Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buffet tips

that's a shame
    If you can afford a WDW vacation, you can afford to tip 20% and shouldn't be questioning the "why...?" You tip because that's what we do in this culture.

Don't be this guy:

Mr. Pink : I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    If you can afford a WDW vacation, you can afford to tip 20% and shouldn't be questioning the "why...?" You tip because that's what we do in this culture.

Don't be this guy:

Mr. Pink : I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
    Exactly. Especially because there are more pressing issues, such as that the girl singin' [The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia] is the one who shot Andy.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how to set my user title myself when no one else could!! magic1106's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFredricksen View Post
    I never understood why the tip was a percentage of the price of the food. If I am at a restaurant and I order a burger for $10 and the person at the next table orders the fish special for $30, why does that person have to tip the same server 3 times what I am tipping? Does the server work harder or differently depending on the cost of each item ordered? Tip should be a flat rate per person.
    Do you tip house keeping? We tip $1 per person per day (because we are 4 people I actually tip $5). Each day I leave out out $5 for the person cleaning the room that day. Should I tip differently if I am in a standard room or one with a water view? The rooms are the same size. The work is the same, but the cost per night is more expensive.
    For this exact reason I have started to base my tips on a per person rate plus one.
    We don’t frequent “high-end” restaurants but we have a local restaurant that we frequent about 2X a week. Most meals are under $20 and they have a $5 drink special daily. Our bill works out to ~$30/person. I usually give $5/person plus an additional $5.
    If we go to a cheaper diner, I still use the $5/person rule as I feel they do the same amount of work.
    If we have complicated orders or order multiple rounds of drinks, I will up that rate.
    I also always try to air on the side of over-tipping.
    If the server is truly horrible/rude and not just new, over-worked, having a bad day, etc., I will tip the normal amount but not necessarily over-tip.
    For Disney TS prices, I would raise the per person rate to be at least 20% plus.