Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skyliner Worries

Skyliner Worries

I know Josh has joked (maybe it was joking...) about the potential dangers of the upcoming Skyliner transportation system at WDW. I wasn't particularly concerned despite everything I had read.

Then I saw this posted on CNN; it didn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy about the floating bubbles.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/10/ameri...rnd/index.html

Josh = Nostradamus of WDW

that's a shame
    Odds of anything catastrophic happening are very slim. You're probably more likely to get hit by lightning.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

Did you read the article? Someone deliberately cut the cable during the night while it wasn't operating. Those cables are THICK. No one could cut them while it was running without being noticed. There are similar gondolas running all around the world and mishaps are rare. Think about how many people you know who have injured themselves on skiing trips. They all got injured by skiing--not because the ski lift came crashing to the ground.

I'm hoping that if I could stomach the Sandia Peak Skyway: http://www.sandiapeak.com/ that I can handle the skyliner. I really hope that mishaps and injuries are kept to a minimum. I trust Disney's safety check system; hopefully that statement doesn't come back to haunt me.
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

They have no AC. We go in the summer. I doubt I will ever ride one.
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    It appears the SKyliner is a bit similar to the skyride in St Thomas. https://www.paradisepointvi.com/. We were on a DCL cruise last week and rode it. It was pretty hot in St Thomas and the gondola wasn't a sweat box. Other than a bit of acrophobia kicking in, it was a pleasant ride.
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) Disney Institute (Jun 97) CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) FW/VWL (Nov 10) Poly (Mar 11, May 11) BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) SSR (Oct 11) YC (Oct 12) Swan (Oct 13) WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) Pop (Oct 14) POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) CBR (Dec 15) ASMo (Dec 16)

I'm more worried about what it will do to crowds entering Epcot through the Int'l Gateway.. lol
    We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!

that's a shame
    The Skyliner is like Beverly at Club Cool. if you don't want to do it, don't.

I'm more worried about what it will do to crowds entering Epcot through the Int'l Gateway.
    Adios peaceful easy entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilliputian View Post
    Did you read the article? Someone deliberately cut the cable during the night while it wasn't operating. Those cables are THICK. No one could cut them while it was running without being noticed. There are similar gondolas running all around the world and mishaps are rare. Think about how many people you know who have injured themselves on skiing trips. They all got injured by skiing--not because the ski lift came crashing to the ground.
    Of course I read the article. It was posted more as a joke but the reality is that the cable was cut. I'm not expecting any sabotage on the WDW Skyliner; sorry for any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I'm more worried about what it will do to crowds entering Epcot through the Int'l Gateway.. lol
    That was my main thought last year when we stayed at BCV. Every time we walked through the International Gateway I just kept thinking how that small entrance was not going to be able to handle the higher crowds.
    Cindy

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by cboyer View Post
    That was my main thought last year when we stayed at BCV. Every time we walked through the International Gateway I just kept thinking how that small entrance was not going to be able to handle the higher crowds.
    They're doing construction, but I can't visualize how they can expand that area to handle bigger crowds.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    They're doing construction, but I can't visualize how they can expand that area to handle bigger crowds.
    I think the size of the crowds this will generate might be overstated. If this is anything like the Gondola at Telluride (and they look almost identical), this disgorges passengers very slowly, I'd say about a car (six people, realistically) every 20 seconds or so. It's not like there are going to be hundreds streaming out like at a monorail stop.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

I’m not a gondola fan. I would never want to ride these voluntarily. My husband wants to ride one just for the heck of it on our next trip. Hopefully it’ll be our adults only trip and I will have adult beverages just prior.
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    I’m not a gondola fan. I would never want to ride these voluntarily. My husband wants to ride one just for the heck of it on our next trip. Hopefully it’ll be our adults only trip and I will have adult beverages just prior.
    Gondola bar crawl!!
    Tricia

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I think the size of the crowds this will generate might be overstated. If this is anything like the Gondola at Telluride (and they look almost identical), this disgorges passengers very slowly, I'd say about a car (six people, realistically) every 20 seconds or so. It's not like there are going to be hundreds streaming out like at a monorail stop.
    I agree with this. My only concern is how will this area handle the post-IllumiNations (or whatever the new show is called) closing crowds every night, and how it will handle the pre-opening crowd every morning. I think it will bottleneck pretty badly then, but otherwise be just fine during Epcot's normal operating hours.

We'll have to see... but it looks like BW & BC etc will find a more crowded Int'l Gateway once SkyLiner opens.

Gondola Bar Crawl, lol.
    I remember when they used to call it "bar hopping". At some point it was renamed to better reflect the state of participants, crawling
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA

Quote Originally Posted by HeyHeather View Post
    We'll have to see... but it looks like BW & BC etc will find a more crowded Int'l Gateway once SkyLiner opens.

Gondola Bar Crawl, lol.
    I remember when they used to call it "bar hopping". At some point it was renamed to better reflect the state of participants, crawling
    Hop, crawl, I guess bar gondola-ing? Bar flying? Although bar fly has a different connotation!
    Tricia

Quote Originally Posted by beachta1 View Post
    Hop, crawl, I guess bar gondola-ing? Bar flying? Although bar fly has a different connotation!
    Bar-flying! I’m officially calling it bar-flying. Great double meaning
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    Bar-flying! I’m officially calling it bar-flying. Great double meaning
    Inaugural easywdw bar-fly once Riviera opens. Thinking we need shirts that say "feels crowded" or "fill in all available space" with a picture of food on a trash can.

Stop 1: Epcot. Something at France or UK. Maybe an extra stop at Beach Club since its also right outside International Gateway.
    Stop 2: Disney Rivera Resort. Rooftop drink at Topolino or a glass of wine at the poolside bar.
    Stop 3: Caribbean Beach Resort. Banana Cabana!
    Stop 4: Hollywood Studios.
    Stop 5: Pop / AOA. I think a drink at each would be good.

Who is with me?!
    Tricia

Inaugural easywdw bar-fly once Riviera opens. Thinking we need shirts that say "feels crowded" or "fill in all available space" with a picture of food on a trash can.

Stop 1: Epcot. Something at France or UK. Maybe an extra stop at Beach Club since its also right outside International Gateway.
    Stop 2: Disney Rivera Resort. Rooftop drink at Topolino or a glass of wine at the poolside bar.

Who is with me?!
    I'm in

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar

Who is with me?!
    I'm in too!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

Who is with me?!
    This sounds a lot more cumbersome than a simple monorail hop, requires park admission, and features less appealing stops. Other than that, I'm in!

Stupid Judy.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    This sounds a lot more cumbersome than a simple monorail hop, requires park admission, and features less appealing stops. Other than that, I'm in!
    HA! You make it sound so fun :p
    Tricia

HA! You make it sound so fun :p
    Well, despite everything else, if I’m there....

Stupid Judy.

I'm really afraid of what the increased crowds at the International Gateway will do to the popularity of BCV and the relaxing stroll in to the IG and a morning pastry in France. It may put and end to the appeal to me.