:
    CarsMonorail2.jpg

CarsMonorailOverLagoon.jpg

Alright, I've put it off long enough. Here is what I know about Cars Land, opening June 15th at DCA. It's big, lol. The Cadillac Range is made up of all that red rock stuff jutting out during all the construction (I don't know why I never noticed in the first "Cars" movie that all those parts jutting out in the landscape looked like old cars, fenders, etc.). Willy's Butte, I think, is the "balanced rock" bit you can see from part of the walk path and/or during the Radiator Springs Racers ride (the ride I'm looking forward to the most....just found out the other day its height minimum is 40 inches, so Kimberly is good to ride - she's almost 48 inches tall now). RSR (Radiator Springs Racers) has its queue path start at the end of that Route 66 stretch that you'll see in pics....you turn right near the courthouse at the end of the street, past Flo's V8 Cafe and all of that stuff (I have heard that Flo's features an outdoor patio/balcony with seating so you can eat/drink while watching the cars zip around on the RSR ride below - I'll find out if that's true, but it would be cool if it is because I'd like to try Flo's....haven't seen a real menu yet but they have eatable food for my family, I think). I'll post some pics now:
    CarsLandMerch.jpg
    Looks like some of my photo files are too large. The above pic just shows a merchandise stand for Cars Land, with t-shirts and toys, etc. This next one shows Cadillac Range visible beyond the Pacific Wharf (outdoor food court) area:
    CadillacRangeBeyondWharf.jpg
    The next pic shows some of the cute baby tractors used in Mater's Junkyard Jamboree ride (each tractor looks different, and they pull the riders around, who sit in the back two or three to each seat):
    JunkyardJamboree.jpg

JunkyardJamboree2.jpg
    Here now is some of the Cadillac Range scenery:
    CadillacRangeScenery.jpg

I'll do more in another post. I need the files to be smaller. Might have to take my own pics of them on the computer screen.

RSR ride:
    RSRsign.jpg

RSRride.jpg

More scenery:
    CarsLandScenery2.jpg

I don't seem to have a pic of the third new ride, Luigi's Flying Tires. That one looks cool, because you sit in a ride vehicle that looks like a tire lying down and you lean to control which way it goes over the "air hockey" like surface. When they've shown it on videos or on TV, they've had beach balls out there flying around over the air holes. I'll try to find a pic, since I need to go size down my other pics or take new ones. First more scenery (we'll have to check out Cars Land both during the day and at night so we can see the cool neon lights):

CarsLandNight2.jpg

CarsLandNight3.jpg

You can see Tower of Terror off in the distance, but a bit before it in the foreground of this pic you can see the top of Tow Mater's shack (house) that is near his Junkyard Jamboree ride (the baby tractors):

MaterShackBeforeTOT.jpg

And here is the sign near his ride, which I forgot to post earlier with those cute baby tractor photos:
    MaterSign.jpg

While I'm waiting for the new Cars Land pics I emailed from my phone to get onto my computer, here are more pics from DCA:

The new replica of Carthay Circle Theater (where "Snow White" premiered in 1937 according to the plaque there) and the nice fountain near it.
    CarthayCIrcle.jpg
    CarthayCircleFountain.jpg
    CarthayCircleSign.jpg

Near this new part of what I think is Buena Vista Street there are also two new Red Trolley Cars that will be fun to ride (or just look at while walking around). I don't have pics of them yet, but they're on websites.

More in a bit.

