Thread: Uber vs Lyft

Uber vs Lyft

We're from the UK and don't have Lyft here. How do the 2 services/prices/reliability, etc compare?

I have never used Uber in the UK but did use them a few times when we were last at WDW.
    Aug 1987 (ish) - WDW with parents and brother
    Dec 2006 - WDW with DH
    Dec 2007 - WDW with DH and bump!
    Oct 2011 - WDW with DH, DD and DD
    Dec 2013 - WDW with DH, DD and DD
    Dec 2015 - WDW with DH, DD, DD and BIL
    Dec 2017 - WDW with DH, DD, DD and BIL
    Dec 2019 - WDW with DH, DD, DD and BIL (I see a pattern emerging)!!

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Almost identical. At WDW, the Lyft app is how you access Minnie Vans, in case you're interested in using them.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how to set my user title myself when no one else could!! magic1106's Avatar
    Locally, I find them indistinguishable to the point that many of the cars have both Lyft and Uber emblems on them.
    The only difference I have found is price. Some times it is negligible, other times $10 or more difference. I donít know why this is.
    I will usually open both apps and compare prices to make my decision.

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by magic1106 View Post
    Same here.

We've been fortunate to get random discounts, like 50% off your next ten trips, that coincide with our WDW trips.

Lyft/Uber is the way to go from resort to resort. Using WDW transportation resort to resort is a hassle, well worth avoiding by paying $8-$10 for Lyft/Uber.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    Almost identical. At WDW, the Lyft app is how you access Minnie Vans, in case you're interested in using them.
    Quote Originally Posted by magic1106 View Post
    Locally, I find them indistinguishable to the point that many of the cars have both Lyft and Uber emblems on them.
    The only difference I have found is price. Some times it is negligible, other times $10 or more difference. I don’t know why this is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Same here.

We've been fortunate to get random discounts, like 50% off your next ten trips, that coincide with our WDW trips.

Lyft/Uber is the way to go from resort to resort. Using WDW transportation resort to resort is a hassle, well worth avoiding by paying $8-$10 for Lyft/Uber.
    Thank you all. I will download the Lyft app too and compare prices at the time :-)
    Dec 2006 - WDW with DH

he's right
    I don't patronize Uber if I can help it, for a variety of reasons. They are both rent-seeking so neither is great, but Uber is more rapacious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    I don't patronize Uber if I can help it, for a variety of reasons. They are both rent-seeking so neither is great, but Uber is more rapacious about it.
    As a New Yorker and frequent visitor to Orlando, I find the idea that Uber and Lyft should particularly be called out for rent seeking bizarre, when compared to the previous ossified status quo of the NYC taxi medallion cartel and Mears in Orlando. I'm not saying Uber and lyft are paragons of virtue, but the industry they entered was among the most cozy and corrupt in existence, and their presence has forced exceedingly grudging improvements both to the regulatory model and the service provided by the somewhat displaced operators.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

he's right
    I don't need anyone to agree with me. Just offering a response to the OP.

But, from my perspective, Uber is flat out evil. Lyft is exploitative (as are the NYC cartels and Mears) but at least wear a fig leaf of respectability in comparison. I didn't say I don't use any of them. I said I don't use Uber when I can avoid it. Everyone draws a line somewhere. But Uber's latest claim that drivers are not core to their business, and therefore they don't need to treat drivers in California as employees, is beyond the pale.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/11/b...rnia-bill.html

Speaking of NYC, the Medallions-as-predatory-lending scheme was particularly interesting:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/r...stigation.html

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Pro-tip: If you use the Google Maps app, you can enter starting and finishing points as if you're going to drive, then tap the "taxi" icon to get instant and current Lyft and Uber quotes, complete with a link to the appropriate app.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Pro-tip: If you use the Google Maps app, you can enter starting and finishing points as if you're going to drive, then tap the "taxi" icon to get instant and current Lyft and Uber quotes, complete with a link to the appropriate app.
    Thank you - I'll have to try that :-)
    Dec 2006 - WDW with DH

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nats80 View Post
    Thank you - I'll have to try that :-)
    Of course, this works for walking and public transportation directions too.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Many Uber and Lyft drivers don't like the California law. Calling opposition to that law evil seems a stretch.
    https://www.latimes.com/california/s...rs-gig-economy

I really don't want to have this conversation here. But the injection of social and political commentary always seems to come from one side on this forum and it is tiresome. Would rather just not see it. Also, treating employees poorly is not rent seeking. It is a wrong, but different in kind.

Done and out on this topic.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge