Thread: A value or moderate resort for three adult women?

A value or moderate resort for three adult women?

I've seen this discussed so many times in the past, and can't find any info via the search. I never thought it would happen, but I was talking with a friend about going to WDW in January, and another friend popped up with "I'm in!!!!"

I haven't been to WDW since 2015, but I seem to remember that places with three beds or roomy enough for three not-that-close friends were expensive, like the Poly. I'd like to stay onsite if possible, but with three of us we may have to stay offsite.

We're middle aged (55-68) and would spend most time either at the parks, pool, or eating/drinking.

Any ideas for a way to make a threesome of older ladies work in a value/mod resort? Or a cheap-ish alternative?

he's right
    I would not be excited about the idea of sharing a bed, but that's just me. If that's also you, two rooms in a Value would probably be the most affordable way to do this onsite. It's possible that a Ft. Wilderness cabin could work, too, assuming the twins in the bunk are long enough.

that's a shame
    I think a value would be too small for three adults, unless you book a family suite at Animation. That'll give you three beds, the master, a sofabed and the dining room table bed.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

I'd suggest renting points for DVC. You can do it through an individual member or through a rental website. With three of you paying it should be affordable and you can still have accommodations large enough for all of you.

Thanks- I definitely do NOT want to share a bed and the idea of sofa beds seems pretty dismal to me. I guess trying to rent points might work- but it still will take it out of the 'budget' range. Maybe offsite (which I really don't want to do) is the way to go. We want to enjoy dinner with some wine, I'm sure, and don't want to drive.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenae View Post
    Thanks- I definitely do NOT want to share a bed and the idea of sofa beds seems pretty dismal to me. I guess trying to rent points might work- but it still will take it out of the 'budget' range. Maybe offsite (which I really don't want to do) is the way to go. We want to enjoy dinner with some wine, I'm sure, and don't want to drive.
    I might be wrong, but in order to get three separate actual beds through DVC, I think you'd need to look at a 2 BR. Adjoining value rooms would probably be a lot less expensive. Since you're not planning on spending much time in the room anyway, that might be your best bet. Adjoining rooms at a moderate would be more expensive, but the pool areas will be a lot nicer than you'll find at a value.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    I might be wrong, but in order to get three separate actual beds through DVC, I think you'd need to look at a 2 BR. Adjoining value rooms would probably be a lot less expensive. Since you're not planning on spending much time in the room anyway, that might be your best bet. Adjoining rooms at a moderate would be more expensive, but the pool areas will be a lot nicer than you'll find at a value.
    A DVC one b/r would have a master b/r (one king) and a sofabed in the living room.

I like the adjoining value or moderate idea. Two bathrooms.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

Good point about two value rooms- the extra space and of course the bathroom bonus!

Depending on the price season and resort, a 2 bedroom DVC via points rental might not be that much more than 2 adjoining moderate rooms.

My first choice in this situation would be points rental for 2 adjoining studios at Poly. Although that still has 1 person on a pull out couch. But honesty they aren't bad to sleep on. I'd take a DVC pull out couch bed over staying value or moderate in a regular bed or staying off site.

he's right
    Maybe offsite (which I really don't want to do) is the way to go. We want to enjoy dinner with some wine, I'm sure, and don't want to drive.
    Have you ever done it before? You might really like it. I know I have in the past. You can always take an uber/lyft/taxi if you are planning to imbibe.

I haven't stayed offsite in a long, long time. Maybe 25 years(?). I guess we could do that. I'd really like the freedom to go to Disney Springs and/or back to the park in the evenings, though. I bet it would be so much cheaper to stay offsite. We'd be driving over, but I have a HUGE pickup that drives like an aircraft carrier so I would definitely not want to try to park in tiny little places anyway. And I know parking is expensive.

Ok, my truck not really that big- but it does drive like an aircraft carrier with almost no turning radius. We could park at our hotel, or even an airbnb, and just uber I guess. That would free up some money, saving on parking and a hotel. I know that everyone understands that I still may want to be in the magic!

he's right
    In general, there are three things one might want in WDW vacation lodging:

1: To be onsite
    2: To have a reasonable amount of space
    3: To spend a reasonable amount of money

For most people (and most definitions of "reasonable") it is hard to do all three of these at the same time. So, it becomes an exercise in deciding which of the three you are most willing to sacrifice on.

I stayed at POP with two other adult women, never again. You need more space!!
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    It's possible that a Ft. Wilderness cabin could work, too, assuming the twins in the bunk are long enough.
    This is a good option if you like the rustic theme. I have a soft spot for Ft. Wilderness due to childhood memories and I'd be happy to stay in a cabin with 2 not-that-close friends.

I've slept in both the bed and the top bunk and both were very comfortable. But I'm 5'4" so I had no issues with length on the bunk. It's 3 different beds but all in 1 room. I might even be inclined to do the pullout couch in the living room just to have some space.

