Thread: last minute hurricane trip?

last minute hurricane trip?

Had plans to go to Myrtle Beach 9/7-14 but now looking at the Gulf Coast (as close as Clearwater and as far as Perdido Key) and possibly driving into Orlando to do the Tuesday MNSSHP - are we crazy? Is that something we can decide on Monday, pending weather reports? Last time we went to WDW I had 6+ months to plan so this is anxiety-inducing.

Not crazy, as long as you cushion time for possible travel delays or re-routes.

I love the Clearwater area, especially Madiera Beach. My Grandmother owned the bait and tackle shop on St John's Pass for decades so maybe I'm a bit biased. The areas you plan to visit should be fine next week, right? Have a magical trip :D
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol

Quote Originally Posted by nursepaula View Post
    Had plans to go to Myrtle Beach 9/7-14 but now looking at the Gulf Coast (as close as Clearwater and as far as Perdido Key) and possibly driving into Orlando to do the Tuesday MNSSHP - are we crazy? Is that something we can decide on Monday, pending weather reports? Last time we went to WDW I had 6+ months to plan so this is anxiety-inducing.
    If you just want to do MNSSHP then go for it. You don't really need to plan those because there are no FP+ during the party. You probably won't get ADRs but you never know. Some people might have cancelled because of Dorian.
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

Are you planning to drive back to the Clearwater area after MNSSHP? That would be my only concern. I live on one of those islands in the same line as Clearwater, and it never takes me the theoretical 1.5 hours it "should" take me to get there. It's always a minimum of 2 hours and often up to 3.

I hope it's not a crazy idea. My husband told me on Labor Day that he is speaking at a conference in Orlando next Monday and Tuesday, so I invited myself to go along and am planning to spend those days at WDW. I got some decent FPs even though it was late in the game. It's not the ideal setup for a once-of-a-lifetime trip, but it's a good time of year for a spur-of-the-moment trip for people who go often (if you're not prone to melting).

do it do it
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

We. are. GOING!!! We start driving tonight at midnight and got tickets for Tuesday night's party. Got a throwaway campsite night and a Liberty Tree "lunner" at 4:45 - never eaten there and have plenty of time to cancel. We will play it by ear as to whether or not we stay (my choice) or drive back (DH) after the party. MNSSHP has been on my WDW bucket list for a minute and I'm pscyhed! Kids don't know it yet but we are dressing up like the Lost Boys - shout out to major retail's need to sell Halloween stuff before Labor Day, I found ears/tails for all but the bear, whose hat should be arriving by 9pm tonight courtesy of amazon. Will try to do a "live" TR as we go. I am a planner and have never had a day and a half to plan a vacation so this should be fun!

Cast:
    Self
    DH - only wanted to sit on the beach and fish
    DD13 - is BIG MAD about missing school, only one that knows MNSSHP is happening
    DD11 - a little less than big mad about this vacay, hoping I can find something manatee related for her to see/do to make up for this most terrible parenting decision
    DD9.1 and DD9.2 - these two could care less about missing school but when asked what one thing they'd want to do if we got a chance to go back to MK, only listed things at the other parks, smh.

Cheers!

Rule
    #1: the nurse is always right.
    Rule
    #2: if the nurse is ever wrong, see Rule #1.

Have fun! I suggest not Perdido Key, if you haven't already made plans. I just got back and the jellyfish were INSANE. Couldn't swim at Perdido. Gulf State Park was fine, but further east was impossible.
    ~Trisha~
    Luxury Family Vacation Planner
    https://www.facebook.com/TrishaWrightTravelAgency

Quote Originally Posted by tlseege View Post
    Have fun! I suggest not Perdido Key, if you haven't already made plans. I just got back and the jellyfish were INSANE. Couldn't swim at Perdido. Gulf State Park was fine, but further east was impossible.
    Yikes! Staying Clearwater-adjacent, googling water conditions now! Thanks for the tip. Glad we got a place with a pool.

Have a blast!!!
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

FYI...I read that over 30 people reported stingray stings last weekend in Clearwater. I've seen them in groups of over 100 lately (it's called a fever when it's a bunch of stingrays). You'll be fine as long as you do the stingray shuffle. You drag your feet along the ground without picking them up. It really does scare them away.

Good luck on the manatees! There isn't anywhere that you're practically guaranteed to see them at this time of year, but they are all over the place. I've never kayaked in that area simply because we have lots of good kayaking spots where we live 45 minutes away from there, but I've heard good things about kayaking around Honeymoon Island. I think there's a mangrove tunnel you can kayak through (check to see if you have to do it when the tide is low to fit under the trees), and those are always cool because there are tiny little crabs hanging off the trees, and they're just a few inches past your face as you float past them.

Hope you and your family are having a great time :D
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol