Thread: Need a FP Primer - it's been awhile! Helpful links appreciated

Need a FP Primer - it's been awhile! Helpful links appreciated

We haven't been to WDW in a few years and my how things have changed! My head is spinning! I need recs on a good article on exactly how the new FPs work, how to maximize the system. Looks like you can't do throwaway nights anymore? We are staying offsite to use up Marriott VC points, trip is 8/2-8/9. Despite three trips over the past few years, we still have not been able to ride FOP or Frozen. I miss the good ol' days of paper fastpasses and using once the window expired. Any help is much appreciated.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Josh has comprehensive guides that should answer your questions. Go to his website: https://www.easywdw.com/easy/

Hover over the theme park names at the top of the screen and select Theme Park Touring for a guide which will include information on FP+ priorities and strategies for touring each park most effectively.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    Josh has comprehensive guides that should answer your questions. Go to his website: https://www.easywdw.com/easy/

Hover over the theme park names at the top of the screen and select Theme Park Touring for a guide which will include information on FP+ priorities and strategies for touring each park most effectively.
    Thanks! I was having a hard time navigating the page. Does Josh still post Least Crowded Parks Charts to created itineraries of which parks on which days?

no

I’d look through his recent blog posts. He had some posts within the last few months on that.

People seem to plan park days based on FP availability more than anything, but Josh did have some advice.
    June 2011 Poly, May 2013 POR, June 2015 CBR, June 2017 POR, March 2018 CSR, June 2018 POR

We try to use our FPs early in the day and search the system for the 4th+ FPs sooner in the day. We also like having our 1st FP be in the first hour window so that if we oversleep ropedrop we still have a ride to walk-on, and if we make ropedrop we do those rides before hitting our first FP at the end of its window.

Our trip this past March was onsite for 5 days and we were not able to secure a FoP FP until the 5th and last day of our trip. After we used up our 3 FPs at AK that morning (starting with a FoP FP), I started refreshing the system again while we were eating lunch around 1pm and found another FP for FoP at 2:30p. We've had much luck with this method over our trips for our party of 3. We even found an Illuminations late on our Epcot day too.

We grab any FP that seems good, then keep going back in to modify either for a better/closer time or ride. At least you'll have something while on the prowl for better. Goodluck! Just because a ride shows no FPs left for that day does not mean some will not show up later, usually because other people release them but sometimes WDW adds extra in too.

Refresh is your friend. The easiest refresh is by just clicking the time windows at the top. If the system is giving you trouble, close the app and re-open. If the app is down, try using safari or the browser on your phone. Once you reach the tapstyle for your FP ride, look for your next FP right there on line (if pressed for time, grab any FP and modify later). MK usually has the best availability, we often get 8+ FPs/day without even trying too hard during average crowds.
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA

If the system is giving you trouble, close the app and re-open.
    ^ It is normal to need to do this several times a day.

Also, make sure you have backup for your battery. You will need it! :D
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyHeather View Post
    we often get 8+ FPs/day without even trying too hard during average crowds.
    My wife and son were at WDW this past weekend - my son was participating in the YES program thru school. They were at MK on Monday. After using their 3 initial FPs they got a 4th for Buzz and then a 5th for Buzz again. At that point my wife said the MDE app told her "you're finished with FP for the day". I obviously wasn't there to validate, but has anyone heard about a FP limit? That was completely news to me...
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) Disney Institute (Jun 97) CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) FW/VWL (Nov 10) Poly (Mar 11, May 11) BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) SSR (Oct 11) YC (Oct 12) Swan (Oct 13) WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) Pop (Oct 14) POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) CBR (Dec 15) ASMo (Dec 16)

I have never experienced a limit and have not heard of it happening. Could she have misread the message? When there has been a glitch or nearing park close, I’ve seen a message that says “FastPass distribution has ended for the day” or something to that effect. If it is a glitch or the system had gone down, it will eventually allow more FP booking once things are fixed.
    June 2004 ASMO; Dec 2005 POP; Feb 2007 POP; March 2011 POR; March 2014 POR; Feb 2015 BWV; Sept 2015 PVB; Jan 2016 AKV Jambo (kind of); Feb 2016 OKW; Sept 2016 PVB; Feb/March 2017 BWV/PVB; Aug/Sept 2017 BCV; Feb 2018 BLT/CCV

MY TRIP REPORTS

There was a day in the last week that the FP+ system was down, but it’s more likely she misunderstood a message.

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    There was a day in the last week that the FP+ system was down, but it’s more likely she misunderstood a message.
    That's what I was thinking too. I'm usually the MDE/FP "manager" when we're at WDW, but didn't go on this trip.
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) Disney Institute (Jun 97) CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) FW/VWL (Nov 10) Poly (Mar 11, May 11) BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) SSR (Oct 11) YC (Oct 12) Swan (Oct 13) WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) Pop (Oct 14) POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) CBR (Dec 15) ASMo (Dec 16)

Quote Originally Posted by HeyHeather View Post
    We try to use our FPs early in the day and search the system for the 4th+ FPs sooner in the day. We also like having our 1st FP be in the first hour window so that if we oversleep ropedrop we still have a ride to walk-on, and if we make ropedrop we do those rides before hitting our first FP at the end of its window.
    This is good advice and sometimes gets lost when explaining to people the minutiae of FP+.
    I am @GrtBigBeautiful on DizTwitter