Thread: Itinerary critique for December trip - updated!

Itinerary critique for December trip - updated!

Hi everyone! I posted a little while ago when I was first planning out our trip and got some great feedback. Now that our FastPass date is coming up soon, I thought Iíd post an updated itinerary to see if anyone points out any changes/issues before then 😁

Quick recap: 9 adults, ranging in age of ~25-75, a few late sleepers and one Star Wars obsessed husband, staying at Port Orleans French quarter 12/4 -12/9

Wednesday December 4th, 2019
    - Flight lands at 9:15 AM, Magical Express to hotel
    - Check in, Lunch at food court of hotel , ~ 2:00 PM arrive at Epcot
    - Soarin
    - Living with the land and/or Nemo and/or Figment
    - Spaceship Earth (FP: 400)
    - Mission Space (FP:5:00)
    - Test track (via single rider)
    - Dinner at 6:45 at la hacienda de San Angel
    - Frozen forever after (FP: 6:00 or 8:30)
    - Fireworks show at 9:30

Thursday December 5th,
    - Star Wars people rope drop HS
    - Rise of the Resistance (😳)
    - Millennium Falcon (if possible)
    - Explore Galaxys Edge
    - Husband- lightsaber building at 12:05
    **rest**

MK for mickeys Christmas party
    - Lunch/Dinner at Liberty tree tavern, 3:25 and 3:50
    - possibly FastPass before 6:00 jungle cruise and/or pirates and/or haunted mansion

Friday December 6th
    Attempt Rope Drop AK
    - Navi River Journey
    - Flight of Passage (FP: 9:30)
    - Kilimanjaro Safaris (FP: 10:30)
    - Lion King show 12:00
    - Expedition Everest (FP 12:45)
    - Kali River Rapids (if warm enough)
    - Dinosaur
    - Itís tough to be a bug
    - pandora bar and/or try for possible 4th fp
    Rivers of light at 6:30 PM
    Dinner at Sanaa in the Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village (one table at 7:40, the other at 8:00)

Saturday December 7th
    - Star Wars people rope drop HS
    - Ride the other Star Wars ride
    Meet rest of group
    - Drinks at Ogas Cantina 10:30
    - Slinky dog dash (FP: 11:30)
    - Lunch at Docking Bay 7
    - Toy Story Mania (if short wait, otherwise wait for 4th FP)
    - Star Tours (FP: 12:15)
    - Indiana Jones / Tower of terror (Group split up)
    - Lightning McQueen simulator
    - Beauty and the Beast, FP 4:00
    - possibly Rock N Roller Coaster (standby or single rider)

FREE NIGHT
    Disney Springs, Epcot, Boardwalk, Sleep

Sunday, December 8th

Attempt Rope Drop MK
    - Space Mountain
    - Buzz lightyear space-ranger spin
    - Itís a small world
    - Little mermaid
    - Seven Dwarfs Mine train (FP: 10:30)
    - Hall of presidents
    - Haunted Mansion
    - Big Thunder Mountain (FP: 12:30)
    - Country Bears Jamboree
    - Pirates of the Carribbean (FP: 2:00)

Back to Hotel
    HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
    Dinner 6:30 at Mama Melrose
    Galaxys edge at night, fireworks etc

Animal Kingdom
    FP for Flight of Passage, Everest, Safari
    - need to leave ~ 3-4 pm

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
    😁🙏

I think it's good that you're leaving big chunks of time open for HS / SWGE. If the new ride opens on/before you get there, it will be nuts.
    Fr your first day, Soarin might be solid 45+ min wait. See if you can find some posted wait times for Epcot from early august and compare Soarin vs Frozen. You may wantto FP+ Soarin instead, and then wait in stand by for Frozen after dinner. Ormaybe I’ve got it flipped, but worth checking.
    If you can get FP+ for your MVMCP night, definitely choosethe latest time for Jungle Cruise as opposed to the others. JC closes for theHalloween party and may do the same for Xmas party.

For 12/6…keep in mind it will probably be very hard to getan AM FP+ for FoP. I would figure you will, at best, get a late afternoon. Iwould RD Navi because you’ll be out of the ride before 9 (assuming a properrope drop J )then head up to Safari. By 9:35 you’re out.And even if you get that early AM FP+ for FoP, you can head right back down anduse it. Assuming still that your FoP islater, I’d then have a FP+ for EE, starting about 9:45. With a casual walk you’llreach by 10AM. Then continue over to Dinosaur with hopefully not much longerthan a 10-15min wait. Depending on whenyour FoP FP+ is, plan Lion King show around it. You can book a FP+ for Kali andprobably change it the day before (maybe to Dino) once you have a goodexpectation of weather.
    Sanaa is awesome!

Just a heads up, Single Rider Lines can be tricky. I’ve hadgreat success but many have noted how groups may try to do it with same ideabut it can take a while. Still go for it, but just be mindful.

