Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay Days Morning at MK w/(2) 5 year olds?

Gay Days Morning at MK w/(2) 5 year olds?

Anyone been to a Gay Days at MK on the Saturday of Gay Days. That Saturday (6/2) is the only day that I could get an 8:10 a.m. BBB and then lunch at CRT which is at 11:50

My plan is to do BBB, tour fantasyland leisurely and meet any characters there. If time we might do Buzz and Carousel of Progress in Tomorrowland before lunch.

Just curious if we should be okay with (2) 5 year old girls. I don't have any problem with Gay Days, and I knew it was going on when I booked the BBB appts. and CRT ADR, but I've read a few articles on other sites that are now making me a bit nervous about what type of behavior we might encounter.

Will be make it through lunch without exposing the children to overly sexualized selacious behavior?

We have hoppers so I am considering using this evening for Illuminations at Epcot.
    Oct. 07 All Star Sports
    Oct. 08 Gaylord Palms
    Apr. 09 CR
    Oct. 09 Poly
    May 10 CR MK View
    July 10 Beach Club
    Oct. 10 Poly
    Mar 11 Beach Club
    June 12 Grand Floridian
    Aug. 12 Yacht Clug
    ** Upcoming April 2013 - Grand Floridian

See our March 2011 WDW Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpjlGPQ_CQ4/
    See our May 2010 WDW Celebration Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInxvg3qjh4

We were there last year with 12 of us (grandparents, kids and grandkids) and we did not have any problems. The people there for Gay Days usually do not get to the parks before 11 or noon. The ones who come earlier are there with their kids and blend in with everyone else. We did not notice much effect on the crowds.

Thanks. I am guessing and hoping that those who are there to party and act crazy will not be making rope drops.
    Oct. 07 All Star Sports
    Oct. 08 Gaylord Palms
    Apr. 09 CR
    Oct. 09 Poly
    May 10 CR MK View
    July 10 Beach Club
    Oct. 10 Poly
    Mar 11 Beach Club
    June 12 Grand Floridian
    Aug. 12 Yacht Clug

See our March 2011 WDW Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpjlGPQ_CQ4/
    See our May 2010 WDW Celebration Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInxvg3qjh4

I'd like to think this post is a joke but I'm guessing it's not. If it is a joke, then my response is - "Yep, all kinds of gay sexual relations happen on the table tops during lunch."

If it's not a joke....
    Gay people/gay couples are no different than straight ones. So...could some of them kiss/hold hands/make out in public? Sure. Just like straight people do in the parks. Personally, I don't want to see anyone - gay, straight, otherwise making out. But you never know what you could encounter in the parks with anyone. Will there suddenly be high concentrations of this because it's gay days....highly doubtful.

I've never been to WDW during Gay Days but I have at Disneyland and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary except for a lot of people wearing red.

There are gay people in the parks EVERY single day.
    ~ Jill

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaPond View Post
    I'd like to think this post is a joke but I'm guessing it's not. If it is a joke, then my response is - "Yep, all kinds of gay sexual relations happen on the table tops during lunch."

If it's not a joke....
    Gay people/gay couples are no different than straight ones. So...could some of them kiss/hold hands/make out in public? Sure. Just like straight people do in the parks. Personally, I don't want to see anyone - gay, straight, otherwise making out. But you never know what you could encounter in the parks with anyone. Will there suddenly be high concentrations of this because it's gay days....highly doubtful.

I've never been to WDW during Gay Days but I have at Disneyland and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary except for a lot of people wearing red.

There are gay people in the parks EVERY single day.
    It wasn't a joke, nor do I have any problem with people of any sexual orientation being in the parks, holding hands, hugging, a kiss picture in front of the castle, etc. I was referring to an article written by a gay man on the Disunplugged about why he would not be going to Gay Days this year. I have posted a link to his article for your review. Before you flame me please read it. http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-gay-days.htm. If I had a problem with people's sexual orientation, I would not vacation at Disney World, nor would I have booked my appts. on a day that I knew Gay Days was happening. I didn't have a problem with it and I don't have a problem with it. The Dis article makes it sound as if it could be more selacious than a large group of gay people attending the park that day in red shirts.
    Oct. 07 All Star Sports
    Oct. 08 Gaylord Palms
    Apr. 09 CR
    Oct. 09 Poly
    May 10 CR MK View
    July 10 Beach Club
    Oct. 10 Poly
    Mar 11 Beach Club
    June 12 Grand Floridian
    Aug. 12 Yacht Clug

Quote Originally Posted by graceesmom View Post
    It wasn't a joke, nor do I have any problem with people of any sexual orientation being in the parks, holding hands, hugging, a kiss picture in front of the castle, etc. I was referring to an article written by a gay man on the Disunplugged about why he would not be going to Gay Days this year. I have posted a link to his article for your review. Before you flame me please read it. http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-gay-days.htm. If I had a problem with people's sexual orientation, I would not vacation at Disney World, nor would I have booked my appts. on a day that I knew Gay Days was happening. I didn't have a problem with it and I don't have a problem with it. The Dis article makes it sound as if it could be more selacious than a large group of gay people attending the park that day in red shirts.
    I'm glad I misinterpreted your original post and that you don't have a problem with gay people. And since I've only been to Disneyland during Gay Days I can't directly comment on WDW.

