Thread: ďAnd Our Glasses Are Fogging Up Again" August 2019 Trip Report

ďAnd Our Glasses Are Fogging Up Again" August 2019 Trip Report

This is our first summer trip, necessitated because Big Girl's school breaks and Little Girl's school breaks no longer line up. We're managing the heat, enjoying lower crowds, but the big hit of the trip is my retro limited edition Mickey Instant Hard Copy Memory Maker (*not it's real name).

More to come after we get back and settle in.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

I need an instant hard copy memory maker in my life. Looking forward to hearing more.
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    I need an instant hard copy memory maker in my life. Looking forward to hearing more.
    https://us.polaroidoriginals.com/pro...olaroid-camera

The film with the Mickey Borders was a limited run for the 90th birthday and out of stock. But the camera, though expensive, can still be had.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

That's a nice shot of you and the Mouse! Bummer about the film. I have a polaroid, would love to have those borders for our upcoming trip.
    Jen

Just catching up now that I'm back. That's a good find. But people should be aware that since Polaroid itself is our of stock, I'm guessing that the stock available here was produced 6-12 months ago. According to the manufacturer, modern day Polaroid film is best used within 12 months of the production date stamped on the box. Mine were stamped September 2018 and I was happy with the results at the 11 month mark. Also, you can help extend the life by keeping them in the refrigerator (but not freezer)

https://support.polaroidoriginals.co...Originals-film

Finally, I have about 5-6 boxes left over. I'd be willing to part with any portion of them you might want for maybe half-price plus shipping. If not I'll just use them up on whatever. DM me if interested. If you have a trip in the next 6 months and keep them cool and dry I expect they will be fine, though no guarantees.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,

Quote Originally Posted by mgarbowski View Post
    Also, you can help extend the life by keeping them in the refrigerator (but not freezer)
    Woah. That just brought back vivid memories of my childhood from out of nowhere. Thanks for the flashback!

And really cool of you to offer your remaining film. Love this community!

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Time to get this report moving.

Background
    We, being DW, me, Big Girl (now 19) and Little Girl (weeks away from 15 at trip time), have been going regularly for several years during either Presidents' Day week or Easter week (with a couple of Christmas week trips added in when we had APs). But in September 2018 Big Girl started college,and now her school breaks do not align with Little Girl's breaks, so we were left with a choice of Christmas or summer. Christmas week is great as an extra trip for us, but rather hectic for a once-a-year trip. So we chose summer. Among other things, this meant about 18 months between trips, which seemed really long for us. And we knew we'd be in for some heat, more than we are used to in Disney, but maybe also some smaller crowds.

Because Big Girl also took a summer course to complete her Basic Chem requirement, we decide on mid-August, to give her time to finish that. Which still led to a whole thing because the summer term was later than expected, and at some point we realized there was a chance her final exam could be on Day 2 of the trip, and we couldn't get an answer on that seemingly basic bit of scheduling until 2 weeks before the trip. That's long after we could have held off booking, of course, and also of course the exam was on the last possible day, which led to her missing the first 2 days of the trip a bit and having to rebook her flight down. It also led to some last minute rejiggering of plans, but nothing too extreme.

