Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disney+

that's a shame

Disney+

Just curious, and I've googled and seen nothing, but has anyone seen when the app (if that's what it's called on streaming boxes) will be available to install?

I'm picturing a gazillion people downloading it all at the same time on 11/12 and crashing the system. Because Disney IT...
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

he's right
    I am worried about the same thing. On the other hand, ESPN as a streaming platform is pretty solid, and they bought the streaming provider rather than building it (used to be MLB's product).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAMTech

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    I'd feel more confident if there had been a beta testing period. It took a year or more for AT&T's DirecTV Now service to resemble a stable platform. With Disney+ releasing popular series like The Mandalorian on a weekly basis, creating very limited periods of extreme demand over the course of a week, I think they're putting themselves at risk for service issues.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

he's right
    In some sense, ESPN+ was the beta test. I'm reading yesterday's earnings call transcript now, and one interesting bit: ESPN+ has 3.5M subscribers, and the UFC 244 PPV event looked like it drew about 900K simultaneous views. There is also this:

in preparation for the US launch [of D+], we tested the technology in the Netherlands, giving consumers free access to a curated collection of library content, and we've been very pleased with the results, including the technical soundness and reliability of the platform. The user feedback has been extremely positive with praise for the elegance and ease of the interface and the quality of the overall experience. The ability to download the content has also been a big hit, and the brand-centric navigation has generated an elegance and an ease of use that was well received by users.
    The UFC thing is probably not in the same order of magnitude as Mandalorian will be, but the latter isn't a sporting event so there may be some time-shifting, even if by only a few hours, and that will help.

Is it a risk? Yes. But, the roll-out has been aggressive, so they seem to believe that between ESPN+ and the Dutch trial that they are ready for it. Time will tell, but I'm only sort of skeptical.

(I also met someone who works for Disney in LA a few weeks ago; some company employees have had access to the platform for a while now.)

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    Time will tell, but I'm only sort of skeptical.
    I retain a high level of skepticism and will be glad to be proven wrong.

he's right
    I'm not quite through the transcript, and they were a little cagey about it, but it sounds as though D+ subs are definitely not at the scale of Hulu (low 8 figures) and maybe not even E+ (low/mid 7 figures).

As to downloading the app itself, that will be handled through the various app stores, and Disney IT has nothing to do with it.

As for streaming problems, I dunno. I recall HBO had problems a couple years ago with new episodes of GoT. I would assume people at Disney studied that and learned from it. EDIT: Oh, I just noticed there will be a 7 day free trial. Yikes. That's gonna put a lot pressure on the servers. Again though, I assume they are prepared for this.
    Last edited by Alcachofa; 11-08-2019 at 10:08 AM.

I also have been wondering about the downloading of the app itself. I agree with Alcachofa that it will be handled through the various app stores (Google, etc) or device updates (Roku, Xbox etc), so I am less worried about that part of it (they can handle way more downloads/updates than Disney+ will generate). At this time it seems none of them (at least none I own) have pushed out the update yet, and are all waiting until Monday night to push it out. It will also be interesting to see how well it is supported by various "Smart TV" manufacturers, especially on Day 1.

Does anyone have a device where they already see the app?

I have multiple options at least until things get figured out... and at a minimum anyone should be able to watch through a PC until the various apps are pushed out.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

Quote Originally Posted by Alcachofa View Post
    Again though, I assume they are prepared for this.
    Hopefully better than they prepare for the release of Free Dining (website crash/Stitch ate the page) or the opening of runDisney race registration (website crash/virtual queue hanging indefinitely)...

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
    Does anyone have a device where they already see the app?
    I have a Roku TV. Just checked the Channel Store and it's not showing up there.
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

that's a shame
    Nothing on iOS yet.

that's a shame
    12:01 AM Tuesday, the app will be available, though some streaming platforms may be rolling it out earlier (the app, not the content), based upon what I read this morning.

We bought a year then Verizon gave a free year on our unlimited data account. 2 for 1! Very competitively priced... I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Very relieved Bob made that last minute decision to play nice with Amazon Firestick 4K because that's all we use to run our subscriptions.
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol

he's right
    i poked around a little this morning before gearing up to shovel what is reportedly a bit over 9" of snow. A few category searches didn't work, but everything else seemed to be okay. I did not try to stream Mandalorian, b/c I did not want to get sucked into that just yet. The few things I did start were okay. Things were a little sluggish but the stream was fine once it started.

DH watched The Mandalorian this morning while on the bike, 5am eastern. Said it was good but he didnít explore the app any further. With the free week it may not settle for a bit.

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    Had to let my dog out at 1:00 a.m. so I checked to see if it was showing up in the channels yet on my Roku TV. It wasn't there but I found it when I did a search. Added the channel then logged in with no problem. My daughter has a Samsung Smart TV. I couldn't find it in the app store on the TV but did find it for the Xbox One. Had issues with logging in so I'll try it again later.

Side note: I really dislike the Samsung Smart TV. I need to get her a Roku TV like I have.
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

Surprise surprise now it's not working at all.

i was told they would be prepared for this

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    I'm picturing a gazillion people downloading it all at the same time on 11/12 and crashing the system. Because Disney IT...
    Nostradamus! A few years ago, Disney bought a streaming company to prepare for this. Supposedly they have done a good job with ESPN+ and others, though. I, personally, think that offering the ability for a free trial on launch day was a mistake.

My LG smart tv is too old and doesn't have the app. I am trying to use internet feature on the TV and disneyplus won't load. We have Nintendo switch...but app isn't on there yet. We can only watch on computers and iPads. very disappointed. no one wants to watch on a smaller screen instead of the large tv. will probably cancel subscription after trial bc I can't watch on my tv without getting more equipment.
    Cathy
    Trip Report #1 http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...mber-2015-Trip
    Trip Report #2 http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...-Trip-Report-2
    Trip Report #3
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...I-got-this!!!!

WDW~ May 2009, July/August 2010, September 2013, December 2015, February 2017 & September 2018
    DL~ July/August 2016

Quote Originally Posted by RMmom View Post
    My LG smart tv is too old and doesn't have the app. I am trying to use internet feature on the TV and disneyplus won't load. We have Nintendo switch...but app isn't on there yet. We can only watch on computers and iPads. very disappointed. no one wants to watch on a smaller screen instead of the large tv. will probably cancel subscription after trial bc I can't watch on my tv without getting more equipment.
    You can get a Chromecast for $35 (liekly $25 on Black Friday). I consider that a pretty trivial investment for such a versatile device.

he's right
    I must have missed whatever outage there was; it was fine before I shoveled, and fine again when I peaked at it over lunch. We'll see what tonight brings.

that's a shame
    It seems to be working ok so far.

Watched:

Bao
    Pixar in Real Life
    Steamboat Willie

The DD (17) got home from school, we looked at the available shows, she saw Hannah Montana and has taken over my TV. She's looking forward to reliving her Disney Channel years.

My LG smart tv had it no problem. I may have to stay home from work tomorrow
    ~Stacey

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Darling View Post
    My LG smart tv had it no problem. I may have to stay home from work tomorrow
    Jealous...Our tv is older than yours, I guess. I *think* it is from 2013.
    Cathy
    Trip Report #1 http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...mber-2015-Trip
    Trip Report #2 http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...-Trip-Report-2
    Trip Report #3
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...I-got-this!!!!

WDW~ May 2009, July/August 2010, September 2013, December 2015, February 2017 & September 2018
    DL~ July/August 2016