Thread: MK Tours

MK Tours

I am planning to book our Keys to the Kingdom tour this week on our 180 day mark....have any of you done this recently? We are super excited about it I just have a couple of questions. Does one day of the week seem any better than another? Also, we are looking at doing the 10:00 time slot if it's available~ again, does any of the few time options make a difference?
    Thanks for any info/suggestions!!

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    We're thrilled to be going the first week of July. Our daughter turns 16 this month so she's finally old enough to go (we've been wanting to go for years). From my research there is no difference from day to day, or time slot to time slot. We chose the 8am time slot so we could do part of it in an unopened park (hopefully) and be done with the tour early afternoon.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Our daughter was 16 in April and we have been waiting for all these years for the last one to be 16 so we can all go! LOL!!
    Ok,~ thanks for the info on that!! I wanted to do 8 also, for the same reason~ but my people are begging for later!!!

Haha that's a funny coincidence. 16 seems awfully old, considering what I know about the tour. 12 or 14 seems mature enough to be able to handle the tour, but we're glad to be over the hump.

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    It's interesting that the YES program does behind-the-scenes stuff and allows younger ages. My 12-yr-old son is there right now. Today was MK where they go into Space Mountain with the lights on (and I think they ride with lights on). DW and I did KTTK a number of years ago and enjoyed it a lot. I'll have to get the scoop from the boy when he gets home to see how much "magic" they actually revealed...
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) Disney Institute (Jun 97) CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) FW/VWL (Nov 10) Poly (Mar 11, May 11) BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) SSR (Oct 11) YC (Oct 12) Swan (Oct 13) WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) Pop (Oct 14) POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) CBR (Dec 15) ASMo (Dec 16)

I agree, 16 seems old. I've done the tour and enjoyed it and am certain my 12 year old nephew could have done it and enjoyed it. But I suppose they are concerned about potentially less-mature kids on a tour with adults. Since the YES program is specifically geared to kids there wouldn't be as much concern about disturbing the adultness of the tour maybe?

I definitely enjoyed KTTK more than Backstage Magic.

I should add we did the 8 am tour and it didn't feel like time with the park to ourselves. At least when we did it the first portion was on Main street anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I definitely enjoyed KTTK more than Backstage Magic.
    This is good intel. I am considering booking KTTK for myself and DS21 for our October trip. I was starting to second guess whether I should consider springing for Backstage Magic instead. The price point for Backstage Magic is more than I really want to add to this trip so I am glad to know you enjoyed KTTK more anyway.
    Jen

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I should add we did the 8 am tour and it didn't feel like time with the park to ourselves. At least when we did it the first portion was on Main street anyway.
    Yeah we booked it before they started letting people in so early. Before that, though, I would have expected Main Street to be pretty quiet - just PPO breakfast reservations would have gotten in that early, right?

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    Yeah we booked it before they started letting people in so early. Before that, though, I would have expected Main Street to be pretty quiet - just PPO breakfast reservations would have gotten in that early, right?
    Yes. But by the time everyone was checked in, ordered their lunch, got a head set, water bottle, one last bathroom break, introductions etc it was no longer quite so early. My recollection was being about halfway down mainstreet when the crowds poured in. It may be different now, this was a few years ago. And in July I would absolutely choose 8 am just due to weather considerations.

Have a great trip! The tour is lots of fun!

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to it!!

Many years ago we did one of the tour in WS of EPCOT. The tour started when the park opened, but since WS doesn't open until 11 we had 2 hours there without anyone else. I must say it was fabulous. Walking around, seeing things, and not worrying about crowds. We could hear the guide, we didn't have to push past anyone or worry about falling behind etc. If you can get a tour that starts at 8am before the park opens I highly recommend it.

On a side note, it is frustrating that for a ticket and a meal plan kids start to count as adults at the age of 9, but clearly they are not if Disney wants them to be 16 before they can go on these tours. My 14 year old would be over the moon if she could do a tour. She is plenty mature and I don't see why Disney says they have to 16. If 16 to them is an adult for tours, then 9 to 15 should be teen and I should not have to pay full adult entry price for them. Just my little vent.
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFredricksen View Post
    On a side note, it is frustrating that for a ticket and a meal plan kids start to count as adults at the age of 9, but clearly they are not if Disney wants them to be 16 before they can go on these tours. My 14 year old would be over the moon if she could do a tour. She is plenty mature and I don't see why Disney says they have to 16. If 16 to them is an adult for tours, then 9 to 15 should be teen and I should not have to pay full adult entry price for them. Just my little vent.
    Very few tours require 16. KTTK may be the only one. Behind the Seeds is one of the best, also the least expensive, and there's no minimum age. Most of the others are 8/10/12 years old.

That DestiNations tour Mr. Fredricksen is referencing is one that has a minimum age of 16. Also, the official tour site says that the "Age Interest" for that tour includes "Teens"

I did the 8am tour last month. The first portion of the tour is on main street and we got a very slight jump ahead of the crowd for our first part in the park. With the 8 am tour we ended up eating lunch around 10:30. I've heard the age for the tour is 16 & up so as not to ruin the magic for younger guests. You go backstage so there is the possibility of seeing the characters not in character or non face characters without a mask. Loved the tour though!

Quote Originally Posted by aobrien View Post
    I've heard the age for the tour is 16 & up so as not to ruin the magic for younger guests. You go backstage so there is the possibility of seeing the characters not in character or non face characters without a mask. Loved the tour though!
    That is the party line, but I don't know that I'm buying it. As Steve pointed out there are behind-the-scenes opportunities for younger kids in the YES program and no mention of ruining the magic.

Quote Originally Posted by aobrien View Post
    I've heard the age for the tour is 16 & up so as not to ruin the magic for younger guests. You go backstage so there is the possibility of seeing the characters not in character or non face characters without a mask. Loved the tour though!
    My 14 year old knows there is a person inside the Mickey costume. There will be no risk of losing the magic. Probably the reverse. Seeing how it is all done I think will fascinate many kids. I remember one time Space Mountain was closed for refurb and we went on the people mover where it goes inside the ride and we could see some of it with the lights on. The kids loved it and wished they had a better view of it.
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.