Thread: Favorite "healthier" quick service options or cheaper TS options

Favorite "healthier" quick service options or cheaper TS options

We are going to try a different strategy next trip. We've done mostly TS in the past but it's getting repetitive, the quality is decreasing, the price is going up, it takes a lot of time, and the kids are less into the character meals as they get older.

I don't have lots of QS experience and am wondering what people have for favorites, either venue or specific items. Especially if we are trying hard not to overindulge. Salads are especially hard because:
    a. variability in quality and it's hard to know if the QS salad you order is going to be fresh and full of veggies or just limp ice burg.
    b. sometimes salads have so much junk on them they end high calorie anyway

The tough part is it will be Thanksgiving week. The one benefit of TS is at least you have a guaranteed ADR time and table and air conditioning. So we'd be interested in the value TS options as well. For sure we will do BoG lunch.

I'd count on mobile order but they often turn it off when it's crazy busy so that makes it an unreliable strategy.

Thanks!

he's right
    I get the hummus sandwich at Columbia Harbor House nearly every trip.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    I get the hummus sandwich at Columbia Harbor House nearly every trip.
    Same; we make it at home as well! If you aren't huge eaters, we like ordering small plates at Nomad Lounge. I thought the salmon at ABC Commissary was pretty good. Sunshine Seasons has a good variety of healthier options. Tangierine Cafe is on the list for our trip this year.

You've probably already thought of Satuli Canteen. And I hear what you say about salads, but I had the Energy Salad at Electric Umbrella as recommended by Josh, and it was pretty good.

At Epcot, we’ve had good luck at sunshine seasons, and we usually go to the QS in the France pavilion, although the seating area is small. The food there is really good, and we usually split items so we don’t get too full.

At AK, flame tree bbq is good, but the seating is outside. I surprisingly enjoyed the shrimp flatbread (during Lent) at pizzafari, which has a lot of indoor seating. I’d also say the small plates at Nomad lounge would be a good bet, but not sure how you feel about dining with kids at the lounge.

HS is a little rough for healthier QS options. I’d check the menu at ABC commissary before your trip or maybe try the brown derby lounge, again I’m not sure how you feel about dining with kids at the lounge.

MK, there are some healthy options at CCH, but I can’t really think of any others.
    Brandi

Our favorite TS that takes a reasonable amount of time and is certainly the most reasonably priced in WDW is The Plaza in MK. We've never had a bad meal there and I don't feel like Mickey has reached into my wallet when I pay the bill.

We are also trying mainly trip next time for similar reasons

AM Satuli canteen for bowls. We will give flame tree another chance
    HS we may skip meal unless some of the new are good or pay for sci oo
    MK Bog and Peccos
    Epcot sunshine seasons but there are so many to choose from
    WPE is great. Not so healthy for us polite pig and deluxe burger. Did I read morimoto Asia have good QS?
    Resort we are saying at pofq and will also try por qs

I have heard good things for contemporary cafe and captains cook for monorail options on MK day

We want to eat at chef art Smith and boathouse again and will pay oop. My issue last time with TS was it's much harder to resist desserts and cocktails when they are part of the package and it is too much when travelling for 2 weeks. Prices high, rush or wait for reservations. Or worse both wait to be seated and rush to get out. We had some good meals but it would cost 930 USD to upgrade. I prefer keeping the cash or booking few DAH instead.

Turkey cobb salad at WP E is a favourite of mine
    Last edited by Nia; 05-23-2019 at 12:18 AM.

I enjoyed the Greek Salad with chicken at Cosmic Rays! Not a place you'd think of for health food but it was pretty good for a Disney salad.

Also if you head over to WL, the Grilled Portobello Salad at Geyser Point is delicious!!
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

Sunshine Seasons at epcot, We also like the Tutto Gusto wine bar, it has some healthier salads but overall maybe not so much. Satuli at AK or nomad would be our choices. MK is probably the hardest one. I feel like the food here is the most eh, We like skippers and the tofu curry is outstanding. Hollywood Studios we often end up at HBD lounge for a small cobb.

Quote Originally Posted by pixarprincess View Post
    We also like the Tutto Gusto wine bar, it has some healthier salads but overall maybe not so much. Satuli at AK or nomad would be our choices. MK is probably the hardest one. I feel like the food here is the most eh, We like skippers and the tofu curry is outstanding. Hollywood Studios we often end up at HBD lounge for a small cobb.
    Love all of this, but chiming in to say that the A/C in Tutto Gusto is a real treat on Epcot day and makes everything there (food, wine, hard wooden seats) just sublime. :)

Not sure if you only mean in the parks, but one of the most satisfying healthy meals Iíve had in WDW was at geyser point (WL). Beautiful setting, amazing salad, and edemame app. Really one of my favorite wdw meals ever.

Other than that sutli (AK), and sunshine seasons, or tangerine cafe (EP)

Thanks everyone, those are all great suggestions!!!
    We are in such a rut with our WDW vacations that I'm really enjoying suggestions outside our usual.

he's right
    I missed the value TS request. Some of my go-to “moderately priced” TS locations include: The Wave, Sanaa, and Olivia’s. The latter is out of the way, but it is a lovely escape when the crowds elsewhere in WDW become maddening. I’m not sure why, but it always has been an oasis for me at WDW. (That could be down to personal experience, but IDK.)

The boathouse is signature but actually paying oop I found it great value for quality. I had delicious ahi tuna there.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    I missed the value TS request. Some of my go-to “moderately priced” TS locations include: The Wave, Sanaa, and Olivia’s. The latter is out of the way, but it is a lovely escape when the crowds elsewhere in WDW become maddening. I’m not sure why, but it always has been an oasis for me at WDW. (That could be down to personal experience, but IDK.)
    Wave, Sanaa and Olivia's are some of my favorites too!
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    The Plaza had always been on my list of moderately priced TS venues, but looking at the menu for our dinner reservation in July and adjusting that perspective. There's a definite increase in average price with the elimination of some of the lower-priced entrees like the Reuben. A $22 burger with tax and tip is close to $30 - it's no longer "just a few dollars more than a QS" pricing. I acknowledge that it's better quality than a QS burger, but I wouldn't label it a "value" or "moderately priced."
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.