Thread: Just got back - No crowds!

Just got back - No crowds!

Just got back late last night from a ladies only trip. We stayed 7 nights at Bay Lake Tower. My friend is a DVC member and we got a 2 bedroom place. For the most part it was just great. Here are some pros and cons of the trip:

Pros:

*NO crowds! I think it was the combo of people cancelling due to the hurricane and the fact that it was Sept. We waited 20 minutes for Slinky DD, 30 for Smugglers Run and when we went to Avatar only 25 for Navi River (which wasn't worth the wait in my opinion). We had a FP for FOP but it was only a 45 minute wait at some times.

*Weather. Okay this was a pro/con but it didn't rain at all during the week. We were expecting a downfall in the afternoons. On the flip side it was HOT. Well into the 90s each day with 60% humidity. I found the neck cooling towels helped a lot.

* All the construction didn't really cause any issues. EPCOT is being torn up at the entrance, the area between the boat landing and the entrance to MK is being all redone and of course the new revamps to future world. But as usual they are doing work at night and there was no noise or any sign inconvenience.

Cons

*BLT needs some love. Our toaster was broken, and our dryer took 3 cycles to actually dry clothes. And by the end of the week there was a streak of mold growing down my toilet and black mold dots on the ceiling.

* Cast members weren't as friendly as they always have been. Maybe hiring is tough but lots of seemingly miserable ride operators and cashiers. I also noticed a lot of CMs clumped together just talking. Again, I see this all the time in the real world but never before at WDW.

* Magical Express ride from HE*L! It started to rain pretty hard on our way to the airport. Our driver waited until the last minute to stop and we started to hydroplane. He also took exits at the last second and swooped across lanes. The worst was when the bus started listing left and right. I said to the man next to me "wow the wind must be crazy outside the way we are going side to side". He said "no, look at the driver, he's only using one hand to drive". Sure enough his left hand was driving the bus and he couldn't keep it steady. I mean his hand was going (on a clock) from 11 to 7 and we were back and forth. I did reach out to ME to tell them. No word back.

All in all a great trip as usual!
    10/88 - Off Site, 5/89 -Off Site, 4/94 - Poly, 5/96 - Swan, 9/99 - Tree House Villas, 3/02 - WL, 3/04 - CR, 11/11 - Poly,
    10/16 - POR

I would think the cast members talking etc., may have been due to concerns about the hurricane. It’s extremely stressful, not knowing what these storms will do and who they will affect/have already affected.
    Brandi

Hi Brandi, no they were just chatting. The hurricane was long gone. Again, nothing I'd complain to anyone about but overall a lot of "when is my shirt over" faces. It was so hot I'd be the same way!
    10/88 - Off Site, 5/89 -Off Site, 4/94 - Poly, 5/96 - Swan, 9/99 - Tree House Villas, 3/02 - WL, 3/04 - CR, 11/11 - Poly,
    10/16 - POR

It could be a case of slumped morale if the stresses of under-attendance have been contagious from upper levels of management on down.
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol

I was a little disappointed with CM's as well at the end of August. Last year it felt like we hit a lot of CM's in training (makes sense when crowds are vastly down) and that carried over too (seeing buses in training park, then leave hotel without anyone on board was infuriating). I also noticed bus drivers were much less friendly. Over the years they would always get on the PA and talk - fun facts, trivia etc. This time, not one driver.
    We had a few above and beyond experiences too, but I do think it was a mix of newbies, understaffed groups, etc.
    Oct 2017 POLY (first time with Family)
    Aug 2018 Pop/YC (split stay)
    Aug 2019 YC (first night at AS-Movies)
    2020 - taking a break unless we win the Powerball!

The end of August is when the fall College Program starts, so you probably encountered a ton of CPs who had just arrived.