Thread: Departure time selection for flight home MCO 12/23

Departure time selection for flight home MCO 12/23

Hello everyone - I just noticed that there are only seven seats left on the flight I'm looking at for our December trip but wanted to get some confirmation from my experts before I pulled the trigger. Generally, I prefer to arrive as early as possible to start my trip and leave as late as I can at the end. We typically tour quite extensively on our departure day. This is our first trip during the Christmas season. I presume the parks will not be enjoyable past maybe the first hour and a half on 12/23 and as the day progresses the traffic to the airport and possibility of delays will increase. Seems that the 7:00 a.m. flight makes the most sense. Thoughts?
    2007 Offsite, 2009 OKW, 2012 WH, 2013 WBC, 2013 Pop, 2014 WBC, 2015 Pop, 2016 Pop, 2017 Solterra, 2017 WH, 2017 Sheraton Vistana, 2018 Offsite, 2018 St Georges Manor, 2018 WH/Boardwalk, 2018 ASMo, 2018 Disneyland offsite, 2019 Easter Disneyland offsite, 2019 OKW

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Oof, that's a 4am Magical Express. Don't really understand the rest of your logic, but a 2:30am or 3am wake up call is unappealing given just about any other alternative.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

We will have a rental car to return hence the concern about traffic to the airport during a busy season and yes, that would certainly be an early wakeup call. Just wondering if the touring would be a valid reason to leave later in the day?
    2007 Offsite, 2009 OKW, 2012 WH, 2013 WBC, 2013 Pop, 2014 WBC, 2015 Pop, 2016 Pop, 2017 Solterra, 2017 WH, 2017 Sheraton Vistana, 2018 Offsite, 2018 St Georges Manor, 2018 WH/Boardwalk, 2018 ASMo, 2018 Disneyland offsite, 2019 Easter Disneyland offsite, 2019 OKW

I can't speak to the traffic to the airport. We have never toured on departure day, and probably never will. But you have, and you're an experienced visitor. We found the parks to be just as enjoyable during the insane Christmas season as in the heavy summer crowds of years ago, actually better because no heat. You know what you're doing; it would be great fun!

I've never been during the holiday season but nothing sounds more depressing to me than a 3am wakeup to leave Walt Disney World. Why not go do a couple hours at a park first? Hit a few favorites and then hit the road?
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

It is super early to wake up, but it might be worth it. We traveled 12/24 and 12/28 last year. The worst "traffic" was actually when you got into MCO-for the security lines. We had a late flight out on the 28th. It got so backed up they started using dogs to sniff you as you went by instead of having you put your carry-on's though the scanners. When we flew to Disney on the 24th we took a 7am flight and even though waking up early was hard, the lines and traffic were much more reasonable.

You do what you have to do. Our upcoming trip, the flight to MCO leaves at 5am. Since we need to get to the airport earlier than that and we live a little more an hour away from the airport, we anticipate leaving by 2:30am. But we are going to Disney, can sleep on the plane and arrive in Orlando with plenty of time to not waste the day.

Flying home early to avoid traffic and security lines is the same as doing rope drop. We wait an hour to get into the parks to avoid waiting 3 hours on lines.
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

If you have precheck I might do a later flight. Without precheck I think I'd worry about long lines at MCO security and do the early flight, as painful as that sounds. An earlier flight is also less likely to be delayed or connections missed.

he's right
    The choices aren't "tour on departure day" or "leave early." It is possible to leave later *and* not tour on departure day. I know the siren song of the Parks will be there, but we like taking it easy on our departure day. We sleep in a little. We can take our time packing. We can grab brunch somewhere. (Olivia's or maybe Kona). We have plenty of time to get to the airport if we are driving, and leave lots of room for error. It is as low-stress as a travel day can be, and a nice way to deal with re-entry to the Real World.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    The choices aren't "tour on departure day" or "leave early." It is possible to leave later *and* not tour on departure day. I know the siren song of the Parks will be there, but we like taking it easy on our departure day. We sleep in a little. We can take our time packing. We can grab brunch somewhere. (Olivia's or maybe Kona). We have plenty of time to get to the airport if we are driving, and leave lots of room for error. It is as low-stress as a travel day can be, and a nice way to deal with re-entry to the Real World.
    Yes, I agree this sounds much better. The holidays are crazy for travel, but I don’t think getting up at 3 or 4 in the morning for the possibility of avoiding a crowded airport is less stressful than dealing with a crowded airport.
    Brandi

leaving that early can also affect your last park day. Will you feel you need to make time that day to pack, get to bed a bit earlier?

Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate each of your opinions. ;)