Thread: Broken Foot :(

Broken Foot :(

Anyone have any experience with a broken foot on their trip (or something similar)?! Weíre leaving a week from today and I fell this morning, breaking my outer metatarsal. I am in an air cast and devastated! Iíll know more tomorrow when I see ortho. Was thinking maybe one of those knee scooters could work? Am I crazy?! Itís me, DH, DS almost 5 and DD 3.5, plus another family with two boys age 15 and 13. Were in a 2BR villa at BWV for 6 nights and then just the four of us at YC for 4 nights. I was sobbing in the ER when they told me and brought the boot out!!! TYIA!

So sorry to hear about your foot! Could you manuver an ECV instead of a knee scooter? It might be easier for you and less strenous to get around. Good luck!
    Michele

That is a bummer!!! I've seen plenty of people at the parks with a knee scooter. And some of those boots are walking boots, so I'd check with your doc if you can be weight bearing. But if you feel a day of essentially walking on just one leg will be fatiguing I'd just do the scooter.

Oh my friend I've been there exactly! Broke the exact same bone a week before we left 3 years ago. Pray when you see the ortho that they put you in a walking boot. If it's not a bad break you should get one. I rented a an electric scooter and it was great. They deliver right to the hotel. I didn't see many knee scooters then. If you can't use a walking boot that's an option. The dr may make you take a low dose aspirin before you go. You also want to call your resort and ask to be put in a low floor. The electric scooter was a tiny bit of a pain because of the crowds but it didn't ruin the trip.
    I remember being in the emergency room and saying "this can't be broken. I'm going to Disney". Then when I saw them reading the x-ray I heard them mumbling "she's going to disney in a week. Bummer". Let me know what the Dr says when you see him. Good luck!!
    10/88 - Off Site, 5/89 -Off Site, 4/94 - Poly, 5/96 - Swan, 9/99 - Tree House Villas, 3/02 - WL, 3/04 - CR, 11/11 - Poly,
    10/16 - POR

So sorry this happened with such poor timing.
    It seems to me that putting all your weight on one leg all day, and having it all focused on your knee and thigh, which is not how it usually bears weight, for full days of WDW walking, would get very tiresome.
    OTOH I have no experience with a knee scooter and no expertise in this area, and people say they see them in the parks. But I would very much consider an ECV.

If I couldn't walk I would def want to rent a scooter. I'm so sorry that happened to you so close to your trip! I hope it doesn't ruin your WDW vacation.
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

Thanks everyone! Iíve been a blubbering mess and pretty much cried myself to sleep last night lol! Iím going to see the ortho doctor today and will know more after that. I work in a big building with a ton of meetings all over, so Iíll get some practice moving around. I just canít see myself driving a motorized scooter. They terrify me! The good news is, we are DVC so itís not our first or last trip. With work conferences and an earlier girlfriend trip, itís my third visit of the year. Iím okay with a few hours in the park in the morning and then R&R back at the pool - hopefully I can navigate that okay! We werenít planning anything heavy anyway because Iím sure the heat will be awful. Trying to be optimistic!

Quote Originally Posted by BoSoxGal View Post
    Thanks everyone! I’ve been a blubbering mess and pretty much cried myself to sleep last night lol! I’m going to see the ortho doctor today and will know more after that. I work in a big building with a ton of meetings all over, so I’ll get some practice moving around. I just can’t see myself driving a motorized scooter. They terrify me! The good news is, we are DVC so it’s not our first or last trip. With work conferences and an earlier girlfriend trip, it’s my third visit of the year. I’m okay with a few hours in the park in the morning and then R&R back at the pool - hopefully I can navigate that okay! We weren’t planning anything heavy anyway because I’m sure the heat will be awful. Trying to be optimistic!
    Thats the spirit! And a slowed down trip is never a bad thing. Some time at the pool, enjoying a slower pace may be fun! I'm also with you, I'd be a little nervous on the scooter too.
    Tricia