But I'm sorry, but I am not going to read that link. All I needed to see is that it was written by Pete Werner. Let's just say I have strong opinions on that guy and don't care to read his rants. Personally, I'd take his postings with a grain of salt.

Also, I'd probably worry more about drunks at Epcot during any time of the year than the things that happen during gay days in the parks. We definitely encountered a lot of crazy behavior at Epcot on our trip.
    ~ Jill

tests unsafe roller coasts in china blyday's Avatar
    I did read that article and in all honesty.....it sounds to me like someone who is a little "Overly" opinionated. I've read many peoples' reports on Gay Days at WDW but have only experienced them in person at DLR. Everything that I've heard comes back to say that generally speaking, you will see worse things amongst heterosexuals then those who are there for gay days. Will there be a few who think that it is appropriate to show over the top PDA....sure but you will find just as many heteros doing the same thing (if not more.) I'm personally against PDA.....I even squirm when the Photopass photographer suggest that we smooch for a picture. I just don't like that stuff. Holding hands, putting an arm around each other, etc is fine. But that guy standing in front of me who can't keep his hand off of that girls bottom......ugggg!!!

Ultimately, I think that you are going to be fine. As mentioned, most of the group do not arrive until 11 AM or so and those who arrive earlier are usually with families and I'm sure feel the same way as you do about their child being exposed to inappropriate levels of PDA. If you are really worried about it, then go ahead and change your dates....but I wouldn't. In fact, we will be in HS on Gay Days and I have no intention of changing my plans. And we might very well be in MK on the day in question (that is if DH doesn't want more SWW time.)
    Brenda

I wouldn't worry about it, based on what you've posted. Will you see gay and lesbian couples holding hands and some kissing? Yep. Will you see that if there are straight teenagers in the park? Yep.

I think where the issue comes in is that those who are likely to be offended by gay and lesbian couples in general are going to be far more likely to notice any PDA, even minor PDA, and react to it in an extreme way - when they likely wouldn't even pay attention to the same behavior from a straight couple. I have an issue with much of what he's discussing in that article, as there seems to be an indication that he thinks gay and lesbian couples shouldn't show any public affection, especially during this kind of event, because it sends the wrong message. Do some flaunt it? Probably - but, again, so do many other people. I tend to think if you're going to be a flaunter, it really doesn't matter what your sexual orientation is.
    Lisa

tests unsafe roller coasts in china blyday's Avatar
    I tend to think if you're going to be a flaunter, it really doesn't matter what your sexual orientation is.
    Truer words were never said!!!!
    Brenda

We went last year to MK on Gay Day and I was prepared to explain to my boys (2 months shy of 5 & 7) at the time if needed but it did not come into question. We did see some PDA but it was never overboard and my boys never noticed or didn't care to comment/question. I don't think it's anything you should worry about at all!
    2008: offsite, 2009: Pop Century, 2010: Movies, 2011: Movies, 2012: Pop Century, 2013: Pop Century, 2014: Pop Century,
    2015: AKV-Kidani, 2016: Pop Century, 2017: Pop Century, 2018: Pop Century, 2019: Old Key West

he's right
    The Dis article makes it sound as if it could be more selacious than a large group of gay people attending the park that day in red shirts.
    I've read that article. I haven't been in early June before, but I've spoken to many people who have personally attended the parks during that time. I don't know what hallucinogens Pete was on (or what axe he has to grind) but what he writes is so unlike what people have personally experienced that I would not waste another moment thinking about it.

I was prepared to explain to my boys
    Maybe I'm unusual, but it seems to me that we are getting to a point where the fact that gay people exist is right up there in "surprise factor" with the fact that the sun rises to the east and sets to the west. I wouldn't think to explain it to my kids, because it's just part of the fabric of life. They each have several classmates who live in same-sex households, and they grew up close friends with one such family just down the street. We have other family members and close family friends who are in committed same-sex relationships. Because this is the world my kids have grown up in, this is just another kind of family, not much different than any other.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    I've read that article. I haven't been in early June before, but I've spoken to many people who have personally attended the parks during that time. I don't know what hallucinogens Pete was on (or what axe he has to grind) but what he writes is so unlike what people have personally experienced that I would not waste another moment thinking about it.

