Thread: Amending ADRs

Amending ADRs

I know you need to cancel ADRs at least 24 hours before in order to not incur the $10/person charge, but how does it work with amendments (if I need to change the time or date)?
    Aug 1987 (ish) - WDW with parents and brother
    Dec 2006 - WDW with DH
    Dec 2007 - WDW with DH and bump!
    Oct 2011 - WDW with DH, DD and DD
    Dec 2013 - WDW with DH, DD and DD
    Dec 2015 - WDW with DH, DD, DD and BIL
    Dec 2017 - WDW with DH, DD, DD and BIL
    Dec 2019 - WDW with DH, DD, DD and BIL (I see a pattern emerging)!!

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    I believe you can modify the reservation the same day, subject to availability.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Unless they closed a loophole, you can change a same day ADR to another day in the future and then cancel.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    I believe you can modify the reservation the same day, subject to availability.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgarbowski View Post
    Unless they closed a loophole, you can change a same day ADR to another day in the future and then cancel.
    Thank you. Handy to know.
    Aug 1987 (ish) - WDW with parents and brother
    Dec 2006 - WDW with DH
    Dec 2007 - WDW with DH and bump!
    Oct 2011 - WDW with DH, DD and DD
    Dec 2013 - WDW with DH, DD and DD
    Dec 2015 - WDW with DH, DD, DD and BIL
    Dec 2017 - WDW with DH, DD, DD and BIL
    Dec 2019 - WDW with DH, DD, DD and BIL (I see a pattern emerging)!!

The one difference for changing a same day ADR's date is that you need to call and cannot make the changes online. The call usually takes about 10 minutes. Remember to cancel that faux ADR the next day or so :o

We've done this twice, the last time was 18 months ago. Pretty sure it still works the same.
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol

I changed an ADR on the same day with the MDE app in April 2018, or around 17 months ago. No phone call needed.
    Last edited by Alcachofa; 10-08-2019 at 08:51 AM.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcachofa View Post
    I changed an ADR on the same day with the MDE app in April 2018, or around 17 months ago. No phone call needed.
    I've done the same with no call needed.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

My understanding (and experience) is that you can change same day on MDE up to 3 hours out. Once you are within 3 hours you have to call. At least that's what I was told when I called in Oct. 2018 because I couldn't change our BOG in the app and I wasn't feeling great.
    Jen

Good to know there's likely a time window. I'm assuming 3hrs is for all ADRs?

iirc I tried before noon to change the date of a dinner ADR but the system said I needed to call. It felt like they intentionally made both of my calls longer and more inconvenient than necessary by repeating paragraphs of the same things over and over and over but maybe they always go through all that spiel, lol.
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol

Quote Originally Posted by HeyHeather View Post
    The one difference for changing a same day ADR's date is that you need to call and cannot make the changes online. The call usually takes about 10 minutes. Remember to cancel that faux ADR the next day or so :o

We've done this twice, the last time was 18 months ago. Pretty sure it still works the same.
    I've done it a month ago.
    You do not need to call

Quote Originally Posted by HeyHeather View Post
    Good to know there's likely a time window. I'm assuming 3hrs is for all ADRs?

iirc I tried before noon to change the date of a dinner ADR but the system said I needed to call. It felt like they intentionally made both of my calls longer and more inconvenient than necessary by repeating paragraphs of the same things over and over and over but maybe they always go through all that spiel, lol.
    It's not that hard and fast. Sometimes it's 3 hours, sometimes it's not at all, sometimes it's less than that.
    All you can do is try to change it online.
    If you can't, you can't. You have to call.
    If you can, you can.
    The charge for the missed ADR comes from the manager at the restaurant. They will either process a fee, or they won't. We've had more than 1 ADR that was missed for a variety of reasons, and we were totally ok with paying the fee (sometimes the fee is less than a meal you simply won't want to eat) only to not be charged.

I have cancelled many ADRs on the app on the day-of or day-before. Just be wary that if it's a hard-to-get reservation (like BoG or something) that you might have trouble getting that future fake time, so be a little more careful with those.

One time I was headed to the Wave for a late lunch ADR and got caught in a horrible thunder storm that made the roads very dangerous, and thus had to drive very slowly. I was meeting a friend there, and she got to the restaurant on time, but then found out that the kitchen was about to close (I didn't realize they had downtime between lunch and dinner). She explained the issues and they were able to cancel and not charge me.
    Nov 2019-W&D 10K (Pop); Aug 2019-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Feb 2019-Festival of the Arts (POFQ); Nov 2018-40th Birthday Trip (Pop); Aug 2018-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil), Nov 2017-Wine & Dine 5K (Pop), Aug 2017-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); May 2017-Tinkerbell 10K (Disneyland); Novr 2016-Wine & Dine 10K (POFQ); Aug 2016-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Nov 2015-1st Solo Trip (All-Star Movies); Aug 2015-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Aug 2014-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil)