Thread: Paper Straws. Not a fan

Paper Straws. Not a fan

Just got back and I have to say the paper straws were not optimal. At most meals we stopped getting them and drank right from the cup/glass. That hard things were milk shakes and frozen Starbucks drinks etc. The paper straws did not hold up. We would have to use several to get through the drink. I know Disney is trying to be environmentally conscience, but in these instances the paper straw did not cut it.
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFredricksen View Post
    Just got back and I have to say the paper straws were not optimal. At most meals we stopped getting them and drank right from the cup/glass. That hard things were milk shakes and frozen Starbucks drinks etc. The paper straws did not hold up. We would have to use several to get through the drink. I know Disney is trying to be environmentally conscience, but in these instances the paper straw did not cut it.
    Invest in a permanent straw. They work really well.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    My daughter has one. We just didn't think to bring it. I didn't remember that Disney had gone plastic free.

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how to set my user title myself when no one else could!! magic1106's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I just purchased this for my family. Each collapsible straw came in a carrying case with its own cleaning brush

15 Pieces Collapsible Silicone... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QTGWC5F...p_mob_ap_share

Thanks for the reminder. We'll probably pack a few large plastic straws and rinse/reuse.
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    I certainly like the idea of reusable straws, but the logistics behind them are a PITA. Who's going to carry one around with them all the time? For our last cruise, we took a ginormous package of plastic straws from the dollar store with us (DCL has done away with straws and lids at the drink stations). Didn't even open them. We're in the camp that'll just suck it up (no pun intended) and use the paper straws or go without one...
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) Disney Institute (Jun 97) CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) FW/VWL (Nov 10) Poly (Mar 11, May 11) BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) SSR (Oct 11) YC (Oct 12) Swan (Oct 13) WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) Pop (Oct 14) POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) CBR (Dec 15) ASMo (Dec 16)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmilz View Post
    I certainly like the idea of reusable straws, but the logistics behind them are a PITA. Who's going to carry one around with them all the time? For our last cruise, we took a ginormous package of plastic straws from the dollar store with us (DCL has done away with straws and lids at the drink stations). Didn't even open them. We're in the camp that'll just suck it up (no pun intended) and use the paper straws or go without one...
    I agree. I'm willing to be inconvenienced. And before you put me on a pedestal (admit it, you were thinking it), reusable straws are even more of an inconvenience to me than no straw at all.

Stupid Judy.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmilz View Post
    We did suck it up. The problem was really only around the thicker drinks. Since there is no Disney trip without a Dole Whip, be ready to take like 10 straws to finish it. Since we are August we also did a few frozen Starbucks drinks and a milk shake at Sci-Fi. Those also took several straws. The paper straws don't hold up well to a thick drink. It isn't really problem as long as you remember grab extra.
    Water and other beverages we just drank right from the glass/cup.

I'm in the camp of no straw over the paper straws (they really are horrible), and most drinks you don't need a straw. But I can see how the thicker drinks can be a problem, and I think in those cases I would rather use a spoon than the paper straws. Drink my milkshake or dolewhip like soup rather than the paper straws.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by MrFredricksen View Post
    We did suck it up. The problem was really only around the thicker drinks. Since there is no Disney trip without a Dole Whip, be ready to take like 10 straws to finish it. Since we are August we also did a few frozen Starbucks drinks and a milk shake at Sci-Fi. Those also took several straws. The paper straws don't hold up well to a thick drink. It isn't really problem as long as you remember grab extra.
    Water and other beverages we just drank right from the glass/cup.
    Don't you eat a Dole Whip with a spoon?

Stupid Judy.

We were just there for 2 weeks in August and we really disliked the paper straws. We felt it ruined the taste of some beverages, or at least the experience drinking it haha. We had lunch at EPCOT France one day and my daughter found out that they had plastic straws!!! Well, she proceeded to grabbed a handful and kept them in her backpack to use for the rest of the trip!

I've already added "box of plastic straws" to my Disney packing list for June. I can tolerate the paper straws at AK for just drinking a soda with lunch, but I hate when they start to get soggy. And we like to use the refillable mugs with a straw at the resort -- often filling our mugs when returning from the parks and sipping our drinks over the next few hours while hanging out in the room. A paper straw just isn't going to cut it for that. And I haven't found a reusable straw that I like.

I love this thread. We did a Universal trip in August, and the flimsy paper straws for the milkshakes at Toothsome Chocolate Emporium were absolutely ridiculous. We shared two giant milkshakes among five family members (two parents, three kids), and I think we collectively went through 15 paper straws. Our 1-year-old just annihilated the paper straws every. single. sip. You don't realize how amazing a plastic straw can be, until you go without it.

With three young kids, we're already cleaning bottles and tupperware constantly, even on vacation, so the no-straw option beats the reusable straw option....