Thread: Summer Touring 2020 Thoughts

Summer Touring 2020 Thoughts

We have a trip planned for July 10-14 2020 and this will be my first summer trip to Disney since I was a teenager (that was a LONG time ago). The party will be all adults and we've traveled in January, February, May and November in the past. We've previously been rope drop travelers, but I'm finding it more difficult to get everyone out of bed in the mornings. We certainly won't be able to stay until park close at midnight or whenever and then get up for rope drop the next day, so my thinking is that we'll sleep in, spend the early part of the day at the resort pool, then grab an early dinner somewhere and hit the parks, staying until they close. Hopefully we'll avoid some of the worst heat this way and still get to do the majority of rides. We'll want to hit the major rides using FP+ and then do some standby. If any after-hours events are offered we'll probably do those.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with this approach? Do the crowds become more manageable after a certain time?

Thanks

The problem with skipping RD these days is park hours just don't go that late anymore, even in the summer. It seems like after about 10 or 10:30 pm lines get shorter. But many nights in the summer MK closes at 10 pm and you never really hit the slow times.

My brother-in-law did night touring with his kids, it worked well with tween/teens who are accustomed to sleeping in.
    Brandi

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    My brother-in-law did night touring with his kids, it worked well with tween/teens who are accustomed to sleeping in.
    I think Anne’s point was that evening touring hours are a lot shorter these days, so lines before closing won’t be as short as they’ve been in the past, and nights won’t be as long.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

We did this in June as I didn't want to deal with dragging a crabby teenager out of bed. I was able to enjoy the resort (Wilderness Lodge) while my daughter slept in. We arrived at the parks at 2pm or later each day. It was typically after the rain and it cooled down quite a bit. In fact, the only day we were miserably hot was on our last day when we went to Magic Kingdom from about 10am-3pm. This schedule went much better than I anticipated, but we go to WDW enough that we don't feel like we need to cram everything in every time we go. I think this schedule would be difficult if you were trying to fit in all or most of the attractions each day. It also helped that we did the Villains After Hours (and evening magic hours at Epcot) and were able to get a lot done then. I love the parks at night and enjoyed getting to stay until closing without worrying about being up for rope drop the next day.

that's a shame
    the rain
    That'd be a definite consideration for me. The summer rain is predictable, but it's not. It's going to happen, but you don't know how long it'll last. That's why we still do mornings.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

How many days do you plan to visit?
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol

We are going during the same timeframe next summer, although it will be a longer trip - probably 10 park days (no hoppers). In my case, it's mostly my DH who doesn't like getting out of bed early. I'm going to try to figure out the minimum number of RD days we need in order to accomplish what we want, and then make the rest of the days late arrival (easier with more days, I know). Mostly right now I'm trying to refrain from trying to plan, because with the opening of RotR (and the fact that it will be the first summer with GE), there are just too many unknowns. (and we have 3 out of 5 major Star Wars fans, so there will definitely be planning around GE).

Quote Originally Posted by smwisc View Post
    We are going during the same timeframe next summer, although it will be a longer trip - probably 10 park days (no hoppers). In my case, it's mostly my DH who doesn't like getting out of bed early. I'm going to try to figure out the minimum number of RD days we need in order to accomplish what we want, and then make the rest of the days late arrival (easier with more days, I know). Mostly right now I'm trying to refrain from trying to plan, because with the opening of RotR (and the fact that it will be the first summer with GE), there are just too many unknowns. (and we have 3 out of 5 major Star Wars fans, so there will definitely be planning around GE).
    We're also planning on a 10 day trip in late July/early August and right now I'm thinking we would do a couple of rope drops early in our vacation and then switching to later arrivals in the second half. We would most likely take advantage of EMH when we do the rope drops which is another reason why I only want to do a couple. As you said, there are so many unknowns it's hard to really plan so far out but that is a rough draft of what we're thinking now.