Thread: Minnie Van or Uber or walk

Minnie Van or Uber or walk

We will need to get to HS EMM from YC in July. I like to be early to RD - real early. I have never been to an EMM event, but I want to be there real early too. Don't want to waste money at the back of the crowd. After some research, I am too afraid to rely on the bus and who knows if the boats run that early.

Should we just walk? The sun seems to rise pretty early in Orlando in the summer. But it will just be DD and I, so I am a little apprehensive about walking alone that early.

Are Minnie vans reliable? Uber? I've only used Uber once.

Thoughts?

I don't really have anything to add. I just noticed I have 999 posts. So I thought that I would make it an even 1,000.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    It’s probably personal preference. When you factor in waiting for the Uber and walking to/from the car itself it’s orobably a toss up in terms of total time. That path will be totally safe though, no need to be apprehensive.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

I just walked from Beach club to EMM in April with my 2 boys ages 6 and 8. It was light out and completely safe. There were no boats at that time, we saw them coming down the canal towards the resorts but none going towards the park the whole time we were walking. I didn't check the app to see if there were buses since we planned to walk regardless. It's a nice peaceful walk in the morning. We met some friendly cast members along the way. One was concerned about "how far" we had to walk and double checked we knew the diections which I thought was really sweet. But it feels like half the walk is from the bus stops now that they've been moved 100 miles from the entrance ;-)

I like the control of walking. But I'd use a Minnie Van too if you feel it's farther than you want to walk first thing. They start at 6 or 6:30 am, I can't recall exactly. But early enough to get you there in plenty of time. Uber/lyft are fine too, and cheaper.

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfan View Post
    But it will just be DD and I, so I am a little apprehensive about walking alone that early.
    There's something contradictory about this sentence.

In order of preference:

1. Walk
    2. Uber

We've walked from BWV to DHS pretty early numerous times, never any issues.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

I would walk too. We have taken Lyft/Uber many times down there, but this isn't a scenario I would likely do... the walk is a nice one.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

I think you are fine to walk and that is what I would do from YC. Minnie Vans begin at 6:30am. We did the EMM at HS in October and arrived about 6:30am (via Lyft) for our 7am time. There were only about 6 other people there at that time.
    Jen

Walk. Take you 15 min at most. It's less than a mile.

From YC I would expect more like 20 minutes (1.1 mi), depending on how fast you walk of course.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

I wrote down exact times for us, walking with younger kids (and one with motor delays) takes us a little longer. Think of us as your "worst case scenario" on timing.
    6:40 am left our Beach Club room (Yacht is slightly closer)
    7:06 am through security and checking in for EMM

Defintely safe to walk. How old is DD? That will play into how fast and how "alone" you might feel, but I would say it's quite safe. Bummer the boats aren't running yet.
    Uber/lyft could take a while to arrive. So early, supply is short. that is biggest crap shoot. However there is often a "regular" taxi outside the lobby almost 24/7. Even if more $.
    Also, can't hurt to ask the concierge the day before. They once provided a golf cart transport (free) from Poly to GF for my parents. If DD is young enough, maybe they will help you out too :-)
    Oct 2017 POLY (first time with Family)
    Aug 2018 Pop/YC (split stay)
    Aug 2019 YC

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfan View Post
    I don't really have anything to add. I just noticed I have 999 posts. So I thought that I would make it an even 1,000.
    Congrats!
    Oct 2017 POLY (first time with Family)
    Aug 2018 Pop/YC (split stay)
    Aug 2019 YC

Quote Originally Posted by J&J's Dad View Post
    Defintely safe to walk. How old is DD? That will play into how fast and how "alone" you might feel, but I would say it's quite safe. Bummer the boats aren't running yet.
    Uber/lyft could take a while to arrive. So early, supply is short. that is biggest crap shoot. However there is often a "regular" taxi outside the lobby almost 24/7. Even if more $.
    Also, can't hurt to ask the concierge the day before. They once provided a golf cart transport (free) from Poly to GF for my parents. If DD is young enough, maybe they will help you out too :-)
    Before Minnie Van and Rideshare were around we had a taxi refuse us from HS to BWI. Said it was too short
    It was raining and we didn't want to walk and were in a hurry and didn't want to wait on a boat (had a meal or something, been a few years now)

I didn't think buses were an option. The boats don't run early enough. We always walk. The only possible concern is that you will be walking along a path near water. If you are walking with a infant, toddler, or pre-schooler that you are concerned would run away from you to see the sights, I would bring them in a stroller.

Quote Originally Posted by ptlohmysoul View Post
    I didn't think buses were an option. The boats don't run early enough. We always walk. The only possible concern is that you will be walking along a path near water. If you are walking with a infant, toddler, or pre-schooler that you are concerned would run away from you to see the sights, I would bring them in a stroller.
    Correct no buses unless boats get shut down by weather and then they often have such a delay the weather has cleared by the time they get buses running

Quote Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
    Correct no buses unless boats get shut down by weather and then they often have such a delay the weather has cleared by the time they get buses running
    I thought Disney ran early morning buses whenever there was an early opening, early morning event (like EMM) , or PPO breakfasts for any resort with boat or monorail not running in time for the early events. Is that not always the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I thought Disney ran early morning buses whenever there was an early opening, early morning event (like EMM) , or PPO breakfasts for any resort with boat or monorail not running in time for the early events. Is that not always the case?
    A couple weeks back, I called YC directly. They had said there would be a bus, but to talk to the concierge when we arrived. But you know Disney. If I called 10 times, I would probably get 10 different answers.

DD is 18. I will be the one holding up the show. So Anne, it might be the other way around. I might be the worst case scenario. I used to be a fast walker. Now, not so much. I am working on the problem this summer.

Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
    From YC I would expect more like 20 minutes (1.1 mi), depending on how fast you walk of course.
    Thank you for this info. I will time myself on my walking route here at home to get a timing estimate for my pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    There's something contradictory about this sentence.
    You have a point. There was another problem. I think I should have said, "But it will just be DD and me."

that's a shame
    Google maps says 1.0 miles, 20 minutes.

If you're concerned about being isolated on the walk, don't be. There are (almost) always people out early, getting in their morning runs, and you'll also see people headed to DHS like you.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    No idea but yes, if there is NO boat offered, there is a bus offered. I have never bothered to take a boat to the early event, we walk. So I've never bothered to find the time

I walked by myself last year in July when Toy Story opened and they did the early hours. I was a little leary going myself but there were people out and I paid attention to my surroundings, walked with a purpose, no ear buds in, and closer to the road/water.
    Karin
    Visiting off and on since the 70's
    And since finding this site in 2013, never go without my ​Easy Guide

Iíve been for solo pre-dawn runs in the YC/BC/BW area (including as far as DHS and back) and itís well lit and I saw other runners as well as maintenance workers out and about. I never felt unsafe.

I would walk.
    Link to June 2018 Trip Report:
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...d=1#post419048

1997 CBR, 2004 ASMo, 2005 CBR
    2007 Pop x 2, 2008 ASMu, 2009 Pop
    2010 ASMu, 2013 CBR, 2016 CSR
    2018 Windsor Palms