Thread: The New Dining Phone Line Experience Is Awful!

The New Dining Phone Line Experience Is Awful!

Disney wasn't joking when they said the preferred way to book ADRs is online.
    The new phone menu only gives the option to:
    1. cancel a reservation for today
    2. book for a large party
    3. experience that can't be booked online

All else "must be done" on MDE

"due to higher than expected call volume" on Sunday the estimated wait time was "more than 90 minutes"

Did they fire all the phone operators? I'm not sure this phone line is staffed internally by Disney CMs anymore either. At least the person I spoke with had no Disney knowledge and there was a lot of background call-center-type noise very different than my past call experiences. No chit chat about my upcoming trip or plans. Nada.

I got through eventually today because I needed to cancel a reservation that MDE would not let me cancel online. Anything booked with another person as primary, even someone I "manage" (meaning my parents who don't have an MDE account and don't want the hassle of dealing with an MDE account), cannot be cancelled online. There is simply no cancel button like with all my other ADRs. I got the 3rd degree from the operator as to why I didn't cancel online (believe me, I'd rather have clicked a button and not had to wait to talk to you). Then he started to tell me I was going to be charged $10 per person cancellation fee. For a reservation 20 days out. When I reminded him that although I selected the menu option for "cancel a reservation today" this was not actually a reservation for today. He at least apologized.

In future if I have an ADR related issues I think I will call the AP help line phone number.

This is disheartening. Disney service sacrificed in the quest for cost-cutting.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    I just tried to make an ADR online for Topolino's Terrace and got an error message that said something went wrong, and to "try again." I did, and got a message that I already had an ADR for that time period. Sure enough, the confirmed ADR was in My Plans.

Looks like the traditionally wonky WDW website is still predictably wonky.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Guest Relations will be swamped when it takes crazy long phone calls with 'less-than-Disney' call centers to change/cancel some ADRs.
    Imagine getting charged $10pp on an ADR that you tried several times to adjust but never completed due to inconvenient long hold times?
    Most ADRs usually work but plenty still give hiccups to the system. People will get pist.
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I just tried to make an ADR online for Topolino's Terrace and got an error message that said something went wrong, and to "try again." I did, and got a message that I already had an ADR for that time period. Sure enough, the confirmed ADR was in My Plans.

Looks like the traditionally wonky WDW website is still predictably wonky.
    I booked several ADR over the weekend and every last one of them did that. Gave an error message but booked the reservation anyway. I could tell because my email dinged as soon as I clicked OK, so I didn't even go back in and try again.

As for calling, well, I gotta admit I don't. Ever. I've gotten to the point where if it's something I can't book online, I don't book it. I've never had anything I couldn't cancel, thankfully.

Truthfully, if I was booking for someone else who didn't want an MDE account, I'd just make them a fake one, with one of my secondary email addresses and use that. I may be a slight pain to keep up with 2 accounts like that but if it's only for ADR, it's easy really. No need to put tickets or resorts on it, just names of who is dining.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyHeather View Post
    Guest Relations will be swamped when it takes crazy long phone calls with 'less-than-Disney' call centers to change/cancel some ADRs.
    Imagine getting charged $10pp on an ADR that you tried several times to adjust but never completed due to inconvenient long hold times?
    Most ADRs usually work but plenty still give hiccups to the system. People will get pist.
    "Centralized call centers" are not something new. They've been using them pretty much since MDE came about. They are good at pretending to be Disney employees but many of them have never been. It's one of the main reasons that info from phone agents is so very sketchy

Quote Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
    "Centralized call centers" are not something new. They've been using them pretty much since MDE came about. They are good at pretending to be Disney employees but many of them have never been. It's one of the main reasons that info from phone agents is so very sketchy
    Yeah, I've had a mix.
    One time it felt like the agent was punishing me for an ADR re-schedule by reading me the same 5 paragraphs 3 times over :D lol

I think the worst part would be needing to call during a trip. Who wants to possibly need 60 minutes making a call when that means sacrificing an hour of either sleep or being glued to your phone in the park?
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol

Quote Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
    I guess I've always known they were in a call center that was not at WDW, and some have even said they weren't located in Florida, or hadn't been to the parks in years. But other calls it seemed like the person on the phone was at least peripherally a Disney employee and had the basic training in customer service and knew what was going to be asked on the survey at the end of the call and tried to make polite conversation while they waited for the inevitably slow computer system. The call this week felt like I was being transferred to the cable company call center in some other country. Like they were deliberately trying to make the call painful so no one would call and everyone would use MDE online.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I guess I've always known they were in a call center that was not at WDW, and some have even said they weren't located in Florida, or hadn't been to the parks in years. But other calls it seemed like the person on the phone was at least peripherally a Disney employee and had the basic training in customer service and knew what was going to be asked on the survey at the end of the call and tried to make polite conversation while they waited for the inevitably slow computer system. The call this week felt like I was being transferred to the cable company call center in some other country. Like they were deliberately trying to make the call painful so no one would call and everyone would use MDE online.
    I wonder if they hire people to work from home. Because anyone here can likely do a better job than any random “CM” that picks up those phones.

Stupid Judy.

he's right
    Yes, but we all probably have better ways to spend our time than to answer calls for what might not even be minimum wage, with the added pressure of ever-increasing performance targets. I would not wish one of those jobs on anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    Yes, but we all probably have better ways to spend our time than to answer calls for what might not even be minimum wage, with the added pressure of ever-increasing performance targets. I would not wish one of those jobs on anyone.
    That was hypothetical, of course.

Stupid Judy.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    Yes, but we all probably have better ways to spend our time
    EXACTLY - now I need to go respond to a post about how long it should take from the time a plane lands until Magical Express drops them at their resort.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    EXACTLY - now I need to go respond to a post about how long it should take from the time a plane lands until Magical Express drops them at their resort.
    Seventy two minutes and forty eight seconds.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I wonder if they hire people to work from home. Because anyone here can likely do a better job than any random “CM” that picks up those phones.
    Yes, they do hire some home based agents.
    They have a mix, some are Disney emploees
    Some are a big call centers
    Some work from home.

I'd work a 7 hr shift from home 1 day a week for 48 weeks during the year to earn 3 APs for my family and employee discount on resort. Where to apply?

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how to set my user title myself when no one else could!! magic1106's Avatar