Thread: MNSSHP vs. MK day

MNSSHP vs. MK day

My wife and I are planning a trip to Florida to visit family in mid-August and are thinking of throwing in a couple of days (probably 1 at AK, 1 at MK) at WDW to scratch the itch. Our potential dates line up with the first MNSSHP of the year, which intrigues us immensely because we normally visit in late July/early August. We're both teachers and seeing MK during Halloween and all of the parks during Christmas are both on our WDW bucket list.

We're big on rides, so I'm looking for the most efficient way to get a fair amount done. We know with one day at MK we won't get to do everything, and while we're okay with taking in the ambiance as much as getting in a few rides, we're still looking to get enough done to make it worth our while. Timing-wise, we know that the decorations will be up regardless of whether we go to the party or not, but if you had one MK day, which way would you go:

1. A full day on a non-party day.
    2. A full day on a party day, but no party
    3. Go to the party

Unless HEA is of particular interest, I wouldn't do the non-party day. If the Halloween activities are of particular interest, then you might want to do the party. We have gone in October each of the past few years and always do MNSSHP. I can tell you that in our experience, waits are not appreciably shorter during the party than earlier in the day on a party day. YMMV. If you won't rope drop, though, then the early part of the day is a little less attractive.

I know I didn't answer your question, but there is a lot to consider.
    Jen

I agree, I'd go with a party day, or the party. Which one really depends on what kind of experience you want. The party lines are not the total walk on that they used to be but they aren't terrible (except Mine train and space never get very short), and RD and morning on a party day is relatively uncrowded. On the other hand FP is a lot harder for 4th and beyond on a party day because there are so many fewer distributed with a 6 pm closing, then again for a lot of attractions the FP isn't needed anyway early and late on party days. I think the difference between wait times would be a wash and I'd go with whichever appeals to you more. If you've never done a party then I think I'd personally go with a new experience.

Thank you both. We were already leaning toward the party because it's a new experience, and as with any plan it's about reasonable expectations. The parade, fireworks, and a handful of rides would probably be seen as a successful evening, and any day at MK is better than none.

I would do the party.
    Brandi

If you haven't done MNSSHP, I'd do that! It is awesome! I do know the first parties of the year are likely to sell out, so I wouldn't wait to buy them. Lots of press / social media people are there to get the first pics of the party for the year.
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

We went last year just to the party. We got there for the 4pm entry, had dinner and then toured right up until the end. We did trick-or-treat (got a LOT of candy), but did not see any of the parades or characters etc, we only did rides. We were able to do everything we wanted. Keep in mind there are a few things that are not open so you won't get to do those. Biggest ones missed for us were Monsters Inc and CoP.
    I also think the party is cheaper than a day ticket?
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFredricksen View Post
    We went last year just to the party. We got there for the 4pm entry, had dinner and then toured right up until the end. We did trick-or-treat (got a LOT of candy), but did not see any of the parades or characters etc, we only did rides. We were able to do everything we wanted. Keep in mind there are a few things that are not open so you won't get to do those. Biggest ones missed for us were Monsters Inc and CoP.
    I also think the party is cheaper than a day ticket?
    Thank you for the info, I had forgotten about some attractions not being open. Hopefully we can catch some of them before the party begins. I am thinking we would probably eat a big lunch early afternoon and snack while at MK to maximize touring time.

A party ticket is a little less than a day ticket, which is an additional reason why we're considering the party.

Definitely do the party! As you said, it's already a bucket list thing for you, so seize the opportunity when you can. I think you also might be able to get FP+ for 4-7PM. It's been debated on these forums but worth a try.
    Oct 2017 POLY (first time with Family)
    Aug 2018 Pop/YC (split stay)
    Aug 2019 YC