So on Day 1, the three of us said goodbye to Big Girl and were on our way

Day 1 Sunday

The airport and flight experiences were easy and uneventful. In fact better than that. About 15 minutes before boarding Delta starts asking for volunteers to sit in the exit row seats -- the ones they usually sell at a premium. But I have noticed sometimes on flights to Orlando they have trouble filling those because almost everyone is traveling with small children. In fact on some prior flights they put out the same call and I never responded because I did not feel right leaving DW to deal with the girls. But Little Girl is not so little now, and far beyond needing constant parental attention, so my wife told me I should take it for the extra leg room, which I did. I not only got the additional room this also entailed a full upgrade to Delta Comfort, with bigger a seat, earlier boarding group (later Fam!), and better snack choices. But it gets even better. Eventually DW and LG board and end up in the row right in front of me, because though they weren't told until presenting their boarding pass, they too were upgraded, just because. My theory is (1) Delta overpriced the entire Delta Comfort class for this trip and most of those seats were open, and (2) because I had grabbed the exit seat, some algorithm kicked in and we all ended up with free upgrades, or at least their odds became better being 2 instead of 3.
    We arrive, get our bags, and walk to the Hertz area to get our car. We almost always rent a car, even when staying on site. I had received a notification that I could pick any car in a designated row, which I have not always had good experiences with. Sometimes I wish they'd go back to picking a car for me. This one turned out OK, more or less. We want a car with a trunk big enough to hold all our luggage comfortably, but otherwise not too big. We end up picking a Nissan Sentra. I think it was below the class size I paid for, though. We also might have been better advised to spend a little more time checking out the interior, because this car was kind of old, technology-wise. It worked out OK, but only because I remembered to pack a car-lighter-to-USB converter, because the car had no USB ports. It did have an old style earphone jack in the dash, which it proudly labelled an "Ipod Port." Not iPhone, but iPod. Also the vents had a concave sort of design that would have made it hard to use a phone holder that clipped on to the vents, had I remembered to pack one. So that kind of balanced out, I guess.

In any event we drove straight to Animal Kingdom. Previously we would need to stop somewhere to change into warm clothes, but being August we were ready to go. And for the second time (the first was when we walked from the terminal to the rental car area) we were hit with the air you can feel. NY gets muggy. I'm used to humidity. I think the only time I felt it more than I felt it on this trip was the time I flew into Houston in summer. Walking outside was like walking in warm, tepid water. We all wear glasses (only DW has contacts). Almost every time we stepped out of an air conditioned building, or car, our glasses fogged up and we couldn't see for 45 seconds or so.

We just missed a tram, and though we were directed to park pretty far from the gates, we decide to walk. It turns out there is a lot of construction around the entrance area to Animal Kingdom, and it ended up taking us considerably further than expected. But we make it in, and for the first time ever we see DiVine, which was neat. Our first destination is Yak and Yeti. We landed around noon and never stopped to eat lunch. And wow it's hot. We snag a table with some shade, at least, but its kind of oppressive. It never felt it as bad as it did this first day; I guess it just took a little getting used to. I remember when we all went to use the restrooms after lunch before starting on the fun, we each came out and said how refreshing the bathroom AC was.

By then it was about time to use our first FP+ at Kilimanjaro Safari, so we head towards Africa. On the way, we saw Kevin from UP.

I was concerned that a mid-afternoon safari on a very hot day would mean fewer animals, but that was not the case. We saw everything but lions: okapi, wild dogs, ostrich, giraffes, cheetahs, elephants, wildebeests, and more. All of them. So that was very neat. Meanwhile we get a notice that Everest -- our next FP+ is down, so we get anytime FP+ good for anything in the park except the 2 Avatar rides. There's also some threatened rain, but except for some scattered light showers, nothing much develops. Our third FP+ is for Navi River Journey - not a major attraction for us, but we're doing 2 days in AK this trip and FOP was of course not available the day we arrive, so I had grabbed that. We think about using the flexible FP+ on Dinosaur, but we don't want to walk all the way to Dinoland, then back to Pandora, so we opt instead for the Lion King show. We probably didn't even need a FP+ for it, but 40 minutes or so in the AC felt good. Also, before going to the show we had time to stop at Tamu Tamu for refreshments. I got the coconut rum Dole Whip. We had not seen the LK show for 4-5 years at least, so though it hasn't changed it was semi-fresh enough to enjoy. Navi, is well, a dark ride in a boat that doesn't last very long. It nicely filled out an afternoon when we didn't want to work very hard at having fun, but that's about as much as it ever will do for me, I think.

