Thread: Arrival day FP+, not sure how to book.

Arrival day FP+, not sure how to book.

On our arrival day, we land around 9:30am. With getting bags, rental car and the drive to the hotel, I figure we will be done checking in between 11 and 11:30. We will then have lunch (probably at the hotel), followed by a nap (will be up at 2am to get our flight). Planning on being in Studios between 3:30 and 4. We have a 4:55 Mama Melrose Fantasmic dinner package.
    I am thinking to get my first FP+ for about 3 to 4, figuring it really gives us until 4:15 to get to it. My hope is SDD. Do I have a shot at getting SDD for 3 to 4 booking exactly 60 days in advance?
    But what do I do with FP+ 2 and 3? I can't do Alien or TSM because of the tiers. I worry about RnR or ToT because they are so far from Mama Melrose.
    Kids don't care about seeing any characters.

I was thinking about booking one of them as a throw away before we would even get to the park and just have it expire. This opens up a 4th FP sooner than if we booked that 3rd for after dinner. Do you think we could get a 4th FP for either Alien Spin or TSM so late? What do I do with my other FP+? Also book as a throw away? Is there anything we could possibly book in that time that would allow us to make our MM ADR? How close to my 4:55 ADR will they even let me book a FP? Can I get a 4:00 to 5:00 or does that window need to end before 4:55?

Advice please.
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    I can't speak to availability, but I'd aim for SDD after dinner because you know you'll be in the park at that time. It's possible (maybe likely?) that your room won't be available that early, or that you'll all be so excited that you'd prefer to go to a park anyway. Since you won't be skipping your dinner reservation, you'll be there.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    I can't speak to availability, but I'd aim for SDD after dinner because you know you'll be in the park at that time. It's possible (maybe likely?) that your room won't be available that early, or that you'll all be so excited that you'd prefer to go to a park anyway. Since you won't be skipping your dinner reservation, you'll be there.
    No chance we will go to the park early. It is August. We are never in the parks between 12:30 and 3:30. Too hot.

Definitely book the burner. We do the same on arrival day. Something like Little Mermaid at 9AM (so not to gyp someone out of a "good" FP+).
    Dopey Runner is right, tho. I wouldn't chance missing SDD if you can get it. SDD will be really hard to get at 60 days out, but if you can it'll likely be late anyway. For your If dinner takes 75 min, I'd book FP+ for 330-430 an then (hopefully) SDD or TSM for 545-645. You might have a chance of 4th FP+ for RnR or ToT...also RnR has single rider line as an option too...
    Oct 2017 POLY (first time with Family)
    Aug 2018 Pop/YC (split stay)
    Aug 2019 YC (first night at AS-Movies)
    2020 - taking a break unless we win the Powerball!

I think getting SDD will be tough. I was aiming for the same timeframe on our arrival day in July at exactly 60 days and couldn't get anything. I grabbed TSM, RnR, and ToT, and figure if we're up for it, we'll try SDD just before closing since we don't plan to do Fantasmic.
    Jess

Quote Originally Posted by MrFredricksen View Post
    Do I have a shot at getting SDD for 3 to 4 booking exactly 60 days in advance?
    No

But what do I do with FP+ 2 and 3?
    You can do ToT or RnR or both closer to when you'd see Fantasmic. Otherwise, I agree with booking the burner. Being far from Mama Melrose shouldn't stop you from booking them altogether. I wouldn't let the hope of a 4th FP+ from Toy Story Land stop me from booking at least one or RnR and ToT for a later time. Bird in hand, etc., but you know your party and how important the relative attractions are.

Do you think we could get a 4th FP for either Alien Spin or TSM so late?
    Maybe, depends on crowds and size of your party, but I wouldn't count on it. I would not want to spend my entire dinner on my phone refreshing, either.

How close to my 4:55 ADR will they even let me book a FP? Can I get a 4:00 to 5:00 or does that window need to end before 4:55?
    I don't think there's any overlap issues or restrictions between ADRs and FP+, at least for regular ones made on the website or the app.

I think I'd aim for TSM at 4 and RnR and ToT at 5:30 and 6:30 and consider anything else a bonus.

Is this before GE open and change in tiers? If so I would say 0 chance of SDD at any time at 60 days. There was no availability for SDD in early July at 63 days. Late afternoon/eve times only available at 64 days. After tier changes there's a better chance.

If the park extends hours you might be able to get an end of night FP for SDD, but then you give up any opportunities for 4th FP. And if staying to close I would just follow Josh's pm HS touring plan.

My experience is that HS is the absolute worst park for finding 4th FP. It takes A LOT of refreshing. Of the rides, RnR and Star Tours were the only ones I could get after about 30 minutes of refreshing. None of the TS rides even made a single appearance during that 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Is this before GE open and change in tiers? If so I would say 0 chance of SDD at any time at 60 days. There was no availability for SDD in early July at 63 days. Late afternoon/eve times only available at 64 days. After tier changes there's a better chance.
    This is the Saturday before GE opens and is late August where crowds are typically lower (GE excluded). I am assuming that GE visitors would first be arriving that Saturday (or later), and probably would not be going to studios as they would want to hit the other parks first and do studios on the GE opening days. So I am thinking/hoping that it will be the standard low crowds of late August.