Thread: Looking for a splurge

he's right

Looking for a splurge

I'm looking to splurge on something on our next trip; it is just my daughter and I. She agreed to an early morning flight vs. coming down the night before to save $$$ and I told her that we'd use some of that for an "extra" or two.

Unfortunately, the #1 thing I've wanted to do is the Steam Train tour, which is not operating while the train is down.

So, I'm trying to think about what might replace it. I've thought about:

* A different tour (Backstage Magic, Keys to the Kingdom, or the Aqua Tour at Living Seas)
    * After Hours at either MK or AK
    * Early Morning Magic in MK
    * A splurge meal

What else should I be thinking about? We are willing to do something unusual, and I think that might be more fun than doing "more theme park." For example, one year my son and I took a golf lesson, and that was great fun; much better than I'd expected!

Edited to add: Kayaking at Ft. Wilderness looks like it could be fun!

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    KTTK tour was a lot of fun and relatively reasonably priced considering its length. I didn't learn a whole lot of new information but seeing the Utilidors was fun.

California Grill Sunday Brunch is a fun meal experience.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

How old is your daughter?
    Nov 2019-W&D 10K (Pop); Aug 2019-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Feb 2019-Festival of the Arts (POFQ); Nov 2018-40th Birthday Trip (Pop); Aug 2018-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil), Nov 2017-Wine & Dine 5K (Pop), Aug 2017-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); May 2017-Tinkerbell 10K (Disneyland); Novr 2016-Wine & Dine 10K (POFQ); Aug 2016-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Nov 2015-1st Solo Trip (All-Star Movies); Aug 2015-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Aug 2014-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil)

that's a shame
    Wild Africa Trek

This looks good, too:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/ev...vening-safari/
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post

Edited to add: Kayaking at Ft. Wilderness looks like it could be fun!
    You've just given me an idea for our upcoming trip! :-)

Does anyone know if children can do this as the details state 'Guests must be 18 or over to rent a kayak and present a valid Resort ID and a valid driver's license, state-issued ID or Military ID.' Do you think that means children can sill go ibn the canoe or Kayak as long as someone over 18 is present?
    Aug 1987 (ish) - WDW with parents and brother
    Dec 2006 - WDW with DH
    Dec 2007 - WDW with DH and bump!
    Oct 2011 - WDW with DH, DD and DD
    Dec 2013 - WDW with DH, DD and DD
    Dec 2015 - WDW with DH, DD, DD and BIL
    Dec 2017 - WDW with DH, DD, DD and BIL
    Dec 2019 - WDW with DH, DD, DD and BIL (I see a pattern emerging)!!

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Backstage Magic is fascinating, especially for park nerds like us. It's expensive, but includes lunch and park admission is not required. And they take you to the Utilidors also.

For a meal, you might want to try the new Topolino's Terrace atop the new Riviera Resort, especially around IllumiNations (or whatever it's called) time.

We enjoyed the CA Grill brunch, but now that it's over $100 per person, it's not as easy to recommend, especially if you're not planning on imbibing.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

The Void at Disney Springs would be a cool splurge, depending on her interests.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
    We REALLY enjoyed this when we did it a couple of years ago. Not sure if it's still the same Star Wars theme or if they swapped out for a different thing, but it was totally immersive and the real splurge would be to book it twice back-to-back (ish). There's so much to see and feel and experience and the time goes by very quickly.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    We REALLY enjoyed this when we did it a couple of years ago. Not sure if it's still the same Star Wars theme or if they swapped out for a different thing, but it was totally immersive and the real splurge would be to book it twice back-to-back (ish). There's so much to see and feel and experience and the time goes by very quickly.
    The star wars one is the same, we just did it for the second time this year. Its really cool though. They did add a Wreck it Ralph one, but only on certain nights during the week so make sure to check if you want to do that.

A spa day might be good for a girls afternoon as well.
    Cindy

Of the park-based items on your list I'd rank them:
    1. Wild Africa Trek (I've done it 3 times I like it that much and it was good every single time).
    2. Keys to the Kingdom
    3. Undiscovered Future world (maybe world showcase tour but I haven't personally done that one).
    4. Backstage Magic

I've done both keys and backstage magic but preferred keys. I don't know if it was just a one off, but my guide on backstage magic wasn't as good (we also had some strong personalities in the other guests). After the tour we just felt like it was a lot of extra time without a lot more information/value compared to Keys.

5. After Hours at Magic Kingdom
    6. EMM MK
    7. After Hours AK (this one I haven't done personally, but there is just isn't as much line time you'd save here unless your goal is to get as many rides as possible on FoP)
    8. Splurge meal I'd put last on list if just doing one splurge. Of the meals I'd rank them:

A. Victoria and Albert's. It''s real world good, but because it's Disney it's very approachable.
    B. California Grill. I'd do dinner and fireworks over the brunch. But they are both great options. The sunny daytime view of the park is pretty spectacular too.
    C. Monorail crawl, but not the official one. I've done the highway in the sky and don't feel the value is there, doubly so if not drinking.
    D. Flying Fish. Higher quality food compared to most of the other signatures coupled with evening boardwalk/epcot experience. Monsieur Paul if wanting to stay in the park. Or maybe Takumi Tei but I haven't tried that one yet.

Of the hybrid meal/tour options:

Wanyama safari. The safari was fun. And I love Jiko. But the meal served at Jiko for the safari was not the same high standard in quality food. And it was family style which I absolutely hate when dining with people I don't know. I enjoyed the lunch at Sannaa with an animal keeper more than Wanyama (although it's not totally an equal comparison). Dining with an Imagineer at Brown Derby was interesting, but lower on my list. It is so very dependent on the Imagineer you get and also the other people in your group. I'm sure my impression was largely clouded by the one person in the group who dominated the conversation. The Imagineer had good people skills and deftly redirected the conversation frequently but it got a little tedious.

My husband says don't do the Bass fishing tour. Definitely NOT worth it. We have much better fishing at home.

You didn't say when your trip is. So if it's around the MVMCP might be an option.
    Living The Dream

he's right
    More info: Daughter is 21. She has a drink now and again, but I don’t. We are going in early March. Thanks averyone!

If you like Animals, the Wanyama Safari tour at AKL is excellent. You spend about 1-1 1/2 hours touring the savannah in a small truck (15 guests max), then a family style dinner at Jilo, including wine.

My votes
    #1 3 part option all at AK, Savor the Savannah, Circle of Life Harambe dinner (forgetting the exact name) but it's only offered on Wednesdays. or the Lion King Tier 1 Dinner Package at Tiffins. I'm having a hard time picking which of these three are my favorite. I've done all multiple times, and have all 3 booked for our trip next month, and again in Jan for a girls trip.
    #2 After Hours at MK
    #3 Backstage Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
    Yes. This is fun for anybody, even people who aren't StarWars nerds. Immersive is an understatement.

A splurge that I'd LOVE to try is AK's Circle of Flavors: Harambe at Night. Definitely worth the expense IMO.
    Select nights 6-9pm, Check-in: Train Station at Harambe, Adults: $125

Looks like you can book any Wed in March :D
    https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/di...ambe-at-night/
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol

he's right
    That one did look interesting, but I'm trying to decide if it is worth $125 given that I no longer drink. I thought Savor the Savannah might be a better choice, but am on the fence.

Savor the Savannah looks awesome too, a very unique experience to see these animals that close.

Guess it comes down to animals or food. Good food can be found many places, these animals not so much.
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    That one did look interesting, but I'm trying to decide if it is worth $125 given that I no longer drink. I thought Savor the Savannah might be a better choice, but am on the fence.
    Circle of Life has some great non-alcoholic drinks too. The food was great at each stop. A fun party at the end, live music along the way. I love Savor a whole lot too but for the overall experience, Circle was the better event.

One thing that looked pretty cool was the amphicar tours at Disney Springs. Don't know if you're into boats or not. Also, you can rent boats too.
    Living The Dream

Quote Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
    Circle of Life has some great non-alcoholic drinks too. The food was great at each stop. A fun party at the end, live music along the way. I love Savor a whole lot too but for the overall experience, Circle was the better event.
    Thanks! That's a helpful comparison. We've been considering both of these too, haven't done either.