A this point we're done for the afternoon and ready to head to our room at Bay Lake. And it's after 5pm and I haven't gotten a room text yet. This vexes and perplexes me because we also never received a room text on our previous trip. They claimed then that I had never completed the advance check in -- which I never believed -- and for this trip I repeatedly checked and rechecked that I had in fact done the advance check-in. I didn't want to hear that excuse again, even though there's no real downside to not having the text except I have to stop at the front desk.

It turns out the reason on this trip is even dumber, and becomes the first of multiple rough encounters between WDW's tech and IT, and me. Some of those were even my fault, sad to say. But not this one. A few weeks before the trip I posted in the "I'm Just Sayin'" thread about an odd experience I had with the credit card associated with my room. During one of the many times I made sure that I checked in, I decided to check everything closely, and I noticed that under "Hotel Account Charges," it lists a credit card with expiration of 01/19. I was surprised at the time because I was pretty sure I had updated it months earlier. But I hit the Edit button to update it then, and it somehow shows the correct current expiration date of a few years from now. When I revert to the summary page, it again shows the expired date. So I gave up. I figured they had the info but for some reason the summary never updated, and I wasn't going to spend time fixing it. Wrong. The CM at the front desk informs me that I never got a room ready text because there was no valid credit card on the account. I told her about what happened when I tried to update it, and how I had in fact actually updated it months earlier, and she asked where I updated it the first time. Was it in the general account area or the DVC, hotel area? Like I remember. And why aren't all the systems properly integrated? The negative consequences of this were minimal, again, as so many such disappointments at Disney are, but why can't these things just work? It obviously populated to the hotel system for some purposes, because the new correct expiration date was there, sort of, without me typing it in. But the real inexplicable part comes next, when she asks if I want her to update it now. I ask, don't I have to? She says no, it's a DVC stay so it's not required to have a credit card associated with the stay, and I only need to do it if I want the convenience of charging to the room. But if that's the case, I ask, then why would not have a proper card keep me from getting the room ready text and why did I have to visit the front desk? She has no idea, and why would she. None of this is her fault or her department. But I could have been in my room 10-15 minutes sooner if it just worked.

But otherwise, well, the really good news is I had put in a room request through Touring Plans and got the exact one I asked for. I'm very pleased at that, and the room wowed me. We've stayed at Bay Lake before. It's our home resort But previously we were in a studio. I found the Bay Lake 1BR to be enormous. It's not the biggest in the system, but Micah's charts confirm it is about 100 sq ft bigger than any I've been in before.

You can't see the view here, but we had Lake View, and I asked for a room on the side facing south. The foreground is the back of the Contemporary and its pools. Way out, you can see Spaceship Earth, the Epcot fireworks, and Everest. I think it's the best Bay Lake view. I even prefer it to the MK park view, which is dominated by the parking lot asphalt in the foreground. We unpack. Bell services brings our Owners Locker and groceries (for the first time ever they even remembered to bring the dry, the refrigerated, and the frozen in one trip). We relax a bit and decide to monorail around to the Polynesian for dinner at Captain Cooks, and from there take a short visit to the Magic Kingdom for a walk, maybe dessert and an attraction or two. We end up getting ice cream at the parlor on Main Street. There's no available seating outside, so walk thru the Tomorrowland Terrace (closed in prep for the dessert party) all the way to Tomorrowland itself to find a place to sit and eat. Somewhere along the way I had nabbed a 4th FP+ for Jungle Cruise. But when we finish the toll of the ice cream, the day, and the travel, and the heat and the humidity hit us and we decide we're done.

Shame, because it was a gorgeous night, but we know better than to push it. We have almost the entire trip to go. We walk around just a bit of the long way to head out. We did browse our way through the connected shops on Main Street, but that's it. A relaxed walk back to BLT and Day 1 is done.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,

Glad to see you getting the report going. WDW was a major factor in my decision to switch from glasses to contacts. Both the fog factor and 3-D glasses tipped the scales for me. At least you are not a minute by minute planner, or you would have to schedule defogging time into your plan.
    June 2004 ASMO; Dec 2005 POP; Feb 2007 POP; March 2011 POR; March 2014 POR; Feb 2015 BWV; Sept 2015 PVB; Jan 2016 AKV Jambo (kind of); Feb 2016 OKW; Sept 2016 PVB; Feb/March 2017 BWV/PVB; Aug/Sept 2017 BCV; Feb 2018 BLT/CCV

MY TRIP REPORTS

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    I think we were there around the same time. What were your dates again? We were there the 10th-17th. Looking forward to the rest of your report!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jillyb View Post
    I think we were there around the same time. What were your dates again? We were there the 10th-17th. Looking forward to the rest of your report!
    Total overlap on our end. We were there August 11-17.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,

Quote Originally Posted by 3dadknight View Post
    Glad to see you getting the report going. WDW was a major factor in my decision to switch from glasses to contacts. Both the fog factor and 3-D glasses tipped the scales for me. At least you are not a minute by minute planner, or you would have to schedule defogging time into your plan.
    I had contacts from HS to, maybe around 40. It was a surprising development when I dropped them, as I did not realize how much I didn't like wearing them. One year after getting my annual eye checkup, I decided to splurge on a pair of prescription sunglasses which I had never had before. I found myself putting my contacts in less and less often, to the point where I was doing it just once a week so I would no longer be used to them. I realized I had nly been wearing them most of the time so I would have access to sunglasses. I've never regretted it. I think I miss the decreased peripheral vision most, but it's fine. I never had an issue with fogging at WDW until this trip.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,

Day 2 Monday

With Big Girl still in NY tasking her chemistry final, DW, Little Girl and I head over to Epcot. The choice of park is less than fortuitous, as it’s Big Girl’s favorite, but the dining and FP+ plans were made weeks and even months before we knew Big Girl would be late, and it’s hard to move everything around. Fortunately we had a flex day scheduled, so we can make up for it later.
    On the way in to the park I was left to wonder if I was seeing some cross corporate IP confusion:

Apparently it's an actual local company.

We were there for park open but did not aggressively rope drop. In fact we started with something to drink and I used the down time to test the Polaroid.

Then we started with meeting Baymax then Joy and Sadness, both of which are family favorites. We heard that Baymax might not be meeting much longer, so he especially was a priority.

From there we went to use our FP+ at Spaceship Earth. Both DW and I had real trouble seeing the first scene hunting the mammoths. I don’t know if it’s darker or if our late middle aged eyes just cannot adjust to the dark. Little girl had no trouble, so age is very likely a factor, but it does seem unlikely that DW and I would have both start having trouble on the same trip unless maybe they adjusted the lighting. But the rest of the ride was fine, and we moved through time. One odd thing is the camera didn’t recognize that I was there so Little Girl ended up planning a future with a cartoon companion.

