Thread: Magic Kingdom one day plan

Magic Kingdom one day plan

Help! I am helping friends plan a first visit one day MK plan. Their needs are a little more complicated than what I do with my family so I'm not sure where to start. They will have an infant, 5 and 6 year old boys 45" and 48" and 6 adults. Staying off site. So no mine train FP and not sure I want to have them start the day with the mine train RD crush.

The adults are interested in the mountains but they don't know if the kids will be excited about rollercoasters and drops or not. And it is August so they want a midday break.

I'm thinking start with Josh's 1 day MK plan that starts easy in Fantasyland and gets a lot done standby. Would Peter Pan at RD be reasonable for first timers or still too tricky if they aren't on time? Then see how boys do with barnstormer to judge rollercoaster tolerance?

Then FP mountains for 5 adults and give the kids and mom a FP for something easier nearby that the baby can do too? And get rider swap for the mountain. Then if mom and older boys want to do mountain they can, if kids not up for it no major loss because it wasn't their fast pass?

Then break for lunch. Return in pm for 4th and beyond FPs?

Does this seem like a reasonable strategy? Any other thoughts on how to structure the day?

I haven't used the new electronic version of the swap. I've read different things about the return time. Do I need to plan it's going to be a 1 hr window right after the first group rides? Or are some lasting all day? And the non-riding party doesn't need a FP to get the swap?

Thanks!

For Rider Swap, our experience (last summer, but after they switched to digital) was that the return time was immediately following Party 1. They have 2 different return times based on whether you FP or standby for party 1; standby return window accounting for line length. Return window would be an hour. We did not need FP for Party 2 (and we used it a lot). We did get one "warning" that we would need FP for party 2 "next time" (this was at 7DMT) but we did not. I always had FP for me and littles for something else.

Since they are first timers, I personally wouldn't recommend having them do a crazy rope drop. But if they are determined to get as much done as possible, then maybe PP is a good option. They could always try it knowing if they are not there by X time, then to skip it and move to step 2 of the plan.

I'm not looking at Josh's 1 day plan right now, but as a general rule, whenever possible I try to start the day with rides we don't need RS for and save those rides for FP. This is for a few reasons. 1) No one wants to get up early, fight crowds, and hurry to the first ride only to have to wait (especially if Party 2 is the kids). 2) Getting a RS can sometimes slow you down. Some CM are better/quicker than others, but still if you are dropping something popular, that little bit of time can count. 3) Everything you RS will take you twice as long, if not a little more. You don't necessarily have to use the switch immediately, but within an hour, so it'll mean you really only get half as much done at RD. On the flip side, if you use FP for your RS rides, you can easily plan an alternative for whomever is waiting with the littles.

As far as the mountains, if the kids don't have much/any coaster experience, but want to try, definitely start with Barnstormer. My son (6) found Space to be the scariest mountain (dark and scary theming bother him more than speed or drops), but he still road it twice. Splash, though, not a coaster is a good mountain choice since you can see the only scary part of it from outside. His favorite is 7DMT. Your friends may not be able to get FPes for it, but I was able to move 2 of mine an hour earlier the day before on our previous (July) trip. And since they will be using a swap, they would potentially only need two FPes. Though since neither kid is old enough to sit in a row with no adult, there is another level of complexity there.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll help them come up with a great plan. Good luck.

that's a shame
    It's been a while since we've done PP, but IIRC it's a RD or FP ride, unless you don't mind a long line.

How about something like:

FP's for Space, Buzz, BTMRR

Ride PP
    Splash for those who want to ride it; others ride JC
    HM
    PotC
    BTMRR (FP); others to Carpets and snack
    LM

Lunch
    Use Buzz and Space FP's (time it so they get to Buzz and the end of the FP window); non-riders to people mover or MILF.

I'm not sure where/how you'd fit barnstormer in without lines building up elsewhere.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

I would avoid advising them to RD 7 dwarves. That RD experience is not how you want to start a first visit. PP is doable though. I'd advise them to be there an hour ahead of RD to get photos on Main Street etc. Then that puts them in a good position for the opening show even if they're running a little late. We actually like to watch that before lining up for PP at RD because, by that time, we get to walk the whole queue instead of being routed through the FP line. Maybe not the most efficient but definitely a good first experience. I usually advise first timers to do that, then work their way counterclockwise around Fantasyland skipping Philharmagic & teacups until later. Pretty simple to remember and pretty close to Josh's plan.
    ~Stacey

That is very helpful, thanks everyone!
    I'm glad to hear Peter Pan won't be too difficult to do at RD, it's been several years since we've done it.

This is what I've come up with so far but it has them taking their afternoon break way too late. The Rider swaps really slow things down! But I also want them to get all 3 FP done before the break so they have a chance to look for 4th FP during the break. And if everyone is too tired to come back they haven't left a FP on the table.

Using Josh's 1 day plan and timing as much as possible:

1. Peter Pan 9-9:10
    2. Pooh 9:15-9:25
    Josh has space next but I don't think that would be good for the kids this early in the day so bumping Tomorrowland later
    3. Barnstormer 9:30-9:45
    4. Dumbo 9:47-10:10
    5. BTMRR with FP adults, PoC FP kids 10:25-10:45
    6. BTMRR RS 10:50-11:10
    7. Splash with FP adults, Jungle cruise or carpets FP kids 11:15-11:55
    8. Splash RS 12:00-12:40
    9. Plaza ADR 12:55-2:10
    10. Space with FP adults, Buzz FP kids 2:15-2:40
    11. Space RS 2:45-3:10

Afternoon break (maybe watch the parade as walking out)
    Return in the pm for 4th FP at HM, PoC, Jungle Cruise, Buzz, or Small World depending on preference and what's available

My kids love to play at Dumbo in the waiting area. This schedule doesn't account for that. We don't ever do a fast pass for dumbo, because it bypasses the play area. Also, there is a small play area near Splash for pre-schoolers. Just adding info.

Wow! That was painful. I haven't ever booked FP at 30 days. So much for my plan. The earliest I can get for BTMRR is 1:30 pm (that's about the earliest for splash too) and that was with a lot of gradually bumping earlier. Space isn't available until 4 pm. I was able to move lunch earlier. So I guess it's Standby for Space in the am, and BTMRR and Splash after lunch with FP. Which means they might get stuck back in Frontierland while the parade comes through. I was hoping to get them out before they got blocked by the parade.

There are just 4 adults who want to do Space and they don't think they will need to do rider swap for Space, they are pretty sure the kids won't want to do it.

I think then that I will have those 4 adults split off to do Space standby while the rest are in Fantasyland. The question is where in the plan? Right at RD and skip PP and pooh and join up with the rest at Dumbo and Barnstormer? Or do Space where Josh has it in the plan? He has PP, Pooh, Space, Buzz, then Barnstormer/Dumbo. I'm sort of inclined to RD Space just to try and get the minimal time spent there. I don't think the adults have a major preference on which of the Fantasyland rides they do, they are just mostly interested in Space, Splash, BTMRR.

that's a shame
    If it's any help, our group split up last month to do Space and Pooh. Two of us went to Space; we were at the front of the pack and were on the second car/spaceship. My sister has two little ones, and they were behind the SDMT pack, had to park a stroller, they got on to Pooh right away then went to Dumbo. They were just getting onto Dumbo as we arrived.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Using Josh's 1 day plan and timing as much as possible:

1. Peter Pan 9-9:10
    2. Pooh 9:15-9:25
    Josh has space next but I don't think that would be good for the kids this early in the day so bumping Tomorrowland later
    3. Barnstormer 9:30-9:45
    4. Dumbo 9:47-10:10
    5. BTMRR with FP adults, PoC FP kids 10:25-10:45
    6. BTMRR RS 10:50-11:10
    7. Splash with FP adults, Jungle cruise or carpets FP kids 11:15-11:55
    8. Splash RS 12:00-12:40
    9. Plaza ADR 12:55-2:10
    10. Space with FP adults, Buzz FP kids 2:15-2:40
    11. Space RS 2:45-3:10
    I realize this specific plan is already out the window due to the FP availability. But with a 5 and 6 year old, the timing here is WAY too tight. Something to consider for your revision.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcachofa View Post
    I realize this specific plan is already out the window due to the FP availability. But with a 5 and 6 year old, the timing here is WAY too tight. Something to consider for your revision.
    I think you are absolutely correct. I was in a hurry and just took the times directly off Josh's Cheat sheet 1 day MK plan. But I don't even think my family, who has slightly older kids and is familiar with the parks, would get through quite this quickly. The good news is now that we have BTMRR and Splash after lunch there is more flexibility to pad the time between RD and lunch at 11:50 am. The new plan is:

