Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frontier or Spirit?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Frontier or Spirit?

booking last minute non stop ohio - MCO flights for next week.. Yay! if you had a chose would you prefer one over the other? Just going for a two night stay with DD and only planning to bring a personal item so no luggage or carry on concerns

thanks

he's right
    I wouldn't fly either on a bet.

We have played the Frontier game twice for similar trips. The first went fine. The second we had about a six hour delay.

Thatís the risk you run with the ultra discounters. If there is an issue with the plane or weather, there isnít another plane or flight to potentially fill the gap.

If you can catch a bargain and manage your expectations, it can be fun for a quick trip. But donít make to firm of plans based on a certain arrival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    August 2008 - Carribbean Beach
    August 2010 - Port Orleans - French Quarter
    September 2012 - Pop Century
    September 2014 - Boardwalk - 1st Food & Wine!
    June 2015 - Disney Dream - Family Honeymoon Cruise!
    December 2015 - Pop Century - 1st WDW Christmas!
    October 2016 - Disneyland
    June 2017 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    August 2018 - Port Orleans - Riverside

Concert Junkie when not at Disney

My parents are big fans of Frontier. But they are retired and have VERY flexible schedules. They haven't had many problems with Frontier, but when they have a six hour delay, for example, it has been no big deal.

Everyone I know who has flown Spirit has had some sort of problem from minor to very major.

I would never fly either one with my whole family when our vacation time is limited. No way. For a last minute trip with just one of my kids, maybe Frontier.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    The biggest issue to me is the potential for a cancelled flight. If a flight is cancelled, all of those passengers have to squeeze into available flights, and it often takes several days to accommodate them all. My coworker spent thousands on a different airline getting his family back from Florida rather than waiting almost a week for a rebooked flight on Frontier (they would have all left on different flights/days, besides).

When it works, Frontier and Spirit are supposedly great, but for my family, we just can't take the risk.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

If it's just you, I would go with Frontier. The issues mentioned above are all valid concerns but, if it's just you and you won't be devastated by a delay/change, you are probably fine on Frontier. I have flown them a couple times in the past and, while they are certainly not my preferred airline (I hate all the fees and their seats are miserable to me), I had mostly acceptable experiences.
    Jen

I've had mostly positive experiences with Frontier, and I'd be comfortable flying them for a short trip if it's just the 2 of you, no luggage, and no firm plans based on the scheduled arrival time.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Same concerns about cancellation delays here.

But for what it's worth, Spirit has the newest fleet in the industry. I get tired of the filthy planes that AA and UA fly all the time.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

We had a horrible experience this past July flying Frontier from MCO to CVG. Delayed but didn't tell us. Finally get on plane, about a 1/2 hr in the pilot makes announcement returning to MCO bc issue with exit door. Get back and they make us wait till after midnight. Sorry, no flight and no flights available for 2 more days! It was awful. Still trying to get all of our refund. Just terrible service all around. They don't care at all. Will never fly them again.

Last year we flew home via Spirit (fly down via United). We had a 4 hr delay but it was weather related. All flights were delayed. Felt like ours waited longer but that's the low priority it gets.
    This year we flew Frontier both ways. We flew out of Trenton NJ, which is practically a private airport, it's ONLY frontier and we had a good experience. however, the baggage transport to WDW hotels as AWFUL. Took over 6 hours to get bags. With United, they arrive about an hour after we arrived at hotels.

Going back home via Frontier was also fine - it was a 7:45AM flight. The timing mitigates a lot of the risk (probably my biggest tip of all)
    Oct 2017 POLY (first time with Family)
    Aug 2018 Pop/YC (split stay)
    Aug 2019 YC (first night at AS-Movies)
    2020 - taking a break unless we win the Powerball!

Most everyone I know who has flown Spirit has had delays, some of them days. I know people who ended up canceling their trip because their outbound Spirit flight was cancelled and they couldnít get on another until after their original return date. Plus, once you add all the fees, I donít think they are that much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazmom View Post
    Most everyone I know who has flown Spirit has had delays, some of them days. I know people who ended up canceling their trip because their outbound Spirit flight was cancelled and they couldn’t get on another until after their original return date. Plus, once you add all the fees, I don’t think they are that much cheaper.
    You need to get some new friends. Or, at the very least, not get in a car with them!

