Thread: Can you bring a double stroller on the plane?

Can you bring a double stroller on the plane?

I am travelling with a 6yo and 8yo - both weigh less than 50 pounds and fit in a double jogger. I am trying to decide if I should bring my double jogger or rent one from Kindom Strollers. Does anyone know if I can bring a double jogger on the plane? Would it cost extra to bring it or can I bring it to the gate? Thanks!

double fisting mickey ice cream bars and germany pretzels
    I have never gotten an answer on this either. We take an umbrella stroller for the airport and rent from Kingdom Stroller.

Claire
    2012 WL with DH, DS, DS, DM, DF, DSis, DBinlaw, DCousin
    2012 POLY CL and BWV with DH, DS, DS, FIL, MIL
    2010 BLT with DH, DS, FIL, MIL
    2009 Dolphin with DH
    2007 Offsite - Sister's Bachelorette Party

We have taken our bob double 3 times... the airline checks it at the ramp to the plane. then when you get off its waiting by the door of the plane. Its perfect for the airport you can push and steer with one hand and it keeps all the kids in one place.

I guess it might depend on the airline but I checked it at the ramp to the plane too. I had no problem. They even gave me a plastic bag to cover it.

You should be able to bring it with you.

We used to be able to gate check our double stroller, but I know in the past year or two they have restricted the WEIGHT of gate checked strollers. We now check our stroller as luggage. The good news is that virtually all airlines let you check kids essentials like strollers and car seats FREE. Check your airline's web site.

yep, you can gate-check it.
    Brandi

We brought out City Series double a few weeks ago. Didn't gate check it as we didn't want the hassle of it in the airports. We checked it. They said it would count as luggage when I phoned but they did check it free of charge both going and returning. We've only ever used it for Disney really so we kept the box it came in and we pack it in the box for checking it when flying. I'm not sure I'd trust it going in a bag as I'd think something would end up getting broken in transit.

Joanne
    Joanne (Our cast: me DH DS11 DD8 DS6)

August 2006 - ASMo (7 days); March 2007 - ASMo (5 days); July 2008 - POR and Dolphin (14 days); February 2009 - Poly and Swan (10 days); August 2010 - DD's Wish Trip! Grand Floridian (11 days); May 2012 Wyndham Bonnet Creek (9 days); March 2014 - US/BC (10 days); August 2017 - US/Dolphin (16 days)

When we were returning on our flight last week, I had a clear shot of the luggage guys throwing the gate checked strollers/bags over the railing onto the conveyor. Just be aware that they don't necessarily treat them any better when you gate check them than if you checked it with your luggage.

Thank you. I called SW and they said there is no charge and we can bring it to the gate. Any concern that it would get stolen at one of the parks?

Quote Originally Posted by casperjj View Post
    I'm not sure I'd trust it going in a bag as I'd think something would end up getting broken in transit.
    We've brought strollers on dozens of flights, with no major damage. They're built pretty tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie2003 View Post
    When we were returning on our flight last week, I had a clear shot of the luggage guys throwing the gate checked strollers/bags over the railing onto the conveyor. Just be aware that they don't necessarily treat them any better when you gate check them than if you checked it with your luggage.
    Exactly right. Gate checked bags go into the same luggage area. They just get loaded last and tagged differently, so they can quickly pull it out at the destination.
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoa View Post
    Any concern that it would get stolen at one of the parks?
    Very little. Disney guests are pretty honest. We've had over 100 days in the parks, and never had a problem. Just make sure to park it in a designated stroller area, or a CM will move it to one. If they do, you'll come out and think someone stole it. :)

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    I'm trying to think if I've ever heard about a stroller being stolen in the parks, and I don't think I have. Seems like after all these years of reading Disney forums, I would have seen it happen. I've definitely heard about things being stolen from strollers (still very rare!), but not the stroller itself being taken.

Quote Originally Posted by cocoa View Post
    Any concern that it would get stolen at one of the parks?
    I doubt it. We left ponchos in our stroller that weren't stolen when it started raining while we were at some attractions. Not to say it's impossible, but not probable. Also CMs hang around by the stollers, moving them to accomodate more and what not, so people probably wouldn't be shopping around for one to steal.
    Brandi

I would be concerned getting through security. The double won't fit through the x-ray machine and will have to be screened seperately. Could be a hassle and take extra time if that is a concern for you.

We just got back and took a double stroller on the plane. We gate checked it with no problem, and there is never a problem getting it thru security. They wipe it down and test it, but it never takes more than a couple of extra minutes. By the time I got the stroller thru security, everyone else had just got their shoes put back on!

tests unsafe roller coasts in china blyday's Avatar
    I clean ATMs at 2 major airports and see people taking in double strollers all of the time. As Steph mentioned, they do put them through a different process but it isn't that time consuming. I'd probably add an addition 5 minutes to my time and then if it takes that long (which is shouldn't) you'll be fine since you budgeted for it.
    Brenda