1. a. Peter Pan kids (if make it before line too long, otherwise skip to step 2) 9:00-9:20
    b. Space 4 adults (meet up with the group wherever they are when done)
    2. Pooh 9:25-9:40
    3. Barnstormer 9:45-10:00
    4. Dumbo plus Dumbo play area if desired 10:00-10:30
    5. Journey of the Little Mermaid 10:35-11:00
    6. Buzz (FP 10:45 am) 11:10-11:25
    If have extra time before ADR can do people mover or Carousel of Progress
    7. Lunch Plaza 11:50 am ADR
    8. a. BTMRR (FP adults 1:30) 1:30-1:50
    b. Pirates FP kids
    9. BTMRR swap 2:00-2:20
    10. a. Splash (FP adults 2:30) 2:30-3:10
    b. Jungle Cruise FP kids
    11. Splash swap 3:20-4:00 (will Parade be past by 3:20? Kids will be stuck on the other side of parade viewing after Jungle Cruise if they decide they want to get back and do the swap)

But getting done at 4 pm means no midday break other than the down time at Plaza for lunch.

I'm wondering if we should bump Big Thunder and Splash to later and just do a midday break after lunch? That decreases the chance of 4th FP. But if they stay until 4 pm I don't see anyone coming back to the park anyway after slogging through the heat from 8 am to 4 pm.

I'm wondering if we should bump Big Thunder and Splash to later and just do a midday break after lunch? That decreases the chance of 4th FP. But if they stay until 4 pm I don't see anyone coming back to the park anyway after slogging through the heat from 8 am to 4 pm.
    I say yes, do the break right after lunch, and don't worry about getting a 4th FP. They might get Monsters or another Dumbo or Barnstormer as a 4th.

The plan looks good. Warn them that the first attraction is sometimes down, prep them with a Plan B, and give advice on not letting it ruin their day.

If this is their only day at all at WDW, then here's food for thought considering their collective ages and the fact that they're first timers.

Good souvenir photo as a permanent tangible keepsake. Town Square Mickey & Minnie, Daring Pals Donald & Goofy, and/or Dashing Pals Daisy & Pluto should appeal to everyone.

Video of kids playing in the Casey Jr Splash N Soak.

PeopleMover or CoP -- great choices -- get them started on a family tradition like we all have.

The new plan is:

1. a. Peter Pan kids (if make it before line too long, otherwise skip to step 2) 9:00-9:20
    b. Space 4 adults (meet up with the group wherever they are when done)
    2. Pooh 9:25-9:40
    3. Barnstormer 9:45-10:00
    4. Dumbo plus Dumbo play area if desired 10:00-10:30
    5. Journey of the Little Mermaid 10:35-11:00
    6. Buzz (FP 10:45 am) 11:10-11:25
    If have extra time before ADR can do people mover or Carousel of Progress
    7. Lunch Plaza 11:50 am ADR
    8. a. BTMRR (FP adults 1:30) 1:30-1:50
    b. Pirates FP kids
    9. BTMRR swap 2:00-2:20
    10. a. Splash (FP adults 2:30) 2:30-3:10
    b. Jungle Cruise FP kids
    11. Splash swap 3:20-4:00 (will Parade be past by 3:20? Kids will be stuck on the other side of parade viewing after Jungle Cruise if they decide they want to get back and do the swap)

But getting done at 4 pm means no midday break other than the down time at Plaza for lunch.

I don't see any time built in for photos, shopping, snacks, or bathroom breaks. Maybe my kids are weird, but at that age, they wouldn't last more than 2 hours without a snack and something to drink, which means they also need bathroom breaks every 2 hours. Also, from our recent trip, we ended up spending a lot of time in various shops just to escape from the heat. Once we were inside though, the kids wanted to look at EVERY thing in the store.

I would ask the parents if they think it's realistic for the kids to return at night even if they have a mid-day break. My kids just would not have made it at that age, so on our MK day we often just stayed until 3 with a sit down lunch somewhere in the middle and then leave after the parade. I know they want to maximize ride time since it's their only day, but no one will have a good time if the kids are overly tired and cranky. Just my 2 cents...
    C

Princess Half Marathon Weekend 2013 BWV * Spring break 2015 BWV * Spring break 2017 BCV * Princess Half Marathon Weekend 2018 POFQ * Star Wars Rival Run Weekend 2019 POFQ * Summer 2019 BWV/BCV