Maybe I'm unusual, but it seems to me that we are getting to a point where the fact that gay people exist is right up there in "surprise factor" with the fact that the sun rises to the east and sets to the west. I wouldn't think to explain it to my kids, because it's just part of the fabric of life. They each have several classmates who live in same-sex households, and they grew up close friends with one such family just down the street. We have other family members and close family friends who are in committed same-sex relationships. Because this is the world my kids have grown up in, this is just another kind of family, not much different than any other.
    I completely agree with the above. I remember finding out my uncle was gay when I was around 11 or 12 (early 90's) and it was just kind of like "oh, okay." And that was that. And I imagine that now, 20 years later, kids are even more accepting and less 'shocked.'
    ~ Jill

Thank you Brian.

he's right
    I imagine that now, 20 years later, kids are even more accepting
    Pretty much every survey I've ever seen says exactly this---there is a strong generational gradient on attitudes about same-sex relationships. The Times had an article just yesterday exploring a similar trend around interracial relationships:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/16/us...-marriage.html

Peanut butter is yummy.
    Pretty much every survey I've ever seen says exactly this---there is a strong generational gradient on attitudes about same-sex relationships.
    And that's a very good thing.

Let me start by saying that I have several gay friends, a sister-in-law that is a lesbian and have no problem with gay people whatsoever. None. Some of my favorite people are gay :-) I don't even like classifying people by their sexual orientation!

I have been to WDW during Gay Days...just last year. We were in MK on the day it was the designated gay day park. I agree with everything above but the one thing I don't think has been mentioned was that there were a lot of, well, I'll use the word inappropriate, shirts there that day. Now, will that affect your 5 year olds? Probably not in the slightest! It didn't bother me, I was just a little surprised Disney allowed that type of attire in the parks, but I would have been surprised if they allowed ANYONE to wear things like that in the parks. The one shirt that comes to mind read "I screw, I nut, I bolt." I actually laughed at the shirt, but I have read trip reports of others who were less than amused by it (and other saying type shirts that day). The only other thing was that there was some outright flamboyant characters there that day. Grown men wearing Tinkerbell costumes, complete with fairy wings. Again, I would have thought straight people wearing these clothes was flamboyant also but there's nothing wrong with being your own person, right?!

All in all, as long as you are aware it's that day, I do not think it will impact your vacation one single bit

Quote Originally Posted by off2neverland View Post
    And that's a very good thing.

does anybody know how to change this? pfalcioni's Avatar
    Grown men wearing Tinkerbell costumes, complete with fairy wings.
    I didn't think Disney allowed adults to wear costumes in the parks unless it was during a special event like the Haloween parties?

In regards to the shirts - we saw a few PG-rated slogans on shirts there last week, worn by apparently straight guys and gals. Not to mention some of the way-too-tight apparel selections by some ladies. I used to think Disney really enforced their clothing policies, but I don't believe they do any longer.

Peanut butter is yummy.
    I didn't think Disney allowed adults to wear costumes in the parks unless it was during a special event like the Haloween parties?
    That's what I was thinking as well. Wondered if he carried it in and changed while there??

TBH- I'd rather see a grown man in a fairy costume than some of the guests who apparently don't look into a mirror (rear view mostly) before they head to parks.
    At least the fairy would make me laugh, some of the others make me gag.

also, to quote the wdwinfo article mentioned, I wouldn't mind seeing "muscle boys" in the parks!
    Brandi

That's what I was thinking as well. Wondered if he carried it in and changed while there??

TBH- I'd rather see a grown man in a fairy costume than some of the guests who apparently don't look into a mirror (rear view mostly) before they head to parks.
    When we were there earlier this month....we had an ongoing contest to see who could spot the shortest shorts. And I have to admit...I snapped a quick photo of the winner while in line behind her...haha.
    ~ Jill

I went and checked to make sure first, the referenced article has appeared on the Dis for several years now, the exact same one he just changes the dates. We have been to Disney over Gay Days three times, one of them being last year when we were in the Magic Kingdom on Saturday and we have not seen anything that would keep us from going back again. Yes, there are some inappropriate t-shirts (the humor would probably go over the head of any child) and there were some guys in fairy wings, but that was about it. If you get there early, do your thing and leave after lunch you should be fine crowd wise.

Totally agree - I saw a woman who was very large (and this is a coming from a decidedly Pooh-shaped person) wearing white spandex pants with a waist-length shirt. I'd really like to un-see that.
    Lisa

Peanut butter is yummy.
    Quote Originally Posted by lisapennie View Post
    I'd really like to un-see that.
    I hear ya.

he's right