After that, we passed some time in Mouse Gears before walking over to our next FP+ at Soarin’. We ended up sitting on one of the side machines, but in the 3 seats closest to the center. This now matters to me more than whether you are in the top, middle or bottom row. The view we had was decent enough, with noticeable distortion, but not so much that it was ridiculous.
    By then it was time to walk over to our first ADR of the trip -- Via Napoli. We’ve never been. We have generally stopped having lunch ADRs, but I figure it’s pizza, which is not really a full heavy meal experience, and it works out. It was a great meal and did not leave us already filed for our dinner later.
    One neat thing was that we had 2 servers, one of whom was being trained. I always like eating in the World Showcase and getting to meet the (usually) younger staff who come over here from their birth country. The young woman who was being trained spent some time chatting with us while we waited for the pizza; you could tell it was practice, but it still worked. She had recently visited NYC to visit her sister which gave her an entry into conversation with us.
    After lunch we continued around the WS. I’ve never seen it so empty. I’m sure others have, but we have not been to Epcot except during a school holiday since Big Girl was 4. The rest of the week was never quite so empty, though lower than we are used to.Epcot on this day, though, was kind of eerie.
    Our last FP+ was for Turtle Talk with Crush. I’m not sure why, except the girls are losing interest in Test Track and Mission Space, and what else you gonna do? We had time to spend, so when we finished the WS walk we walked on to Figment. We toyed with meeting Vanellope and Ralph but the line was not moving fast enough, and it was going to get sketchy if we could fit in what else we needed to do. But we did have time to walk on to Nemo and Friends before hitting Crush. Crush had a somewhat low energy CM host this time, and the show fell just a bit flat for me compared to all the earlier iterations we saw, but it was still fun.
    Now I need to circle back to Big Girl. She’s gotten used to travelling alone, but she hates drama and anxiety. So when I had to rebook her flight to this day, and said her options were to leave at 2, 6 or 8 pm, she chose the last flight, which got in close to 11pm. In fact she would almost certainly have been able to make 6pm no matter what and 2 was a possibility, though it made sense not to book the 2 because he never did find out the exact test schedule until very late. Even the previous week it was possible that the professor would start the day with review before administering the test, but thankfully the class decided they didn’t need that. So the test started early and she was done by maybe 11 or so, and there was a good chance she could make the 2pm. Standby ended being its own drama, but to cut the story short she made the 2pm flight. I will add as a tip that now that many airlines sell super budget tickets for which the person cannot choose a seat, you cannot tell how many seats are left on any given flight. You can look at a flight and the airline will offer you 2 dozen seats to pick from, but some number of those, probably 15-20, are spoken for by people with the budget tickets. They just have not been specifically assigned yet. So you might see 25 open seats but there are only maybe 5 or 6 open spots. But it worked out. DW and I wanted to drive to MCO to pick her up, which had us in early rush hour traffic, but the whole round trip was not bad. We spent maybe 3-4 minutes in the cell phone lot before Big Girl texted to tell us she had deplaned, rode the airport monorail, and was heading to passenger pickup and on which side. Little Girl, stayed back at the room, though she did a bit of shopping at the Contemporary shops, buying small gifts for some of her school friends.
    We ended up with a decent amount of time to relax back in the room before a 7-something ADR at California Grill. It was fortunate that tonight’s dinner is close to our hotel. We had only been there once previously. Though we liked it, DW was not fond of the dessert options back when and waited a few years before going back. To me, CG stands above the other WDW signature dining experiences, with the disclaimer that I have not done Victoria & Albert’s. Some of the other Signatures stand out for specific cuisine, like Tiffens, but CG just does food well,with great atmosphere and the most professional wait staff on property.
    We shared the Cheese and the Charcuterie appetizers, which were great. I had the Filet of Beef for the main course and the Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake for dessert.

It was all delicious and beautiful to look at. I also asked the waiter for a wine recommendation, and he asked me a series of questions before making his recommendation. For all i know he recommends the same 3-4 wines no matter how you answer (though I doubt it), but it is the type of service and attention I don’t quite expect from the other signatures.

And yes, the price is up there. Way up. But, as long as I have the budget, I would rather spend the extra and get a truly wonderful experience than spend a bit less, but still quite a bit, for pretty good. Finally, we were seated in a small room, not the main restaurant space. As you enter the restaurant from the elevator bank you go left, and then that space bends left, and if you keep going you get to this smallish room, probably holds 40 or so people. I do not think it is either the Napa or Sonoma rooms which are available for private events including wedding packages. But it did have a semi-private feel. I enjoyed it more than the main dining area, but I do not know how you could arrange for it. We just lucked into it.

A note on the Polaroids, after today I realized the best way to handle meets was for me to take a Polaroid of the girls with the character, then DW and I could join and let the pros use their own cameras. The photographers seemed way too befuddled with the Polaroid.
    Last edited by mgarbowski; 09-26-2019 at 09:32 PM.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,

Enjoying your trip report! Would love to read another installment if you have time