Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Discover card 5% cash back

  1. #1
    that's a shame
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philly burbs
    Posts
    2,121

    Discover card 5% cash back

    The current 5% cash back bonus is restaurants and Paypal. I'm wondering if the popcorn/ice cream/drink stands in the parks are classified as restaurants for charging purposes.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

  2. #2
    wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Northfield, IL
    Posts
    9,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    The current 5% cash back bonus is restaurants and Paypal. I'm wondering if the popcorn/ice cream/drink stands in the parks are classified as restaurants for charging purposes.
    I’m pretty sure all Disney charges, at least with Chase Visa, are classified as “resort/travel,” because we always get the bonus on our Chase Sapphire Reserve card. Ticket sales are “entertainment.”

    Not sure if it’s the same with Discover.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

    Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

    Stupid Judy.

    But Sandy Plankton said...

  3. #3
    that's a shame
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philly burbs
    Posts
    2,121
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I’m pretty sure all Disney charges, at least with Chase Visa, are classified as “resort/travel,” because we always get the bonus on our Chase Sapphire Reserve card. Ticket sales are “entertainment.”

    Not sure if it’s the same with Discover.
    If you charge at a WDW restaurant it's categorized resort/travel?
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

  4. #4
    the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    5,591
    Casey’s through the mobile order came through as dining on my Capital One VISA.

    7EBDEE67-698C-42BA-A9CF-F8EACAF5DFD7.jpg
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

  5. #5
    that's a shame
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philly burbs
    Posts
    2,121
    Yeah, I noticed that Columbia Harbor House, when we mobile ordered, was categorized as food/drink.

    I found this when I googled...

    https://www.disboards.com/threads/ha...dered.3396173/
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

  6. #6
    wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Northfield, IL
    Posts
    9,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Yeah, I noticed that Columbia Harbor House, when we mobile ordered, was categorized as food/drink.

    I found this when I googled...

    https://www.disboards.com/threads/ha...dered.3396173/
    I always charge back to the resort, so it's categorized as a resort charge.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

    Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

    Stupid Judy.

    But Sandy Plankton said...

  7. #7
    Senior Member kmc8826's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,021
    With 5% back on PayPal another option is to get Disney gift cards at BJís with the Discover. Adding another 5% to the already discounted gift cards helps.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    HTX
    Posts
    540
    I checked my Discover card statements from our trip last year and the few places I charged to my Discover (thought there were more!) coded as Restaurants. Specifically, Aloha Isle, Harambe Marketplace, and D-Luxe Burger (Springs). The first two are in parks and run by Disney. Saw similar coding with Tutto Italia in 2016 - which I don't think is run by Disney. So it would seem you have the advantage. If you are still unsure, check after the first day or so as I think even pending charges show the category.

  9. #9
    that's a shame
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philly burbs
    Posts
    2,121
    Quote Originally Posted by geek1997 View Post
    I checked my Discover card statements from our trip last year and the few places I charged to my Discover (thought there were more!) coded as Restaurants. Specifically, Aloha Isle, Harambe Marketplace, and D-Luxe Burger (Springs). The first two are in parks and run by Disney. Saw similar coding with Tutto Italia in 2016 - which I don't think is run by Disney. So it would seem you have the advantage. If you are still unsure, check after the first day or so as I think even pending charges show the category.
    We used it at all WDW quick service and table service restaurants, and thy're all coded as restaurants. Lots of cash back.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •