Thread: Extra Extra Magic Hours at Hollywood Studios!

Extra Extra Magic Hours at Hollywood Studios!

I visited WDW for a few days last week and stayed on property so I could do EEMH for HS on Friday, 10/4. I did my best to keep track of timing and wanted to share my experience with you.

I got to the bus stop at ASMovies at 4:50. First one out there. Cast members arriving to work looked at me like I was crazy. Bus did not arrive until 5:12 and by then the line was long enough to more or less fill the bus. Left at 5:15am.

I was nervous it was a late start and that somehow the lines would be crazy to get into HS. Thankfully, not the case.

Arrived to Hollywood Studios by 5:25am. Went through bag check and go to to turnstiles at 5:28am. They only had 2 lines open but as I was walking up they opened a third and shifted some of the crowd over to the left. They did not let us down main street and kept us right at the turnstiles right until 5:45am, which was different than Josh's experiences. Lines at turnstiles at 530am:

I really wanted coffee and thought about going to grab some before 6 when the park opened, but I was right up at the front and didn't want to lose my spot. Maybe 3-4 rows of people in front of me:

There were maybe two dozen people headed to RnR / TOT, the rest of us were headed to SWGE and TSL. I was TSL bound and would say maybe a third of the group headed that way. Right at 6am they made the announcement that the park was open and reminded us all to walk. There was a long line of cast members who paced us through the walk and it was frustrating because people were trying to push forward, walk faster, etc. It was OK being solo but I can't imagine being a family trying to stay together or with a stroller or EVC or something. Excuse my blurry photo, I was attempting to walk and take a pic at the same time which does not work.

I was right by the CMs and was on the very first ride of the day on SDD! It was my first time on it ever and I really liked it. On at 6:08am, off at 6:11am. The posted wait said 20 minutes and I decided to get right back on because I liked it so much! I was back off at 6:20am. Two rides in 12 minutes time. Its so fun, I liked the views of the parks and that it was smooth. I am a SDD believer!

Next I headed to Swirling Saucers and just missed boarding so had to wait for one round to go. Was off the ride by 6:30am.

Next was TSMM! I won in my vehicle which was great! Of course, I was the only one in it. I stopped to take some pictures of the queue and was out by 6:42am.

I was done in TSL and was headed to SWGE! I spent about an hour there. I didn't ride MFSR because I went on at DL and my motion sickness could not handle it. When I arrived to SWGE around 6:50 the wait time was 55 minutes. When I left an hour later, it was 35 minutes. It did stay down lower until the park opened at 9 so I think doing TSL first was the right idea! Plus a shorter miserable walk.

I spent time wandering through all the shops, taking pictures, and having breakfast. The area is so well done and I really enjoyed walking through it all with no real plan. Was it the best use of time? Maybe not. But I was a happy camper getting to enjoy without a million people. The layout is the same as DL but I somehow kept getting turned around. I'll figure it out. I saw someone wearing a small magnet porg on their shoulder and asked where they bought it because I had to have it immediately. They said they had recently bought it at the shop outside of Star Tours so that was on my agenda for the morning!

My breakfast at Docking Bay 7 was really tasty. I had the Bright Suns Morning which has egg bites, sausage, potato hash and a smaller version of the lava roll. I was hungry and devoured it. The place was pretty empty. I highly recommend breakfast here. The cast members here did stay in characters, but others I interacted around the land answered questions like normal people.

I love Porgs <3

From there I left Galaxy's Edge and headed back into TSL. I wanted to show you my view looking left and right when standing in the walkway. Sort of crazy you can see both lands. At DL, you can't really see anything until you are right init. Same with when you enter SWGE from the ST side of the park. I'm a little surprised they didn't do more to make a bigger divider.

I was also surprised they were letting people into SWGE from TSL. I thought you could only enter from the one way! They were handing out maps of the new land so they were expecting people to enter there, just not letting them slip past.

More to come!
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

We were there last week too. I am going to rewrite up a semi trip report. Even later in the day when more crowded they were still letting guests in and out both ways. During very busy weeks that may change, but it does help with hitting Toy Story Land first and then heading into Galaxy's Edge in the morning.
    Jessica

DS (8) and DS (6)

JUNE 1989: Fort Wilderness and Disney Inn
    MAR 1996: Offsite
    NOV 2014 and 2015: Pop Century
    JUNE 2016: Gaylord Palms/Beach
    NOV 2016: CBR
    DEC 2017 and 2018: Pop Century
    June 2019: The Grove
    September 2019: Pop Century

Thanks for the report! Some great pictures in there!

Buzz was finishing meeting and Jessie and Woody were on a break so I didn’t get to meet any characters.

My next stop was RnR and the single rider line was open. The posted wait was 20 minutes but everyone just walked right through to the pre-show, which they were letting people walking right through. I got a seat in the back row and actually had my eyes open in the picture! I didn’t note the wait at ToT but I did see the ride had been down for a bit earlier in the AM.

I walked back across the park to visit Tatooine Traders to look for the little porg. The CMs told me they were out and maybe won’t have them back in stock until November or December. I was bummed because I really wanted one. I ended up buying a pin of R2D2 with porgs on them because I had to buy something, right?! The Star Tours wait was 10 minutes.

I checked the app and saw that Mickey and Minnie meet nearby and their posted wait was only 5 minutes. Minnie looked gorgeous in her pink dress. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen her or met her in this outfit. Mickey met in his classic Sorcerer costume.

It was getting close to 9am and the last thing on my agenda was to meet the characters at Launch Bay. Since it wasn’t 9 yet, I grabbed coffee at Starbucks. As I was walking to Launch Bay I remembered they don’t want you to bring drinks into the area, so I had to chug it. I waited about 10 minutes to meet Chewbacca and the same for Darth Vader. They don’t have a photopass photographer there, they have the photo box. The CM presses the buttons and then as you exit the meet, you scan your magic band to get the photos. I thought they came out OK but really miss having an actual person there to move around and take the special shots!

It was 9:30am when I was walking out and they were ushering people into Voyage of the Little Mermaid. I thought, why not! I felt myself getting tired sitting in the cold, dark room and decided that it was going to my last activity of the morning.

I waved goodbye to HS and exited the park! I had accomplished everything I wanted to for the morning and it was time to get back to the resort for a shower, nap and some time at the pool.

I headed back to HS later that evening and saw the 5pm BATB show, watched the 5:30 Star Wars: A Galaxy Far Far Away stage show, had a beer at Baseline Taphouse, caught the 6:30pm Frozen show with FP, grabbed mobile order dinner from Fairfax Faire and brought it into F! for FP viewing area. I sat way in the back of the theater in the overflow seating. The very back row there has a back on the bench, which made it more comfortable. I enjoy the show but believe it would have been better if I had arrived earlier for my FP seating area. There are not too many CMs sort of controlling the crowds in the back so people were standing up, moving around, blocking views, etc. I know sitting for 45 minutes to an hour before the show doesn’t sound fun but honestly the show experience is MUCH better from down there.

I was beat and decided to head out after the show. That was my day at HS!
    Tricia

Sounds like a great day! I wonder if the the path between TSL and GE will remain 2 way traffic? Guess it depends on how the crowds are after EEMH ends.

Porgs are grumpy cat's galactic cousin:

https://i.imgur.com/kYcU3Yh.jpg
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol

We were there on Wed and Thursday last week, and did EEMH on Thursday, so we missed you by a day. We had a similar experience, did TSL, but SDD was down when we first arrived, so we did TSSM followed by two rides on SDD and were done and heading to GE by 7:10. Did some shopping and such, then rode MFSR, wait said 50 mins but it was actually about 30 at about 7:45. We were done with the ride and out front again before 8:30. Our two MK RD days with EEMH were equally awesome, got everything we wanted to get done before lunch both days, and even had time to throw in some low key items we never seem to have time to do. I am going to miss the EEMH next year when we go, they made touring so easy.

I love your Porg btw.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by HeyHeather View Post
    Sounds like a great day! I wonder if the the path between TSL and GE will remain 2 way traffic? Guess it depends on how the crowds are after EEMH ends.

Porgs are grumpy cat's galactic cousin:

I love them so much!!

https://i.imgur.com/kYcU3Yh.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by cboyer View Post
    We were there on Wed and Thursday last week, and did EEMH on Thursday, so we missed you by a day. We had a similar experience, did TSL, but SDD was down when we first arrived, so we did TSSM followed by two rides on SDD and were done and heading to GE by 7:10. Did some shopping and such, then rode MFSR, wait said 50 mins but it was actually about 30 at about 7:45. We were done with the ride and out front again before 8:30. Our two MK RD days with EEMH were equally awesome, got everything we wanted to get done before lunch both days, and even had time to throw in some low key items we never seem to have time to do. I am going to miss the EEMH next year when we go, they made touring so easy.

I love your Porg btw.
    Sorry to have just missed you. Glad you had great experiences with EEMH too!
    Tricia

Some of my photopass pics from the day!

I thought this was so cool!

I wish I could have met actual Woody but this will have to do until next time!

Nerding out at SW:GE!

My eyes are actually open!!!

Minnie in her beautiful pink dress :)

Not a bad photo with Chewie considering it was taken by a box.
    Tricia