Thread: New Permissions Request From WDW App

New Permissions Request From WDW App

85E4046B-93E2-4E16-AD8F-8A9CA4620EDB.jpg

This request just appeared on the WDW app on my iPhone. What do I gain by allowing this? I cannot find any articles on point. I would also like details on how much more privacy I am conceding if I allow it.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

I saw that during our trip a couple weeks ago. I took it to mean they'd be tracking the band just like they already are. I can't imagine any MORE tracking than they already do. For our trip last year they followed us to all 4 parks and slid a 4 parks in 1 day certificate under the door that night.

I take it as they're going to track you through the app (your phone) in a similar way they do the Magicband. You're consenting to the Magicband by buying it and using it, but they have to ask your permission to track you via your phone.
    Jen

Quote Originally Posted by BSS View Post
    I take it as they're going to track you through the app (your phone) in a similar way they do the Magicband. You're consenting to the Magicband by buying it and using it, but they have to ask your permission to track you via your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
    I saw that during our trip a couple weeks ago. I took it to mean they'd be tracking the band just like they already are. I can't imagine any MORE tracking than they already do. For our trip last year they followed us to all 4 parks and slid a 4 parks in 1 day certificate under the door that night.
    Do users get anything out of it that we don't get from having the band on?
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by mgarbowski View Post
    Do users get anything out of it that we don't get from having the band on?
    Not that I noticed
    But, one to ask would be someone who hasn't used a MB and did allow the app the access. Find out if they saw ride photos from the non-tap rides or videos.

I hate letting apps track me when I'm not using them. The request implies, but does not promise, that the Bluetooth connections will only be in the Parks. Nothing here forbids the Mouse from partnering with companies that have BT devices all over the place to track me the other 51 weeks a year. My basic rule is that if you expect any entity - a company, the government , whatever - not to abuse the power to track you, then you are a fool. I wear my MBs at Disney, not all year. There are BT devices all over the damn place. This is a huge, huge difference to me.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,

he's right
    I would not consent to that. I almost never let an app have access to my location or other data when I am not using it. I don't care whether it might give me an extra magic shot in photopass or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    I would not consent to that. I almost never let an app have access to my location or other data when I am not using it. I don't care whether it might give me an extra magic shot in photopass or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgarbowski View Post
    I hate letting apps track me when I'm not using them. The request implies, but does not promise, that the Bluetooth connections will only be in the Parks. Nothing here forbids the Mouse from partnering with companies that have BT devices all over the place to track me the other 51 weeks a year. My basic rule is that if you expect any entity - a company, the government , whatever - not to abuse the power to track you, then you are a fool. I wear my MBs at Disney, not all year. There are BT devices all over the damn place. This is a huge, huge difference to me.
    I always select only while using the app also, anytime that's a choice. It is still a choice, and the way, my MDE is set. So it won't track you if you don't have it open. So I have worries about it tracking at home, for example.
    But I guess I'm a fool (not the first time or the last) I guess since I'm not worried about an entity harming me or abusing anything I am concerned with by tracking me.
    I use only while using the app as a battery saving mechanism. Not for any tracking worries.

It may be related to the games and activities in the app related to Galaxy's Edge, which are supposed to be quite extensive. I do not know whether it's necessary if you also have a magic band; obviously in Disneyland GE, no one had a functioning magic band so the phone was the only way to go. I've heard it's a huge battery drain. It will be interesting to see exactly what is necessary to have the app function in DHS GE; in the absence of any further clarification or instructions to the contrary, I would not give permission unless and until I see a part of the app that just won't work without that turned on.

The other question is whether or not you can turn it off when you are not at the parks. I used to consistently turn off my Bluetooth on my phone because I find it creepy. But once we upgraded to iPhone 6s (and maybe a newer iOS) I don't believe it's ever really off. And I've become (sadly) accustomed to my smartwatch alerting me to new messages. I mean my Instagram ads are eerily tailored to conversations my husband and I have at home sometimes. Convinced we can only limit, not eliminate anymore. Manufactured synchronicity. I'm okay with my levels of paranoia.

I could be for Play Parks (or Parks Play, whichever order is right) to integrate in to MDE
    I hate that app/game and removed it. It crashed or it caused MDE to lock up. Even in DL last December it was a bugger and caused issues with the DL app.
    There is an option to turn Bluetooth Sharing off and on if you go to the Disney World App settings under the Settings on my iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
    I always select only while using the app also, anytime that's a choice. It is still a choice, and the way, my MDE is set. So it won't track you if you don't have it open. So I have worries about it tracking at home, for example.
    But I guess I'm a fool (not the first time or the last) I guess since I'm not worried about an entity harming me or abusing anything I am concerned with by tracking me.
    I use only while using the app as a battery saving mechanism. Not for any tracking worries.
    Angi, sorry if I went too far with the fool remark, but to be fair to me, I did not say you're a fool for not caring if you are tracked. That's a choice I disagree with but it is a reasonable choice. I do think people are fools if they do not assume that any app publisher will abuse their power to track you. By that I mean most entities will do everything the technology allows right up to the very edge of the TOS and sometimes beyond, even when their non-binding terms make it seem like they only use a minimal portions of the capabilities. I still maintain it is foolish to assume otherwise. Here the request implies Disney will only use this at the WDW resort, but it never promises that or actually imposes any limitations on their use of the technology. Now maybe they are only using it in the parks. If that's the case they should say so and not leave me wondering and having to assume their good intentions based on nothing. Further, we never know whether the might hire a new data management head in a year or two who looks at the permission and says "why aren't we using this to the max?" and changes the policy to be more intrusive. But again, to be clear, if you consider all that and decide you don't care, that's your choice as an adult and I won't presume to criticize, and I apologize if I gave a different impression.

Turning to the original issue itself, I have continued to research it and it is hard to find anything on this not written by Disney or simply rewording a press release. It appears this was first introduced in the Disney Land app, which makes sense because of the lack of Magic Bands there. And I have seen indications it will be used to trigger things in Galaxy's Edge, but still I'm not sure why the MBs cannot handle that in WDW. Now perhaps this is meant for WDW visitors who don't have Magic Bands. But then, again, Disney should say so, so everyone else can know they do not need it.

Finally, I did find the place to toggle this on or off in the iPhone settings (which Angi also mentioned). It can be found at Settings->Privacy->Bluetooth Sharing. On my phone the WDW app is the only one that tries to use this feature. I might consider turning it on when we get there and reversing it when we leave. But even apart from privacy there is the battery draining issue. I carry a portable charger with me in the parks but I still don't need my phone battery being drained for something my MB can handle very well. It's just annoying that Disney has no useful info on this topic that says things like "Guests with Magic Bands [can still benefit from or/ do not need this] feature because....." And frankly the fact that they are withholding this info from me just makes me more suspicious. It's just as likely this is the result of poor copy writing but I have no problem assuming negative connotations with respect to organizations that fail to communicate clearly. This is more ranty than usual from me but I'm just tired of endless data breaches and privacy violations, so I say "no" as much as possible.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,

I, personally, am not giving permission to track my phone. I have worked hard over the years to try to maintain some semblance of my privacy. I don't have a problem with other adults making their own choices, just as I make mine.

I'm sure many of you saw this article from the LA Times about how "
    Disney is running the happiest surveillance operation on Earth." I think there is a significant amount of truth there in that Disney does many of the same things for which other companies are getting backlash but, because they do it under the premise of making your happy family vacation dreams come true, they are able to get away with more than Facebook or Google without users pushing back in the same way.

Jen

The difference I see in what Disney is doing and what Google and Facebook did is transparency.
    Disney doesn't hid what they are doing. You agree to use it before hand and they are pretty clear that they are tracking you and watching you.
    Google and Facebook did neither. THAT is where any backlash I have comes from.
    And Disney does make it very easy to turn it off. It's not required to be on or left on when you are home. I am pretty sure you never had a chance to tell Facebook not to track your data.

There's not even a requirement to use MDE to go to Disney World.

When Magic Bands first came out, people were worried about being tracked. Then I read something about a great way it could be used. Imagine Tomorrow Land being packed, so they want to get people to move to other areas. So some people get texts/alerts to their accounts giving them FP+ available for the next 30 minutes at HM or POTC. It gets them to move and redistribute the load.

Of course, it has been years since Magic Bands have been put in place and I haven't heard of them actually doing this. I really have no idea what other benefit of tracking (MB or phone) would give you.
    Maybe interactions with things in the area you are in?
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.