Thread: Disney After Hours - MK vs AK

Disney After Hours - MK vs AK

We are going to be in Orlando the week of March 22nd (Spring Break). We had not intended to go to Disney, we are doing Universal and a few other smaller parks. I have decided to do one Disney After Hours event but canít decide between MK and AK. We have been to Disney twice, the last time before the new Pandora area at AK. My kids are 12 and 15 and mostly interested in rides. Thoughts? Pros and Cons or each? The MK one gives us longer in the park (get in at 7 and event is 10-1) but we havenít ever seen the Pandora world at AK, so there is that.

he's right
    Are you already maxing out Express Pass at Universal? If not, I would personally do that before adding a 4-6 hour event at Disney for $125pp.

I am personally choosing MK over AK, partly due to schedule but also b/c there's a *lot* more to do in MK than AK. Unless you are going to power-ride FoP or EE, I don't know that DAH there is really all that.

I'm also torn between doing DAH and just enjoying PM EMH instead the next night.

FOP is the best ride. It does take about 20 minutes for each cycle (with the pre-show), so you can only ride it 3 times in an hour when there is no wait. Since you haven't been to Pandora, I would vote for AK.

BNoble - We are maxing our our express pass at Universal, either of these would be a different day than a Universal day.

I am torn given that we havenít been to Pandora, but there are less things to do than at MK. Plus AK is Thursday which is the night before our first Universal day early entry for our first Universal day tough. That said, we do have 3 universal days and 2 with express pass, so not sure we necessarily have to have the both early days. MK is a Monday night which is early in our trip and nothing we have to do before or after.

I would vote for MK for 2 reasons:
    1. More to do
    2. If I only have one WDW park day I want to do classic Disney.

FoP is a great attraction but I wouldn't be up for more than 2-3 rides in 1 night. Everything else available at AK AH is easily done during the day. And you don't actually see the animals.

I’d do AK, I just like the rides better.
    Brandi

Nolarookie - this is what makes it so hard, it is hard for me to compare since we havenít been since Pandora opened. We like EE and Dinosaur but there doesnít look like there is much other than Pandora after that, and since we havenít done those I really canít compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazmom View Post
    Nolarookie - this is what makes it so hard, it is hard for me to compare since we haven’t been since Pandora opened. We like EE and Dinosaur but there doesn’t look like there is much other than Pandora after that, and since we haven’t done those I really can’t compare.
    I think the reason for me is that I would probably just ride BTMRR, Buzz and Space at MK. So even though there are more rides at MK, I wouldn’t necessarily ride them/want to pay extra for an event to ride them.
    Brandi

We did the same trip plan in May -- went to Universal, then did one after hours event to get in our Disney fix. We chose MK because there is so much more to do, and figured we can do Pandora on another visit. Since we had only the one evening, MK worked best for my daughter and I to satisfy our need to have been at Disney. But my son, who likes thrill rides, passed. Do the kids have a preference?

I havenít asked the kids. I am not sure how they would be able to have a real preference given they know nothing about the Pandora rides. Plus, with my luck, one will want MK and the otherAK, just making it harder.

Plus, with my luck, one will want MK and the otherAK, just making it harder.
    Haha, same here! I think the one deliberately waits for the other to express an opinion and then asks for the opposite. They are still bickering over crystal palace vs park fare and we just have 1.5 weeks to decide.

Honestly, if mine had the choice, they would pick Hollywood Studios! That is one of their favorites and we havenít even seen the Star Wars stuff. But there are currently no after hours scheduled for Hollywood studios.

Honestly, if mine had the choice, they would pick Hollywood Studios! That is one of their favorites and we haven’t even seen the Star Wars stuff. But there are currently no after hours scheduled for Hollywood studios.
    Mine too. It has all their favorites.
    Brandi

Honestly, if mine had the choice, they would pick Hollywood Studios! That is one of their favorites and we havenít even seen the Star Wars stuff. But there are currently no after hours scheduled for Hollywood studios.
    I thought for sure that once all the Extra Magic Hours ended, Disney would immediately add EMM and DAH to Hollywood Studios, to monetize Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land. But still nothing, right?

he's right
    I suspect they are waiting to see how RotR works out in daily operation first, but that's a WAG.

so you think there is still a chance they will release HS after hours dates for March?

so you think there is still a chance they will release HS after hours dates for March?
    Definitely! I noticed they updated park hours for the other parks for Dec/Jan but haven't touched HS yet. I think as we get closer to Rise opening they will adjust HS hours. Then decide how long they will do extended hours based on attendance and how popular it proves to be. THEN decide about after hours and EMM events at HS. March is far enough out from the newest ride opening it has a chance for DAH and/or EMM