Let us know how the ortho visit goes!
    10/88 - Off Site, 5/89 -Off Site, 4/94 - Poly, 5/96 - Swan, 9/99 - Tree House Villas, 3/02 - WL, 3/04 - CR, 11/11 - Poly,
    10/16 - POR

Let us know how the ortho visit goes! And consider a scooter. When I broke mine we rented one. For the most part I drove it to whatever land we were at, parked it then could walk around and on/off t he rides. It's worth it even to just get from one side of the park to another.
    10/16 - POR

dd broke her foot before a disney trip and was in a cast. we got her a standard transport wc to push her in. I wish I'd told resort tho that we needed a first floor room. It was such a pain at coronado springs to go the distance to the elevator and then around the building to ramp. We learned how really not wc friendly that place was! it worked out well to have the wc because we parked it at times for very short distances but we pushed her or she rolled herself.

Okay... the good news is it is the ďbestĒ kind of break and I donít need surgery. I only need the boot when walking - no cast (phew!). She suggested the motorized scooter or the knee scooter. I test drove the knee one and I like it. Should arrive tomorrow and I can practice at work. I like that I can sit on it too! The doctor said the pool is fine, just not by myself which I donít think will be an issue.

I called disability services and they said I qualify for a pass, so thatís good. My family has been very supportive! We are trying to make the best of it. I was thinking maybe I could have the characters sign my boot!

Iím torn on the motorized scooter. I just canít see myself on it, but worry that I might regret not having one just in case. Idk why but it freaks me out!!

Thanks everyone for the support here too! Itís been a while since Iíve visited and Iím grateful for all of the reassurance and advice!

Oh so sorry to hear that. When life gives you lemons... get an ECV. It's nicer just to be able to do the regular trip with your family but there are some perks with a scooter. My husband had 3 lumbar vertabrae fused together 20 years ago and thankfully is still able to work a physical job, but walking more than a mile is a no. We bought a used scooter on Craigslist just for WDW trips after renting twice. We found these positives to help balance the burden:

Get a cooler rack for the back, very convenient. We haven't dealt with the no ice policy yet, but I'm assuming frozen water bottles will do the job.

Now you won't be tipping over your stroller with bags and stuff, store it all on front/back of scooter.

Spaceship Earth - No line for your family. From Epcot entrance, go up the left side of SE. There's a single door on the side with a wheel chair button. Push it and wait 1-3 minutes, a CM will come and bring you inside and board you onto the ride within 10 minutes.

Most rides you can ride your ECV on the line. Your small children will be happy to take a break and sit with Mommy while waiting on those lines.

You have a seat for Parades and Fireworks :D

Check out the Accessability park schedules, they give specific info about each ride.

Are you flying? When we called Jet Blu the first time we brought scooter down to find out procedure, they upgraded our party to more leg room seats for free, RT.

All in all, it's not too bad. Smile, you can do this. Don't stress your body with a knee-scooter, I think it's too much physical imbalance for the mileage WDW requires.
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA

Some companies can only meet you at the front gate if something goes wrong with the scooter, and others have an agreement with Disney to enter the park. It's worth paying the slight increase for that access. If you have a battery issue etc, they'll come right in switch the scooter out promptly, very good assurance. It's not fun pushing a scooter out to the front and waiting there.

They drop off and receive the scooter right at your resort's front desk. Doesn't need to be the same resort for both.
    They've always been reliable and on time for us.
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA

Quote Originally Posted by HeyHeather View Post
    Some companies can only meet you at the front gate if something goes wrong with the scooter, and others have an agreement with Disney to enter the park. It's worth paying the slight increase for that access. If you have a battery issue etc, they'll come right in switch the scooter out promptly, very good assurance. It's not fun pushing a scooter out to the front and waiting there.

They drop off and receive the scooter right at your resort's front desk. Doesn't need to be the same resort for both.
    They've always been reliable and on time for us.
    Ugh. I think Iím going to do it. I talked to a guy at best price mobility and he was very nice. They also seem to be cheapest. Are there better companies? How does it work with the rides though? I really donít want to walk far if I have to park it. Iím starting to freak out again and get upset. I canít believe this happened!

