Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Magic Band choices (discounted) for onsite stays

New Magic Band choices (discounted) for onsite stays

It looks like instead of the usual 7 solid color choices, onsite guests can now choose from a selection of character magic bands for only $10!

I can't wait to do this! Hoping that it goes live before I need to customize MB for my June trip.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-world-resort/

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    I wish they would post a date for when this goes live. I have an early July trip and I'd love to get something new and different.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    I wish they would post a date for when this goes live. I have an early July trip and I'd love to get something new and different.
    Well, a comment on the linked article says they heard from someone who called and was told by a CM that it goes live May 15. And if that's not take-it-to-the-bank-solid then what can we trust in this world?
    But it's all we got.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by mgarbowski View Post
    Well, a comment on the linked article says they heard from someone who called and was told by a CM that it goes live May 15. And if that's not take-it-to-the-bank-solid then what can we trust in this world?
    But it's all we got.
    My Authoritative WDW Information Source (tm) rankings:
    1) WDW bus driver
    2) Phone CM
    3) My barber who hasn't been to WDW since 1975
    4) WDW Magic forums
    5) Jim Hill

I'd think WDW wouldn't release that kind of news too far in advance from the anticipated start date to limit the number people upset that their trip falls within the gap. Let me call my bus driver tho :D They'll know!
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol

Heather I agree it will probably be soon and the May 15 date makes sense to me for that reason, but who knows. A newer comment claims that the option will only be for people who make reservations after the date, whatever it is, which seems ridiculous.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

Either way our customizing window closes may 13th so I am bummed that we will JUST miss this option.

Quote Originally Posted by pixarprincess View Post
    Either way our customizing window closes may 13th so I am bummed that we will JUST miss this option.
    If I were you, I would wait until after the 15th and customize. That video says you can do it 11 days before your trip. So maybe they are changing the deadline as part of this change. Worst case scenario you use old magic bands (if you have them) or get free gray ones at check in (if you donít). So me personally, Iím gonna wait to customize and risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by CJG17 View Post
    If I were you, I would wait until after the 15th and customize. That video says you can do it 11 days before your trip. So maybe they are changing the deadline as part of this change. Worst case scenario you use old magic bands (if you have them) or get free gray ones at check in (if you don’t). So me personally, I’m gonna wait to customize and risk it.
    I had already done it before they announced the change. I do it pretty much immediately otherwise I inevitably end up forgetting to do it.

May 15th, no change. :(

May 15th, no change. :(
    Comments on the original Disney Parks blog post now have official responses indicating that the going live date has been pushed back with no new date, and that anyone who still is within the time to personalize will be eligible.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,

Quote Originally Posted by mgarbowski View Post
    Comments on the original Disney Parks blog post now have official responses indicating that the going live date has been pushed back with no new date, and that anyone who still is within the time to personalize will be eligible.
    so if you only have a couple days left to personalize, you can still get the new options? That seems like it must be rolling out tomorrow then?

so if you only have a couple days left to personalize, you can still get the new options? That seems like it must be rolling out tomorrow then?
    Sorry I worded that poorly. I meant anyone who still is within the time to personalize when it goes live​ will be eligible. I did get the sense it would be soon, but not necessarily the next day or so.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,

I just read through the comments and I’m pleased to learn that when it goes live people who are eligible will be eligible.

WHY did they pre-announce this without a launch date? WHY pre-announce at all. It’s just going to get people who are paying close attention to wait until the very last minute to customize, and then get frustrated when the new system hasn’t launched.

agreed, I was hoping to take advantage but likely wont happen this trip. It would have been nice had they included a date. O well not the end of the world.

Yeah at the end of the day it’s just a $10 discount on something I wouldn’t have bought anyway, so I guess it’s good that the program is delayed? ��

pretty much where I am at... I'd do it if it was an option but seriously dont need it. so I guess thanks Disney for saving me the $$ by delaying?

I wonder how they will handle the solid colors (like Lavender and Turquoise) that have never been offered for free, but are priced on the website the same as the other solid colors that are free with a hotel stay.
    Jen

Quote Originally Posted by BSS View Post
    I wonder how they will handle the solid colors (like Lavender and Turquoise) that have never been offered for free, but are priced on the website the same as the other solid colors that are free with a hotel stay.
    it sounds like you are just getting a credit/discount toward the purchase, but it also insinuated limited selection so... my guess would be either they will be free or they wont be part of the offering. If I had to wager probably the latter, as for disney this is just a way to get more of our $$

Quote Originally Posted by pixarprincess View Post
    as for disney this is just a way to get more of our $$
    It's a pretty smart marketing strategy. If you get a free magic band, you're less likely to spend $25 on a custom one. So you've got this whole segment of your customer base disinclined to purchase a product which they use more than any other customer segment. And Disney's cost to manufacture the "free" Magic Band and the Magic Bands with designs is practically the same. So instead of giving you a Magic Band for free, they're selling it to you for $10 or $15. And like an idiot, I'm disappointed that this program isn't rolling out fast enough. It's a pretty smart marketing strategy.

It's a pretty smart marketing strategy. If you get a free magic band, you're less likely to spend $25 on a custom one. So you've got this whole segment of your customer base disinclined to purchase a product which they use more than any other customer segment. And Disney's cost to manufacture the "free" Magic Band and the Magic Bands with designs is practically the same. So instead of giving you a Magic Band for free, they're selling it to you for $10 or $15. And like an idiot, I'm disappointed that this program isn't rolling out fast enough. It's a pretty smart marketing strategy.
    This is exactly right, and I'm surprised that it took Disney this long to figure it out. Because there really is almost no cost difference in production, then anything Disney gets you to pay for a character MB is pure bonus cash for them. It's like the super size soda at a theater that is 2x as big for just $0.50.

But the truly genius part of it now is they only made some of the character bands part of this program. So you take a family of four who never paid extra for character bands, entice them with a new "discount" program for some of the character bands, but some family members will want a character not in the program, and suddenly they're paying $20x2 for "discount" bands and $25x2 for others and Disney pockets an extra $70 for almost nothing.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,

And like an idiot, I'm disappointed that this program isn't rolling out fast enough.
    Right there with you! Hoping for a Minnie Mouse band for my July trip. I need a Minnie Mouse magic band as much as I need a hole in my head.

my guess would be either they will be free or they wont be part of the offering. If I had to wager probably the latter, as for disney this is just a way to get more of our $$
    I kind of assumed the solid colors that aren't already free offerings would be omitted from the program.

It's a pretty smart marketing strategy. If you get a free magic band, you're less likely to spend $25 on a custom one. So you've got this whole segment of your customer base disinclined to purchase a product which they use more than any other customer segment.
    Oh it's definitely brilliant and I am shocked that they didn't do it sooner. I have said every trip since the advent of Magic Bands that I wish they would give me the "value" of a plain one towards a character one and have been shocked they didn't realize the error of their ways - which would get them more of my money - sooner.
    Jen

IT'S LIVE!!!!

...but it's not working right for me. :/

IT'S LIVE!!!!

...but it's not working right for me. :/
    Same. I get the big splash page announcing the new program, and "systemErrorDefaults.429.errorTitle" when I try to access it.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,