Thread: Tampa Airport

Tampa Airport

Hi Everyone,
    Wondering if anyone has every flown home from WDW via Tampa airport. Ordinarily this would be bonkers because of the money you'd save from MDE, but the cost in flights home is $125 less per person. With our fam of 4,that's $500 in savings, but of course we'd have to pay to get there. I've looked up renting a car but wondering if anyone has taken a taxi / car service / uber ? Does anyone remember the cost? Any insight would be appreciated.
    Oct 2017 POLY (first time with Family)
    Aug 2018 Pop/YC (split stay)
    Aug 2019 YC

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    I've done it many times (in both directions). In each case I did a one-way rental from TPA returning to the Car Care Center (near the Magic Kingdom toll booths) or the Swan/Dolphin -- depending upon which was more convenient for our park plans. To return to TPA from WDW I did a one-way rental from the Car Care Center to TPA. I either got the free shuttle to the Car Care Center (you call and schedule from wherever you're getting picked up - time-consuming but free) or taken an Uber to the Car Care Center (much faster but will cost around $10). The free shuttle ended up taking a little more than an hour so that was a one-and-done experience for me.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    I've done it many times (in both directions). In each case I did a one-way rental from TPA returning to the Car Care Center (near the Magic Kingdom toll booths) or the Swan/Dolphin -- depending upon which was more convenient for our park plans. To return to TPA from WDW I did a one-way rental from the Car Care Center to TPA. I either got the free shuttle to the Car Care Center (you call and schedule from wherever you're getting picked up - time-consuming but free) or taken an Uber to the Car Care Center (much faster but will cost around $10). The free shuttle ended up taking a little more than an hour so that was a one-and-done experience for me.
    Thanks! This is very helpful. We are staying at YC so the CCC at Swan/Dolphin might even be walkable! Do they have all rental companies or do you us a specific one?
    Aug 2019 YC

Quote Originally Posted by J&J's Dad View Post
    Thanks! This is very helpful. We are staying at YC so the CCC at Swan/Dolphin might even be walkable! Do they have all rental companies or do you us a specific one?
    It's definitely walkable from the YC as we've done that many times from the Beach Club. The Swan has an Alamo/National desk for sure but I don't know they have separate desks for other companies.

I've only used National.

There definitely are car services that will take you, but I doubt you'll be able to find one for less than the cost of renting a car for one day (twice). I live a little ways from the Tampa airport, and sometimes I see car services advertising that they'll take you to Orlando, and while I can't recall specific prices, they always seem much higher than renting a car. There IS absolutely a convenience factor, and time is money at WDW, but when you consider that you'd also need something bigger than a standard cab to fit you all comfortably along with your luggage, it probably isn't worth it.

Thanks, Lilli. This would only be for returning home. We'd still fly into MCO as that particular day, prices are in-line. We're flying back home over Labor Day Weekend, and with SWGE just launching that week (yes I absolutely think this impacting travel costs in/out of Orlando), I've found TPA to be quite less. I was even thinking of taking DME back to MCO and renting the car there as transferring from airport to airport is generally cheaper, but given that I can just walk from YC to a rental lot, the added premium to that would be worth it.
    Aug 2019 YC

Quote Originally Posted by J&J's Dad View Post
    Thanks, Lilli. This would only be for returning home. We'd still fly into MCO as that particular day, prices are in-line. We're flying back home over Labor Day Weekend, and with SWGE just launching that week (yes I absolutely think this impacting travel costs in/out of Orlando), I've found TPA to be quite less. I was even thinking of taking DME back to MCO and renting the car there as transferring from airport to airport is generally cheaper, but given that I can just walk from YC to a rental lot, the added premium to that would be worth it.
    I have found the Car Care Center to be cheaper than MCO once you figure in the taxes/airport fees. The base rate is usually the same but they add on so many additional mandatory fees and taxes when you pick up at an airport it's worth pricing both out (and also consider the value of your vacation time if you were to pick up at MCO).

We have flown home from Tampa several times. But we always have a rental car so it hasn't really impacted us that much. To return the car to Tampa instead of Orlando does cost a bit more, but not more than the savings we get from flying home from Tampa. I will say that the flights this year for the summer are very expensive compared to prior years for the same week. I don't think it is galaxy edge related because I think the prices were high before they even announced GE was opening that week.
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

We flew in / out of Tampa this year, it saved us $1200 over MCO. Even with getting 1 night hotel in Tampa and 2 one-way rentals, it was a savings. We did the pick up at Car Care / drive to Tampa. It was an easy / quick drive and overall I'd recommend it.

You might also price flying out of Sanford, it's closer and would therefore probably be cheaper to get Uber / Lyft.