Thread: Tell me about January/Marathon Weekend

Tell me about January/Marathon Weekend

There is a 50/50 chance that we are going to need to push our October trip back to January due to some schedule issues for DS. We've mostly gone in February and October, though we have also been in June a couple times. If we make the switch we would go the week of Jan 5-11 (or 4-10). Though it's a tougher time for me to be away, I like the idea of cooler weather and, outside of the marathon, crowds should be low-ish as almost all schools will go back that week. I know refurbs are common at that time but as it isn't our first or last trip, I'm not too worried about that.

Marathon weekend is the 8-12. How much impact does that have in the parks? Having never been at that time I just don't know what to expect.
    Jen

This is no longer a hypothetical. It is what is happening. Do you think it matters at all if we go Jan 4-10 or 5-11? The 4th there will still be a lot of holiday people I would think, but the 11th is Saturday of marathon weekend.

Looking forward to getting to do DAH for the first time and cooler temps!!
    Jen

We will be there Jan 7 through the 13th and have been there many times in Jan and Feb. The weather can be iffy but generally 70s during the day and 50s or 60s at night. Be sure to bring something warm like a Primaloft jacket or a hooded sweatshirt, maybe even long pants if you're not used to cooler temps. We have been there for the holidays and actually had 28 degrees so be prepared for anything!
    As for crowds I think this is one of the best times of the year. We're able to walk around and enjoy ourselves without being shoulder to shoulder with other folks. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

he's right
    The Half and Full have more of an impact on morning transportation logistics than they do on park crowds---I've been there for both the Princess weekend, and the January Marathon weekend (where I ran the half, and visited the parks after running and for the next two days.) That will matter when it comes to park planning, and it depends on where you are staying.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    The Half and Full have more of an impact on morning transportation logistics than they do on park crowds---I've been there for both the Princess weekend, and the January Marathon weekend (where I ran the half, and visited the parks after running and for the next two days.) That will matter when it comes to park planning, and it depends on where you are staying.
    Thanks! We're staying at Wilderness Lodge. It worked out a little better to do Jan 4-10 (rather than the 5-11th) so we will only be there for the 5k on the 9th and 10k on the 10th. We will be gone before the half and full. I assume the 5 and 10k probably won't affect morning transportation as much? We tentatively have Studios planned for the morning of the 9th and MK on the 10th before our late flight.
    Jen

That's my favorite time to go! No parties to worry about, no hot weather, and lower crowds. Some years were definitely on the cold side at night- watching Fantasmic! with gloves, hats, our heaviest coats- but days were sunny and mild.

I'm going this year around Jan 11-17. My friend is flying down, and I'm meeting her late on the 12th, but am planning on going a day before her and enjoying myself.

Last January was cool in the mornings, but pretty warm and sunny by late morning. This year, it could all change and be colder or even much warmer. Just watch the weather forecast, and bring layers so you can peel them off as the day goes on.

Too bad you won't be there for the marathon, cheering on the runners through Epcot is so much fun! Its crazy to see people who have already showered and are back at the park hanging out and people having a drink while on mile 24.
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

Quote Originally Posted by BSS View Post
    Thanks! We're staying at Wilderness Lodge. It worked out a little better to do Jan 4-10 (rather than the 5-11th) so we will only be there for the 5k on the 9th and 10k on the 10th. We will be gone before the half and full. I assume the 5 and 10k probably won't affect morning transportation as much? We tentatively have Studios planned for the morning of the 9th and MK on the 10th before our late flight.
    Both races start at 5:30am. You should be A-ok for both. 5K is really over before anything even opens, and it's only at Epcot. And not only should the 10k be over already by the time MK opens, but it's also pretty much confined to Epcot, save for a little extra mileage on the roads at the beginning of the race. The only annoying thing you should encounter will be all the runners walking around with their medals on! hahahaha..... And/or runners congesting the food courts at the hotels, eating up all the carbs. But they eat early dinners, like 5pm, and then go to bed early too, like 8-9pm!

Weather is always a crapshoot! Layers for the win. And if by any chance there's a rogue forecast for cold temps, consider bringing/packing your own gloves and hats. Those are the first things to sell out from local stores! And it's kind of miserable to be outdoors walking around WDW in the cold if you're not prepared. And this is coming from a Wisconsin girl! You should still get to enjoy some holiday decor, which is always extra special. Especially the tree at your hotel!
    Tanya

Medals received : 08 WDW Half ~ 10 Princess Half + 10 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 11 WDW Full ~ 11 Wine & Dine Half ~ 12 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 12 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 13 Half + Full = GOOFY ~ 13 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare + C2C ~ 14 January Marathon Volunteer ~ 14 ToT 10 miler ~ 15 DOPEY Challenge ~ 15 Avengers ~ 17 cxld Half ~ 2017 DLParis

Medals pending : 2021 Star Wars, 2023 Glass Slipper + Tink

Thanks all! We are midwesterners, so we are used to weather that is all over the place. We will watch the forecast and plan for a variety of weather. We loved our February visits back in the mid-2000s. I have pictures of shorts/t-shirts and jeand/sweatshirts from the same trips. DS and I both prefer chilly to hot. June and October have been our months for many years now simply because of schedules. We're excited to get back to the cooler times.

We also understand 5pm carb-loading dinners - the boy played soccer at a pretty competitive level until recently so that was the story of every tournament weekend.
    Jen

he's right
    What Tanya said: those two are both short enough that they are more or less over before you need to get anywhere.