You might also consider bunk bed rooms at WL or AKL for the same 3 separate beds in 1 room. While deluxe, those rooms are often less expensive than 2 moderate rooms. But you have to have an adult comfortable climbing in and out of the top bunk.

I'd do a room at a value with the friend you originally planned to travel with. The friend who asked to join in can get her own room at the same value and ask for either connecting or adjoining rooms. Or do the same thing with a room at a moderate, if that's what would have been your original plan.
    Last edited by ChristineOH; 06-18-2019 at 10:23 AM.
    June 2011 Poly, May 2013 POR, June 2015 CBR, June 2017 POR, March 2018 CSR, June 2018 POR

How long is the trip? As a family of 8, we usually stay off-site, but our criteria is that it needs to be a trip of at least 3 or 4 nights to be worth staying off-site. On short trips, we can suffer in smaller spaces, and we feel like we're losing too much time off-site (even though Windsor Hills is close enough that the time savings are negligible). You could definitely find something that you could each have your own room and possibly even your own bathroom and pool for less than anything you'd get on-site. Plus you'd have a good kitchen for easy breakfasts and snacks.

How about the hotels near Disney Springs? Doubletree Hotel has one bedroom with two queens and living room with sofa bed. You could take turns sleeping on sofa bed or have the 3rd friend stay in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerpat View Post
    How about the hotels near Disney Springs? Doubletree Hotel has one bedroom with two queens and living room with sofa bed. You could take turns sleeping on sofa bed or have the 3rd friend stay in there!
    Or two rooms at the Doubletree--which might be less than two rooms at a value with better proximity to places with good drinks/wine!
    1/07 POFQ1/09 offsite1/11 POP/AKL1/13 BWV9/14 F&W@BWV12/14 Girls only@BCV8/15 POP10/16 F&W@BWV 6/18 DD16th@AKV 8/19 Girls only@AKV

Hoping to someday be as patient as Kanga . . .

I’d concur with doing adjoining rooms at a value. We did this with my SIL and her husband at Pop once, it worked out well.
    Brandi

I was thinking of maybe choosing a Disney Springs hotel, but our trip is in January/February.
    Reading Mousesavers, it says:

Through December 31, 2019, the Disney Springs area hotels give guests access to 60-day advance Disney FastPass+ reservations. All MouseSavers Preferred Disney Springs area hotels are participating.
    Through December 31, 2019, guests of the Disney Springs area hotels can also participate in Disney’s Extra Magic Hours.

Does this mean that it will change after December 31? That would be a definite downside for the trip and a reason to go with a value, or else a real cheap-o place where we can uber from.

According to this article, the benefits have been extended through 2020.

https://yourfirstvisit.net/2017/12/1...-day-fastpass/

Hooray!

One friend (who doesn't live nearby) came over to visit and we decided that two rooms at a Value is the way to go. Of course, now I want to stay at the Doubletree..............:)

There are two others who now say they want to come, but not for four days, blah blah, so I'm going to make the reservation for just two of us, and let them make the decision in the next week or so.

We're looking at January 13-18ish, and that seems to be a good time.

All-star music is the cheapest, but I've never stayed there. I've most recently stayed at the Pop Century, and that was fine.

And..............I wavered again. I'm sorry I'm driving you all crazy- I'm driving myself crazy.

My son is active duty military, but currently deployed and I have no idea when he'll be able to go to WDW with me after December. So he's not currently part of the plan, except I did look at Shades of Green when that was one of our thoughts post- deployment.

Anyway, I just found out that veterans can book SOG in September and January, paying more than the military, but still at a good price.

The good part? It's a much nicer resort, walking distance to the Poly for monorail access if we want it, and it would sleep 3! Two queens and a sofa bed. Not super for the one on the sofa bed, but still possible, and parking is $9/night. So our total, with taxes and fees, would be $175/night. Not great for one person, ok for two, but pretty darn good for three!

Now I'm not sure what we should do, so I'm leaving it up to the other ladies!

And..............I wavered again. I'm sorry I'm driving you all crazy- I'm driving myself crazy.

My son is active duty military, but currently deployed and I have no idea when he'll be able to go to WDW with me after December. So he's not currently part of the plan, except I did look at Shades of Green when that was one of our thoughts post- deployment.

Anyway, I just found out that veterans can book SOG in September and January, paying more than the military, but still at a good price.

The good part? It's a much nicer resort, walking distance to the Poly for monorail access if we want it, and it would sleep 3! Two queens and a sofa bed. Not super for the one on the sofa bed, but still possible, and parking is $9/night. So our total, with taxes and fees, would be $175/night. Not great for one person, ok for two, but pretty darn good for three!

Now I'm not sure what we should do, so I'm leaving it up to the other ladies!
    I'd absolutely go with SOG for that price on an all adult trip. The "theme" is probably more tranquil than a value. It is amazingly convenient to Poly and TTC and the monorail.

Shades of Green sounds like the way to go. Keep us posted!
    June 2011 Poly, May 2013 POR, June 2015 CBR, June 2017 POR, March 2018 CSR, June 2018 POR