Spirit Airlines Edges Out Delta Air Lines As Most On-Time Air Carrier So Far In 2019

Stupid Judy.

My family cannot accept the delay risk either on these airlines for WDW, especially when we usually find JetBlu prices under $80 each way from NY to MCO that INCLUDE carryon luggage.

For several days there's been a $60 flight (taxes/fees included) for the day (Dec 10) we're going, even at our preferred time of 4:30pm. It just doesn't make sense for us to take the heavy gamble Spirit or Frontier when our expensive WDW hours are at stake.

If I had a similar trip to yours with good flexibility, I'd try for the earliest flight possible for us when more recovery options will be available should delays occur.
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol

Quote Originally Posted by HeyHeather View Post
    My family cannot accept the delay risk either on these airlines for WDW, especially when we usually find JetBlu prices under $80 each way from NY to MCO that INCLUDE carryon luggage.

For several days there's been a $60 flight (taxes/fees included) for the day (Dec 10) we're going, even at our preferred time of 4:30pm. It just doesn't make sense for us to take the heavy gamble Spirit or Frontier when our expensive WDW hours are at stake.

If I had a similar trip to yours with good flexibility, I'd try for the earliest flight possible for us when more recovery options will be available should delays occur.
    During the week that we went, Jet Blue out of JFK was triple those prices, whereas Frontier was in-line. We were about to drive until Frontier came out with deals.

Quote Originally Posted by J&J's Dad View Post
    During the week that we went, Jet Blue out of JFK was triple those prices, whereas Frontier was in-line. We were about to drive until Frontier came out with deals.

JetBlu can get pricey. They're cramping our fare budget for Sun Dec 15 right now. This is how we're playing it:

Trip: Tues Dec 10 - Sun Dec 15. We prefer EWR or HPN for convenience. Have been lightly watching fares since July.

At first the 10p flight home Sunday was $70, sweet! Tues was $110-120 tho, we figured that would come down.
    Now Tues show some $60-70 but Sunday's a beast Dec 15 out of MCO, between $170-270 one way *grumble* FESTIVUS! *shakes fist*

We get serious 90 to 21 days before our trip because that's when we usually catch great fares. JetBlu runs a 2 day sale around Sept, and Columbus Day has sales too (Black Friday as well but our dates may be too close then to be included).

Our window for 90 days out has just begun. These prices are high! Oh nooo :o $250rt each when we usually find $150-180, even Easter was only $210. But we're not ready to despair. Waiting for the 2day sale email alert and if that fails, Columbus Day. If nothing else by mid-Nov, we'll settle for around $200.

We like JetBlu because they allow a bunch of free luggage on the plane. Each one of us can have a carry-on, large camera backpack and a smaller bag too. We usually don't need to bring a check-in size luggage but when we do, we just pay the one charge of $50.

JetBlu has delayed us an hour or two, still not a deal breaker. And we've never gotten stranded... yet. Happy Fare Hunting! :D

*Fares I've listed included taxes/fees.
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol

Quote Originally Posted by HeyHeather View Post
    JetBlu can get pricey. They're cramping our fare budget for Sun Dec 15 right now. This is how we're playing it:

Trip: Tues Dec 10 - Sun Dec 15. We prefer EWR or HPN for convenience. Have been lightly watching fares since July.

At first the 10p flight home Sunday was $70, sweet! Tues was $110-120 tho, we figured that would come down.
    Now Tues show some $60-70 but Sunday's a beast Dec 15 out of MCO, between $170-270 one way *grumble* FESTIVUS! *shakes fist*

We get serious 90 to 21 days before our trip because that's when we usually catch great fares. JetBlu runs a 2 day sale around Sept, and Columbus Day has sales too (Black Friday as well but our dates may be too close then to be included).

Our window for 90 days out has just begun. These prices are high! Oh nooo :o $250rt each when we usually find $150-180, even Easter was only $210. But we're not ready to despair. Waiting for the 2day sale email alert and if that fails, Columbus Day. If nothing else by mid-Nov, we'll settle for around $200.

We like JetBlu because they allow a bunch of free luggage on the plane. Each one of us can have a carry-on, large camera backpack and a smaller bag too. We usually don't need to bring a check-in size luggage but when we do, we just pay the one charge of $50.