So when we did WDW with my 5 year old we balanced early morning with late nights. Having the stroller for my son was KEY. And while he wasnt always in it, as he got tires we did use it. We did not utilize the midday break as much as I figured but we did not go in August either. We only RD a few days - other ones we did a character meal breakfast and went straight into FP. Perhaps you need to really consider those longer shows in the AC for everyone - Country Bears, Tiki Birds, etc. Those really helped as did an AC meal. He did lot better than I thought and many nights he went til 10. Somedays he napped in the stroller while we waited (parade, ADR, etc). The kids will be excited so it will allow them to push thru. I would think the midday break might be a time zap unless they plan on closing the park and being there for 1 day, I would want to maximizeny MK time. It takes a ton of time to go back and forth.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We did a first trip with a 5 and 7 year old. We also sent adults off to do Space and Splash but the kids did BTMRR after absolutely loving Barnstormer. So I think your plan for rides is perfect. We did not find midday breaks to be super efficient as our kids weren't really able to stay late enough to make it worth it. It was better for us to do a longer break with an earlier exit. They loved the parade so I'm not sure about skipping it? And we didn't stay for fireworks and I have to say they really did not miss it since they didn't know what they were missing. Also it was something that really added to our next trip when they were 8 and 10 and able to handle the later nights better.
    Also we followed Josh's plan almost to the minute and had plenty of time to accomplish all the steps. We did take a longer break at Gaston's after riding Ariel. And also you might want to think about Tom Sawyers Island in the afternoon or while the adults do Splash (or if the kids decide they don't want to do BTMRR) It's a great place for them to let off some steam and get away from the over stimulation....

I talked it over with them and they want a midday break and don't think the boys will want to stand still long enough for the parade. They aren't sure everyone will want to go back after the break so we bumped BTMRR and Splash to 5 and 6 pm as those are the FPs for the people most likely to have stamina to go back. They are off site but not far, Bonnet creek I think?

They don't have high expectations for what they can get done so probably a good thing going in ;-) I was told the boys are thrilled riding the coin operated merry go round at the mall so just being at Magic Kingdom will be a win for everybody.

They will use that first block from park open to lunch for Fantasyland/tomorrowland in the order listed but will modify depending how people feel, crowds, lines, if the kids decide they want characters (maybe swap those in for little mermaid). Flexible with a general framework of what makes the most sense to do first.

Good for them.

Remember, besides the parade, there is the Mickey's Royale Faire or whatever it's called: the castle show. That's a lot of fun for kids, too. A lot of characters and a lot easier to experience than the parade.

Follow up:
    The day went really well! Overall a success and the kids had a great time.

They had a double stroller for the older boys and a single for the baby and at lunch decided they were all in good spirits with plenty of energy so skipped the mid day break and no one melted down.

The baby did cat naps in the stroller and she sent me a picture of him at 5:40 pm smiling away.

They arrived at TTC at 8:00 am with minimal crowds. I don't know if there just weren't that many off site people because of the pm EMHs and the general advice to avoid days with EMH when you can't take advantage of them? They were able to park up front and didn't need to use the tram.

Only 15 minute wait for Peter Pan at RD

A larger group of the adults decided to do Space so they went there with the baby at RD and were able to get a swap at RD and some ride twice. Since it was the first ride of the day they didn't risk offering the 5 and 6 year old a chance to ride Space.

They got through everything on the list before lunch plus people mover and some storybook circus characters.

The boys were named "junior mayors of Main Street" at the Plaza

They did anytime attractions between lunch and the 5 pm BTMRR and that worked out well. Saw FoF parade. Nothing with long waits. Managed to miss the afternoon rain with a Tiki room show.

The boys were totally up for BTMRR and didn't seem afraid of anything!

I could not convince them to use their Splash FP when the line was backed up really far. I had even seen a twitter post about it earlier in the day and sent a foreshadowing text that the line would probably be backed up, but it would move quickly. They saw the line and changed their FP to small world I don't think I've waited more than 20 minutes in FP even when it's backed up over the bridge.

And then they got in a 50 minute posted wait Haunted Mansion queue waiting for the small world return time to open. They estimate they waited about 35 minutes for HM (which is probably longer than they would have waited in the Splash FP line, just saying).

Ended up with a 13 hr day in the park and stopped for dinner on the way back to the rental.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the plan!

ETA: I just got a text from her this morning. The boys were up and in the pool by 8:30 am, full of energy. The adults are glad for a rest day. Lunch and Disney Springs today!

Glad to hear it worked out, even when you were right and they failed to have faith!
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by mgarbowski View Post
    Glad to hear it worked out, even when you were right and they failed to have faith!
    Thanks!
    Today they did AK. Much easier so I didn't post a plan. The boys were fearless and did Everest x 3 at RD. AND they did bugs life (in spite of my warning) and they LOVED IT. The younger one ranked it higher than Everest on his favorites list (probably just to spite me ;-))

I guess I can't always be right.

Only 2 park days but I think they will be back!

Peter Pan, People Mover, Storybook Circus characters, Tiki room, Haunted Mansion, Small World. Junior mayors of Main Street!

IMO, they did all the right things! Thanks for report.