Thread: Suggestions for an Anniversary Trip

Suggestions for an Anniversary Trip

So excited!!!! Our PVB wait list just came through and my husband and I will be traveling to WDW for our anniversary in December. We have only had one night away together (we've both done individual trips) without the kids since they were born so I feel like this is long overdue.

We have 3 nights in a Poly studio. Late arrival on check in night (leaving after work). Two full days at WDW. And then a morning on departure day (DME departure about 2:30 pm). We will do two dinner ADRs (nights 2 and 3). Otherwise QS and snacks and food booths at Epcot.

We will for sure do a Candlelight Processional package and performance for one of our ADRs. Any suggestions for the 2nd ADR? We are thinking non-signature and will split a meal (because otherwise it just ends up being too much food). I always feel uncomfortable splitting a meal at a signature because the server doesn't know we still plan to tip based on two meals even if we order just one. It's such an awkward position to be in and somehow it feels more awkward at a signature vs standard TS. Maybe that's just me???

Probably not the Christmas party as we plan to go in November with the kids.

What have you enjoyed doing when you go without kids? I would love to hear what everyone else has done, Thanks!

that's a shame
    Dinner in a park or at a resort?

Pizza at Via Napoli is easily shareable. Same with the pasta main courses at Trattoria al Forno. If you like sushi, Kimonos or the sushi place the the Poly.

I also like the patio bar at the Poly for drinks and apps. Brown Derby Lounge has small plates and good drinks.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

We are pretty open, park, resort, or Disney Springs
    We have APs so can park hop as we please

On the day of the CPP we will probably do Epcot, enjoy strolling in world showcase, see all the films, do things we don't usually do with the kids.
    Departure day will be Magic Kingdom since it is close to Poly and easy to get back in time for DME to airport.
    That leaves a totally open day. I guess Rise of the Resistance will be open by then. But I'm not sure we want to battle crowds or early RD on an anniversary trip. And with a short trip I doubt we'd get a FP (if they would even be offering it that soon which probably isn't likely)

I forgot about the patio at Poly, how late are they serving? Our flight gets in at 9:45 pm and it might be nice to stop for a drink and app once at the hotel. But it seems like many things are closed by then.

ETA: I found the hours online. The patio is only open until 11 pm. Trader Sams until midnight. We might give that a try if the bus doesn't take too long.
    Last edited by Anne; 07-18-2019 at 05:36 PM.

The only main tip I can think is to minimize your commuting as much as possible. You have AP's so hopping is a nice perk but with such little time for the two of you to enjoy without the kiddos, I'd just advise to not spend that time waiting for buses, monorails etc. Unless park time is your least weighted variable (because you go often enough?).

If it were me & my wife, I'd lean towards the signatures b/c we wouldn't take our kids there. They re 7 & 5 and not adventurous eaters. So it be very price chicken nuggets and likely an experience too long for their patience. If you're worried about awkwardness with wait staff, just tell them up front your intentions and that you'll "take care" of them as if you ordered two meals.. The staff at those places should also be a bit more refined as well.
    Oct 2017 POLY (first time with Family)
    Aug 2018 Pop/YC (split stay)
    Aug 2019 YC

I know you said you werenít going to do a signature restaurant but my wife and I had an anniversary trip last year and managed to get a California Grill reservation. It was easily one of the nicest dinners Iíve ever had at Disney. The fireworks view while dining along with a few cocktails made for a very magical evening.

I don’t really worry about splitting meals at WDW. If I would do it elsewhere, I’d do it there. I usually tip at a higher percentage when we do this.
    Brandi

We really enjoyed Tiffens on our Anniversary trip. And as someone mentioned above too pricey (for chicken fingers) and adventurous for our kids. And it was a nice relaxing meal. I think I'd pick the park first & then it would be easier to narrow down the restaurant choices. Or Is there a restaurant you haven't tried before?
    ~Stacey

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Darling View Post
    We really enjoyed Tiffens on our Anniversary trip.
    The prix fixe lunch at Tiffins was probably our favorite in a park lunch ever. Great food, quiet/dark atmosphere, great service. And the decor in the restaurant is fascinating.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Maybe I just need to get over my self-consciousness about sharing. California Grill was available so I reserved it. It does have the nostalgia factor, we went there on our honeymoon.

