Thread: Covered tap styles

Covered tap styles

At Epcot at 8:15. Lines about 20 people deep. Went to a covered one in typical easy wdw style. CM said to get off that line. That they won’t be opening any of the closed ones because they are under staffed. Interesting. Got on the line right next to a covered one just to be safe.
    Has this happened to anyone else before?
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    I think what you'd want to do is get in the line closest to the covered tapstiles, and in the event they're uncovered, be ready to shoot over there. There's no guarantee they're going to uncover any.

A better strategy might be to get in the line closest to the "breakfast reservations only" line and shoot over as soon as it converts to a general admission line.

Being 20 people back at Epcot is no big deal because you're all going to be held at the internal rope at Spaceship Earth for your 10-minute mandatory auditory assault by people banging on trash cans.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

And as expected they opened one right next to us. But we were on the lookout and grabbed our spot right at the front. Of course we now have to wait at the internal rope

Once a CM told me they weren't going to open a tapstile 3 minutes before they opened it. They did not give a reason and didn't tell me to go elsewhere, though. And I kept an eye on it like Mr. Fred

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    Had something similar happen on our recent trip. Think this was at Epcot as well. In our case, there was no cover on the tap style and we were first in line. There were several people in line at the tap style to the right and a CM was there. She eventually fired up the tap style to the right but nothing was happening with ours. My DD was telling me "Mom, this one isn't working. It's not open." I kept telling her, it's uncovered. It will open. But, in true teenager fashion, she insisted it wasn't. Then the CM said that there was no guarantee it would open and I grudgingly moved over to the right (still close to the front of the line). There was a man in front of us that was laughing about this exchange and when we moved over he was like "Gonna be hard to live that one down!". Just seconds after we moved over to the other line, a CM came over and fired up the tap styles where we had been standing. I quickly moved over and said "BOOM! I was right!" The guy just started laughing.
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

Just want to add a note here for a related aspect of tapstiles. AS YOU ALL KNOW, each stanchion has 2 sets of 2 Mickey-heads and each set should have its own line. At some point during the pre-RD line-up, CMs will tell you to make 2 distinct lines. But if you get there before that, and see just just one line heading back from the front, you can go right up to the front of where the "second" line should be! I did that at AK last year and was one of the first to get through.
    Nov 2019-W&D 10K (Pop); Aug 2019-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Feb 2019-Festival of the Arts (POFQ); Nov 2018-40th Birthday Trip (Pop); Aug 2018-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil), Nov 2017-Wine & Dine 5K (Pop), Aug 2017-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); May 2017-Tinkerbell 10K (Disneyland); Novr 2016-Wine & Dine 10K (POFQ); Aug 2016-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Nov 2015-1st Solo Trip (All-Star Movies); Aug 2015-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Aug 2014-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil)

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post

Being 20 people back at Epcot is no big deal because you're all going to be held at the internal rope at Spaceship Earth for your 10-minute mandatory auditory assault by people banging on trash cans.
    And people in horrible pleated shorts, at that.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    And people in horrible pleated shorts, at that.
    My vision had gone too blurry from the noise to see straight, and I think I blacked out.

Years ago at Hollywood Studios, we lined up near the covered tapstiles. A CM looked at me and told me that I couldn't do that, that I was cutting in line before the other people in line. Even though she was unhappy about it, she opened the line and we tapped and went right in.
    If we would have gotten in the line to the right of the closed tapstile when we arrived, we would have been about 10 people back ....but when the CM told me to leave....we would have been more like 30+ people back.
    I held my ground and she delayed opening for about a minute but I was still in before I would have been if I listened to her.
    Cathy
    Trip Report #1 http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...mber-2015-Trip
    Trip Report #2 http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...-Trip-Report-2
    Trip Report #3
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...I-got-this!!!!

WDW~ May 2009, July/August 2010, September 2013, December 2015, February 2017 & September 2018
    DL~ July/August 2016

WDW reduced their staff resort-wide in late summer (likely into early sept as well). Attendance dropped YoY so this is to reduce cost. Not public, of course, but there were many instances of our trip where it felt like they were just lacking in personnel. I would ask various CM's - most were oblivious or cautious, but a few of the older, jaded CM's confirmed it. Notably less buses en route, front desk at resorts, and housekeeping. Also there were a lot of intermittent ride closures at all of the parks. Felt a LOT more than typical. Most loggers, included Josh, may not have noticed b/c all eyes were on GE and then F&WF, along with MNSSHP.
    Oct 2017 POLY (first time with Family)
    Aug 2018 Pop/YC (split stay)
    Aug 2019 YC (first night at AS-Movies)
    2020 - taking a break unless we win the Powerball!

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J&J's Dad View Post
    WDW reduced their staff resort-wide in late summer (likely into early sept as well). Attendance dropped YoY so this is to reduce cost. Not public, of course, but there were many instances of our trip where it felt like they were just lacking in personnel. I would ask various CM's - most were oblivious or cautious, but a few of the older, jaded CM's confirmed it. Notably less buses en route, front desk at resorts, and housekeeping. Also there were a lot of intermittent ride closures at all of the parks. Felt a LOT more than typical. Most loggers, included Josh, may not have noticed b/c all eyes were on GE and then F&WF, along with MNSSHP.
    I'm pretty sure Josh has been talking about the reduction in staff for quite a while now.
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

Yeah it's the other side of the "lower crowds" coin, which isn't a huge deal until they underestimate the crowds (see WDW Marathon Weekend a couple of years ago) and everything blows up. Opening the first hour or two of Space Mountain or Big Thunder Mtn with only one track going means a much longer wait than expected at rope drop and then it kind of throws off the rest of the touring plan, and there's not really anything you can do about it since you won't know what staffing levels are like until it's too late.