For 12/8, If you cannot get into the park by 8:30 (for 9amopen) then you’re better off getting an AM FP+ for Space, and looking for a 4thFP+ for Pirates.

Sorry for the long AK advice. You don’t have a bad plan atall, it’s just how I’d attack it. Have fun!
    Oct 2017 POLY (first time with Family)
    Aug 2018 Pop/YC (split stay)
    Aug 2019 YC (first night at AS-Movies)
    2020 - taking a break unless we win the Powerball!

Thank you!! That helps so much and I appreciate the input!

We had been debating the Soarin vs Frozen fastpass. The last time we were there was 2015 and Frozen wasn't open yet, so we planned to get it for the "new" (to us) ride. I'll take a look into the numbers of each later in the night and think about switching them.

I've been to the halloween party at Disney LAND years ago (which was amazing btw), but haven't been to any of the parties in the World yet which from what I understand are an entirely different type of night. I'll double check those too.

We haven't been to Animal Kingdom since Pandora opened, so I really appreciate the advice with this! We definitely have some people that struggled with rope drop, so an afternoon FoP might work better regardless. I'll look at reconfiguring this day. Same thing for MK - by this point I think its likely we might be dragging a little bit in the morning ;) . Getting an AM FP+ for Space might be the encouragement some of this group needs to get there on time!

Just want to echo J&J's Dad's advice and add that you almost certainly won't get a FOP FP+ for 9 people on 60+2--at any time. You may have success splitting up into smaller groups and finding afternoon slots, but even then I wouldn't count on it.

Here's a link that shows fastpass availability: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...d.php?t=835236
    It's updated daily, and right now it shows no FOP availability at 60+4. That's during Thanksgiving week, though, and your week will be less crowded. And if you're persistent in checking, you may find groups of 2 or 3. If FOP is important and you don't want to do rope drop or at park close, then do not get Navi FP+ and check for day-of FOP+ around 11 am and 1 pm, when Disney often releases additional FP+.

If the last items on your itinerary are a second day at DAK on 12/9, then I probably wouldn't worry too much about FOP on 12/6.

You may also have trouble getting FP+ for Slinky at 60+3 for a group of 9. Be ready to split the group up when looking for FP+, or tell the non-Star Wars crowd that they need to be there by park open if they want to ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by hizouse View Post
    Just want to echo J&J's Dad's advice and add that you almost certainly won't get a FOP FP+ for 9 people on 60+2--at any time. You may have success splitting up into smaller groups and finding afternoon slots, but even then I wouldn't count on it.

Here's a link that shows fastpass availability: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...d.php?t=835236
    It's updated daily, and right now it shows no FOP availability at 60+4. That's during Thanksgiving week, though, and your week will be less crowded. And if you're persistent in checking, you may find groups of 2 or 3. If FOP is important and you don't want to do rope drop or at park close, then do not get Navi FP+ and check for day-of FOP+ around 11 am and 1 pm, when Disney often releases additional FP+.

If the last items on your itinerary are a second day at DAK on 12/9, then I probably wouldn't worry too much about FOP on 12/6.

You may also have trouble getting FP+ for Slinky at 60+3 for a group of 9. Be ready to split the group up when looking for FP+, or tell the non-Star Wars crowd that they need to be there by park open if they want to ride it.
    In the words of Crush...Totalllllyyyyy
    Oct 2017 POLY (first time with Family)
    Aug 2018 Pop/YC (split stay)
    Aug 2019 YC (first night at AS-Movies)
    2020 - taking a break unless we win the Powerball!

Thank for that link, thatís super helpful!

Yes this group of nine has already been proven difficult with the dinner reservations, so I know itís highly likely the fast passes are going to be the same issue. Add on to that the struggles some have getting up in the morning, and itís a great combination 😂🤦🏻*♀️.

We havenít been there since pandora or slinky opened, So we definitely want to try to get them- hopefully that last day at AK will be far enough out 🤞 . If we canít get them for slinky it might have to be a park close situation.

Thanks again for your help!

Just a note about your Saturday at HS. You have Ogaís followed by SDD which is convenient as the exit of galaxyís edge takes you right into Toy Story Land. But if it is busy you wonít be able to re-enter for your Docking Bay lunch and will have to walk all the way around the park back to the GE entrance zSo you might want to do all TSMM before heading back to GE for lunch to save yourself some steps.

Have fun on your trip cegreen! We'll be there the following week.

