Thread: Points question

that's a shame

Points question

I'm looking at August, 2020. BWV studio. Sun-Thu is 18 points for bw and pool/garden views, 14 for standard view.

If I book pool/garden (only room category available for all of my nights) and waitlist for standard, what happens to the points I wound't need if the standard view waitlist becomes available?
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

In most cases, when the waitlist comes through the points will just go back into your account to be used for a future reservation (or banked). We have done this multiple times, and it worked out well to get points back when we got the waitlist.
    (Note, if the points were borrowed to make the reservation in the first place, they would stay borrowed, since borrowing is a final transaction.)

In a few special cases...

If the waitlist comes through late enough that you are unable to actually use them and/or if you are past your banking deadline, you may end up getting stuck where they are not usable for you, and then the Standard View really doesn't help you as you will end up losing the point benefit anyway. So, it matters when your banking deadline is. What is your Use Year? Are these current year points, or banked/borrowed points?

The only other exception to what I said above is if your waitlist comes available within 30 days of the date of the trip, and then the extra points will go into 'holding' making them even more difficult to use going forward. There is a feature when setting up the waitlist that you can automatically have it deactivate so this will not happen.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

that's a shame
    August UY. Current reservation starts on 8/1/20 so it'l be all 2020 points. I'm going to modify the reservation to add a few days, so I'll borrow some 2021 points for that.

It sounds like I should choose the option to cancel the waitlist 31 days prior to check in. That'll keep me from dealing with holding points. Correct?

With an August UY you should have no problem using the points you get back, and they will automatically give you back bankable 2020 points, not the 2021 points you had borrowed.

And, yes I would choose the option to cancel at 31 days prior, since the new reservation is less points than the original one.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
    With an August UY you should have no problem using the points you get back, and they will automatically give you back bankable 2020 points, not the 2021 points you had borrowed.

And, yes I would choose the option to cancel at 31 days prior, since the new reservation is less points than the original one.
    All for nothing. I decided to add days to the reservation (hoping to switch to three nights at Vero Beach at seven months) and every night was available for standard view.