Thread: MNSSHP transportation

MNSSHP transportation

We always have a rental car. We have never taken the bus. Last year we went to Universal but went to MK just for MNSSHP. Wound up parking really far away from the transportation center and don't want to do that again. In previous years they let us just park where ever we wanted since it was later in the day. Last year we could not get through to close spots even though there were plenty of spots up front.

We are staying at CS. We are going to the MK the morning of the party and will be there early (8am BOG breakfast). I assume we will have a reasonable spot. We always take afternoon breaks (this is the end of August). We have a 4:15 'Ohana ADR for dinner before the party.

The question is how do I plan my travel?
    Do I just drive like I normally would and park far away if they block me getting to the close spots?
    Do we drive in the morning but leave the car there and take the bus back to CS for our afternoon break and then back to MK with monorail to Poly? How much time do I budget for getting back to CS for our break and then again back to to MK (more specifically getting all the way to Poly). I worry that we won't have much time for our break. Probably would be leaving at around 12:45ish. If we need an hour to get back to CS then we are there at 1:45. If we need to leave for Poly an hour early then we need to leave at 3:15. So 1:45 to 3:15 isn't much of a break.
    What about uber or those Minnie things?

Like I said, I know nothing about any transportation, we have never used any of it.
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    I wouldn't drive either way. Even when we've had a rental car, MK is the one park we don't drive to. Your transportation time driving to MK and taking monorail/ferry/bus to MK will almost always be longer than a bus straight to MK.

The bigger issue to me is your itinerary sounds like you'll be spending almost as much time getting to/from the park (or possibly more) as actually taking a break. Our rule of thumb is at least three hours or the break isn't worthwhile.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    I wouldn't drive either way. Even when we've had a rental car, MK is the one park we don't drive to. Your transportation time driving to MK and taking monorail/ferry/bus to MK will almost always be longer than a bus straight to MK.

The bigger issue to me is your itinerary sounds like you'll be spending almost as much time getting to/from the park (or possibly more) as actually taking a break. Our rule of thumb is at least three hours or the break isn't worthwhile.
    We need a break though. With being there before 8am for BOG and staying through midnight for the party, we need a break. We can try and get out earlier but of course can't extend on the other side because of our ADR at Ohana.

The question then stands though, how much time for the bus? We have never taken them and are clueless on this.
    Need time from CS to MK and MK to CS as well as Monorail from MK to Poly.
    How often do these buses run? What time do they start in the morning? Where can I get read up on all the bus stuff?

Why don’t you just drive back for you break then drive and park at Poly for your ADR? You can likely leave your car there while you go to the park.
    Brandi

I agree with parking at the Poly for your ADR. Leaving the car all day isn't a bad idea but the only thing is you'll have to wait for the monorail or boat after the party. We went to MNSSHP 2 years ago and I don't remember waiting long for transportation.
    10/88 - Off Site, 5/89 -Off Site, 4/94 - Poly, 5/96 - Swan, 9/99 - Tree House Villas, 3/02 - WL, 3/04 - CR, 11/11 - Poly,
    10/16 - POR

Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    Why don’t you just drive back for you break then drive and park at Poly for your ADR? You can likely leave your car there while you go to the park.
    I thought for meals they only let you park for 3 hours or so. We would need from 4pm through midnight. Plus from past experience doesn't the monorail stop earlier than midnight on party nights? That means either taking the boat back to the Transportation center and then walking to Poly (which defeats the purpose of not wanting to walk far from the center), or taking the bus from MK to Poly. If I am waiting for a bus at MK, doesn't it make sense to just wait for the one that goes to CS instead of one that goes to Poly and then driving to CS myself?

Am I missing something here?

We always take a break every afternoon and use exclusively Disney transport. We allow an hour each way for the bus, but it almost never takes that long. Can you get out of MK any earlier than 12:45 that morning? Personally, I would rather be headed back more like noon with that early ADR and the long night ahead. We find a break of even an hour to 1 1/2 hours to still be helpful to us. It feels good to sit in the AC and to change clothes in the middle of a hot day. YMMV.

I would drive or bus both ways in the am - your choice. Take a Lyft from CS to Poly for your ADR. Monorail Poly to MK for party. Bus back to CS end of night. Yes, the Lyft will cost you a little (I would plan for $15-ish), but it will save you time and get you directly from resort to resort with ease. A Minnie Van will do the same at a considerably higher price.
    Jen

Quote Originally Posted by MrFredricksen View Post
    I thought for meals they only let you park for 3 hours or so. We would need from 4pm through midnight. Plus from past experience doesn't the monorail stop earlier than midnight on party nights? That means either taking the boat back to the Transportation center and then walking to Poly (which defeats the purpose of not wanting to walk far from the center), or taking the bus from MK to Poly. If I am waiting for a bus at MK, doesn't it make sense to just wait for the one that goes to CS instead of one that goes to Poly and then driving to CS myself?

I’ve never been given a time limit in parking at a resort. Personally, I’d rather save time during the break than at the end of the night, since your break is rather short.
    Brandi

I've never experienced the monorail stopping before midnight on a party night. Between 11 and 12:30 there are a ton of guests leaving the party. They have always had full transportation going to move people out. We've experienced lines backed up at express monorail and they have even diverted those going to TTC to the resort monorail loop to keep things moving. The boat to GF and poly was also running full capacity post-party.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I've never experienced the monorail stopping before midnight on a party night. Between 11 and 12:30 there are a ton of guests leaving the party. They have always had full transportation going to move people out. We've experienced lines backed up at express monorail and they have even diverted those going to TTC to the resort monorail loop to keep things moving. The boat to GF and poly was also running full capacity post-party.
    Interesting. We have left at midnight after evening EMH and the monorail was shut down. Only option back to the TTC was the boat.

You could always just use the bus all day and not have to worry about the car at all. That’s probably the easiest thing to do since you seem most concerned about getting back to your car at the end of night. Also, for me, getting to the TTC at the end of the night is the absolute worst WDW experience. We usually book a dinner at the contemporary resort when we know we’re staying for the fireworks so we can walk to our car at the end of the night. Again, never had a time limit on the parking, and we generally travel at busy times, thanksgiving, Christmas, Mardi Gras break, even if it’s the same week as Presidents Day.
    Brandi

Interesting. We have left at midnight after evening EMH and the monorail was shut down. Only option back to the TTC was the boat.
    The difference is likely volume and possibly maintenance (some days monorail with shortened hours for scheduled maintenance but likely not going to be scheduled on a party night).

When you only have 5 hrs to enjoy the party ticket you paid a lot for, I would guess more people stay to the very end compared to pm EMH where there is more a steady trickle out as the night goes on.

I agree with Brandi, I'd probably just go with the bus after your mid-day break. The mass of people post-party lined up for both the express monorail and boat to TTC is an unpleasant crush. You will likely have a wait for the bus too, but I would expect it to be less unpleasant.

The parties that I have attended had both the express and resort monorails running afterwards. Always take the resort monorail even if you parked at TTC, the line is MUCH shorter.

I would park at Poly for your Ohana ADR and then take the resort monorail back there at the end of the night.
    www.earsandcheerstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/EarsandCheersTravel

Me (Jenny), DH, DD(12), DS(10), DD(9)

Jan 2014: POR; Nov/Dec 2015: Poly; April 2016: BWV; Sept 2016: DL; March 2017: CBR/CR; Feb 2018: BC; April 2019 GF; Nov/Dec 2019: BC