JetBlu has delayed us an hour or two, still not a deal breaker. And we've never gotten stranded... yet. Happy Fare Hunting! :D

*Fares I've listed included taxes/fees.
    Have you considered Frontier out of Trenton? It what we justdid in August for the first time. A number of my wife’s colleagues recommendedand as said above, ended up being much less.
    Frontier is the only airline at the airport (it’s otherwiseprivate). Only a few flights total each day. Their terminal only really holdsenough for 1 plane so they spread out the flights. Security is insanely quick.
    The ride from West Milford, depending on where in town youare, is probably about 80 miles or so, but consider this: the flight to MCO wasat ~3:30PM. The traffic is light midday. So it’s a really comfy ride.
    Parking is $8/day (uncovered) and the lot is right across.(Google Map it on Satellite view to see). The only issue that would cause delay is weather, which would affect anyairline. Obviously, if a blizzard comes and they cancel the flight, findingnext option is tough but you just need to be vigilant the days before. Maybethe insurance is worth it.
    The catch: The flight home was at 7:45AM. But again, there are pros. At least insummer, Orlando is reliable for the early afternoon T-Storm. Thus MCO flightsoften hit delays after noon. With a flight so early, you mitigate that issue.
    There are indeed fees for everything (check-in, carryon,etc). We did the bundles and it was still cheaper, but keep in mind flightshome everywhere else, including Jet Blue, were at least $275 just for the oneway!
    It’s buyer beware for sure, but don’t be afraid to costcompare. They sometimes offer kids fly free of $21 (one way) fares even to MCO.You never know…

Quote Originally Posted by J&J's Dad View Post
    Have you considered Frontier out of Trenton?
    Thank you, that info definitely help for considering the value. I only know 1 friend (with 4 kids) who uses that airport and she loves it. That's big savings buying 6 tickets! The price and parking sounds attractive. Newark & HPN are under an hour drive but parking has been an issue at both for various reasons. I get worried that if our flight has trouble we won't have many options to correct it.

This may be a good fit after my son leaves for college and we have more flexibility to find a cheap adult get-away to WDW :D Thanks for helping!

• These times are fine, but $227... without carry-on :( I'll keep checking, hoping somebody comes in under $200 :)

Tue, Dec 10 1:29 PM – 4:27 PM

Sun, Dec 15 7:35 PM – 10:23 PM
    Last edited by HeyHeather; 09-29-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Stupid Judy.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I love the Big Front Seat from my trips to Myrtle Beach (was the only direct flight)

I would totally fly Spirit and Frontier if it were just me or maybe me and one other. If you know ahead of time their fee structure, and which seats to book so you're not miserable, it's totally viable.

But with a family of four and flying away for one non-movable week, I simply cannot risk flying on an airline that won't put you on another airline if something goes wrong, and their next flight is 2 days away.

Had Big Front Seats on a red eye Vegas to Michigan. Never again. Never again to both.

"really not that bad." LOLOLOLOL

Feel like I'm living on the edge not booking early bird on Southwest.

Quote Originally Posted by Indyandi View Post
    Had Big Front Seats on a red eye Vegas to Michigan. Never again. Never again to both.

Lol! Continued experiences like these leave me wary. So far JetBlu has done right by us so I'm sticking with them.

Edit: Twice JetBlu upgraded our party to More Leg Rooms seats for free. That was NICE and secured our loyalty. And I love their blue potato chips! And when I say Cranberry when they ask me which drink, they give 2 cans. Now that's service with a smile.
    Last edited by HeyHeather; 09-21-2019 at 11:38 PM.

What was wrong with the seat?

Stupid Judy.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    What was wrong with the seat?
    I found the seat all-around uncomfortable. A lot of it had to do with the angle of the headrest and my height.

I found the seat all-around uncomfortable. A lot of it had to do with the angle of the headrest and my height.
    That sounds more like an anomaly. The issues with Frontier and Spirit are by & large service / flight issues, not actual chair issues. Not that I fly Spirit often but NEVER had problem with the seat itself. It's not much differentthan United Domestic first/business seat (just no separation from coach). Ifyour height was an issue Iíd imagine itís generally an issue regardless. (Iímshort so this is one area Iím FINALLY at an advantage J )