More Cars Land (also note: RSR is supposed to have FP available):
    Cars.jpg

Cars2.jpg

CarsDay.jpg

Paradise Pier, which is the area behind the World of Color show lagoon and it has the coaster California Screamin' (the loop is now smaller, not fully filling that round section you see in the pic), Mickey's Fun Wheel (ferris wheel), Toy Story Midway Mania (not shown, but it's among the boardwalk games area along that "pier" and does not yet offer FP), Goofy's Sky School (kiddie coaster way off to the right, not shown), Silly Symphony Swings, King Triton's Carousel, Jumpin' Jellyfish (Kimberly and I rode that before, it's in the other TR), Golden Zephyr (rocket ship you sit in with others that goes around a pole), and four eateries that include Ariel's Grotto (off to the left before you actually walk down the Pier area), Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta (new), Paradise Garden Grill (smells good, haven't eaten there yet), and Corn Dog Castle. The Little Mermaid ride (Ariel's Undersea Adventure) is wonderful and is on the side of the lagoon from where most of the ferris wheel/CA Screamin' scenic photos are taken. So while looking at these next shots, know that it's behind you. Big building, can't miss it. I took pics of it that are in my other TR.
    ParadisePier.jpg

ParadisePier2.jpg

Here is a pic of the Animation Building, off to the side along the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area at DCA. It's off to the left as you enter the park and walk towards the theater where the "Aladdin" musical is performed. Inside the Animation building is where you'll find Turtle Talk with Crush, the Sorcerer's Workshop (you can put your voice in some animated scenes, thanks to Ursula the Seawitch stealing your voice), the Animation Academy and the Beast's Library I showed parts of in my other TR (I recommend doing some of that air-conditioned indoor stuff during any down time in the park after you've done all the rides you want to do; it's fun and interesting). Around the corner from that area (outside, duh) is how you get to Tower of Terror and one of the entrances to "a bug's land" (kiddie ride area near ITTBAB).

AnimationBldg.jpg

tileBenchesDCA.jpg
    Above are some tile benches people online seem to be excited about - authentic "old California" stuff to fit the Buena Vista Street theme near the Carthay Circle Theater replica. And those are all the "new" pics I have of stuff at DCA. Now I'll show some more of Disneyland:

TrainStation.jpg
    ^Main Street Train Station.

Near there, the theater with Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln (see it once in your life, maybe more than that if you love it):
    MrLincoln.jpg
    MrLincoln.jpg
    He's arguably one of the best animatronics you'll ever see (Jay talked about it on "Modern Family" recently) - he gets up out of his chair while talking! And the Civil War film they show is good.

More of Main Street USA I don't think I've shown before in TRs:

MainSt.jpg

PennyArcadeMainSt.jpg

PennyArcade.jpg

The above two shots are of the Penny Arcade, which I haven't been inside in a very long time. I don't know if you can still play each game/activity for a penny (one cent) or not. It's fun, though, from what I can remember.

You can go meet Merida from "Brave" (new movie coming out June 22nd, all three of us are going to see it) and from what I can tell from photos, her meet area is over by It's A Small World (where there is room):

BraveSet.jpg
    BraveSet2.jpg
    Ah well, the last pic I had from that "Brave" meet set won't fit here. Next time.

There is archery of sorts, I think. We're Brave if we stick around.
    BraveArchery.jpg

It's A Small World is lovely at Disneyland, at least different on the outside from its Magic Kingdom version. I took various pics of others' pics of how it's lit up on various nights (they do their Magic, Memories & You light/picture show over there):

SmallWorldDay.jpg
    SmallWorldExteriorShow.jpg
    SmallWorldExteriorShow2.jpg
    SmallWorldHolidayNight.jpg
    One of them didn't post. Next time.

SmallWorldOutsideShow.jpg

And there is a cute little area near Snow White's wishing well (where you can hear her singing btw) that I've taken a photo of before (in my other TR) but here is a pic I borrowed to show her and the seven dwarfs' statues off to the right of the here-unseen well:
    SnowWhite.jpg

Speaking of Snow White, here is an old pic of Kimberly wearing her first Snow White costume. This was probably in 2008 or 2009. She has another Snow White outfit now, thanks to my mom who brought one on our October WDW trip (and there are pics of her wearing it in that TR).
    FirstSnowWhiteOutfit.jpg

I've shown pics of the various dark ride exteriors in Fantasyland before, but I've never looked at the rooftops. Apparently there are cool iron things on the tops! I only have a picture of one of them, a ship atop the Peter Pan ride's roof:
    AtopPeterPanRideRoof.jpg

Atop the Pinocchio ride roof there is a whale, and that's all that comes to mind right now. If you're ever there, look up and see them. Pretty cool.