We love Tiffins and have been fortunate that our kids love it too. They eat almost anything and we'll be going with them in November. That got me thinking about Sanaa which I love but haven't been to in years. It always feels like too much added transportation time taking away from rides (kids are all about rides). Another nostalgia choice. It was very new when we went there on a rainy animal kingdom day on our honeymoon. We accidentally got off the bus at Kidani and kind of happened on it which made it all the more delightful.

With only 2.5 days it does make it hard to decide where to put our time. We do have the luxury of lots of park time and rides with the kids in November. So are definitely looking at relaxing non-park options.

Any suggestions for favorite non-park exploring? Anything at Disney Springs worth the transportation time? We are not shoppers, so that isn't a big draw.

I surprised my DW with a carriage ride at Port Orleans on our anniversary a few years back. We've also done a couples massage at Senses at the Grand Floridian. We really enjoyed both of these and they were both something for just the two of us.

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Any suggestions for favorite non-park exploring?
    We enjoy exploring the water in the pool and the lounge chairs by the pool. Relaxing time is good, even for a short trip.

We’re planning an anniversary trip in late October, and I’m trying to avoid over-planning. I actually just booked a room a couple days ago. We’re going to have brunch on Sunday in DS, which will be our only ADR, and I have a loose plan to sample some booths at food and wine in Epcot and try the Nomad Lounge. My goal is just to take it easy and have a good time. It’s funny, it’s a huge departure from our honeymoon, which primarily revolved around golf and wine. I guess the food and wine festival is bringing it back around.
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Maybe I just need to get over my self-consciousness about sharing. California Grill was available so I reserved it. It does have the nostalgia factor, we went there on our honeymoon.

We love Tiffins and have been fortunate that our kids love it too. They eat almost anything and we'll be going with them in November. That got me thinking about Sanaa which I love but haven't been to in years. It always feels like too much added transportation time taking away from rides (kids are all about rides). Another nostalgia choice. It was very new when we went there on a rainy animal kingdom day on our honeymoon. We accidentally got off the bus at Kidani and kind of happened on it which made it all the more delightful.

With only 2.5 days it does make it hard to decide where to put our time. We do have the luxury of lots of park time and rides with the kids in November. So are definitely looking at relaxing non-park options.

Any suggestions for favorite non-park exploring? Anything at Disney Springs worth the transportation time? We are not shoppers, so that isn't a big draw.
    Sanaa is my favorite restaurant on site! My wife's, too. Great food with cool atmosphere. It's a big schlep from Poly, tho. If it were us, paying that premium to be at Poly (aka on monorail) and only for 2.5 days, I can't see us doing anything outside of the monorail options. Otherwise, you could save a bit of money and still stay at a deluxe by going to Yacht Club or Beach Club. You'd still have easy access to Epcot which appears to be your #1 park priority, and you wont feel as bad venturing farther away. We did Poly in 2017 and YC in 2018...gotta say that the rooms were MUCH nicer at YC. Poly needs a good refurb.
    Oct 2017 POLY (first time with Family)
    Aug 2018 Pop/YC (split stay)
    Aug 2019 YC

For a trip without kids, I would probably do a monorail crawl to try the food and drinks at the different lounges... but that may just be me!

If that isn't your style, for a close option, I really like Skipper Canteen in Magic Kingdom.
    www.earsandcheerstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/EarsandCheersTravel

Me (Jenny), DH, DD(12), DS(10), DD(9)

Jan 2014: POR; Nov/Dec 2015: Poly; April 2016: BWV; Sept 2016: DL; March 2017: CBR/CR; Feb 2018: BC; April 2019 GF; Nov/Dec 2019: BC

We tried the private small boat cruises several years ago.

It's a little expensive but you can book a private boat cruise with a view of the MK fireworks or the EPCOT water show. It was quiet and peaceful.