It's updated daily, and right now it shows no FOP availability at 60+4. That's during Thanksgiving week, though, and your week will be less crowded.
    Thanks for thedibb's link! I forgot about that and with 2 wks until our FP window it comes in handy :D

Our trip is Dec 10-15 and 2 things have me straight up confused:
    -Droid reservations have availability every day now thru 2020, except Dec 2-16. Occasionally 1 reservation pops up but otherwise those 2 weeks are booked solid. Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks have plenty of availability. Can this mean the first 2 weeks of December will be a madhouse at HS?
    https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/sh...s/droid-depot/
    -But then I look at the SkyLiner schedule from Josh's latest post and it looks like hours won't be expanded around the full GE opening. To make matters worse, we've planned Thurs Dec 12 for HS and now that's 1 of only 2 days in the 3 months posted with the very late 7:45a SkyLiner open.
    https://www.easywdw.com/reports16/december_skyliner.jpg

Possibly, the SkyLiner opens at :45 on days that HS has EMH and :00 on non-EMH days?

I'm nervous December will see the crowds expected in Sept and WDW/HS won't be prepared.
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol

With the Dec SkyLiner schedule showing 12:30a closing for Tuesdays in early Dec (and late closings for Tuesdays in Oct & Nov), wonder if DAH will be offered then. Better would be HS night EMH, yeah!

Wish WDW would release more park hours info >:-( They did it 5 months out for the first GE opening, why can't they at least do 90 days before the whole land is ready?
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol

I noticed that to about the reservations - I was able to get the Savi's one for my husband, and then later went back to try to see if it could push it a little earlier in the day and got nothing. HS night EMH would be amazing for these night owls I'm traveling with...although that would make rope drop the next day even MORE difficult for them ��. I'm hoping to see any extended hours while we there, if nothing else to spread out the crowds a little bit!

Hope they do extend HS hours for both our dates *fingers crossed*

WDW should have some clue by now if early December is expecting serious attendance, but will they want do anything about crowds/lines or use it to redeem themselves in the news and try proving there's demand? Ah, either way we'll all have fun!

Thank you for that link! It was really helpful in planning fastpasses for my upcoming trip.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyHeather View Post
    Have fun on your trip cegreen! We'll be there the following week.

Thanks for thedibb's link! I forgot about that and with 2 wks until our FP window it comes in handy :D

Our trip is Dec 10-15 and 2 things have me straight up confused:
    -Droid reservations have availability every day now thru 2020, except Dec 2-16. Occasionally 1 reservation pops up but otherwise those 2 weeks are booked solid. Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks have plenty of availability. Can this mean the first 2 weeks of December will be a madhouse at HS?
    https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/sh...s/droid-depot/
    -But then I look at the SkyLiner schedule from Josh's latest post and it looks like hours won't be expanded around the full GE opening. To make matters worse, we've planned Thurs Dec 12 for HS and now that's 1 of only 2 days in the 3 months posted with the very late 7:45a SkyLiner open.
    https://www.easywdw.com/reports16/december_skyliner.jpg

Possibly, the SkyLiner opens at :45 on days that HS has EMH and :00 on non-EMH days?

I'm nervous December will see the crowds expected in Sept and WDW/HS won't be prepared.
    We arrive about the end of your trip and found reservations for the Droid Depot on multiple days during the week we'll be there. I actually just reserved one this morning. So maybe just keep checking? We had plenty of availability for fastpasses at the big rides beginning on the second day and beyond of the trip (just like the link said). I'm still holding out hope for reasonable crowds.

Thanks everyone!

I was actually able to get our Ogaís reservation moved from 10:30 AM on 12/7 to 5:00 on 12/8. Now instead of morning drinking we can go there for some pre-dinner drinks before our dinner 😂.

Fast passes didnít go exactly as I planned but we were able to make it work! We got slinky dog for 12/7 but not until 5:30 😳. Couldnít get FOP until our second animal kingdom day on 12/9, but were able to get Navi River Journey for 12/6. And no issues getting seven dwarves for the morning of 12/8.

The biggest issue Iím having is with ďJingleĒ cruise the day of the Christmas party! We got s pirates for 3:30-4:30, but jungle cruise was only at 4:40, so thatís preventing us from getting a third FP starting at 5:30-6:00. I figured if this is our biggest problem we did ok 😁

Good luck to everyone else, and hope you all have amazing trips!

Quote Originally Posted by cegreenf31 View Post
    Thanks everyone!

The biggest issue Iím having is with ďJingleĒ cruise the day of the Christmas party! We got s pirates for 3:30-4:30, but jungle cruise was only at 4:40, so thatís preventing us from getting a third FP starting at 5:30-6:00.!
    Keep playing with it. With repeated refreshing you should be able to get it to show you a 4:30 jungle cruise. Sometimes I can gradually bump down in 5 minute increments. At 60 days out there are definitely 4:30 pm FP there, but for some reason sometimes you have to go on and out of the system and search several times before it will show the times you want.

You could also delete the 4:40 jungle and book your desired 5:30 FP. If you have a 3:30 and a 5:30 it can push the system into showing you more 4:30 options. But of course there is risk with this strategy.