Now that her daddy will be there with us, maybe I can get Kimberly to ride Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (maybe I will leave out the word "wild"). She's just slightly familiar with the book his story came from, "The Wind in the Willows":
    MrToad.jpg

More next time I post.

That photo of Kim is too cute!!!!

I love iasw lit up like that. It looks amazing! Loving all these photos :D I still can't believe that tsmm doesn't have FP. It must get seriously crazy over there!!!!!

Yeah, they just all line up to ride. I'm not sure but I think most of the queue is outside, under a roof. I've never been in the TSMM queue at DCA. We'll try it this next trip as long as it looks like a short queue.

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    Computer hint you didn't ask for (I know, unsolicited advice and all that). Anywhoo:

When you see a picture on a website, right click on it, choose "copy image location", then come back here and click "insert image", switch it to "from URL", right click in text box and select "paste", and UN-check the "retrieve remote file". Original pics will show up here, voila!

The only time this won't work is with content like you see on the Disney website where the pictures are actually flash video.

While I'm at it I have a couple more Cars Land pics. (I wonder if that "insert from URL" process would work with photos in Shutterfly albums? That would be great, since I prefer to use them rather than Photobucket.)

^Stanley! His statue is probably over by the courthouse or a firehouse if they have one.

I also jotted down the other Cars Land attractions not mentioned here yet - mostly shops. Radiator Springs Curios (shop), Cozy Cone Motel (treats served in cones, including different flavors of popcorn. I might try the Chili Cone Carne), Fillmore's Taste In (snacks/drinks?), Sarge's Surplus (a shop as far as I know), and Ramone's House of Body Art (hoping it's not a tattoo place, lol).

I don't have pics of all of those, but I will take pics once I'm there. Or I'll borrow some from the internet after opening day, or my sister or dad could send me some when they go in July (Mom doesn't really take pics - she leaves that job to my dad).

More Disneyland:
    Casey Jr. Train (fun to do once or twice in life)
    CaseyJrTrain.jpg
    You'll see the same scenery on the train that you'll see in the Storybookland Boat - the boat may be more comfortable, and you can see the miniature scenes better in my opinion. I had lots of pics of those little scenes in the other TR. Here's one that shows Prince Eric's castle from "The Little Mermaid."
    StorybooklandEricCastle.jpg
    Another pic from the area:
    Storybookland.jpg

Teacups (no roof in Anaheim, just flowery stuff) - I like the blurry effect in this borrowed pic:
    TeaCups.jpg

That's all for now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uh, Stanley appeared twice so I goofed up something. Oh well. Also, know that the Casey Jr train is a bit longer than what is shown - there might be a couple more cars attached. When I rode with Kimberly before, we sat in the "open air" car.

I took this pic while at the movie theater with Kimberly, with the Brave cardboard cut-out (she's the one not being brave, off to the right):
    Last edited by RebeccaMcK; 11-09-2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Deleted pics I had no access to any more

I found some info on the cuisine at Carthay Circle's restaurant. Copied from something I saved from Disney's site or parks blog: Kids can choose from fun creations such as sloppy joes with house-made slaw, pasta and mini crispy tacos, or a beef filet or fish for dinner. Each guest who orders an appetizer and entrée or an entrée and dessert will receive complimentary, center-stage viewing for the “World of Color” nighttime, water spectacular on Paradise Pier Bay. Lunch guests and guests who have dinner before 7 p.m. will receive tickets to the first “World of Color” show; guess who dine after 7 p.m. will receive tickets to the second show. The Lounge menu is divided into Bites, Rolls, Snacks, Small Plates and Finger Desserts, served in a place to “relax, share and have fun,” Sutton says. Tastes range from hot shrimp with a chilled spicy tomato shooter to duck confit sliders with apricot conserve, watercress, crisp onions and Taleggio cheese.
    Appetizers are paired with hand-crafted classic cocktails, California craft beers and world-class wines. Handcrafted purified seltzer sodas dispensed from antique seltzer bottles and meddled with seasonal fresh fruit are a specialty.
    The Carthay Circle Restaurant will be open daily from 11 am - 10 pm daily.*For reservations: 714-781-DINE or email*dine@disneyland.com*with date, time and contact information (as with all dining - R).*“World of Color” packages are available to each guest who orders an appetizer and entrée or an entrée and dessert. They will receive complimentary, center-stage viewing for the nighttime water spectacular.

Buena Vista Street also offers three spots for quick bites:*Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe;*Mortimer’s Market*and Clarabelle’s Hand-Scooped Ice Cream.
    The 178-seat Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe (134 inside, 44 outside) offers Starbucks coffee drinks; signature sandwiches such as a turkey Reuben, paneer and roasted vegetable and salami with olive tapenade, and roast beef and cheddar, as well as savory soups including vegetarian cream spinach, chicken tortilla, classic chicken noodle and cheesy enchilada. Sweet rolls, pastries and breakfast sandwiches are on the morning menu along with specialty coffees.
    Mortimer’s Market will offer whole and cut fruits, bottled water, juices and soft drinks. (According to Disney legend, Mortimer Mouse is the name Walt Disney gave his new creation in 1928. He later changed it to Mickey.)
    Clarabelle’s Hand-Scooped Ice Cream features Dreyer’s ice cream, including bars dipped in milk or dark chocolate that guests can finish with sprinkles, pop rocks and other fun toppings.* Hot fudge and strawberry sundaes and other frozen delights round out the sweet offerings. (Note: spelling mistakes here are Disney's, not mine - R)

Found this pic on DisneylandNewsToday of the summer dinner menu at Carthay Circle (you'll have to zoom in a lot to read everything):
    Last edited by RebeccaMcK; 06-09-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: took out references to the missing photo

Found this article today on DisneylandNewsToday's site (I'll edit somewhat):

"Fun Facts: Cars Land Re-creates Radiator Springs with Familiar Landmarks for Disney California Adventure Park Guests"

It’s like stepping right into the “Cars” movie! Route 66 leads guests at DCA Park into Cars Land, a fully detailed, immersive re-creation of Radiator Springs, the setting for the hit Disney●Pixar animated film “Cars.” Guests will be awed by the panoramic vistas of Ornament Valley, experience the thrills of three new attractions and even get to interact with some of their favorite fuel-driven friends.
    The debut of Cars Land marks the completion of a five-year expansion at DCA, bringing more characters, more adventures and more Disney magic into the park, both day and night.

* The re-creation of Radiator Springs captures the authentic feel of Route 66 with three-dimensional versions of familiar landmarks from the film, including Cadillac Mountain Range in Ornament Valley, Luigi’s Casa Della Tires and Flo’s V8 Café.
    * Only in Radiator Springs do guests learn dance moves like the Overdrive, the Reverse and the Hairpin Turn, all part of the fun at “DJ’s Dance and Drive,” one element of the Route 66 entertainment. DJ spins auto favorites such as “Life in the Fast Lane” and “Car Wash.”
    * When night falls in Radiator Springs, 16 neon signs in bright, luminous colors light the way along Route 66.
    * Signs help tell the story in Radiator Springs, adding humor and life to the town’s four-wheeled residents.
    * The “car-acters” of Cars Land welcome guests at three new attractions:Radiator Springs Racers, Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree and Luigi’s Flying Tires.
    * The historic Route 66 runs 2,448 miles from Chicago to Los Angeles. Route 66 in Cars Land is approximately 525 feet long and 23 feet wide, rich with inspiration from the actual American highway.
    * Cars Land also treats guests to food and merchandise locations inspired by the Radiator Springs landmarks in the film: Flo’s V8 Café, Fillmore’s Taste-In, Cozy Cone Motel, Radiator Springs Curios, Sarge’s Surplus Hut and Ramone’s House of Body Art.
    * The fun of the “Cars” theme extends even to the menus of the Radiator Springs roadside restaurants. Flo’s V8 Café serves old-fashioned, breakfast dishes and home-style rotisserie classics for lunch and dinner, including such specialties as a breakfast chicken tamale with scrambled eggs, entrees such as the Veggie-Tater Bake and house-made Pie-O-Rama pies including strawberry-rhubarb, blueberry-peach and apple-cheddar. At Cozy Cone Motel, each food item is a different “cone-coction,” such as “Pop-cone” and “Chile Cone Queso.”
    -------------

* Cars Land construction began in July 2009.
    * The impressive Cadillac Mountain Range in Ornament Valley stands approximately 125 feet tall at its highest peak, the Pinnacle.
    * The peaks of the mountain range, from left to right, represent Cadillac tail fins from 1957, 1958, 1959 (the Pinnacle), 1960, 1961 and 1962.
    * At nearly 300,000 square feet, the mountain range is the largest rockwork construction in any domestic Disney theme park.
    * More than 4,000 tons of steel were used to erect the mountain range and Radiator Springs Racers attraction.
    * The team of Walt Disney Imagineers devoted more than 28,000 hours to designing the structural system for the rockwork and Radiator Springs Racers show building.
    --------
    The Attractions of Cars Land:

Radiator Springs Racers: A leisurely, scenic tour of Ornament Valley turns into an all-out race for the Piston Cup as guests race side-by-side through the mountain range, around Willy’s Butte and past the plunging waterfall, Radiator Falls – all familiar sights to fans of the movie.

* The ride vehicles come in eight colors, each with its own personality.
    * Each six-passenger convertible features a male or female face, with different details in the eyes and lips. The gender of a car is determined by color.
    * Guests board cars for a scenic road trip, meandering through the countryside and the town of Radiator Springs. After a stop at Luigi’s Casa Della Tires or Ramone’s House of Body Art, guests and their cars get some final racing tips from Doc Hudson.
    * When the race begins, racers split onto parallel tracks, zooming nose-to-nose through the desert landscape. Part of the thrills: Guests will never know who is going to win.
    * New to Radiator Springs is Taillight Caverns, which Disney Imagineers conceived as a stunning finish to the dramatic race.
    * The attraction covers nearly six acres – the largest attraction by acreage at the Disneyland Resort.
    * The “Cars” movie composer, Jonathan Sacks, composed the attraction score.
    * Each vehicle will travel approximately 36,000 miles per year.
    * This is a Disney FASTPASS attraction.
    * Minimum height requirement: 40 inches
    ---------
    Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree: Everyone’s favorite tow truck, Mater, has corralled a herd of runaway baby tractors in his junkyard. Guests are invited to an old-fashioned “tow-si-do” in Mater’s salvage yard as they ride trailers hitched to the baby tractors.

* Larry the Cable Guy (the voice of Mater from “Cars”) recorded seven original songs for the attraction, backed by favorite Disneyland park performers Billy Hill & the Hillbillies.
    * Mater’s songs are played on his own special jukebox, made of rusty oil drums, hubcaps, car hoods, horns, mufflers and other auto parts he has collected along the road.
    * None of the 22 tractors in Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree are the same. Like the individual cows in a herd, the tractors all have different markings, mouths and eye colors. They have one thing in common: They all love to dance.
    * The baby tractors are new characters inspired by the movie and created especially for Cars Land.
    * License plates on the baby tractors have letters that represent initials and birthdays of key contributors to the Cars Land project from Walt Disney Imagineering and Pixar Animation Studios.
    * Minimum height requirement: 32 inches
    --------------
    Luigi’s Flying Tires: At Luigi’s Casa Della Tires, “Cars” characters Luigi and Guido play host to a “Festival of the Flying Tires.” When the music starts, tires float and dance in the grand tradition of a celebration that first started in Luigi’s hometown of Carsoli, Italy.

* Guests board vehicles that look like oversized Fettuccini-brand tires, accommodating up to two adults and one child, or one adult and two children.
    * Luigi gives a countdown “Uno for the money, due for the show, tre to get ready and quattro to go!” and drops the flag for the “Festival of the Flying Tires.”
    * Gliding along, guests shift their body weight to guide the direction of the vehicle, bumping into other tires as they float across Luigi’s 8,000-square-foot Italian garden and tire storage yard.
    * Guests may work as a team to guide their tire and, for extra fun, try to catch one of the inflatable balls scattered throughout the attraction.
    * It takes 6,714 air vents to keep the tires floating ever so slightly above the ground – approximately two inches.
    * The voice of award-winning actor Tony Shalhoub (from "Monk" and "Wings"), who voiced Luigi in the movie, is heard throughout the attraction.
    * Nostalgic Disneyland fans will recognize the attraction as a descendant of the Flying Saucers attraction, which operated in Tomorrowland from 1961 to 1966.
    * Minimum height requirement: 32 inches
    ---------------
    Meet the Residents of Radiator Springs

* Lightning McQueen and Mater, residents of Radiator Springs and best friends always, settle in at the Cozy Cone Motel to meet guests and pose for photos. Other “car-acters” are featured in the shops, restaurants and attractions.
    * Red the Fire Truck enlists young guests to help him water the flowers and clean up the town of Radiator Springs. Red makes sure that everything – and everybody – gets wet in some fun, interactive water play.
    * DJ’s Dance Party, as seen in “Cars,” features DJ the rolling boom box with a mischievous personality and built-in CD changer. He and his team of dancers coast down the boulevard, creating a rollicking dance party wherever they go.

Also, from the same site, is an article about Buena Vista Street, which explains what they're going for there (I edited a bit and took out some quotes). Some of why I put some of this stuff in the TR is so I can read it myself (again) before heading into that area in October.

"Expanded Disney California Adventure Park Features New Entrance Themed to Los Angeles of the 1920s and ’30s, When Walt Disney Arrived With Big Dreams and Plans for an Animation Studio"

ANAHEIM, Calif., June 6, 2012 – When guests walk into a Disney theme park, they find themselves in a place apart from the everyday world they leave behind. At Disneyland Park, the adventure begins on turn-of-the-century Main Street, U.S.A. At the newly expanded Disney California Adventure Park, it now begins on Buena Vista Street, a nostalgic look at Los Angeles as it may have appeared to Walt Disney in the 1920s and ’30s when he first arrived in California.

Buena Vista Street welcomes guests to a very specific “Disney California Adventure,” the adventure of a young Walt Disney stepping off the train from Kansas City and into 1920s Los Angeles, the beginning of a wonderful, inspirational period of his life. The dynamic themed environment transports guests to another era, along this boulevard of dreams.

On Buena Vista Street, guests board the Red Car Trolley to take a tour and clang-clang-clang their way into Hollywood Land. The tour includes Carthay Circle Theatre, a striking, new Disney California Adventure landmark that stands at the hub of the park, with a beautiful fountain and avenues that lead to the eight themed lands of Disney California Adventure. It’s also home to one of the premier dining locations at Disneyland Resort, the Carthay Circle Restaurant and Lounge. Guests may stroll around a Buena Vista Street “downtown” featuring vintage architecture and a dozen shops and restaurants.

Buena Vista Street Landmarks

* The new entry turnstiles of DCA are inspired by the Pan-Pacific Auditorium. The Pan-Pacific was designed by architect Welton Becket. Disney is said to have consulted his friend Becket when he was planning Disneyland in the 1950s. Becket told Walt he already had all the talent he needed at the Disney Studios. That talent was the creative team that became Walt Disney Imagineering.
    * Entering the turnstiles, guests find themselves in Buena Vista Plaza, a town square with a flag pole, a stop for the Red Car Trolley, and Oswald’s gas station. Passing through the town square, guests walk under Hyperion Bridge(the Disneyland Resort Monorail track), modeled on the concrete Glendale-Hyperion Avenue bridge near Walt Disney’s early Hyperion Animation Studios.
    * Past Hyperion Bridge and into the central entry plaza, which leads into the eight themed lands of Disney California Adventure, guests will find Carthay Circle Theatre, inspired by the motion picture palace where “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” premiered in 1937. It’s the home of the Carthay Circle Restaurant and Lounge.
    * The Carthay Circle Theatre stands 89 feet 6 inches to the top of the cupola spire. It is approximately a ¾ scale to the original Carthay Circle Theatre building. In comparison, Sleeping Beauty Castle stands 77-feet high, with a design that makes it appear taller through forced perspective.
    * The central plaza is also home to “Storytellers,” a statue of Walt Disney with Mickey Mouse. Placed at street level and less monumental than the “Partners” statue in Disneyland, “Storytellers” depicts Walt Disney as a humble, optimistic young man, dreaming of achievements to come, standing alongside Mickey Mouse.

A New Attraction – Red Car Trolley

* Inspired by, and lovingly modeled on the historic Pacific Electric Railway system which operated in Southern California from 1901 through 1961, the Red Car Trolley runs through Buena Vista Street and into Hollywood Land, making multiple stops until it arrives at the Hollywood Tower Hotel, aka The Twilight Zone™ Tower of Terror.
    * The red cars of the Red Car Trolley are modeled on two Pacific Electric Railway designs, representing different eras of the system’s history. The attraction evokes the original Red Car line with large windows all the way around the cars, a distinctive single headlight in the center of the front panel, and even overhead “catenary” electrical lines (all part of the show).
    * The Red Car Trolley makes four stops. Trolley car conductors, in uniforms evoking the ’20s time period, call the stops, toot the trolley whistle and entertain guests with historical tales of Buena Vista Street.

Shopping On Buena Vista Street

* Oswald’s stands in Buena Vista Plaza, just inside the Disney California Adventure turnstiles. The name might have prompted a young Walt Disney to name his early cartoon success, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. Oswald’s is actually a shop selling sundry “road trip” vacation necessities: travel mugs, sunscreen, hats and more.
    * On the east side of the central plaza is Los Feliz Five & Dime, themed to a vintage five-and-dime or variety store. The Los Feliz area of Los Angeles is near the site where Walt Disney’s Hyperion studios were built (it's also the neighborhood/area of the church where I got married - R). Los Feliz Five & Dime offers t-shirts, fleece, hats, figurines, souvenirs and more.
    * Big Top Toys features innovative and interactive toys, games and plush inspired by such Disney characters as Tinker Bell, Disney Princesses, Phineas & Ferb and Duffy the Bear. The shop is a nod to the Disney animated film “Dumbo,” which provides much of the inspiration and the background music.
    * Elias & Co. is the largest shopping location on Buena Vista Street and pays tribute to the opulent art deco style department stores of yesteryear, selling apparel, watches, handbags, accessories and more. The Canadian-born Elias Disney was Walt Disney’s father, and Elias was Walt Disney’s middle name.
    * Kingswell Camera Shop, on the west side of Buena Vista Plaza, is headquarters for Disney’s PhotoPass, where guests can pick up their photos taken by Disney’s roving photographers. The shop also sells memory cards, cameras, film, batteries, frames and photo albums. Kingswell Avenue was the site of an early Disney animation studio.
    * Julius Katz & Sons carries a variety of home décor and seasonal merchandise including kitchen gadgets, dinnerware, hand towels and aprons. “Julius Katz” was inspired by Julius the Cat, an animated cat who joined the live-action Alice in Disney’s silent “Alice in Cartoonland” shorts of the 1920s.
    * Atwater Ink & Paint is a Hollywood-style market house selling coffee, tea and other delectable treats to enjoy or take home. The name refers to the Atwater Village district of Los Angeles, a regular haunt of animators in the early days of the Disney Studio.
    * Trolley Treats offers packaged candy as well as signature items from the Disney candy kitchen: hand-pulled taffy, gourmet marshmallows, caramel apples, toffee, dipped strawberries and more. Some are made on the spot by Disney candy makers. Another treat is in the window – a display of Rock Candy Mountain, an attraction designed for Disneyland park but never built.

