Thread: Uber/Lyft pick up at MCO

that's a shame

Uber/Lyft pick up at MCO

I assume we request the pick up after we have our luggage. Approximately how long does it take for the car to arrive?
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    It varies. Usually less than 5 minutes but in the app you'll see actual GPS locations of Uber drivers so you can get a sense if there are several nearby or if they're all 8-10 minutes away or whatever.

ETA: This is for the "normal" UberX. If you're requesting Uber Black or an SUV or something more specialized, your wait could be a little longer because there are fewer of those.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    It varies. Usually less than 5 minutes but in the app you'll see actual GPS locations of Uber drivers so you can get a sense if there are several nearby or if they're all 8-10 minutes away or whatever.

ETA: This is for the "normal" UberX. If you're requesting Uber Black or an SUV or something more specialized, your wait could be a little longer because there are fewer of those.
    Thanks. It'll be regular Uber or Lyft (Lyft has been sending me discount codes pretty regularly, so recently it's been all Lyft) . Carry on bag only. I'm trying to get a ballpark time for landing to getting to the resort.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    If you're a party of one or two, consider UberPool or whatever Lyft's name for theirs is, if they offer that. You'll save a substantial amount of money (do a "test pickup" on your app to see the current fare), and might not even have to share the ride.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    If you're a party of one or two, consider UberPool or whatever Lyft's name for theirs is, if they offer that. You'll save a substantial amount of money (do a "test pickup" on your app to see the current fare), and might not even have to share the ride.
    Might that slow us down if we end up sharing the ride? That I would not like.

I will never do Uber Pool again. I had a horrible experience with it in Boston that was supposed to save me about $15 but it kept adding people who were not really on the route and it took an extra 45 minutes for what should have been a 20 minute ride. The complete lack of control was infuriating. You’re at the complete mercy of an algorithm.

Imagine being halfway between MCO and your resort, pleased you’re making good time, and the driver gets pinged to stop at the Target on Orange Blossom, so you pull off 418 and wait while the dude loads his groceries into the car and then you end up dropping him off first at a resort on International drive and now you’re stuck in THAT traffic trying to fight your way onto WDW property... and that’s if you only pick up ONE extra passenger. Add two more and the driver can’t control it, that’s the Uber algorithm optimization! And you would have been better off on Magical express. Or just paying for Uber X and not trying to save $15. But that’s just me...

Not even sure they offer pool in Orlando. They haven't but it could have been added

They use a central holding area at MCO. It's about 5 or 6 min away. So pretty much all rides take the same time

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    I will never do Uber Pool again. I had a horrible experience with it in Boston that was supposed to save me about $15 but it kept adding people who were not really on the route and it took an extra 45 minutes for what should have been a 20 minute ride. The complete lack of control was infuriating. You’re at the complete mercy of an algorithm.

Imagine being halfway between MCO and your resort, pleased you’re making good time, and the driver gets pinged to stop at the Target on Orange Blossom, so you pull off 418 and wait while the dude loads his groceries into the car and then you end up dropping him off first at a resort on International drive and now you’re stuck in THAT traffic trying to fight your way onto WDW property... and that’s if you only pick up ONE extra passenger. Add two more and the driver can’t control it, that’s the Uber algorithm optimization! And you would have been better off on Magical express. Or just paying for Uber X and not trying to save $15. But that’s just me...
    I would not, could not, Uber pool.
    Unplanned stops would not be cool.
    Straight to Disney would be more funner.
    Thank you, thank you, DopeyRunr.

he's right
    Well-played, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    I would not, could not, Uber pool.
    Unplanned stops would not be cool.
    Straight to Disney would be more funner.
    Thank you, thank you, DopeyRunr.
    This is a great honor, Art you art.