Thread: Best DVC for Disney transportation users

Best DVC for Disney transportation users

So, I'm looking at hotels for next Feb/March 2020. Last Feb, we stayed at SSR and liked it but WOW was it big!!!! The transportation was killing me. We had a car but my DH, being "on vacation", did not want to drive it for RD and it felt like forever getting from our bus stop at the carousel out of the resort to the parks.

Now that I'm older and wiser, I'm looking at some other options. For one, we are definitely not getting a car. Maybe we should look at the Poly or BLT? I've always wanted to try BWV or the Beach Club. (It may be too late for the latter as are looking for a studio and I know those go quickly).

So what is your favorite DVC if you are using Disney Transport? If transport is the ONLY criteria, does it make sense to book a OKW or AK and just Uber the rope drops with the savings? it looks like the poly is $500 more for the week, so we can even afford the Mini-vans. :-)

Thoughts?
    MaryEllen

I should add that I was going to be all logical on this one and calculate out the best travel time averages on the Our Laughing Place calculator but it looks like they had a site design change and the calculator is no more. please correct me if I'm just missing it.
    MaryEllen

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how to set my user title myself when no one else could!! magic1106's Avatar
    I think it depends on your touring plans.
    We stayed at BWV solely because of its proximity to EPCOT and HS. It is much smaller than SSR so getting to buses for the other parks was easier as well.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    For MM-centric trips, BLT and WL. WL has easier bus service than BLT to the other three parks. Their MK bus is so fast, much faster than the boat.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

he's right
    Nothing is close to everything, and most resorts share a stop or two---either internally (OKW and SSR) or with other resorts. In the end, I'm not sure it matters much unless you are going to spend a good chunk of your trip at one particular destination.

That said, of the ones I have stayed at, I like WL for an MK-centric trip (as does George). I like BWV for an EP/DS-centered trip. Honestly, I tend to let my resort dictate my focus, rather than the other way around. That's because I use timeshare exchanges, and don't necessarily have flexibility about where I am staying.

For overall transportation to all parks I wold pick Poly. Monorail/Boat to MK, easy walking distance to TTC for Epcot monorail, and reasonable bus transportation elsewhere. To me it edges out VGF and BLT because of the easy walk to the TTC, especially from the DVC buildings. You can even use the Express monorail if you choose to or from MK and it is faster than the resort monorail without the extra stops.

If you are looking at any one specific park then that answer changes... to BLT (for MK) or BWV/BCV/DRR (in that order, for EP/HS), etc. (yes, I include DRR, because I think the Skyliner will be great... we will see for sure soon enough).

I also give an honorable mention to AKV even though it sounds strange. Yes, it is only bus, but they have very consistent bus transportation and the distance to 3 of the 4 parks is really not too bad.

What we ideally try to do is a split stay where half is near MK and the other half is near EP/HS... then we can plan accordingly and focus on the more convenient parks during that part of the trip. Not everyone likes a split stay, but this is one advantage for sure.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

We like BWV for the proximity to two parks. This year, our owner didn't have enough points for our whole trip, so we were forced to do two days at BLT in front of our BWV stay. I gotta say, I am SO excited for it, and consider it a blessing in disguise. I'm excited to do a few days at MK while we are at BLT (and walk home from HEA!), and then to move to our BWV home for the remainder of our Food & Wine trip. We won't have to ride a bus (or Uber?) except for ONE trip to AK! Of course none of this will be experienced until October, but the more I think about it, the more I like it! Here's hoping... :)

I agree with Micah. My favorite is a split stay BLT/BCV. We have our third time doing this coming up in November except at VGF for the first half just because of availability.

2nd choice is PVB and it might be a contender for first choice if they had reasonable 1 and 2 bedroom options.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
    I also give an honorable mention to AKV even though it sounds strange. Yes, it is only bus, but they have very consistent bus transportation and the distance to 3 of the 4 parks is really not too bad.
    For everywhere but the Magic Kingdom, AKL really is underrated with regards to transportation.

There is another component to consider with regard to transportation, walk time to and from the bus stop. I remember once when we stayed at a GV at AKL, the walk to the room at the end of the day seemed to take forever.
    I am @GrtBigBeautiful on DizTwitter

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
    And honestly the trip to MK is the longest of the four theme parks from most resorts on property. From AKL, the transportation time to MK is about the same as from the All Stars, OKW and SSR. Maybe 3-4 minutes longer than from Coronado (or about the same depending upon internal bus stops), Caribbean Beach, and the Epcot Area resorts.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Thank you for the responses, everyone. We hit all the parks with equal emphasis on MK and EP.
    I would love to do a split stay BWV or BCV and Poly. A mathematical error means I fly out 1 3/4 days after our APs run out (I thought it was just 1 day) Ideally, I'd like to end at the monorail. Unfortunately, the first weekend is Princess 1/2 and all the studios at BWV and BVC are snagged. Is it too optimistic of me to think that one of them may open up at the 7 month mark?
    MaryEllen

Yes - that's also winter break so demand is off the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    Yes - that's also winter break so demand is off the charts.
    Boo... that's what I thought. :-(

Ironically, it looks like the Beach Club is only unavailable on the Sunday when most northern schools should be heading home. C'est La Vie!!!
    MaryEllen

I think it is possible that a night or two will open up at 7 months... since a few owners there will be moving elsewhere. But it would likely be very hard to piece together a full reservation at any specific place.

We just crossed the 7 month mark for late-January (granted a less busy time), and I was able to snag 5 nights at VGF in a Standard Studio for our trip. It wasn't even on my radar since usually VGF is one of the hardest to get into, and as of a few weeks ago the availability wasn't there... but some owners must have cancelled to go elsewhere, so we changed our plans and went for it. Watching at 7 months I saw the same happen at CCV, BWV, and BLT also, but none of them lasted long and then disappeared again.

So, don't give up on it, and be persistent at 7 months... things do open up, and you need to be flexible, check often, and jump on it if you see something. Most of the time the dates don't work out, or the availability is too spotty, but never say never. You could even try a waitlist if you want, but again not likely since others who own there may have already waitlisted the same rooms. The key is having a "plan B" in place you are good with and then being opportunistic from there on what shows up.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

Yeah no harm in checking back but Epcot-Area resorts are the top places to stay for runDisney race weekends. Easy walk back to the room through Epcot after the race, and easy to have family members cheer from downstairs of their room.