Dining Along Buena Vista Street

Upstairs at Carthay Circle Theatre is the Carthay Circle Restaurant, one of the premiere dining locations at the Disneyland Resort, with a menu of hors d’oeuvres, salads, soups, California specialty entrees and desserts. Downstairs is the Carthay Circle Lounge, which serves appetizers, wine, craft beer and specialty drinks.

* Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Café is a diner-style, quick-service restaurant serving soups, salads, sandwiches and beverages, including Starbucks coffee. Guests enjoy a pleasant view of Carthay Circle from the picture window. The café name references the names of the Three Little Pigs in the award-winning Silly Symphonies cartoon.
    * Clarabelle’s Hand-Scooped Ice Cream is a soda fountain and ice cream shop whose name might have inspired the name of one of Mickey Mouse’s friends, Clarabelle Cow.
    * Mortimer’s Market offers whole and cut fruits, bottled water, juices and soft drinks. (Mortimer is the name Walt Disney originally gave his new creation in 1928; he later changed it to Mickey.)

Entertainment on Buena Vista Street

”The Red Car News Boys” roll into town on shiny Red Car Trolleys, singing “California, Here I Come!” and other fun tunes from the 1920s and ’30s. The News Boys also deliver the latest “headlines,” in the Buena Vista Daily Bugle.

* The citizens of Buena Vista Street – a cast of L.A./Hollywood “characters” out of the 1920s and ’30s – interact with guests, creating impromptu laughs, smiles and memories.
    * The musical group Five & Dime adds all that jazz to Carthay Circle “On the Sunny Side of the Street.” This ensemble of friends and relations, led by a vivacious singer named Dime, has travelled Route 66 all the way from Chicago in hopes of making it big. Like everyone who comes to Buena Vista Street, great things await them just around the corner.

Found a pic of Merida with the three bear cubs from "Brave" at their meet:

And it is over by IASW like I mentioned earlier, with long lines to meet her right now:

Now we can see how all that prop stuff fits together (from what I showed photos of earlier).

There's a new Ghiradelli's in DCA, opened for business already (and yep, someone has a basket of little chocolate samples like in the Orlando DTD location):

Inside Ghiradelli's are murals on the walls depicting San Francisco (where Ghiradelli's basically originated). I don't have photos, but you can see some if you go to disneylandnewstoday.com and click on the Ghiradelli's report.

Cove Bar, near Ariel's Grotto, at DCA:

It apparently just re-opened from a refurbishment, and I honestly don't remember ever seeing it before as I walked past that area. There is a sign that says you can get World Of Color (reserved standing area) through Cove Bar by adding $10 cover charge to your bill there (per person). That's one way, then. There's also the picnic meal you can order (I don't know how, since we're not doing it), the lunch/dinner packages at Wine Country Trattoria, and the dinner package (not sure if lunch is applicable) at Ariel's Grotto. Or you can go get Fastpasses near the Grizzly River Rapids ride, I think. So far I've only seen WoC once, and it was through a dinner package at Ariel's Grotto back when I went with my sis and two of her friends two Decembers ago (one day, both parks, all day long - saw a 10 pm WoC show before we left for home).

I have shown lots of Cars Land photos already, but here are some pics now from while you're ON the RSR ride:

Doc Hudson, inside, talks you through a tire change. I hope he sounds like Paul Newman, RIP.

Red waters his plants through some projected image:

It goes by Lizzie at the Curio shop:

Fillmore and Sarge at Flo's V8 Cafe:

And through Taillight Caverns:

It looks pretty cool. No wonder it took so long.