Thread: WDW messing with Epcot

that's a shame

WDW messing with Epcot

I understand the need/want for changes/updates. But don't mess with the fountains. Update them, add lighting effects, but don't remove them.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Okay
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/07/pin-centra...turn-at-epcot/

Is this what you’re talking about?
    Brandi

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    Okay
    I knew you'd understand.

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    https://wdwnt.com/2019/07/pin-centra...turn-at-epcot/

Is this what you’re talking about?
    Yes. I can see changing Innoventions, which is pretty much dead, unused space. But leave the fountains alone.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    The “problem” with Epcot is that, over the years, guests have been conditioned to rush from one headliner to another, and try to experience them multiple times in a day. Disney has responded by building more and more experiences that only last a few minutes. Back in the day, one would spend an hour or two at any given pavilion. Spaceship Earth, ...Imagination, and Living with the Land are some of the only hold-outs from the original concept that remain in more or less their original incarnations, and that, according to Management, has to change. This explains why it seems as if no one on planning boards even know that the films in World Showcase (let alone The American Adventure show) even exist, much less include them in their itineraries. They’re too busy chasing characters and lining up to dine with them, just like in every other corner of the the other parks.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    The “problem” with Epcot is that, over the years, guests have been conditioned to rush from one headliner to another, and try to experience them multiple times in a day. Disney has responded by building more and more experiences that only last a few minutes. Back in the day, one would spend an hour or two at any given pavilion. Spaceship Earth, ...Imagination, and Living with the Land are some of the only hold-outs from the original concept that remain in more or less their original incarnations, and that, according to Management, has to change. This explains why it seems as if no one on planning boards even know that the films in World Showcase (let alone The American Adventure show) even exist, much less include them in their itineraries. They’re too busy chasing characters and lining up to dine with them, just like in every other corner of the the other parks.
    This is an excellent observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    This is an excellent observation.
    In the ‘80s, hitting all the WS films/shows was a major challenge. I also remember happily spending at least two hours at Imagination, between the ride, Magic Journeys, and the truly interesting offering at ImageWorks.

Now I feel like my dad who, with his friends in the early-30s, used to crush tin cans around their shoes and walk around the streets for entertainment and fun.

Stupid Judy.

We spent about an hour in the Seas pavilion on July 4th. We saw a cool dolphin demonstration and saw divers feeding the rays by hand. It was super cool! But a park ticket that day was priced at $139 and I just don’t think the average park-goer (and none of us on here resemble the average park-goer) would find that a good value.

that's a shame
    We spent about an hour in the Seas pavilion on July 4th. We saw a cool dolphin demonstration and saw divers feeding the rays by hand. It was super cool! But a park ticket that day was priced at $139 and I just don’t think the average park-goer (and none of us on here resemble the average park-goer) would find that a good value.
    We really like The Seas. The manatee area is usually interesting; the various tanks in the Crush waiting area, and the aquarium.

We really like The Seas. The manatee area is usually interesting; the various tanks in the Crush waiting area, and the aquarium.
    Us too, but is it “worth” 1-2 hours of a $139 ticket? Not even close. The very best aquariums and zoos in the country charge a fraction of that for much better facilities and experiences.

that's a shame
    Us too, but is it “worth” 1-2 hours of a $139 ticket? Not even close. The very best aquariums and zoos in the country charge a fraction of that for much better facilities and experiences.
    If you're (collective, not you you) in "cram it all in" mode because you have one Epcot day, it's definitely not worth it or doable. We tend to do Epcot in pieces since we're usually staying at BWV.

If you're (collective, not you you) in "cram it all in" mode because you have one Epcot day, it's definitely not worth it or doable. We tend to do Epcot in pieces since we're usually staying at BWV.
    I think, again, you’re approaching it from the perspective of an outlier Park-goer. The average park-goer, I believe, WILL be in “cram it all in” mode because of the cost. And also because that’s what WDW is training its customers to do with planning dining 6-months in advance and figuring out what rides to do 60-days before you arrive. There’s a disincentive to wing it and just soak it in that makes attractions built for that mindset outdated.

And there’s the rub. They’re deciding to go full cram-it-in mode in a park that was originally designed to be something 180 degrees from that. ‘Cause that’s what plays in Peoria.

Stupid Judy.

Thats why we love Epcot. The slower pace to it all. While adding more and more does bring more appeal to most and will likely bring in new crowds for Disney it may lose that aspect to it.

I love that I don't have to overplan my time there. I can just wander and enjoy it. Lingering much longer in various spots. Isn't the new area mostly just getting a revamp though? I thought the new areas weren't necessarily new headliner attractions just a refresh. I have been bad about keeping up with things though. I've been quite busy with life and just now starting to dig back into planning for our upcoming trip in a couple of months.
    Jessica

DS (7) and DS (5)

JUNE 1989: Fort Wilderness and Disney Inn
    MAR 1996: Offsite
    NOV 2014 and 2015: Pop Century
    JUNE 2016: Gaylord Palms/Beach
    NOV 2016: CBR
    DEC 2017 and 2018: Pop Century

It looks like they’re changing the entrance area in front of spaceship earth. It should be really nice when it’s done, but in the meantime will be a real drag. Kind of like when they had a group of singers in front of test track when it was closed for refurbishment.
    Brandi