I have used Walker Mobility & Buena Vista Scooters for my mom & step father on different trips and they were both great. Scooters are a little nerve racking bc you are not used to them but they are life savers for not ruining a trip bc you have over extended yourself on the first few days. Think long term and the benefits it can have. We lived having it for parades. Also it was great for carrying lots of needed stuff. When she felt up to walking we would park it and then do a few things in a close area (think Small World, Peter Pan, etc.) then we would move it to another central area. Good luck and dont worry - this too will be a great trip - just slightly different.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I can't remember who I used but they dropped it right off at the resort. Mine had an issue so they came out and replaced it right away. I'd rent one and if you don't like it return it. They'll come pick it up. It's a lot for your other foot to deal with.
    10/16 - POR

Ugh. I think I’m going to do it. I talked to a guy at best price mobility and he was very nice. They also seem to be cheapest. Are there better companies? How does it work with the rides though? I really don’t want to walk far if I have to park it. I’m starting to freak out again and get upset. I can’t believe this happened!
    I'd definitely recommend renting. What to expect from each ride for procedure/transfer is neatly on this UnderCoverTourist List:
    https://www.undercovertourist.com/bl...s-attractions/

For shows, we usually have no problem to get family seating for all shows. A bonus for you here is that you'll use your lovely soft scooter as a seat, more comfortable than those hard seats. And we didn't need to arrive earlier, mostly 10-15 minutes before showtime (20-30 min for heavy attended shows like everybody else).

Most rides let you drive your scooter right up to the ride and you just transfer right on to the ride. CMs put your scooter in neutral and push it to the exit where it'll be waiting for when you get off. Very easy and efficient, CMs do this constantly and are pros. With your foot in a cast they'll be very sympathetic as usual.

There are only a few rides where you cannot bring ECV on line, like Peter Pan. 90-95% do let you use the EVC.

Companies: We did some shopping around and didn't mind paying a bit extra to have the best experience. Keep in mind to use a company who had "In Park" privilege with WDW to save unnecessary headaches. I'd also suggest a cooler basket for the back, it's not much more $ for the week and is VERY convenient for drinks and saving snacks, etc. We chose a company that also had an upgraded really comfy chair.

Disney has links to their preferred companies here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...s/ecv-rentals/

Buena Vista and Best Price Scooters are both great. I'd take a look to see what add-ons interest you and price them out that way.
    We upgraded to "Captain's Chair" and "Cooler Basket" for our week rental, you just pay those fees once (not everyday). We buy a foam cooler from Walgreens that fits right inside basket. These companies are much cheaper and convenient than using WDW's rentals imho.

Don't sweat it. We took my 75yo MIL with us who had recent knee surgery and rented her a scooter (so we had 2 ECVs including hubby's). It made her trip fabulous as she kept up with us the whole time. If she can drive it without issue, trust me "You'll be fine". :D It isn't much of an inconvenience at all and you'll be surprised when your family has a hard time keeping up with you. Have fun and try not to do too many donuts in the parking lot.

I just found our last receipt:

Best Price Mobility
    For a week it cost us around $150, which included the basket & captain chair. It might cost $200 or so for 10 days.

They were great!

Quote Originally Posted by HeyHeather View Post
    I just found our last receipt:

Best Price Mobility
    For a week it cost us around $150, which included the basket & captain chair. It might cost $200 or so for 10 days.

They were great!
    Awesome! This is so helpful! I brought my knee scooter to work today to test it. It was great, but I can see it being tough for the parks when itís crowded. I chatted with someone from Best Price and he was so nice. Weíll probably go with them. This will definitely be an adventure for sure!

Awesome! This is so helpful! I brought my knee scooter to work today to test it. It was great, but I can see it being tough for the parks when it’s crowded. I chatted with someone from Best Price and he was so nice. We’ll probably go with them. This will definitely be an adventure for sure!
    Looking forward to hearing how it all works out for you!
    Tricia