Thread: AstroWorld Nostalgia conversation!

AstroWorld Nostalgia conversation!

So as not to hijack another thread, I start this one.

I am pleased there are so many folks on here who went to Astroworld.

What do you remember most fondly about that park? What was your first / favorite ride there?

My first year to go there was 1969. I was 7 years old, and not a fan of rollercoasters at that age. I love the boot slide in the kids area, and the Black Dragon was my favorite ride. I was terrified of the double ferris wheel, and never went on that ride.

Later, I love the '60's Mod Shack and the that whole themed area. There was an old ride called the Wagon Wheel that I enjoyed.

My grandmother lived in Houston, and we visited for 2 weeks every year. My parents would buy passes and drop me and my brothers off there 3 or 4 days of our vacation each year. I loved roaming that park alone.

There was a carousel with fantastically jeweled horses, that I would just sit and watch while resting. I love looking and riding that thing.

The first coaster I learned to love was the Dexter Freebish Electric Roller Ride. That became Excalibur in later years.

When I took my kids when they were older, we enjoyed the Texas Cyclone and the Greezed Lightnin'. Never did find XLR-8 very much fun, but that free fall ride in the shape of an 'L' was a great experience!

The last time I went there, my son and I rode Taz's Texas Tornado. It had a great first drop, but the restraints just about squished my son because of the high G forces. Still, it was great fun.

The SWAT ride was the only ride I've ever been on , that I thought might legitimately kill people. It's centripetal force when moving gave me the biggest headache of my life, and honestly I thought it might cause people with undiagnosed aneurysms to pop them. That was a terrible ride.
    1st Trip - Honeymoon! - 1983
    Latest Trip - Bucket List trip with Grandkids - 2014

Count me in! I started going to Astroworld in the late '80s and through the '90s. I think the last time I went was summer of '99.

I was never a huge fan of rollercoasters, but started riding them when I started dating a girl who enjoyed them. (Oh, the things we do for "love.") That's one of the reasons I loved WDW so much - there were so many interesting and amazing rides that were NOT coasters.

My first coaster at Astroworld was Greezed Lightnin', but I (mostly) fondly remember XLR-8, Excalibur, Viper, and (of course) the Texas Cyclone. I really loved Thunder River, too. I still love "roaring rapids" rides.

Mostly I remember how insanely hot it would get, with the heat and humidity.

Greezed Lightnin' was my son's first big coaster. I bribed him on with $10. The start of that ride was the best thing about it. Catapulting 0 to FAST felt like your face was peeling off your skull. My son LOVED it, once he rode it, but he did try to get another $10 for a 2nd ride, even though he was the one pushing to get back in line. LOL.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    I remember a time when Texas Cyclone was rated #1 (in the country?) How did it differ from the other Cyclone knock-offs that sprung up around half a dozen parks across the country?
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Loved Texas Cyclone but it was painful - maybe that's common in wooden coasters. Also loved Greased Lightnin', Bamboo Shoot, and Thunder River. I think I rode Dungeon Drop (big brother to Sky Screamer?) once and, as I screamed, my voice morphed into some crazy octave that sounded like I was possessed. I think XLR-8 had a warning to keep your head back against the head rest and I didn't once - also painful. Good times, good times.
    I can only really remember four or five trips overall and they were usually with groups. I grew up in the suburbs and it was "too much" for us to go into town to go to Astroworld. My husband and I went to a Fright Fest a couple of times and actually had a season pass one year, though I'm not sure we got "value" out of it. Also loved Waterworld!
    There is a lot I don't remember but looking at some of the photos that come up on Google makes me realize how many things at WDW are really similar!
    https://www.retrojunk.com/article/sh...stroworld-pt-1
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/loc...1-13923987.php
    https://themepark.fandom.com/wiki/Six_Flags_AstroWorld

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I remember a time when Texas Cyclone was rated #1 (in the country?) How did it differ from the other Cyclone knock-offs that sprung up around half a dozen parks across the country?
    The Texas Cyclone did not have a mid-ride brake, like other wooden coasters ( Including Coney Island Cyclone). It went fast all through the ride, and because it was wooden, those tight turns you could feel the track moving and groaning under the train. The back seats of the coaster were scary as hell. It bounced and rattled and you were certain it would come off the track at any moment. It also had 12 drops overall along its' course. Before they put in the head restraints, whiplash was a real possibility if you weren't paying attention to the ride. I remember having to actively participate in leaning around the bends and to hold on for dear life to the lap bar.

I had forgotten about Bamboo Shoot and Tidal Wave! Nothing better than walking around with wet shoes all day...

Anyone else ever spend the morning/afternoon at AstroWorld and then an Astros game that night? THAT was a fun day for a teenage boy, I can tell you.

Didn't they also have a Batman stand up coaster if so that was a lot of fun they also had a attraction that if I remember right you got inside a vehicle and it slid down and around until you were looking up at the sky. I also liked the sling shot attraction they had.my aunt still lives in Houston. She is the second living woman that I look up to and respect she really made something out of her life. At the age of 50 I still am proud to call her my aunt.

Late to the party. . .Too sad to think about WDW after our spectacular WDW/cruise to celebrate DD's graduation. Who knows when I will be able to go back. So I avoided all internet distractions about WDW - until today. And I find this Astroworld thread. . .

DD and I were at Astroworld the last day it was open! A day to remember for sure. DH and DS were across the freeway at a Texans game. That empty Astroworld field is so lonely. DD and I have to go to Texas Children's in the med center several times a year - and the annual Boat Show. I always miss Astroworld each time we pass that field.

Quote Originally Posted by 1970mikeh View Post
    Didn't they also have a Batman stand up coaster if so that was a lot of fun they also had a attraction that if I remember right you got inside a vehicle and it slid down and around until you were looking up at the sky. I also liked the sling shot attraction they had.my aunt still lives in Houston. She is the second living woman that I look up to and respect she really made something out of her life. At the age of 50 I still am proud to call her my aunt.
    They did have the Batman stand up coaster. It was marginally painful to ride. My daughter did not remove her earrings, as instructed, and her head slammed against the restraints, causing her posts to puncture her neck behind her ears. Quite the bloody ride. The ride where you ended up on your back, looking at the sky was SkyScreamer. This L-shaped free fall ride was the quietest ride in the park. Most people simply could not scream at the drop, it was too scary. At the end, you just ended up laughing. I figured it was your body's way of releasing tension of the near death experience you just had. That was a great ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfan View Post
    Late to the party. . .Too sad to think about WDW after our spectacular WDW/cruise to celebrate DD's graduation. Who knows when I will be able to go back. So I avoided all internet distractions about WDW - until today. And I find this Astroworld thread. . .

DD and I were at Astroworld the last day it was open! A day to remember for sure. DH and DS were across the freeway at a Texans game. That empty Astroworld field is so lonely. DD and I have to go to Texas Children's in the med center several times a year - and the annual Boat Show. I always miss Astroworld each time we pass that field.
    I would have loved to have been there on the last day. Was it a little melancholy, too? I always feel a little sad when driving by the old site.

Quote Originally Posted by ThemeParkCommando View Post

I would have loved to have been there on the last day. Was it a little melancholy, too? I always feel a little sad when driving by the old site.
    I was surprised how it was business as usual that last day, actually. People were just acting like it would open back up the next day as it always had. DD and I were just taking it all in. I am a lot sad when I drive by the old site. Over the years I have read about a new theme park opening north of town that has never seemed to materialize. Too bad!